Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Judge not
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Judge not
This is a quote from Matthew 7 but it may be the most misused and misquoted verse in the entire Bible. People use it to say Jesus told us not to make judgments, but that is not remotely what Jesus said. In fact Jesus told us specifically to make judgments and discern things, but not to be hypocrites in our judgments.

“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Jesus also tells us to "Judge with RIGHTEOUS judgment" in John chapter 7.

A better word in modern vernacular might be "Discern, or discernment".

Jesus absolutely taught we are to discern between good and evil in the world and in people. In other words, make judgments, but righteous judgments and be not hypocrites when we do.

A Christian should absolutely be able to judge between a lost person and a saved person, as Christ said we will know them by their fruits. How can you know someone by their fruits without making a judgment?

To know them by their fruits is to make a judgment about their fruits. This is common sense stuff.

That does not mean we go around getting in people faces and telling them they are lost, we share the gospel in love to warn them and bring them to the light.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2021 11:32 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
07-18-2021 11:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: Judge not
As Pastor Greg Laurie says, Matthew 7 is the non believers favorite verse, its the one verse in the Bible they all seem to know. Why? Because you are likely telling them they are wrong about something, or telling them they are a sinner or just speaking a Biblical truth and they want to silence you.

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2021 12:31 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
07-19-2021 12:29 AM
Advertisement

G-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Truth & Justice
I agree with you that this verse is often misused and misquoted.
02-21-2022 04:47 PM
sstaedtler88 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty, Army
Most misquoted verse in the Bible, usually by non-believers.
07-11-2022 10:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.