Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Guilford Pregame
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Guilford Pregame
(11-12-2021 08:09 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 08:01 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  Fornes was our best 3 pt threat against Illinois St. At the same time I don’t think he should be playing as many minutes as he is.

If someone else could hit a shot that might cut his minutes

Bingo. But it is more difficult when there is little ball movement and you just jack up a three. Fornes had knocked down a couple open 3s at the end of the first half.
11-12-2021 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(11-12-2021 08:19 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  Bingo. But it is more difficult when there is little ball movement and you just jack up a three. Fornes had knocked down a couple open 3s at the end of the first half.

Our half court offense looks terrible. Until it doesn't, every team is going to go into that zone an let us jack up threes. Our shooters as of yet have yet to demonstrate they can break the zone.
11-12-2021 08:24 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
Why are we not trapping the hell out of a smaller team? Why are we getting out rebounded by a much smaller team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-12-2021 08:27 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
And why the hell is Thomas riding the entire second half again?!?!?!

11-12-2021 08:45 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

This was Guilford's 3rd game in 4 days? Man...
11-12-2021 08:53 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
(11-12-2021 08:53 PM)70shawk Wrote:  This was Guilford's 3rd game in 4 days? Man...

That was rough guys no other way to slice it. Our game plan was poor , offense was stagnant, defense shotty, rebounding poor. If we were playing a decent D1 team tonight we’d have gotten blown out on our own floor. IMO this was our worst game post Keatts sad but true

11-12-2021 09:03 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(11-12-2021 09:03 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  IMO this was our worst game post Keatts sad but true

Ugly...but I might have a game or two in the McGrath era that you might want to reconsider05-duck

If one wants to loom on the bright side, a bigger win might have allowed us to overlook obvious flaws that need to be addressed immediately. Coach didn't paper over anything in the postgame interview.

We need to get a lot better quickly.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2021 09:13 PM by 70shawk.)
11-12-2021 09:13 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
We do not have the three point shooters and scorers needed to play the way Siddle wants to play. And our guys have to stay within their games.

Sims is NOT a drive to the bucket guy or in the paint players, he's a three point shooter.
Okauru is NOT a three point guy, he's a drive to the bucket guy.
Phillips is NOT a three point guy(but getting better), he's a drive to the bucket guy
Fornes is NOT a drive to the bucket guy, he's a three point shooter.
Baker is NOT a three point guy, he's a garbage bucket guy.
Oglesby may get his three point game together, but he needs to set his feet before he shoots.

1. Thomas didn't play a lot, but at least when Phillips was out he was our PG and did a great job. Had to keep Phillips in a lot, or we would have lost tonight.
2. Kelly needs to start at the five and bring in Baker for relief. Besides Phillips, he has been the most consistent so far and actually provides some interior offense, defense and shot blocking. Does a great job of running back on defense to challenge shots and is full on hustle.
3. Sims needs to start, but he needs to stay in his game, set his feet and shoot the three. The out of control drives hoping for a foul need to stop. He just isn't a drive and finish in the paint player.
4. Okauru needs to drive, drive, drive.

We're a four guard team, but our guards aren't great scorers and we need that. So i'd try this lineup.

start - Phillips, Fornes, Sims, White, Kelly
relief - Thomas, Okauru, Baker

That's my eight man rotation. Oglesby and Harvey are lagging right now.
11-12-2021 09:28 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
(11-12-2021 09:13 PM)70shawk Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 09:03 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  IMO this was our worst game post Keatts sad but true

Ugly...but I might have a game or two in the McGrath era that you might want to reconsider05-duck

If one wants to loom on the bright side, a bigger win might have allowed us to overlook obvious flaws that need to be addressed immediately. Coach didn't paper over anything in the postgame interview.

We need to get a lot better quickly.

I only caught the very end of the post game interview he did seem like he was a little hard on him but in the same sense he has to get better to the game plan was terrible his rotations were terrible obviously I know you do some experimenting in the games but man……. How you come into this game without a plan of pounding it inside in the halfcourt and trapping and pressing in the. Full is beyond me

11-12-2021 09:31 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

After watching the game,2 things stood out. Hawks didn't defend with enough intensity and the offense was stagnant without player and ball movement.

First off, give Guilford credit for playing well, they did. They executed very well in their half court offense and always seemed to pack the lane well which cut off driving lanes. They played a smart defensive game that packed it in with at lest 2-3 guys touching the paint but still got to shooters (see next paragraph).

What made matters worse, Hawks didn't reverse the ball well and never really had a high post guy to help facilitate that action (except out of the timeout that got the ball to Sims at the high post and then reversed it to Fornes for a 3 ball). That is a very underutilized ploy to help facilitate ball reversal and inside out action. And, can act as a high/low entry or at least a ball fake to a reversal. It's not entirely necessary to do that but just reverse the ball and at least fake the 45 degree entry before releasing it back. Heck, run a weave...something to get player and ball movement!

Again, we had a lot of standing and what I call "pocket dribbling". That is what I coached out of my teams. Nothing is happening and the clock is moving.

Defensive intensity picked up in the 2nd half and Mike realized that he needed to be what this team needed...a ball hawk and play off of that action. Once he did, he and the team was back in flow.

The positive side of this is that UNCW won the game and won this game giving their all on the defensive side of the ball. Also, it was good to see Mike and Jaylen step up when needed because they will be needed -role defintion is paramount and for whatever reason not there-they are leaders correct? Shy was Shy...very consistent player on both ends. And, Kelly emerged as a good rim defender/big man. I'm not against the 2 big look either at this point because Baker does have some guard skills and that gives better rim protection and boards.

You can see the talent in the young guys so stay positive here. It just wasn't their night to come through against a really strong effort from a well-coached team that had a few seniors that looked really good to me regardless of their record.

We won the game albeit ugly...lets get to work and play together! Go Hawks!!
11-13-2021 12:42 AM
Osprey#1 Offline
Bench Warmer

The first half of this game was shocking and disappointing. Better energy in the second half by our veteran players. Still, Shy was the only returning Seahawk who played consistently well. Thomas was a bright spot. He didn't get many minutes, but provided a spark when he was in. There was a brief period when Thomas and Phillips were in together and that combo seemed really effective. Guilford really played smart and well.

Hopefully this game is a wake-up call and our guys start recognizing their roles and playing as a team. We're better than this!
11-13-2021 06:51 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(11-12-2021 09:03 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 08:53 PM)70shawk Wrote:  This was Guilford's 3rd game in 4 days? Man...

That was rough guys no other way to slice it. Our game plan was poor , offense was stagnant, defense shotty, rebounding poor. If we were playing a decent D1 team tonight we’d have gotten blown out on our own floor. IMO this was our worst game post Keatts sad but true

Always with the hyperbole linked somehow to McGrath or Keatts. Not our worst game since Keatts and not even close. We have struggled to start the season, no doubt. Siddle is still trying out a whole bunch of guys to find out what he has and pretty much everyone is getting PT. We may not improve, who knows? But to say that was the worst game played by UNCW is ridiculous.

Here's a fewMcGrath specials for the sake of sanity

NDSU 100 UNCW 63 December 21, 2017. That's a 37 point loss. We won last night. NDSU finished 5th in the Summit league behind Fort Wayne and Denver with a 5-9 conference record

Furman 93 UNCW 50 December 15 2018. That's a 43 point loss. Furman finished second in the SoCon, but a 43 loss is far worse than an ugly win.

Davidson 87 UNCW 49 November 16, 2019. That's a 39 point loss. Davidson finished 10-8 in the A10 for sixth place and was 16-13 overall.

Wins over a DIII team are better than 40 point losses to midmajors no matter how you try to spin it. IMO, that loss to NDSU is one of the worst in the history of UNCW, much less since Keatts left.
11-13-2021 07:22 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
(11-13-2021 07:22 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(11-12-2021 09:03 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Always with the hyperbole linked somehow to McGrath or Keatts. Not our worst game since Keatts and not even close. We have struggled to start the season, no doubt. Siddle is still trying out a whole bunch of guys to find out what he has and pretty much everyone is getting PT. We may not improve, who knows? But to say that was the worst game played by UNCW is ridiculous.

Here's a fewMcGrath specials for the sake of sanity

NDSU 100 UNCW 63 December 21, 2017. That's a 37 point loss. We won last night. NDSU finished 5th in the Summit league behind Fort Wayne and Denver with a 5-9 conference record

Furman 93 UNCW 50 December 15 2018. That's a 43 point loss. Furman finished second in the SoCon, but a 43 loss is far worse than an ugly win.

Davidson 87 UNCW 49 November 16, 2019. That's a 39 point loss. Davidson finished 10-8 in the A10 for sixth place and was 16-13 overall.

Wins over a DIII team are better than 40 point losses to midmajors no matter how you try to spin it. IMO, that loss to NDSU is one of the worst in the history of UNCW, much less since Keatts left.

I’ll give you the ND loss . Last night was brutal on so many levels. just how brutal is yet to be determined. We are talking about a division 3 school. D3 for F sakes. They outplayed us for about 33 of 40 mins of that game. Coach talked in the pre game about getting “lots of dunks”. Really? That’s what your focus is on? Btw our first dunk against an undersized, under manned D3 school didn’t come until about 35 mins into the game . Don’t really need any spin here that was straight up hot garbage. The more concerning thing to me than the execution is we lacked a very obvious plan for this game.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2021 07:55 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
11-13-2021 07:48 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

What Siddle said:

"If you see some long faces and guys with bad body language, they need to pass the ball more. I'm never going to allow them to play 1-on-1 basketball like that.

They're upset with me right now because it's uncomfortable when people tell you the truth; it's uncomfortable when you're having to make changes, but I'm not here to be their friend; I'm here to coach them so we can win games, and I'm OK with that.”
11-13-2021 08:00 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
D3 basketball is much better than you guys think and D2s with a little size can play with most mid majors now with the way the game is played and coached . Even a 0-2 D3 can obviously play with a UNCW type talent .
11-13-2021 09:54 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Guilford Pregame
(11-13-2021 09:54 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  D3 basketball is much better than you guys think and D2s with a little size can play with most mid majors now with the way the game is played and coached . Even a 0-2 D3 can obviously play with a UNCW type talent .

I grew up 10 mins from one of the best D3 basketball schools in the northeast, I’m aware. They have no business playing with a decent UNcW team . Their center was 6’6, their PF was 6’3! Come on!

11-13-2021 10:01 AM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

Guilford has money issues. They start the season with 8 out of 9 games on the road. Maybe the floor of their gym is being rewaxed, but that's a strange way to open the season.

Their President resigned about a year ago because they had built new facilities while enrollment was dropping. The interim President recommended dropping many majors and subject areas. The students and some alumni objected and enough money was raised/pledged to stave off the cuts.

Guilford was great in NAIA from the mid-'60s through the late '70s. They won the NAIA in '73 and went to the Tournament in Kansas City several times. They had 4 alumni play in the NBA: Bob Kauffman, ML Carr, Greg Jackson, and World B. Free.

Guilford reached a fork in the road and opted to move to NCAA division III. They couldn't compete in basketball for 2 decades, but started winning again in the '00s.

50 years ago, if you had asked most fans which private school would move to NCAA DI, most fans would have said Guilford, not Elon, High Point, Campbell, or Gardner Webb.
11-13-2021 10:15 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
(11-13-2021 10:01 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(11-13-2021 09:54 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  D3 basketball is much better than you guys think and D2s with a little size can play with most mid majors now with the way the game is played and coached . Even a 0-2 D3 can obviously play with a UNCW type talent .

I grew up 10 mins from one of the best D3 basketball schools in the northeast, I’m aware. They have no business playing with a decent UNcW team . Their center was 6’6, their PF was 6’3! Come on!

Reading your post it sounds like you think UNCW is not a decent team at this point . Sounds like UNCW is small and not a great shooting team and that can be a problem . I have not seen them this year so I can't really speak to how they look right now .
11-13-2021 11:38 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2021 11:38 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(11-13-2021 10:01 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Reading your post it sounds like you think UNCW is not a decent team at this point . Sounds like UNCW is small and not a great shooting team and that can be a problem . I have not seen them this year so I can't really speak to how they look right now .

I don't think UNCW is a great shooting team, but I don't think we are small, we're just playing small. We could easily go 6'9", 6'7", 6'5", 6'4", 6'2" with Kelly, Baker, Sims, Okauru and Phillips and that would be an effective lineup.
11-13-2021 12:14 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I don’t think Hawks are small but not big either. The problem was defensive energy and half court offensive execution. The 3 ball percentage will be there if they can space and move the ball and move bodies.
11-13-2021 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.