***GAME THREAD*** UAB vs Liberty
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: ***GAME THREAD*** UAB vs Liberty
(10-04-2021 05:20 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 05:17 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 04:19 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Maybe players need to start making plays? Just sayin' I counted 31 points left on the board. Throw in the missing OL plus defensive players. Beat FAU.

I can agree with that because if players from App St, Louisiana, Ga State, UTSA, North Texas, Troy, Ga Southern, James Madison, and Liberty just to name a few can make plays they why not UAB? I mean is being in the AAC going fix this when those teams I just mention have been doing it without being in the AAC?
All things considered, that game was chalk full of miscues for us but we're still 3-2 and 1-0 in the conference...so lets Blaze ahead.

Just like the other games we've played against good teams. No answers to the question so Blaze ahead.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021 09:27 PM by HiddenDragon.)
10-04-2021 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kdblazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(10-04-2021 09:26 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 04:19 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Maybe players need to start making plays? Just sayin' I counted 31 points left on the board. Throw in the missing OL plus defensive players. Beat FAU.

I can agree with that because if players from App St, Louisiana, Ga State, UTSA, North Texas, Troy, Ga Southern, James Madison, and Liberty just to name a few can make plays they why not UAB? I mean is being in the AAC going fix this when those teams I just mention have been doing it without being in the AAC?
All things considered, that game was chalk full of miscues for us but we're still 3-2 and 1-0 in the conference...so lets Blaze ahead.

Just like the other games we've played against good teams. No answers to the question so Blaze ahead.
Well damn HD I'm not the one to answer the questions...I'm just giving the board my perspective03-cool
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021 09:54 PM by kdblazer.)
10-04-2021 09:53 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

10-04-2021 10:50 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(10-04-2021 10:50 PM)C-Finder Wrote:  https://www.underdogdynasty.com/platform...ssion=true

Yep!
10-05-2021 12:16 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-04-2021 09:53 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  

Well damn HD I'm not the one to answer the questions...I'm just giving the board my perspective03-cool

You're telling the board nothing to see here and move on. Some folks are getting tired of the same type of performances against good teams and hope it gets addressed next season.

We get the perspective thing but perspective ain't fixin' da'problem sir!
10-05-2021 06:01 AM
kdblazer Offline
All American

(10-05-2021 06:01 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 05:17 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I can agree with that because if players from App St, Louisiana, Ga State, UTSA, North Texas, Troy, Ga Southern, James Madison, and Liberty just to name a few can make plays they why not UAB? I mean is being in the AAC going fix this when those teams I just mention have been doing it without being in the AAC?

You're telling the board nothing to see here and move on. Some folks are getting tired of the same type of performances against good teams and hope it gets addressed next season.

No matter what you or I put on this fan board, it won't change anything related to the play on the field. Games are won and lost but we shouldn't freak and run for the hills every time we have a subpar performance. I just saw a post that stated we had 8 defensive players out Saturday night....ouch. We should try to keep things in perspective for each game.
10-05-2021 08:58 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(10-05-2021 08:58 AM)kdblazer Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 05:20 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  All things considered, that game was chalk full of miscues for us but we're still 3-2 and 1-0 in the conference...so lets Blaze ahead.

No matter what you or I put on this fan board, it won't change anything related to the play on the field. Games are won and lost but we shouldn't freak and run for the hills every time we have a subpar performance. I just saw a post that stated we had 8 defensive players out Saturday night....ouch. We should try to keep things in perspective for each game.

And fans that get upset about the team's lack of performance does not constitutes people are freaking out and running for the hills. That's what fans do on a fan board, gives props when it is due, criticize when it warranted.

Fans also makes excuses for losing, valid or not like you are doing. Nothing wrong with that either. You are entitled to make excuses like others are allowed to criticize.

That is what you should keep in perspective.

Go Blazers!
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 10:29 AM by HiddenDragon.)
10-05-2021 10:02 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Whether it’s 3 starters, 5 starters, or 8 starters out on defense. What does that have to do with a poor offensive showing? Deflect, deflect, deflect. Is Jen Psaki taking the questions around here too? My goodness.
10-05-2021 10:37 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(10-05-2021 10:02 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 09:26 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Just like the other games we've played against good teams. No answers to the question so Blaze ahead.

And fans that get upset about the team's lack of performance does not constitutes people are freaking out and running for the hills. That's what fans do on a fan board, gives props when it is due, criticize when it warranted.

Fans also makes excuses for losing, valid or not like you are doing. Nothing wrong with that either. You are entitled to make excuses like others are allowed to criticize.

Go Blazers!

One Hunnid!

Our fans on here seem to fall into two buckets. Overly positive people who shrug off anything negative that happens, and those that "freak out." I think both groups have very valid perspectives.

Yes - there were very valid reasons why we lost Saturday and it may not have actually been as bad as it looked when you factor those things in. On the contrary, Saturday fits into a bigger picture and pattern that hasn't been addressed in the slightest under HCBC. Both sides have good points - we probably aren't as bad as we looked Saturday, but the program has also clearly established it's ceiling on the field in it's current format.

I really think some of our fans would be totally fine with never being better than we are now, and a lot of us want to strive for more. It does not appear from the outside that we are striving to be better on the field. The problems that need to be addressed are mind numbingly obvious.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 10:40 AM by The Answer UAB.)
10-05-2021 10:38 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2021 10:37 AM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Whether it’s 3 starters, 5 starters, or 8 starters out on defense. What does that have to do with a poor offensive showing? Deflect, deflect, deflect. Is Jen Psaki taking the questions around here too? My goodness.

You make good points, but please leave political BS out of it for once.
10-05-2021 10:38 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(10-05-2021 10:38 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 09:53 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  Well damn HD I'm not the one to answer the questions...I'm just giving the board my perspective03-cool

Go Blazers!

One Hunnid!

Our fans on here seem to fall into two buckets. Overly positive people who shrug off anything negative that happens, and those that "freak out." I think both groups have very valid perspectives.

Yes - there were very valid reasons why we lost Saturday and it may not have actually been as bad as it looked when you factor those things in. On the contrary, Saturday fits into a bigger picture and pattern that hasn't been addressed in the slightest under HCBC. Both sides have good points - we probably aren't as bad as we looked Saturday, but the program has also clearly established it's ceiling on the field in it's current format.

I really think some of our fans would be totally fine with never being better than we are now, and a lot of us want to strive for more. It does not appear from the outside that we are striving to be better on the field. The problems that need to be addressed are mind numbingly obvious.

I think we were getting close to or at our ceiling at Legion Field. The new stadium will raise that ceiling a good bit, but it will take some time to see the impact of it.
10-05-2021 10:53 AM
kdblazer Offline
All American

(10-05-2021 10:38 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 09:53 PM)kdblazer Wrote:  Well damn HD I'm not the one to answer the questions...I'm just giving the board my perspective03-cool

Go Blazers!

One Hunnid!

I'm not a sunshine pumper but clearly we all have different view points. Like I stated in other posts(if I were in charge of scheduling I would have picked an opponent that would allowed the team a good workout but not have the game in question at any moment). That's because it was an emotional night with the new stadium and the hoopla that comes with it. So no excuses just explanations. Just keep in mind, moving forward as fan we can expect more now that everything is in place to sign more 3-4 and 5 (slips through) star type talent.
10-05-2021 10:56 AM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

The ceiling hasnt been reached with this head coach. Maybe some of the recruiting and offensive philosophies. Those two topics are hurting one another and affecting other parts of the program as well. You can fix that with dropping the stubbornness and making some staff changes.

When Saban felt like he reached his ceiling in how much he could get out of his offense, he adapted. Started landing a crap ton more NFL caliber skill players and began dropping 40-50 points a game.

Adapt or die.
10-05-2021 11:02 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(10-05-2021 10:56 AM)kdblazer Wrote:  I'm not a sunshine pumper but clearly we all have different view points. Like I stated in other posts(if I were in charge of scheduling I would have picked an opponent that would allowed the team a good workout but not have the game in question at any moment). That's because it was an emotional night with the new stadium and the hoopla that comes with it. So no excuses just explanations. Just keep in mind, moving forward as fan we can expect more now that everything is in place to sign more 3-4 and 5 (slips through) star type talent.

I actually agree with you here 100% and I had a bad feeling about this game since the timing and opponent was set. This game needed to be handled like The Return, set up to be as much celebration as competition. Opening the season there with an FCS (even better Bama St or A&M) would have made for a totally different experience.

I thought opening the stadium a month into the season would screw UAB, one way or another. I think it at least partly cost us a packed house and a better showing against Liberty if that had been our 2nd or 3rd game in the place.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2021 11:24 AM by BlazerGreen.)
10-05-2021 11:22 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Binary thinking, it’s the greatest!
10-05-2021 11:36 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I watched a lot of the 1st quarter on DVR just now.. some random thoughts:

1. The crowd looked bad on tv. No matter how you spin it, the crowd looked bad, and this reflects poorly on us.

2. We came out hot on offense and defense. Even though the defense looked good to start, they still couldn't tackle Willis when they had him dead to rights. On their first drive sanders had two hands on him and most of his body, and still somehow blew the tackle. We were in position to make plays on D a lot of the night, we just couldn't tackle.

3. That penalty on brown on the TD was an awful, bonehead decision, that had no bearing on the final outcome of the play. He hit the defender with the illegal block 5-10 yards behind the play right as RJS was going into the endzone. Awful, awful, awful. IMO, this just reflects poorly on the team and coaching overall, and fits into the bigger picture of our endless parade of bad penalties. That penalty changed the complexion of the game entirely.

4. They completely shut us down after about the first quarter. We were completely outcoached after we came out hot to start the game.

5. They are a really good team, and they are clearly better than us right now. However, I think we are much closer than the final score indicates. The game would've been completely different IMO if Brown didn't cost us that touchdown. After watching the first quarter again, I feel a little more encouraged than I did after leaving Protective on Saturday.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2021 04:30 PM by The Answer UAB.)
10-07-2021 04:25 PM
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
(10-07-2021 04:25 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  I watched a lot of the 1st quarter on DVR just now.. some random thoughts:

1. The crowd looked bad on tv. No matter how you spin it, the crowd looked bad, and this reflects poorly on us.

2. We came out hot on offense and defense. Even though the defense looked good to start, they still couldn't tackle Willis when they had him dead to rights. On their first drive sanders had two hands on him and most of his body, and still somehow blew the tackle. We were in position to make plays on D a lot of the night, we just couldn't tackle.

3. That penalty on brown on the TD was an awful, bonehead decision, that had no bearing on the final outcome of the play. He hit the defender with the illegal block 5-10 yards behind the play right as RJS was going into the endzone. Awful, awful, awful. IMO, this just reflects poorly on the team and coaching overall, and fits into the bigger picture of our endless parade of bad penalties. That penalty changed the complexion of the game entirely.

4. They completely shut us down after about the first quarter. We were completely outcoached after we came out hot to start the game.

5. They are a really good team, and they are clearly better than us right now. However, I think we are much closer than the final score indicates. The game would've been completely different IMO if Brown didn't cost us that touchdown. After watching the first quarter again, I feel a little more encouraged than I did after leaving Protective on Saturday.

The entire game is on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrvbNda-So

I agree that the crowd looks very bad on television. I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but I'm sure the start time being so close to the ending time for the Alabama game was part of the reason. I know people on this board tend to pull against Bama, but I noticed most of the blazer fans watching the the Bama game at one of the bars at Uptown were loudly cheering for Bama. When it became no doubt that Bama was going to win, the heavy rain began. I really hated it for everyone involved. With television, UAB has little input on start times but hopefully they can better time the start times of future games to take the start and finish times of other games into account.
10-07-2021 07:02 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Birmingham is an event town. UAB games as events will do well. We’re a long way from being good enough to draw big crowds consistently up against SEC football. Wish that were not true, but it is — like it is for every southern g5 or FCS team. Us diehards won’t like it but a meaningful UAB game on a Thursday night one or twice a year would pack that place with fans we could begin to convert over time.

I have watched the game 3 times now. Painful as it was, we didn’t play as bad as the score looked. We’d have had 7 or 8 sacks against a typical QB. 3 or 4 of liberty’s biggest game changing plays never happen without Superman Vick Jr. back there.

Agree the penalty was awful. Whether it was an illegal block or not, it was completely unnecessary and is gonna get called 99 out of 100.

The slide on fourth down was awful. Just not sliding, it is a first down and we probably go on and score to go up 10-0.

The drops were awful. We may not have been able to keep up with Liberty regardless, but we would have had a *chance* to do so, and would have kept our tired defense off the field some.

UAB was a few plays from being right there in it in the fourth.

I think we’re gonna play well Saturday. We will have to because I think FAU is a more compete and more talented team overall than Liberty in terms of athletes. They just don’t have Superman at QB or the elite coaching staff.
10-07-2021 07:19 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

this is pretty obvious, but I forgot to say it: the stadium, the area around the stadium/uptown, and the pregame vibe/crowd were amazing. I was in town over the weekend and just drove the block around the stadium at least 2-3 times 3 days in a row just to soak it in. There was a palpable buzz during pregame, and also on campus on Friday. It was really something to see, and I never thought UAB would have something so nice to call it's own. Hanging out at Uptown, getting drinks before the game on the upper level, watching the crowd mill about and the parade was great. It felt like a big time college football game pregame experience.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2021 08:05 PM by The Answer UAB.)
10-07-2021 08:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.