Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Men's Soccer Defeats #18 Ranked Marquette
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
RE: NIU Men's Soccer Defeats #18 Ranked Marquette
Soccer has handed NIU a perfect opportunity to promote something positive out there in Chicagoland (does anyone say that any more?). And ... oh look! ... there's a huge segment of the population for whom soccer is #1. Good soccer. Which NIU apparently has. And ... oh look again ... how many schools, park districts, community organizations, etc., play ... soccer!

Just a thought.
09-26-2021 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big Red Online
All American

I Root For: NIU
(09-26-2021 04:57 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Soccer has handed NIU a perfect opportunity to promote something positive out there in Chicagoland (does anyone say that any more?). And ... oh look! ... there's a huge segment of the population for whom soccer is #1. Good soccer. Which NIU apparently has. And ... oh look again ... how many schools, park districts, community organizations, etc., play ... soccer!

Just a thought.

Spending money to promote NIU soccer in Chicago(land) would be a waste of money. I'm not trying to be negative. Just being real about it.
09-26-2021 06:04 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

How about picking 5 schools or whatever, grabbing 100 tickets to a weekend match and giving them out free at 20 per? Do that for 2-3 home matches per season. No big expensive effort, just come if you want. Pick up the tickets when they show up. Build a connection of sorts, or at least an awareness of D1 soccer in the area.
09-26-2021 07:46 PM
Big Red Online
All American

(09-26-2021 07:46 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  How about picking 5 schools or whatever, grabbing 100 tickets to a weekend match and giving them out free at 20 per? Do that for 2-3 home matches per season. No big expensive effort, just come if you want. Pick up the tickets when they show up. Build a connection of sorts, or at least an awareness of D1 soccer in the area.

I think that'd be more than fine. And, tbh, tickets don't actually cost the program anything unless it was going to be a sellout.

They could do that with every sport.
09-26-2021 07:49 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

Not sure you can give free tickets to high school kids. They’re potentially recruits so that seems like it may be a no no
09-26-2021 09:19 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

You may be/probably right, but there is a general regulation that says it's not a violation if it's available to any other prospective students. The language in NCAA regs is a little convoluted (go figure), but I can see NIU wanting to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

Damn! And it sounded so simple and common-sense. But if it was perfectly legal, we'd see colleges all over the country throwing tickets around. I mentioned it because I have seen club teams go to events.

Back to the drawing board.
09-27-2021 01:20 AM
Big Red Online
All American

(09-27-2021 01:20 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  You may be/probably right, but there is a general regulation that says it's not a violation if it's available to any other prospective students. The language in NCAA regs is a little convoluted (go figure), but I can see NIU wanting to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

Damn! And it sounded so simple and common-sense. But if it was perfectly legal, we'd see colleges all over the country throwing tickets around. I mentioned it because I have seen club teams go to events.

Back to the drawing board.

I would think, if there is a grey area, giving them out to multiple schools each time and not the same schools over and over (and establishing a pattern of this with all sports) would suffice any eyebrow raising.

But...all it takes is one unscrupulous coach to use it to their advantage and it creates a headache for the entire department.
09-27-2021 07:51 AM
NorthCoast Away
Your DEFINITIVE MAC source

I Root For: NIU/Equity/Beer
(09-25-2021 07:57 PM)NorthCoast Wrote:  NIU up 1-0 on Green Bay at Halftime.

Nick Markanich with his nation leading 11th goal and new school record, having scored in seven consecutive games.

Interview with the current NCAA leader in goals, Nick Markanich (starts at about 24:17 mark).

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2021 08:18 PM by NorthCoast.)
09-30-2021 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NorthCoast Away

FINAL: NIU with a 3-0 victory over Western. Another stellar defensive performance. Nick Markanich adds his 12th goal to his nation-leading tally. Pepe Martínez and Enrique Bañuelos each add one of their own as well.

Eight straight win and the sixth straight shutout by NIU. The team improves to 9-1 on the season with 30 goals scored and just 3 goals against.

Next match: Saturday 10/9, 3pm - NIU hosts #3 West Virginia.

https://twitter.com/NIUMSoccer/status/14...7325264902
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2021 01:23 PM by NorthCoast.)
10-02-2021 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NorthCoast Away

10-05-2021 07:11 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(10-02-2021 01:11 PM)NorthCoast Wrote:  FINAL: NIU with a 3-0 victory over Western. Another stellar defensive performance. Nick Markanich adds his 12th goal to his nation-leading tally. Pepe Martínez and Enrique Bañuelos each add one of their own as well.

Eight straight win and the sixth straight shutout by NIU. The team improves to 9-1 on the season with 30 goals scored and just 3 goals against.

Next match: Saturday 10/9, 3pm - NIU hosts #3 West Virginia.

https://twitter.com/NIUMSoccer/status/14...7325264902

"The team improves to 9-1 on the season with 30 goals scored and just 3 goals against."

WOW, hope these guys get a few people out to watch them play this weekend, they deserve it.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2021 11:00 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
10-06-2021 10:46 AM
NorthCoast Away

FINAL: NIU defeats #4 West Virginia 2-0. Defense getting it done. Adrian Lara opened up the scoring in the 35’ and Eddie Knight iced it with a goal in the 88’. Nick Markanich‘s consecutive game scoring streak came to an end but Martin Sanchez extended his consecutive shutout streak to seven (eight overall shutouts on the season).

Ninth straight win and the seventh straight shutout by NIU. The team improves to 10-1 on the season with 32 goals scored and just 3 goals against.

Next match: Saturday 10/16, 7pm CT - NIU hosts defending MAC Champ Bowling Green.

Attendance and parking is FREE.
10-09-2021 05:13 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Bring on Ted Lassos team!!!
10-09-2021 05:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.