Bookmark and Share
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Pro Day - Basketball Team
(10-07-2021 06:26 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 10:48 PM)Merrick Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 05:56 PM)griffin Wrote:  In no particular order:

1) If today is any picture of how things are going to be Jalen Duran is as good as you can get for a freshman. Heads above everyone else on the court today, not even close.
2) They mostly ran 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 drills after a made free throw and scrimmage which was 4 on 4 with a white team, blue team, black team and maroon (sp) Team.
3) I had no idea what they were going to do on Pro day, had expected verticals etc - it was just what was listed in #2
4) Bates was on the court, if you did not know how great he was you would not have known it from today. He did not stand out in anyway. I'm sure it was just a bad day.
5) Lester with his "side chops" looks like a legit 25 year old ABA player, can't wait to see those small shorts, Memphis throw back jersey and those side chops - he played today like he always plays
6) Everyone else was good, no one stood out - frankly it was a bit sloppy, I kept those thoughts to myself then two guys around me brought it up and we chatted a little about it. We all chalked it up to nerves and a lot of new players.
7) Length, wow - words can't express how long these guys are with wing span. With Penny's elite defense and adding this wing span to every position, I can't wait to see how teams are literally smothered - if they want to they can limit any shots they want to do.
8) Really good hustle - very tall team minus they guys you are already small. Very tall team across the board - broad shoulders tall - so imposing
9) Penny lead a lot - when the coaches got together for huddles between each set you could see when Larry spoke, they all listened - mostly Penny and Larry talking in huddles
10) NBA scouts - as most know all teams were represented - they were all lined around the facility.
11) Offense is at this point a work in progress it seems and nerves - looks very choppy, turnovers, miscommunication etc - I am sure a lot of that is the way they were playing defense as well.

Good event, great for the team and potential recruits to know we had that many scouts were there.

Really run well, very professional from an event perspective.

Impressive we can do this at Memphis.

04-cheers

Most tragic headline from rookiewire:

BATES HAS NEGATIVE WINGSPAN. Oh no, Bates has no arms! Lol.

I’ve read several comments about Bates showing off his playing making skills, his shooting, how it shows he worked on his body over the summer.

Penny made some comments about playing 9-10 guys in his rotation.

Yeah, so stupid on Bates.
10-07-2021 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

is there a site with all the memphis players measurables
10-07-2021 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

“We’re a special team, 1 through 18,” Lomax said. “We really got 18 guys. It’s crazy.”
10-07-2021 08:56 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(10-07-2021 08:42 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  is there a site with all the memphis players measurables

I haven't seen a full list yet. Duren by far the most impressive physically and Chandler Lawson has really long arms. Here's a few:

Chandler Lawson 6'7" 7'7" wingspan, 22.5" Vertical
Jalen Duren 6'11" 7'5" wingspan, 30.5" Vertical
Emoni Bates 6'9" 6'7" wingspan, 24.5" Vertical
10-07-2021 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
passat25 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-06-2021 08:18 PM)griffin Wrote:  I came away with thinking with a smothering defense, our guys have to improve on offense simply with all of the easy baskets we should get.

Stammers or some others who played D1 basketball should know this far better.

They are the longest Memphis team I have ever seen. No stud is smaller than 6'5" - majority are 6'8" plus

Crazy that Lester is one of the shortest guy at 6'5 lol

Lomax and Harris are basically smurfs!
10-07-2021 09:55 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

1) If today is any picture of how things are going to be Jalen Duran is as good as you can get for a freshman. Heads above everyone else on the court today, not even close.
2) They mostly ran 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 drills after a made free throw and scrimmage which was 4 on 4 with a white team, blue team, black team and maroon (sp) Team.
3) I had no idea what they were going to do on Pro day, had expected verticals etc - it was just what was listed in #2
4) Bates was on the court, if you did not know how great he was you would not have known it from today. He did not stand out in anyway. I'm sure it was just a bad day.
5) Lester with his "side chops" looks like a legit 25 year old ABA player, can't wait to see those small shorts, Memphis throw back jersey and those side chops - he played today like he always plays
6) Everyone else was good, no one stood out - frankly it was a bit sloppy, I kept those thoughts to myself then two guys around me brought it up and we chatted a little about it. We all chalked it up to nerves and a lot of new players.
7) Length, wow - words can't express how long these guys are with wing span. With Penny's elite defense and adding this wing span to every position, I can't wait to see how teams are literally smothered - if they want to they can limit any shots they want to do.
8) Really good hustle - very tall team minus they guys you are already small. Very tall team across the board - broad shoulders tall - so imposing
9) Penny lead a lot - when the coaches got together for huddles between each set you could see when Larry spoke, they all listened - mostly Penny and Larry talking in huddles
10) NBA scouts - as most know all teams were represented - they were all lined around the facility.
11) Offense is at this point a work in progress it seems and nerves - looks very choppy, turnovers, miscommunication etc - I am sure a lot of that is the way they were playing defense as well.

Good event, great for the team and potential recruits to know we had that many scouts were there.

Great info, thank you!
10-07-2021 10:09 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(10-07-2021 08:56 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  “We’re a special team, 1 through 18,” Lomax said. “We really got 18 guys. It’s crazy.”

Are we permitted larger rosters due to covid-extra-year-of-eligibility?
10-07-2021 03:44 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(10-07-2021 03:44 PM)gusrob Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 08:56 AM)Unionman76 Wrote:  “We’re a special team, 1 through 18,” Lomax said. “We really got 18 guys. It’s crazy.”

Are we permitted larger rosters due to covid-extra-year-of-eligibility?

5 walkons. Tyler Harris, Jayden Hardaway, Nikc Merriwether, the little white kid from Chicago, and another Memphis kid.
10-07-2021 03:51 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

So Griffin, I'm confused I keep seeing things like this free article in the Memphian.

Note the hi-lite section.

More than 75 NBA scouts and executives made the trip to Memphis to check out the Tigers’ pro day on Wednesday.

All 30 NBA teams were represented, with some sending half a dozen or so scouts to check out one of the most talented teams in college basketball.

Memphis target dazzles at NBA Academy Invitational in Mexico

The pro day lasted about two hours, with the Tigers going through a number of drills that emulated some of the workouts from an NBA combine.

Two-on-two, three-on-three and four-on-four competitions were among the activities. The players went through shooting drills, as well as those that tested their abilities to make plays off the bounce and off screens.

All in all, coach Penny Hardaway was not only pleased with the turnout, but also how the players performed and what it means for the program moving forward.

“It definitely means a lot because the scouts here, showing these kids when you come to the University of Memphis, you’re going to get this opportunity to be seen in front of scouts before the season starts,” Hardaway said. “This is like Disney World for these kids today, to see all these teams with the logo on their chests.”

From the stars to likely reserves, the Tigers put their best foot forward in front of executives, leaving plenty wanting to see more.

Here are observations from the Memphis pro day.

Tigers Basketball Insider: IARP update coming early next week

Emoni Bates looks like a No. 1 pick
[b]Scouts had to walk away thinking the 6-foot-9 Bates lived up to all of the hype that has surrounded him since he was 15.

He excelled at all of the shooting drills. His shooting ability has been well documented, but his fluidity with his handle and his effectiveness knocking down jumpers off the dribble was impressive.

It was almost a surprise to see Bates miss a shot. While the team didn’t break out into a traditional five-on-five scrimmage, he still showed encouraging signs as the lead guard when the situation calls for it. He’s buying in and not simply looking for his shot every time down the floor.

[/b]

He recognized how big the moment was, but didn’t put too much pressure on himself.

“It was special, but I’m trying to look at it like another day in the gym. I told my teammates we’re going to come in here and work hard like we do every day and make each other better,” Bates said.

Unfinished business, college degree brought DeAndre Williams back to Tigers

Hardaway sold Bates on being a big guard like himself and has continued to challenge him to grow into the role. He was more than pleased with how Bates handled himself on Wednesday.

“He’s adjusted well because he’s listening to everything we tell him,” Hardaway said. “He’s a sponge, he wants to learn. ... He doesn’t have an ego and he’s one of our hardest workers.”

John Camden surprises
The beautiful thing about a setting like this is that while scouts are there to check out prospects like Bates and Jalen Duren, it’s also a great opportunity for other players to get on the radar. One of those players who seized the opportunity was freshman wing John Camden.

If Bates was the best shooter of the day, then Camden came in right behind him. Whether it was individual drills or during a four-on-four, Camden showed off impressive ability behind the arc.

It’s not like he was just making wide-open 3-pointers, either. At 6-8 and with his shooting prowess, Camden is sure to have gotten someone’s attention, and Hardaway says he has been progressing nicely in camp.

“John is doing really well, John is shooting the ball really well. He’s playing with energy and he’s working every day. He understands how he’s going to get on the floor and stay on the floor and he’s doing a really good job,” Hardaway said.

Memphis unveils full 2021-22 men’s basketball schedule

The return of Timberlake
Miami transfer Earl Timberlake (6-6, 215 pounds) didn’t participate in the Tigers’ open practice last week, but was on the court Wednesday for NBA scouts. He hasn’t been practicing long as he recovers from an injury, but what immediately jumped out was his physicality. He and Duren (6-11, 250) both look like they already have NBA physiques.

He was able to showcase some of his slashing ability, and finished at the rim with authority each time. He also locked in on defense and was clearly enjoying the drills that required the Tigers to defend one of their teammates for full court.

Timberlake is working on rebuilding his jumper, and the form is there, it’s just the fluidity and increasing the quickness of his release that is still a work in progress. Considering how long he has been out, Hardaway is thrilled with his potential.

Emoni Bates signs with Roc Nation for NIL representation

“This is Earl’s third practice since he’s been back from surgery and probably his fifth practice since he’s been here. He still has to get the kinks out, but he’s going to be very special for us,” Hardaway said.

Timberlake is a projected first-round pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

More quick hits
Duren also had another good day and caught the eye of ESPN lead draft analyst Jonathan Givony with his play.

“Duren had an awesome day in particular, playing with impressive intensity while showcasing tremendous athleticism and nice budding chemistry with Emoni Bates,” Givony tweeted.

Hardaway joked that he wanted Duren to have been a better rim protector, and that Duren had two blocks, but Hardaway wanted him to have 10.

Jokes aside, Duren has potential to be dominant on the defensive end, and showcased a growing array of offensive moves, including a nice turnaround jumper near the end of the pro day.

Observations from first Memphis basketball practice: Tigers kick off with a bang

Alex Lomax also made his return after missing significant time because of an injury, and the senior point guard played well. He finished inside and even hit a long 3-pointer. Lomax’s role is one that fans have been curious about all offseason. If he performs like he did Wednesday, he’ll play an important role even if it’s off the bench.

I also thought junior Landers Nolley II and freshman Johnathan Lawson had solid days. Both shot the ball well in individual and team segments.

It’s also clear that Lester Quinones’ work in the weight room has been paying off. He looked a little leaner and took a step forward with his athleticism. He could be an all-conference type of performer for Memphis this season.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2021 03:59 PM by Tigerx3.)
10-07-2021 03:54 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

Thanks for the thread and the twitter links.

(10-07-2021 06:26 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Most tragic headline from rookiewire:

BATES HAS NEGATIVE WINGSPAN. Oh no, Bates has no arms! Lol.

I’ve read several comments about Bates showing off his playing making skills, his shooting, how it shows he worked on his body over the summer.

Penny made some comments about playing 9-10 guys in his rotation.

Seeing that was rather surprising. I don't recall seeing wingspans shorter than heights when I used to look at those numbers on DraftExpress. I wonder if he was properly stretching out his arms.
10-07-2021 04:03 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
As the season gets closer and qualified by the fact that starting means less than minutes

But is it becoming more clear

Bates
Lester
Nolley
Williams
Duren

Lomax
Timberlake
Lawson
10-07-2021 05:07 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(10-07-2021 03:54 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  So Griffin, I'm confused I keep seeing things like this free article in the Memphian.

Note the hi-lite section.

More than 75 NBA scouts and executives made the trip to Memphis to check out the Tigers’ pro day on Wednesday.

All 30 NBA teams were represented, with some sending half a dozen or so scouts to check out one of the most talented teams in college basketball.

Memphis target dazzles at NBA Academy Invitational in Mexico

The pro day lasted about two hours, with the Tigers going through a number of drills that emulated some of the workouts from an NBA combine.

Two-on-two, three-on-three and four-on-four competitions were among the activities. The players went through shooting drills, as well as those that tested their abilities to make plays off the bounce and off screens.

All in all, coach Penny Hardaway was not only pleased with the turnout, but also how the players performed and what it means for the program moving forward.

“It definitely means a lot because the scouts here, showing these kids when you come to the University of Memphis, you’re going to get this opportunity to be seen in front of scouts before the season starts,” Hardaway said. “This is like Disney World for these kids today, to see all these teams with the logo on their chests.”

From the stars to likely reserves, the Tigers put their best foot forward in front of executives, leaving plenty wanting to see more.

Here are observations from the Memphis pro day.

Tigers Basketball Insider: IARP update coming early next week

Emoni Bates looks like a No. 1 pick
[b]Scouts had to walk away thinking the 6-foot-9 Bates lived up to all of the hype that has surrounded him since he was 15.

He excelled at all of the shooting drills. His shooting ability has been well documented, but his fluidity with his handle and his effectiveness knocking down jumpers off the dribble was impressive.

It was almost a surprise to see Bates miss a shot. While the team didn’t break out into a traditional five-on-five scrimmage, he still showed encouraging signs as the lead guard when the situation calls for it. He’s buying in and not simply looking for his shot every time down the floor.

[/b]

He recognized how big the moment was, but didn’t put too much pressure on himself.

“It was special, but I’m trying to look at it like another day in the gym. I told my teammates we’re going to come in here and work hard like we do every day and make each other better,” Bates said.

Unfinished business, college degree brought DeAndre Williams back to Tigers

Hardaway sold Bates on being a big guard like himself and has continued to challenge him to grow into the role. He was more than pleased with how Bates handled himself on Wednesday.

“He’s adjusted well because he’s listening to everything we tell him,” Hardaway said. “He’s a sponge, he wants to learn. ... He doesn’t have an ego and he’s one of our hardest workers.”

John Camden surprises
The beautiful thing about a setting like this is that while scouts are there to check out prospects like Bates and Jalen Duren, it’s also a great opportunity for other players to get on the radar. One of those players who seized the opportunity was freshman wing John Camden.

If Bates was the best shooter of the day, then Camden came in right behind him. Whether it was individual drills or during a four-on-four, Camden showed off impressive ability behind the arc.

It’s not like he was just making wide-open 3-pointers, either. At 6-8 and with his shooting prowess, Camden is sure to have gotten someone’s attention, and Hardaway says he has been progressing nicely in camp.

“John is doing really well, John is shooting the ball really well. He’s playing with energy and he’s working every day. He understands how he’s going to get on the floor and stay on the floor and he’s doing a really good job,” Hardaway said.

Memphis unveils full 2021-22 men’s basketball schedule

The return of Timberlake
Miami transfer Earl Timberlake (6-6, 215 pounds) didn’t participate in the Tigers’ open practice last week, but was on the court Wednesday for NBA scouts. He hasn’t been practicing long as he recovers from an injury, but what immediately jumped out was his physicality. He and Duren (6-11, 250) both look like they already have NBA physiques.

He was able to showcase some of his slashing ability, and finished at the rim with authority each time. He also locked in on defense and was clearly enjoying the drills that required the Tigers to defend one of their teammates for full court.

Timberlake is working on rebuilding his jumper, and the form is there, it’s just the fluidity and increasing the quickness of his release that is still a work in progress. Considering how long he has been out, Hardaway is thrilled with his potential.

Emoni Bates signs with Roc Nation for NIL representation

“This is Earl’s third practice since he’s been back from surgery and probably his fifth practice since he’s been here. He still has to get the kinks out, but he’s going to be very special for us,” Hardaway said.

Timberlake is a projected first-round pick in the 2022 NBA draft.

More quick hits
Duren also had another good day and caught the eye of ESPN lead draft analyst Jonathan Givony with his play.

“Duren had an awesome day in particular, playing with impressive intensity while showcasing tremendous athleticism and nice budding chemistry with Emoni Bates,” Givony tweeted.

Hardaway joked that he wanted Duren to have been a better rim protector, and that Duren had two blocks, but Hardaway wanted him to have 10.

Jokes aside, Duren has potential to be dominant on the defensive end, and showcased a growing array of offensive moves, including a nice turnaround jumper near the end of the pro day.

Observations from first Memphis basketball practice: Tigers kick off with a bang

Alex Lomax also made his return after missing significant time because of an injury, and the senior point guard played well. He finished inside and even hit a long 3-pointer. Lomax’s role is one that fans have been curious about all offseason. If he performs like he did Wednesday, he’ll play an important role even if it’s off the bench.

I also thought junior Landers Nolley II and freshman Johnathan Lawson had solid days. Both shot the ball well in individual and team segments.

It’s also clear that Lester Quinones’ work in the weight room has been paying off. He looked a little leaner and took a step forward with his athleticism. He could be an all-conference type of performer for Memphis this season.

I'm surprised that that you are confused . He -and his sources haven't been right about ANYTHING since the Truman Administration .
10-07-2021 08:18 PM
450bench Offline

Anybody leaving Josh Minott off the “guys that will play” this year list are just wrong.
10-07-2021 09:13 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(10-07-2021 09:13 PM)450bench Wrote:  Anybody leaving Josh Minott off the “guys that will play” this year list are just wrong.

Agreed
10-07-2021 09:14 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
…and Minott
Dandridge
10-07-2021 10:47 PM
TubbyBall Offline
2nd String

(10-07-2021 10:47 PM)Mimi Wrote:  …and Minott
Dandridge

Dandrige should not play based on the last two years and who is on the roster.
10-07-2021 11:01 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-07-2021 09:13 PM)450bench Wrote:  Anybody leaving Josh Minott off the “guys that will play” this year list are just wrong.

Does anyone have Minotts pro day numbers?
10-08-2021 11:19 AM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Minott

Attached File(s)
.jpg  20211008_120919.jpg (Size: 1.32 MB / Downloads: 24)
10-08-2021 12:14 PM
bbqtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of M always
Thank you to both Griffin and CUSA NEWS for your posts!
10-08-2021 12:31 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

04-cheers
10-08-2021 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.