Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which NAIA school(s) would be the most likely to become NCAA D-1 in next 25 years?
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
RE: Which NAIA school(s) would be the most likely to become NCAA D-1 in next 25 years?
(07-20-2021 01:03 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(07-20-2021 12:39 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Now that Tennessee has taken over Martin Methodist and rebranded as UT Southern, I wonder how long they'll stay in the NAIA?

Where would they go? D2 Gulf South?

I believe they will make it to the Gulf South, it would really help if they add football. The Peach Belt isn't to bad of an option either for a non-football conference. They're not that far outside the PBC footprint, the drive is fairly decent to several members.
07-20-2021 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Which NAIA school(s) would be the most likely to become NCAA D-1 in next 25 years?
(07-19-2021 11:12 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  TAMU-SA, because of their growth plan, the state that they're in and the conferences they could join.

Everyone else is a super long shot.

UC Merced could grow enough to be big enough. There's a lot of land that could be bought in Merced. But there's not enough of a fan base. Merced is sort of a bedroom community for the East Bay area, and all those people are actually fans of teams in the Bay Area.

UBC could go if indeed the NCAA ever allows it. They are big and high academic. Beautiful campus in a great city. I don't think the NCAA would allow it though.

I don't think OK City is a prospect. Since the NBA came to town there's not been as much interest. Too small a school and too small an endowment.

Georgia Gwinnett, now up to 12k students. It will take a facilities campaign to get a basketball arena.

Bellevue, NE. About 10k students but only 28m endowment.

All of these are much better prospects for D2 than D1, but seem to be very comfortable playing for championships in the NAIA. But given 25 years? A lot could change.

Bellevue is a commuter school focused on older, working students. Not really DI material
07-20-2021 02:20 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
University North Texas at Dallas might get big enough to join D1 if they could pull if off.

There are schools not listed yet that public schools took over like Lambuth is now part of Memphis's branch.

I am surprise that some of the growth at some of the publics in the NAIA got stunted a bit. I just don't think their culture really fits them to be down there. It is hard to get noticed in NAIA as it is as D1 is hogging the spotlight.
07-21-2021 12:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Illinoisking91 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Illinois
None can because they have to be d2 first
11-02-2022 08:16 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(11-02-2022 08:16 PM)Illinoisking91 Wrote:  None can because they have to be d2 first

HBU now HCU got a waiver because they used to be D-I so they went from the NAIA to D-I after the D-II rule was applied. St.Thomas also did it going D-III to D-I. So OCU and Loyola(LA) could since they were D-I. But other than them, no one.
11-03-2022 01:00 AM
jimrtex Online
All American

I Root For: Houston, Tulsa, Colorado
(11-02-2022 08:16 PM)Illinoisking91 Wrote:  None can because they have to be d2 first
Three years to become a DII members, then five years as DII member, then four years to transition to DI.

So 12 years for a change to DI, and the question asked about 25 years.

NAIA schools that are public, fairly large, fairly new, and growing, and increasingly don't fit with their NAIA league-mates, and leaders may be wanting to foster a whole experience that includes academics, athletics, and dorm housing.

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia
Indiana University-Southeast
11-03-2022 02:16 AM
Nevadaking23 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Nevada
id be fine with all of em moving up lol
11-03-2022 02:35 AM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
(11-03-2022 02:16 AM)jimrtex Wrote:  
Three years to become a DII members, then five years as DII member, then four years to transition to DI.

NAIA schools that are public, fairly large, fairly new, and growing, and increasingly don't fit with their NAIA league-mates, and leaders may be wanting to foster a whole experience that includes academics, athletics, and dorm housing.

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

Georgia Gwinnett, who seems to be uninterested in basketball. But everything else makes sense.
11-03-2022 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
The B1G desire for U of Toronto had NOTHING to do with AAU! It wants access to Toronto, AKA one of the biggest cities in North America!
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2022 04:41 PM by Erictelevision.)
11-03-2022 10:12 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Which NAIA school(s) would be the most likely to become NCAA D-1 in next 25 years
(11-03-2022 10:12 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  The B1G desire for U of Toronto had NOTHING to do with AAU! It was access to Toronto, AKA one of the biggest cities in North America!

[Image: nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg]
11-03-2022 11:54 AM
jimrtex Online
All American

(11-03-2022 09:37 AM)teamvsn Wrote:  

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

Georgia Gwinnett, who seems to be uninterested in basketball. But everything else makes sense.
I was comparing to Kennesaw State.

1976 became four-year university.
1983 NAIA
1995 NCAA DII
2006 NCAA DI-FCS
2024 NCAA DI-FBS

For GGC:

(it seems odd that they are still C with 12,000 students, but Georgia appears to call its community colleges, "technical colleges", which suggests more of a focus on certification rather than first two years of academic work.)

2005 established
2012 NAIA

Based on Kennesaw State

(2024 NCAA DII)
(2035 NCAA DI)

DI with 12 years to spare.
11-03-2022 01:17 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Any Penn State branches NAIA??
11-04-2022 03:01 AM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
(11-04-2022 03:01 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Any Penn State branches NAIA??

https://www.psuschuylkillathletics.com/landing/index

Dual NAIA and USCCA.
11-04-2022 09:14 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Any of the west coast NAIA football schools will go up? D1 and D3 have the most.

British Columbia
Victoria
Southern Oregon
College of Idaho
Eastern Oregon
Simpson
Arizona Christian
Ottawa Arizona

A coupld could be future like Lincoln California who are unaffiliated and Snow out of Utah who could go 4 years. It is pretty sad to have very little schools with football that does hurt with the cost for the west coast schools.
11-04-2022 12:49 PM
joeben69 Offline
1st String

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

UC Merced wants NCAA Division II California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA).

UC Merced hopes to join the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the near future. The school's goal is to compete at the NCAA Division II level as part of the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University...#Athletics
11-04-2022 02:12 PM
jimrtex Online
All American

(11-04-2022 02:12 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

UC Merced wants NCAA Division II California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA).

UC Merced hopes to join the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the near future. The school's goal is to compete at the NCAA Division II level as part of the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA).
UC Merced will eventually be in the Big West with most of the other UC's.
11-04-2022 04:39 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(11-04-2022 04:39 PM)jimrtex Wrote:  

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

Isn't Sacramento State the only Division I CSU (or UC) that doesn't belong to the Big West?
11-04-2022 04:55 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-04-2022 04:55 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

Isn't Sacramento State the only Division I CSU (or UC) that doesn't belong to the Big West?

Fresno State
San Jose State
San Diego State
11-04-2022 05:35 PM
jimrtex Online
All American

(11-04-2022 04:55 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

Possibilities include

UC-Merced
TAMU-San Antonio
Middle Georgia

San Jose State, San Diego State, and Fresno State are in the Mountain West, and UCLA and Cal-Berkeley are in the Pac-12 (for now).

But Sacramento State is an odd-ball since they are in the Big Sky. They could just as easily be in the Big West, and play football as an affiliate in the Big Sky (like UC-Davis and Cal Poly-SLO). There must be some historical quirk, since Sacramento State affiliates their baseball with the WAC (the Big Sky does not sponsor baseball).

CSU-Channel Islands does not have athletics above the club level. Despite the name, the main campus is on the mainland. UC San Francisco also does not have athletices, but they are the medical branch.
11-04-2022 05:44 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is a question? I keep hearing Santa Rosa which is a big school in California, go from being a community college to a full fledge four year school? They have several that UC system could take over and turned them into a good four year college. A lot of them have football which could help football in the NAIA and NCAA levels in the future.
11-04-2022 11:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.