Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dixie State's new name...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Dixie State's new name...
I'm not sure this name (Utah University of Technology & Arts) is a good idea... Utah T&A.
06-09-2021 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
(06-09-2021 08:29 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I'm not sure this name (Utah University of Technology & Arts) is a good idea... Utah T&A.

chant:
i don't know what i've been told...
utah t&a is mighty cold..
sound off...
06-10-2021 01:37 AM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
New name recommended.

06-14-2021 02:05 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(06-14-2021 02:05 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  New name recommended.

UPS University. Maybe they can get UPS to sponsor athletics.
06-14-2021 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
So they went with the Cal Poly model. Cal Poly’s full name is California Polytechnic State University. The branding is Cal Poly because Cal Tech was already taken. Utah Polytechnic State University won’t have that problem so Utah Tech it is.

Excellent rebranding choice IMHO.
06-14-2021 03:49 PM
OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
(06-14-2021 03:49 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  So they went with the Cal Poly model. Cal Poly’s full name is California Polytechnic State University. The branding is Cal Poly because Cal Tech was already taken. Utah Polytechnic State University won’t have that problem so Utah Tech it is.

Excellent rebranding choice IMHO.

Utah Poly!

Let the double entendres begin!
06-14-2021 04:29 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
UPSU!
06-15-2021 11:20 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

06-29-2021 02:36 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

06-29-2021 02:59 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/20...sion-over/

After the initial suggestion of a new name for Dixie State University caused confusion and even more pushback, the school’s board of trustees have decided to move forward with a clearer option: Utah Tech University.

Board members voted unanimously Tuesday to drop the earlier recommendation of Utah Polytechnic State University and go with the shortened version that they say still captures the technology element they wanted to spotlight.
06-29-2021 03:13 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

06-29-2021 06:37 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
So the WAC is getting five new schools for the fall of 21. Cool.
06-29-2021 09:33 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(06-29-2021 09:33 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  So the WAC is getting five new schools for the fall of 21. Cool.

Seems there’s at least one more hurdle for this name changed to get approved. Not 100% sure of timeline but presume this means Dixie State won’t change until 22-23 unless they have jerseys, signage and the whole thing just available with the UTech moniker
06-29-2021 09:58 PM
OhioBoilermaker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue, NMSU
(06-08-2021 11:29 PM)OhioBoilermaker Wrote:  UIT is my favorite. Can be always be spoken as Utah Tech. After all, Georgia Tech is actually Georgia Institute of Technology.

“Tech” just sounds tacky to me when used in a school’s official name.

I stand by it! "Utah Tech University" is tacky.
06-30-2021 12:31 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(06-29-2021 06:37 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

I actually think Utah Valley shouldn't have shed the Utah Tech name. UTU has symmetry. And, UTU, UT, and U-Tech all works well for school marketing. Dixie State should take the Utah Tech name and run with it.

Also, I think Tarleton State should drop "State" from it's name and just go by Tarleton for its sports teams; much like how Stephen F. Austin and Middle Tennessee have dropped "State" when referenced. They should just be called the Tarleton Texans and their uniforms shouldn't have "State" on them. I think this works well for marketing. Just my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2021 04:47 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
06-30-2021 04:05 AM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
Also, I think Tarleton State should drop "State" from it's name and just go by Tarleton for its sports teams; much like how Stephen F. Austin and Middle Tennessee have dropped "State" when referenced. They should just be called the Tarleton Texans and their uniforms shouldn't have "State" on them. I think this works well for marketing. Just my opinion.

100% agree!!!!!!

Most Tarleton fans don’t use use state when using the name and I wish the uniforms didn’t display the name. The name Tarleton is a unique brand and doesn’t need the state dragging behind it.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2021 05:51 PM by TexanFan.)
06-30-2021 12:41 PM
FirstandGoal Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Lamar
Let me get this straight. Utah Valley previously was named Utah Tech? That is going to make for some confusing history.
06-30-2021 02:16 PM
TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
(06-30-2021 02:16 PM)FirstandGoal Wrote:  Let me get this straight. Utah Valley previously was named Utah Tech? That is going to make for some confusing history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Valley_University

Yea there were a lot of Utah Technical College at XXX campuses. I always thought one of them would have graduated to flagship status for Utah Tech. Most of them are still small regional tech locations that have adopted local names. Davis Applied Tech, Bridgerland Applied Tech, etc.

I always thought that Utah Valley University was a name that sold itself short. Especially if they wanted to attract more attention to itself beyond Utah County. Utah Valley wasn't even a recognized name on any state maps as a geographical location. To this day, UVU has the reputation of being a feeder school to students who want into BYU, but couldn't get in at the time.

IMHO UVU should have completed their plans they had when they were trying to get into the Big Sky and sponsored a FCS football team. Currently along the Wasatch Front (where the bulk of Utah's population resides) Dixie State gets more attention than Utah Valley. I believe football attracts more attention than UVU's college soccer team plan.
06-30-2021 03:17 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(06-30-2021 12:41 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  Also, I think Tarleton State should drop "State" from it's name and just go by Tarleton for its sports teams; much like how Stephen F. Austin and Middle Tennessee have dropped "State" when referenced. They should just be called the Tarleton Texans and their uniforms shouldn't have "State" on them. I think this works well for marketing. Just my opinion.
Quote:100% agree!!!!!!

Most Tarleton fans don’t use use state when using the name and I wish the uniforms didn’t display the name. The name Tarleton is a unique brand and doesn’t need the state dragging behind it.
For the most part we do. Students and Alumni just call it "Tarleton". The athletic website is TarletonSports.com not TarletonStateSports

It is the Tarleton Athletics Hall of Fame
Tarleton Memorial Stadium

Football Jerseys say "Tarleton" or "Texans" - https://dbukjj6eu5tsf.cloudfront.net/tar...e_Pros.jpg

WBB says "Tarleton" - https://tarletonsports.com/images/2020/1...width=1600

Baseball- https://twitter.com/TarletonBase/status/...7559141376

Softball- https://tarletonsports.com/images/2020/1...width=1600

Tennis - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0Ke0eGXMAAS_3U.jpg

The only one that seems to hold onto the "Tarleton State" name is Men's Basketball. However, when you look at their Twitter - its "Tarleton MBB" https://twitter.com/tarletonmbb/

Everything says "Tarleton" not "Tarleton State". images on the website show players holding the basketball with the "Tarleton" brand open to the camera while "State" is cut off or covered.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2021 04:10 PM by chrisattsu.)
06-30-2021 04:09 PM
WAChsenburggemeinde Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Have fun & no injuries
Dixie State should be called Utah Poly. Utah Tech copies Utah Valley's old name and it is a corporate woke name. Poly does sound a little like polygamy but it honors something unique about the region after they just whitewashed out Dixie which is unique to the region and has nothing to do w/ slavery.
06-30-2021 06:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.