Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should the conference do anything if NMSU gets grabbed by the MWC?
Bookmark and Share
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
RE: Should the conference do anything if NMSU gets grabbed by the MWC?
This thread asks how the WAC should respond if NMSU is grabbed by the WAC? My question is whether the MWC has talked about NMSU as a possible addition? My question is prompted by a report yesterday that the MWC had discussed North Dakota State and wondered if any reports have suggested NMSU is another school under discussion?
09-24-2021 04:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
(09-24-2021 04:56 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  This thread asks how the WAC should respond if NMSU is grabbed by the WAC? My question is whether the MWC has talked about NMSU as a possible addition? My question is prompted by a report yesterday that the MWC had discussed North Dakota State and wondered if any reports have suggested NMSU is another school under discussion?

Maybe NSDU contacted the MWC, and I know there’s a few NDSU fans that are vocal on the MWC board but I’m not sure the MWC has discussed adding them. As for NMSU no. So the question of whether the WAC should do anything if NMSU gets grabbed by the MWC is not important. Cuz it’ll never happen. Now let’s get back to the side discussions we had going on this thread.
09-24-2021 06:18 AM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(09-24-2021 06:18 AM)YesCubanB Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 04:56 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  This thread asks how the WAC should respond if NMSU is grabbed by the WAC? My question is whether the MWC has talked about NMSU as a possible addition? My question is prompted by a report yesterday that the MWC had discussed North Dakota State and wondered if any reports have suggested NMSU is another school under discussion?

Maybe NSDU contacted the MWC, and I know there’s a few NDSU fans that are vocal on the MWC board but I’m not sure the MWC has discussed adding them. As for NMSU no. So the question of whether the WAC should do anything if NMSU gets grabbed by the MWC is not important. Cuz it’ll never happen. Now let’s get back to the side discussions we had going on this thread.

FWIW, https://www.kvrr.com/2021/09/23/report-m...pst0u-Q6dg
09-24-2021 07:50 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU

But what if and here me out here.... what if the MWC takes NMSU and becomes a FCS league.... Everyone on these board would have nothing left to talk about in regards of FCS and MWC with NMSU....
09-24-2021 09:00 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

(09-24-2021 07:50 AM)OscarWildeCat Wrote:  

FWIW, https://www.kvrr.com/2021/09/23/report-m...pst0u-Q6dg

I stand corrected. Not sure how high up NDSU is up on their list. I would imagine not very high. I still think they’ll try to get into Texas with UTSA or UNT. That said, I do think NDSU and the Montana’s would make great additions to any fb conference. And I do think if the MWC was smart they’d put strong consideration to NDSU. Sadly a lot of these discussions start revolving around markets and tv deals. My opinion is you add good programs and the market will grow. A good example is UTSA. They are in a great market of the San Antonio area yet their attendance for fb games is atrocious for a city that size. So what good is being in a large market if no one there cares about that team or conference?
09-24-2021 10:38 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

I am not very hopeful that it would happen however, I do believe that anything that happens with NMSU will be behind closed doors until it actually happens. We aren't that school that John Q Public is going to speculate about. That doesn't mean discussions aren't being had.

I think there are a few more dominoes to fall before we enter the discussion.

GO AGGIES!!!!!
09-24-2021 02:58 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Matt Brown was specifically asked about NMSU on his Twitter account. He responded with the below...

09-24-2021 04:41 PM
Hilldog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
This question assumes all the other WAC schools will stay. While the football schools will stay, the non football schools, may likely look elsewhere. 3 of the non football schools are private schools. Maybe they don't like seeing state schools with football being the majority, thus deciding on the direction of the WAC. We all know SU would leave yesterday if they got a WCC invite. We also know, the WCC invite isn't coming, because of many factors, one of the biggest being SU sucks in hoops and doesn't bring anything to the WCC.

With all the conference movement, I would hate to see a conference or two, and their auto bid to March Madness gone! I don't want that bid to go to the 9th place P5 school with an 8-10 conference record make the dance.
09-24-2021 06:43 PM
Pounder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(09-24-2021 06:43 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  This question assumes all the other WAC schools will stay. While the football schools will stay, the non football schools, may likely look elsewhere. 3 of the non football schools are private schools. Maybe they don't like seeing state schools with football being the majority, thus deciding on the direction of the WAC. We all know SU would leave yesterday if they got a WCC invite. We also know, the WCC invite isn't coming, because of many factors, one of the biggest being SU sucks in hoops and doesn't bring anything to the WCC.

With all the conference movement, I would hate to see a conference or two, and their auto bid to March Madness gone! I don't want that bid to go to the 9th place P5 school with an 8-10 conference record make the dance.

Amidst the “further confirmation” of the AFA & CSU to AAC I’m seeing, an interesting point was made.

Apparently the Mountain West expects no drop off to their Broadcast contract from losing those institutions.

Maybe that’s foolhardy.

But the inference is that there’s no value in them further expanding. At all.

The inference is more understandable than the MWC belief about the contract.
09-28-2021 12:46 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
I can’t imagine being the AD or President at New Mexico State anytime something comes up in the Mountain West. I’m sure their heads are spinning and they certainly know they want to do what’s best for the school if said opportunities come

09-28-2021 12:57 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(09-28-2021 12:57 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  I can’t imagine being the AD or President at New Mexico State anytime something comes up in the Mountain West. I’m sure their heads are spinning and they certainly know they want to do what’s best for the school if said opportunities come

I would've suspected an announcement before mid-October. Otherwise, weeks start to become months, and Aresco said their decision would take weeks, not months.
09-28-2021 01:15 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(09-28-2021 12:46 PM)Pounder Wrote:  
(09-24-2021 06:43 PM)Hilldog Wrote:  This question assumes all the other WAC schools will stay. While the football schools will stay, the non football schools, may likely look elsewhere. 3 of the non football schools are private schools. Maybe they don't like seeing state schools with football being the majority, thus deciding on the direction of the WAC. We all know SU would leave yesterday if they got a WCC invite. We also know, the WCC invite isn't coming, because of many factors, one of the biggest being SU sucks in hoops and doesn't bring anything to the WCC.

Amidst the “further confirmation” of the AFA & CSU to AAC I’m seeing, an interesting point was made.

Apparently the Mountain West expects no drop off to their Broadcast contract from losing those institutions.

Maybe that’s foolhardy.

But the inference is that there’s no value in them further expanding. At all.

The inference is more understandable than the MWC belief about the contract.

Optics. The MWC will have to add/raid someone so they don't appear to be weak. Plus the AAC could be targeting more MWC programs. Either way that means the MWC has to be on the prowl for members. If the MWC loses 2 more on top of AF & CSU, they could make some interesting moves to stay viable as a conference.
09-28-2021 11:34 PM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
This Expansion Merry Go Round is going to keep going for a few years. The dust will not settle until the TV contracts for the PAC and Big 12 are done in 2024/25 respectively.

As far as the MWC AFA and CSU are as good as gone and Boise is hoping for a Big12 invite in a few years or less so they will say no to AAC...at least for now. I do not think the AAC will go after SDSU unless Boise says yes, so they are "safe" for now. Who will the MWC go after IF they decide to expand and compensate for the loss of 2 teams? Doubt and AAC team will jump. UTEP and NMSU are very last resorts and they are not anywhere near that point yet. So its 2 of the following most likely UNT/UTSA/TEX ST and or Montana/NDSU/SDSU. I honestly think Montana and NDSU would be better options because they are the "best" thing in the state where as the Texas schools that are options are so far down the list no one in Texas really gives a hoot about them besides the students and Alums and switching from one G5 to another is not going to all of the sudden make them more attractive media/money wise, but Montana and NDSU would be big money makers as far as G5 goes.
09-29-2021 03:50 AM
YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

IF the MWC decides to add they will be looking at Texas and I seriously doubt UTEP is that high on the list. There’s a lot of history with UTEP with current MWC schools but we’ve seen how little history counts in the last couple of decades.

I think the AAC is playing the long game here. They wanted Boise and SDSU, obviously, but I think they knew those two were gone either way eventually so they took the two they could pick off and that have good potential. Now when the MWC eventually loses Boise and SDSU to P5 or other conferences the AAC is poised yet again to have the strength and pick off any other MWC schools they want or be the first conference other schools try to get into to.

I thought with the current makeup of the MWC all their teams would stay put, I thought they were now the strongest conference of the two, but the stronger conference usually doesn’t have two teams picked off by the weaker one.
09-29-2021 06:48 AM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

(09-29-2021 03:50 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  This Expansion Merry Go Round is going to keep going for a few years. The dust will not settle until the TV contracts for the PAC and Big 12 are done in 2024/25 respectively.

As far as the MWC AFA and CSU are as good as gone and Boise is hoping for a Big12 invite in a few years or less so they will say no to AAC...at least for now. I do not think the AAC will go after SDSU unless Boise says yes, so they are "safe" for now. Who will the MWC go after IF they decide to expand and compensate for the loss of 2 teams? Doubt and AAC team will jump. UTEP and NMSU are very last resorts and they are not anywhere near that point yet. So its 2 of the following most likely UNT/UTSA/TEX ST and or Montana/NDSU/SDSU. I honestly think Montana and NDSU would be better options because they are the "best" thing in the state where as the Texas schools that are options are so far down the list no one in Texas really gives a hoot about them besides the students and Alums and switching from one G5 to another is not going to all of the sudden make them more attractive media/money wise, but Montana and NDSU would be big money makers as far as G5 goes.

LOL. These programs bring nothing to an FBS conference other than a warm body. Zero recruiting, zero TV market, more travel to a place with no benefit in traveling to. Factor in that Montucky wouldn't be allowed to join without their inbred brother MSU and you get a double whammy for the state of Montana.

It should be TX or bust for the MWC in their backfilling plans.
09-29-2021 12:58 PM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
(09-29-2021 12:58 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  
(09-29-2021 03:50 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  This Expansion Merry Go Round is going to keep going for a few years. The dust will not settle until the TV contracts for the PAC and Big 12 are done in 2024/25 respectively.

LOL. These programs bring nothing to an FBS conference other than a warm body. Zero recruiting, zero TV market, more travel to a place with no benefit in traveling to. Factor in that Montucky wouldn't be allowed to join without their inbred brother MSU and you get a double whammy for the state of Montana.

I believe that Conference USA could benefit from adding North Dakota State and South Dakota State. Women's basketball could legitimately become a 2-3-bid league with Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Rice, Louisiana Tech, and South Dakota State. Football would be elevated by bringing in both NDSU and SDSU as they would both bring a competitive edge.

Fargo has a metro population of over 200,000 and eclipses Hattiesburg, MS.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2021 01:53 PM by All4One.)
09-29-2021 01:19 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

(09-29-2021 01:19 PM)All4One Wrote:  
(09-29-2021 12:58 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  

I believe that Conference USA could benefit from adding North Dakota State and South Dakota State. Women's basketball could legitimately become a 2-3-bid league with Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Rice, and South Dakota State. Football would be elevated by bringing in both NDSU and SDSU as they would both bring a competitive edge.

Fargo has a metro population of over 200,000 and eclipses Hattiesburg, MS.

I'm not buying a bunch of southern/southeastern based programs wanting to travel to the great plains for a WBB bid. They'd grab some WAC programs long before considering programs in the Dakota's.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2021 01:53 PM by SDHornet.)
09-29-2021 01:53 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(09-29-2021 06:48 AM)YesCubanB Wrote:  IF the MWC decides to add they will be looking at Texas and I seriously doubt UTEP is that high on the list. There’s a lot of history with UTEP with current MWC schools but we’ve seen how little history counts in the last couple of decades.

I think the AAC is playing the long game here. They wanted Boise and SDSU, obviously, but I think they knew those two were gone either way eventually so they took the two they could pick off and that have good potential. Now when the MWC eventually loses Boise and SDSU to P5 or other conferences the AAC is poised yet again to have the strength and pick off any other MWC schools they want or be the first conference other schools try to get into to.

I thought with the current makeup of the MWC all their teams would stay put, I thought they were now the strongest conference of the two, but the stronger conference usually doesn’t have two teams picked off by the weaker one.

The MWC is stronger than the "new" AAC, but unfortunately has a couple of members who seem to be having difficulty comprehending logic.

AFA and CSU want to go to the AAC even though it's a poorer fit for them because they're afraid the Big 12 will cherry-pick BSU. However this doesn't take into account that (1) there's a good chance the Big 12 will stand pat leaving BSU in the MWC and (2) if BSU is taken then at the same time the Big 12 will take Memphis from the AAC. In either scenario the MWC will remain stronger than the AAC, provided AFA and CSU stay where they are.

So if they do leave they'll be trading a near-guarantee of being in the stronger conference for a gamble that by leaving they might be able to bring the MWC down to the AAC's level. Viewed from the perspective of game theory both schools would be acting irrationally.

As for SDSU, they're below BSU, Memphis, USF and SMU on the Big 12's radar screen, and if the Pac-12 expands SDSU probably won't even get a look because the UC schools will block them. Consequently the likelihood of both BSU and SDSU leaving the MWC is far less than the likelihood of both Memphis and USF being poached from the AAC. So that scenario isn't a rational basis for AFA and CSU to move either.

The bottom line is that Mike Aresco is an impressive combination of chess master and hustler. He's successfully identified the MWC's only potential vulnerability in the current situation and is going all out to exploit it by playing on irrational fears and promising long-shot benefits. The only open question is whether AFA and CSU will fall for the scam.
09-29-2021 01:54 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

(09-29-2021 01:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(09-29-2021 06:48 AM)YesCubanB Wrote:  IF the MWC decides to add they will be looking at Texas and I seriously doubt UTEP is that high on the list. There’s a lot of history with UTEP with current MWC schools but we’ve seen how little history counts in the last couple of decades.

The MWC is stronger than the "new" AAC, but unfortunately has a couple of members who seem to be having difficulty comprehending logic.

AFA and CSU want to go to the AAC even though it's a poorer fit for them because they're afraid the Big 12 will cherry-pick BSU. However this doesn't take into account that (1) there's a good chance the Big 12 will stand pat leaving BSU in the MWC and (2) if BSU is taken then at the same time the Big 12 will take Memphis from the AAC. In either scenario the MWC will remain stronger than the AAC, provided AFA and CSU stay where they are.

So if they do leave they'll be trading a near-guarantee of being in the stronger conference for a gamble that by leaving they might be able to bring the MWC down to the AAC's level. Viewed from the perspective of game theory both schools would be acting irrationally.

As for SDSU, they're below BSU, Memphis, USF and SMU on the Big 12's radar screen, and if the Pac-12 expands SDSU probably won't even get a look because the UC schools will block them. Consequently the likelihood of both BSU and SDSU leaving the MWC is far less than the likelihood of both Memphis and USF being poached from the AAC. So that scenario isn't a rational basis for AFA and CSU to move either.

The bottom line is that Mike Aresco is an impressive combination of chess master and hustler. He's successfully identified the MWC's only potential vulnerability in the current situation and is going all out to exploit it by playing on irrational fears and promising long-shot benefits. The only open question is whether AFA and CSU will fall for the scam.

Good post. I don't see what's in it for AFA and CSU either. I think it is an Aresco ploy to get BSU/SDSU to join. At that point the MWC has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for new members. Supposedly the AFA-CSU announcement is coming next week.
09-29-2021 01:58 PM
Pounder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(09-29-2021 01:58 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  
(09-29-2021 01:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Good post. I don't see what's in it for AFA and CSU either. I think it is an Aresco ploy to get BSU/SDSU to join. At that point the MWC has to scrape the bottom of the barrel for new members. Supposedly the AFA-CSU announcement is coming next week.

Recent whispers I've heard say that Air Force has really gotten tired of nearly every other member of the MWC.

The supposed backstory is that Wyoming-UNM-CSU-AFA were kind of the backbone of the breakaway group that met at the Denver airport to create the conference (thus keeping Utah and BYU in their pocket to some degree). That backbone has withered without Utah and BYU.

The one thing I could posit about Colorado State... if you're trying to recruit a bit in Texas and a bit in California, and one of those states has a significant drop in HS football participation, maybe you seek a conference to bolster the investment you recently made in an on-campus stadium. Flimsy stuff to be sure, but it's a guess.
09-29-2021 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.