Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC Announces Changes to Hoops Format & All Championships Announced
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
WAC Announces Changes to Hoops Format & All Championships Announced
All the championship sites have been announced. Most notably change is a slight adjustment to the WAC basketball tournament which is expanding to 10 teams and will feature first round games at a location TBA

===

DENVER – The WAC today announced the dates, sites and hosts for all 19 of its championships for 2021-22 school year.

Headlining the schedule is the 2022 WAC Basketball Tournament, which will hold the final three rounds on March 9-12, at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. With the tournament expanding to 10 teams this season, the date and site for the first round games will be announced at a later date.

"We are excited to not only return to Orleans Arena, as it has proven to be a great venue for our tournament, but also to spread our championships across our geographic footprint," said WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd.

Seven different institutions will host WAC Championships during the 2021-22 year. Nine of the 19 championships will be held at neutral sites.

https://wacsports.com/general/2021-22/re...0819o1l04h
08-19-2021 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
RE: WAC Announces Changes to Hoops Format & All Championships Announced
(08-19-2021 03:57 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  All the championship sites have been announced. Most notably change is a slight adjustment to the WAC basketball tournament which is expanding to 10 teams and will feature first round games at a location TBA

===

DENVER – The WAC today announced the dates, sites and hosts for all 19 of its championships for 2021-22 school year.

Headlining the schedule is the 2022 WAC Basketball Tournament, which will hold the final three rounds on March 9-12, at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. With the tournament expanding to 10 teams this season, the date and site for the first round games will be announced at a later date.

"We are excited to not only return to Orleans Arena, as it has proven to be a great venue for our tournament, but also to spread our championships across our geographic footprint," said WAC Commissioner Jeff Hurd.

Seven different institutions will host WAC Championships during the 2021-22 year. Nine of the 19 championships will be held at neutral sites.

Does it mean six teams go straight to Las Vegas, four teams go to the play-in round, and three teams don't go the tournament at all?
08-19-2021 06:06 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(08-19-2021 06:06 PM)edinburger Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 03:57 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  All the championship sites have been announced. Most notably change is a slight adjustment to the WAC basketball tournament which is expanding to 10 teams and will feature first round games at a location TBA

===

Does it mean six teams go straight to Las Vegas, four teams go to the play-in round, and three teams don't go the tournament at all?

That’s how I read it.
08-19-2021 06:56 PM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
Not huge on the play in games. Kinda think that those are bush league.
08-19-2021 11:53 PM
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
(08-19-2021 11:53 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  Not huge on the play in games. Kinda think that those are bush league.

The WAC has a lot of teams from Texas now, Texas is where George W. Bush lives, so the WAC is now THE Bush league. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, can’t get fooled again.
08-20-2021 06:17 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
In 2020 before Covid hit the Sun Belt had everything on campuses except for the Semifinals and Championship in New Orleans. It was pretty awesome. I wish we would continue to do that. We had almost 7k for our quarterfinal game. That's way more people than I've ever seen at our tournament in New Orleans. Unfortunately the semifinal and championships were cancelled, maybe following all the hype we would've brought a few thousand to New Orleans.
08-20-2021 11:56 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(08-20-2021 11:56 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  In 2020 before Covid hit the Sun Belt had everything on campuses except for the Semifinals and Championship in New Orleans. It was pretty awesome. I wish we would continue to do that. We had almost 7k for our quarterfinal game. That's way more people than I've ever seen at our tournament in New Orleans. Unfortunately the semifinal and championships were cancelled, maybe following all the hype we would've brought a few thousand to New Orleans.

The best games I ever attended in-person on campus in the sport of basketball were the on-campus postseason games when the Southland did that in the early 2000s. Now granted Sam Houston was "in the mix" and in 2003, hosted a pair or trio of games including a Southland final against SFA with both schools trying to make their first appearance - but that was something!

The only issue with the WAC is that it is harder to get from TX to Las Vegas on a whim vs TX to New Orleans on a whim.

The play-in games should be in the Las Vegas area as much as I would love on campus post-season games, just from a logistics and fan interest perspective.
08-20-2021 01:03 PM
Advertisement

edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV
(08-20-2021 01:03 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 11:56 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  In 2020 before Covid hit the Sun Belt had everything on campuses except for the Semifinals and Championship in New Orleans. It was pretty awesome. I wish we would continue to do that. We had almost 7k for our quarterfinal game. That's way more people than I've ever seen at our tournament in New Orleans. Unfortunately the semifinal and championships were cancelled, maybe following all the hype we would've brought a few thousand to New Orleans.

The best games I ever attended in-person on campus in the sport of basketball were the on-campus postseason games when the Southland did that in the early 2000s. Now granted Sam Houston was "in the mix" and in 2003, hosted a pair or trio of games including a Southland final against SFA with both schools trying to make their first appearance - but that was something!

The only issue with the WAC is that it is harder to get from TX to Las Vegas on a whim vs TX to New Orleans on a whim.

The play-in games should be in the Las Vegas area as much as I would love on campus post-season games, just from a logistics and fan interest perspective.

Unless the play-ins are the night before the regular quarterfinals and not more than a few miles away, it's hard to imagine a lot of people attending. If that can't be met, might as well get the benefits of having it on a campus.
08-20-2021 05:36 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(08-20-2021 05:36 PM)edinburger Wrote:  

Unless the play-ins are the night before the regular quarterfinals and not more than a few miles away, it's hard to imagine a lot of people attending. If that can't be met, might as well get the benefits of having it on a campus.

If a team is so bad they are in a play in game, they most likely don't have a lot of fans.
08-20-2021 05:43 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU

The best way to not have a quick turn around to Vegas is be in the top6 and you have nothing to worry about. Those in the play in game aren't likely to do much in Vegas anyways.
08-20-2021 05:49 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(08-20-2021 05:49 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

The best way to not have a quick turn around to Vegas is be in the top6 and you have nothing to worry about. Those in the play in game aren't likely to do much in Vegas anyways.

Agreed. A conference that isn't all that deep, is this large, and this spread out isn't going to be able to accommodate every bottom tier member who wants a home tournament game AND an easy transition to Vegas. That's what the regular season is for.
08-20-2021 07:46 PM
SammyH Offline
Banned

I Root For: Sam Houston St
(08-20-2021 05:43 PM)Todor Wrote:  

If a team is so bad they are in a play in game, they most likely don't have a lot of fans.
This is the WAC. None of the schools have a lot of fans.

Edit: sorry, I momentarily forgot that a certain online diploma mill pays their students to go to games
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 08:41 PM by SammyH.)
08-20-2021 08:37 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
(08-20-2021 08:37 PM)SammyH Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 05:43 PM)Todor Wrote:  

This is the WAC. None of the schools have a lot of fans.

Edit: sorry, I momentarily forgot that a certain online diploma mill pays their students to go to games

Once again, you prove you know nothing. GCU isn’t the only team that brings the fans.
08-21-2021 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.