Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Breaking: NMSu, Liberty, SHSU & Jax State to CUSA
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Breaking: NMSu, Liberty, SHSU & Jax State to CUSA
(11-01-2021 08:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 08:14 PM)jarmzet Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 08:11 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Oh yeah? Instead of departing teams somehow managing to vote to dissolve the conference, the most obvious potential outcome happened instead?

This has been said a million times, but departing members don't get a vote in conference matters after they declare they are leaving.

If everybody leaves, who gets to vote?04-cheers

Likely the charter specifies that the non-profit corporation is dissolved if everyone leaves, but if not, it is quite possible that state law in the state that the corporation is chartered in covered dissolution of a corporation and distribution of its assets if every member of the corporation leaves it.
11-02-2021 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(11-02-2021 09:16 AM)esayem Wrote:  Liberty, LaTech, NMSU, and UTEP is not bad at all for a basketball conference’s core.

Jacksonville St. and Sam Houston being in oversaturated football states is a nice little eff you to the Sun Belt and AAC.

FIU needs to figure themselves out.

C-USA needs one more full-time member and they’re good to go.

After seeing the UMass AD tweet, I imagine they’re trying to join as a football-only member. UConn might opt for Independence, but the two as a pair make more sense.

An eff you to the Sun Belt? Yeah, I bet the Sun Belt is really worried about Sam Houston State and Jacksonville State being in CUSA now. Lol
11-02-2021 09:32 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-02-2021 09:27 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  This alignment makes no sense. Spreading out from VA to Miami to NMSU with roughly 9 teams in all sports? It’s not like this conference is on par with the American with CSU and AFA…

The only thing I’m thinking is they need those exit fees so it’s important to scrap something together to preserve that. Once those fees are collected the conference will disband.

Even if Liberty and FIU are football only, I’d still have added predominantly in Texas and the Midwest. And they’d need 5 teams for all sports. Adding in GA, New Mexico, AND VA makes no sense.

Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's between this incinerated ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

And as bad as this incinerated CUSA is, backfilled with the independent dregs of FBS and FCS callups, it is better for all of them than independence. That's why independents like NMSU and Liberty are joining. This rump CUSA still has a TV contract, still gets a share of CFP money, and still has an autobid to the NCAA tourney. None of which they have if they go indy.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 09:44 AM by quo vadis.)
11-02-2021 09:32 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(11-02-2021 09:27 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  This alignment makes no sense. Spreading out from VA to Miami to NMSU with roughly 9 teams in all sports? It’s not like this conference is on par with the American with CSU and AFA…

The only thing I’m thinking is they need those exit fees so it’s important to scrap something together to preserve that. Once those fees are collected the conference will disband.

Even if Liberty and FIU are football only, I’d still have added predominantly in Texas and the Midwest. And they’d need 5 teams for all sports. Adding in GA, New Mexico, AND VA makes no sense.

First statement, yes. Its not hard to understand that are going to collect a large sum of money they are due. Who wouldnt?

Second statement, no. Its going to keep existing. Yes they will collect the fees, but that is not the reason the conference is moving on and adapting to current circumstances.

The conference is not going to be any more spread out than it has been for decades. Its called Conference USA for a reason. Same still applies.

Whoever anyone thinks they should add is irrelevant. Schools are already in other conferences. Disbanding a conference without a new conference waiting for you is unrealistic and no one does that.

No offense to Rutgers, but not many schools can flail along almost totally unsuccessfully, and still get an invitation to the Big 10 solely based on where you are located. That just doesn't happen much out here in the normal world.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 09:42 AM by Todor.)
11-02-2021 09:38 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(11-02-2021 09:32 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's been this incinerated ridonculously embarrasing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

And as bad as this incinerated CUSA is, backfilled with the independent dregs of FBS and FCS callups, it is better for all of them than independence. That's why independents like NMSU and Liberty are joining. This rump CUSA still has a TV contract, still gets a share of CFP money, and still has an autobid to the NCAA tourney. None of which they have if they go indy.
CUSA’s media deal is up after the 22-23 season. These teams will probably be joining for 23-24. They will need a new deal, but I can’t imagine it being for the same money.
11-02-2021 09:40 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(11-01-2021 09:53 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 08:42 PM)_sturt_ Wrote:  This seems to be eluding some, and not to step on any toes, but for what it's worth...

If programs exit by Aug 2023... and that may or may not be practical... CUSA football won't technically exist for that season unless they are able to coax all 5 FBS indys to join, making 8. The FCS schools they may add shortly will be meeting the annual June deadline for application to move up, and the NCAA manual explicitly says they cannot be reclassified until the August two years after that deadline... meaning, August 2024.

(Someone raised the fact that the manual also allows for an exception, but that exception also is explicit to one situation, ie, that a given school that had been FBS would fail to meet the requirements for the number of sports sponsored.)

That said, CUSA as a full-fledged FBS football conference still would be able to return for 2024... as far as I've been able to find, anyhow, there is no football penalty for skipping a year.

The manual specifically says there is a two year grace period. 3 can be a conference for two years then it’s over. ...

There is a two year grace period on being a division 1 multi-sport conference, maintaining continuity and keeping the NCAA Tourney bid. Close reading of the two year grace period on being an FBS conference is that it is only for one or more of the full members falling short of their qualifying sports numbers (which can happen because, say, an affiliate member leaves and cannot be replaced immediately, so a conference sponsored sport falls below its autobid number ... but that has an automatic two year grace period to be fixed, so it is only consistent for the overall autobid sports numbers to have the same grace period).

So it is one possible reading of the bylaws that with an explicit waiver granted by the waiver committee, a conference stops being an FBS conference the same season it falls below eight FBS members.

However (1) if it is only a single year as a consequence of FCS/FBS transition, that waiver seems like it would likely to be granted and (2) in any event, FBS status doesn't have any continuity rules, so even under the above reading, once the transition has completed, the FBS status would be regained immediately on having eight FBS members.

(11-01-2021 09:06 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 08:59 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  If they need 8 members to formally survive, can they take the non-football schools from the Sun (ALR / UTA) and UMass / UConn as FB only?

Well, they need 8 full FBS members to meet requirements, so that particular arrangement wouldn't help, but they'll be able to have their pick of several FCS teams. That's assuming MT and WK leave, if not they don't have to do anything else.

Yes, they would need one more full FBS member, but if they add a pair to replace WKU/MTSU and stay at 9 full members, then a FB-only school would get their FB competition to 10 for a divisional CCG, and two non-FB schools would get their MBB competition to 11 for a 20-game round robin.

The FB-only part would be partly dependent on what the media partner wants, but it would also add $1m in CFP money (the Go5 base distribution is $1m/school for up to the first ten schools), which could be split 50:50 between the FB-only school and the conference by giving the FB-only school $500K as their distribution and not charging them an affiliation fee.

(11-02-2021 09:32 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's between this incinerated ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

And, critically for Liberty, it offers a formal place in the Access Bowl race. They spend the money on their sports in order to raise the profile of their University, and so even having a chance to be in the Access Bowl spot conversation is worth something to them.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 09:57 AM by BruceMcF.)
11-02-2021 09:40 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-02-2021 09:40 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's been this incinerated ridonculously embarrasing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

CUSA’s media deal is up after the 22-23 season. These teams will probably be joining for 23-24. They will need a new deal, but I can’t imagine it being for the same money.

It won't be for the same money, it will be for significantly less than even the paltry amount they current get. But whatever it is, I'm guessing it will be more than any could get as independents. I don't think any of those three could sign an actual independent TV deal other than at the local level.
11-02-2021 09:44 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's between this incinerated ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

Its like where USF would be if not for their location. You do realize that I hope.
11-02-2021 09:48 AM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(11-02-2021 09:44 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

It won't be for the same money, it will be for significantly less than even the paltry amount they current get. But whatever it is, I'm guessing it will be more than any could get as independents. I don't think any of those three could sign an actual independent TV deal other than at the local level.

They're at a point where it would actually make sense to sign a streaming-heavy ESPN deal with a decent chunk of mid-week national games baked in.
11-02-2021 09:50 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This is crazy. Really shocked liberty would do this
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 09:52 AM by bluesox.)
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson

LU already has a TV deal with ESPN that ends 25.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Offline
Heisman

And neither could most schools. You really live in a high and mighty world for some reason. You don't seem to have much knowledge of the college sports world if any of this is surprising to you at all.
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Liberty has had an agreement with ESPN for between 15-20 years. There wasn't much money involved outside of paying for production costs. I know Liberty does not care about media revenue that is so miniscule. We do care about exposure. Whatever platform provides the greatest reach will be where we want to be involved.

Let the record show, as a Liberty alum I am far from convinced that any of this is a done deal. I could see Judy's office floating this idea out there in hopes that WKU & MTSU would stick around. I know that thoe two participating weighs heavily on Liberty's interest in this deal. I am still not convinced that we are all in. It would be a relatively easy league for us to get auto bids in most every sport and hoops would be an upgrade on the ASUN. But this still smells like far from a done deal.
11-02-2021 09:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(11-02-2021 09:50 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

Probably be null and void when they join CUSA. Like with BYUs.
11-02-2021 09:58 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
CUSA with WKU and MTSU helping to save the conference.

FIU
Western Kentucky
MTSU
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Chattanooga
Murray State

UTEP
La. Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
Missouri State
UCA
Lamar
11-02-2021 09:59 AM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
(11-02-2021 09:52 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  Liberty has had an agreement with ESPN for between 15-20 years. There wasn't much money involved outside of paying for production costs. I know Liberty does not care about media revenue that is so miniscule. We do care about exposure. Whatever platform provides the greatest reach will be where we want to be involved.

Let the record show, as a Liberty alum I am far from convinced that any of this is a done deal. I could see Judy's office floating this idea out there in hopes that WKU & MTSU would stick around. I know that thoe two participating weighs heavily on Liberty's interest in this deal. I am still not convinced that we are all in. It would be a relatively easy league for us to get auto bids in most every sport and hoops would be an upgrade on the ASUN. But this still smells like far from a done deal.

I'm not convinced we are in either. Aren't LaTech academic snobs? Why would they vote yes for LU?
11-02-2021 10:00 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

Agreed - I doubt that independent deals would be very good for them at all.

Also, a lot of people are forgetting about or minimizing what's coming in the very near-term: CFP expansion.

When that happens, it may simply make sense for any school (outside of Notre Dame) to be in *any* conference for the sake of being in a conference for both CFP revenue and playoff access.
11-02-2021 10:03 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

Its bascially a scheduling alliance.

It would have been better if FIU, UTEP, and LA Tech could have joined the ASUN and WAC respectively and the CUSA shell been used as a FBS football only conference

I know NCAA rules do not allow that, but they should have as it would have allowed 2 regional conferences as opposed to mismatched duck tape holding that CUSA is about to become.
11-02-2021 10:05 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-02-2021 09:59 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  CUSA with WKU and MTSU helping to save the conference.

FIU
Western Kentucky
MTSU
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Chattanooga
Murray State

UTEP
La. Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
Missouri State
UCA
Lamar

WKU and MTSU are saving themselves. They are 100% gone to the MAC.
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-02-2021 09:50 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

Yes, I know LU does. I was referring to three core CUSA leftovers.

Really, if it was all about money and scheduling, Liberty should not have joined. IMO, they are better off as a program Independent than joining this version of CUSA.

But I think for Liberty, the overriding issue was breaking the ice in terms of the anti-religious stigma that FBS conferences have had regarding them. This is their chance to get in to a conference, and once that happens, it positions them to move to a better one later on.

So IMO they made a strategic move to take a step back now, to open up more steps forward later.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.