Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT In Person College Football
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: OT In Person College Football
This is from the White House web site. In a different article several journalists are confused whether the President was talking about indoor venues only OR both outdoor and indoor venues, but here's the official posting:

The President’s plan calls on entertainment venues like sports arenas, large concert halls, and other venues where large groups of people gather to require that their patrons be vaccinated or show a negative test for entry.

Note its not a mandate-YET.

Here's an article that shows at least one media outlet believes the request applies only to indoors.

https://6abc.com/biden-speech-today-live.../11011592/
09-11-2021 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: OT In Person College Football
(09-11-2021 07:06 AM)emu79 Wrote:  This is from the White House web site. In a different article several journalists are confused whether the President was talking about indoor venues only OR both outdoor and indoor venues, but here's the official posting:

The President’s plan calls on entertainment venues like sports arenas, large concert halls, and other venues where large groups of people gather to require that their patrons be vaccinated or show a negative test for entry.

Note its not a mandate-YET.

Here's an article that shows at least one media outlet believes the request applies only to indoors.

https://6abc.com/biden-speech-today-live.../11011592/

Exactly!! Just remember the difference between authority under law and an exhortation.

POTUS has powers for things like employment (OSHA, part of the Labor Dept.), health care (Medicare/Medicaid funds), etc. but sports, entertainment are generally out of the reach of the Federal government unless someone brings a compelling case.

My 2 cents (now worth .34 cents after inflation) is that OSHA can require an usher or food vendor at Comerica Park to wear a mask but not a patron. One is an employee (think OSHA/DOL) and the other not.

Schools are interesting. Going back to the Civil Rights Acts in the 60s, the federal government got involved with education funding as a way of exerting influence over civil rights in the South. This was part of LBJ's plan to desegregate Southern schools. As I remember it was also designed to bring some financial EQUITY between school districts, i.e. raise up the poorer school districts.

I haven't paid much attention to the give and take between Biden and DeSantis.
See below for the relevant Civil Rights Act (1964) if anyone wants background info on federal dollars and education and wants to play lawyer.

Here is the legal description. [I did some Google searching years ago for someone writing a college paper on this subject.]

https://www.justia.com/education/discrim.../title-vi/

I believe this is the relevant area of the law:

"Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is the primary education law that protects people from discrimination based on race, national origin, or color in educational programs or activities. The educational programs or activities that are covered by Title VI are those that receive federal financial assistance. The entity that receives federal financial assistance and must comply is known as the recipient. Recipients that must comply with Title VI include state education agencies, vocational rehabilitation agencies, local education systems, colleges and universities, proprietary institutions, and libraries and museums that receive federal funds.

How Is Title VI Enforced?
The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces Title VI as it applies to programs and activities funded by the federal Department of Education. "
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2021 09:02 AM by emu steve.)
09-11-2021 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.