TylerTiger Offline
The Fountainhead

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Liberty Bowl Thoughts
(10-06-2021 04:17 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 01:37 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 10:32 AM)poppaslaw Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 02:59 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 09:27 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  I know the OCS folks are talking about a smaller stadium than Simmons Memorial.

But for the sake of argument, I went to maps and got a satellite image of the stadium.

Just the stadium and not the walkway around it.

Then without changing any scales I moved the map to the main campus and superimposed the measurements of the stadium to every suggested site on campus.

NONE of them came close to holding the stadium.

The only place on the south campus it would fit is the southwest corner and it would require losing one practice field and all of the golf practice areas.

Audobon park, the only site that it would fit required removing the golf clubhouse, unless you want to demolish the golf course.

Of course, a smaller stadium would take a smaller spot but remember this was just the stadium itself and not the pedestrian walkway area around the stadium.

Seems the OCS side has been playing free and loose with the scale of the photos when making their claims.

Nah, you did something wrong.
I just did the same thing.
It fits in the Memorial Field/ROTS/Elliptical area.
It fits to the east of Zach Curlin.
It fits south of Centennial Place.
It fits north of Central by Holiday Inn.
It fits <pick an area> south of Southern.
It fits <pick an area> on the Park Campus.
It fits <pick an area> in Audubon.

And that's with the too-large size, and the sweeping sombrero footprint. The actual footprint would be smaller.

This is Houston's stadium. Fits well in one of the Heery Report spots (this isn't final placement). Some of those are gone now due to other construction.

[Image: OCS.jpg]

Yeah. I haven't even talked about closing Zach Curlin and putting it right in the middle of that - using track land to the west and waterworks land to the east.

You could easily rotate it 90-degrees and put it by the Holiday Inn. Create replacement student parking in other areas - like Zach Curlin.

I also like putting it just south of Centennial Place (the "new" Richardson Towers area). There are no major structures for 2 blocks there that could not be easily relocated. It's not like Frat Row couldn't use some new facilities.

But the spot you're showing is the best. Allows a sightline with the Library. New parking lot potential along Zach Curlin. Gets the true campus feel. And good enough east-west egress down Central and Southern - same as you have now. North-south egress on Highland and Goodlett.

I think there are several places that could fit the available footprint.

North of Central won't work. All of that space is dedicated. You don't want to swallow the new performing arts building, nobody wants a hotel room that looks out on the underbelly of a stadium and don't forget the neighborhood just recently sent the University packing on a housing complex. Imagine the reaction when just a couple of hundred fee east you build a FB stadium and the traffic that comes with it. Good Luck.

Audubon is close and has the space and already has the sports connection with the new Tennis Complex.

South of Southern is problematic with multi-unit housing built and planned.
Lost parking.

South Campus can be reconfigured and provides some advantages for egress.

South of Centennial Place is firmly in conflict with senior citizens housing plus I know we own a lot of the other housing in the areas between Campus and Highland but how much would have to be bought?

Now the Ellipse space East of the Library. Lets say you close off ZC and move the stadium East (You don't want to build an East/West endzone facing stadium.) You don't interrupt any current parking or building plans. You keep some green space and buffer from the Library. You can keep building down ZC to the south. Maybe even a parking garage. It would feel like you had to wedge it in.

Choices,

1. Audubon Park
2. South Campus
3. ZC Ellipse area

None are perfect but not every college was recently built in a field like UCF.

I think Audubon Park would be so ideal.
Build a nice stadium with space that is expandable too.
You can rebuild a Tiger Lane into the stadium.
You could incorporate the Botanical Gardens as a cool area for people to explore while hanging out at the games and maybe some other events.
Maybe even use some of that space for a hotel nearby?.
10-08-2021 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(10-06-2021 10:32 AM)poppaslaw Wrote:  This is Houston's stadium. Fits well in one of the Heery Report spots (this isn't final placement). Some of those are gone now due to other construction.

The one problem with this is the future STEM building is going in the north part of where you have the stadium.
10-09-2021 01:25 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-09-2021 01:25 PM)Alanda Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 10:32 AM)poppaslaw Wrote:  This is Houston's stadium. Fits well in one of the Heery Report spots (this isn't final placement). Some of those are gone now due to other construction.

The one problem with this is the future STEM building is going in the north part of where you have the stadium.

I dont get the whole STEM fad. Isnt that what a comprehensive University is for? Is a stem building really necessary. Seems high schoolish.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2021 01:39 PM by shere khan.)
10-09-2021 01:39 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(10-09-2021 01:39 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

I dont get the whole STEM fad. Isnt that what a comprehensive University is for? Is a stem building really necessary. Seems high schoolish.

I can't say much about STEM itself. My earliest impressions might have been similar to yours when I first started hearing about it for younger kids. But before STEM as we know it existed I do remember someone I went to high school with left to go to a specialized school for math and science. If she had stayed she would more than likely have been my class' valedictorian. So maybe STEM was the next step with stuff like that? As for the building that seems to be the trend now so I guess we really had no choice but to keep up.
10-09-2021 03:02 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

Well, since the school was originally a teacher’s college, this excerpt from the university’s page about the program helps to explain the purpose of the program/emphasis.

The goal of the certificate program in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Teacher Leadership is to develop the knowledge and skills of secondary mathematics, science, and engineering teachers and supervisors who are currently working in local area schools. The coursework is designed to promote in-depth understanding of current standards and instructional practices with a particular focus on building teacher leaders in STEM education and promoting STEM education in schools.
10-09-2021 03:13 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-09-2021 03:13 PM)former guest Wrote:  

Well, since the school was originally a teacher’s college, this excerpt from the university’s page about the program helps to explain the purpose of the program/emphasis.

The goal of the certificate program in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Teacher Leadership is to develop the knowledge and skills of secondary mathematics, science, and engineering teachers and supervisors who are currently working in local area schools. The coursework is designed to promote in-depth understanding of current standards and instructional practices with a particular focus on building teacher leaders in STEM education and promoting STEM education in schools.

Good lord. A college degree in and of itself doesnt do that anymore? So it's really a remedial teaching degree. Do they even have to take calculus to get a stem degree?

03-no
10-09-2021 03:32 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(10-01-2021 12:41 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  Was it TigerJeb who once posted a drawing of a stadium on the main campus?

Not sure. I thought he was the poster who always claimed it was physically impossible to install new chairback seating in LBMS and would condescendingly attack any poster who ever brought up the topic?

I believe the Heery report showed a few different options.
10-09-2021 03:48 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog

The STEM programs I’m familiar with use instructors from the private sector; and their background, along with the facility, were selling points of the program.
10-09-2021 05:34 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Are you f*cking stupid or do you just really want to admit you have no idea what STEM is?
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2021 06:36 PM by AlonsoWDC.)
10-09-2021 06:36 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-09-2021 03:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Good lord. A college degree in and of itself doesnt do that anymore? So it's really a remedial teaching degree. Do they even have to take calculus to get a stem degree?

03-no

You might want to read-up a bit more. I don't think "remedial" is the appropriate description.
10-10-2021 09:30 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

If RS and his staff are around another season or 2, we could just play the games at Halle with gen admission seating.
10-10-2021 10:26 AM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

(10-10-2021 10:26 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  If RS and his staff are around another season or 2, we could just play the games at Halle with gen admission seating.

That's the spirit. Love our true Tigers' fans, who only want to be involved when we're winning.

Show up Thursday, TRUE FANS. This is not Larry Porter days; it's all fixable.

GTG!
10-10-2021 10:52 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(09-28-2021 07:53 PM)Claw Wrote:  You Liberty Bowl guys need call the Big XII Presidents together and convince them how great the Liberty Bowl is.

We aren't the problem. They are.

Can you do that?

If you can't, then get on the OCS train.

Do you really think that’s the reason we didn’t get in?
10-10-2021 11:02 AM
Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
(10-10-2021 11:02 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  
(09-28-2021 07:53 PM)Claw Wrote:  You Liberty Bowl guys need call the Big XII Presidents together and convince them how great the Liberty Bowl is.

We aren't the problem. They are.

Can you do that?

If you can't, then get on the OCS train.

Do you really think that’s the reason we didn’t get in?

The sole reason? No. If that box had been checked would it have been enough to put us over the top? The one more feather in our cap they were looking for? No way to know for sure, but highly possible.
10-10-2021 11:20 AM
NDTiger Online
All American

(10-06-2021 06:02 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Take out Browning & Robinson Halls & move the stadium towards Memorial field.

The entire area around Memorial Field is a dump. Old buildings, etc… Get creative with the OCS design and build a new Elma Roan Field house to address Title IX issues. Call it a day.
10-10-2021 12:28 PM
NDTiger Online
All American

(10-09-2021 05:34 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

The STEM programs I’m familiar with use instructors from the private sector; and their background, along with the facility, were selling points of the program.
In short, this is an effort to reinvest in our engineering department. Few things:
1) Our current dept is antiquated
2) Engineering grads have high paying jobs = alum that give back
3) Locally there is a huge need based on Med Device (Medtronic, Smith & Nephew, Microport etc… ) and Healthcare (St Jude, Accredo, etc…) based here

*Have never understood why one of these companies would not endow the engineering department and align curriculum to crank out grads to meet their needs.
10-10-2021 12:33 PM
tpaw09 Offline
1st String

(10-10-2021 10:52 AM)tigerfan39 Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 10:26 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  If RS and his staff are around another season or 2, we could just play the games at Halle with gen admission seating.

That's the spirit. Love our true Tigers' fans, who only want to be involved when we're winning.

Show up Thursday, TRUE FANS. This is not Larry Porter days; it's all fixable.

GTG!

Great post. I am driving 4 hours with 5 people
10-10-2021 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.