Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNOFFICIAL 2021/2 MBB Schedule Discussion Thread
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: UNOFFICIAL 2021/2 MBB Schedule Discussion Thread
(06-16-2021 05:04 AM)Miggy Wrote:  If Baylor and Gonzaga played in a 3 or 5 game series it’s fairly clear from Baylor beating Gonzaga by 16-points, 86-70, (by 10-points in the first half; 6-points in the second half) in the Bational Clamoonship game that Gonzaga would likely have beaten Baylor in any series.

As Baylor had 11 more offensive rebounds and committed 6 less turnovers than Gonzaga. Such resulted in Baylor taking 18 more fga’s than Gonzaga did. Not likely that Gonzaga HC Few could make any significant adjustments that would change those numbers.

Moreover, Gonzaga shot as well as it could in the Baylor game. Gonzaga had no chance to beat Baylor as Baylor’s guards were to quick to the hoop, were excellent three-point shooters, and better defenders of the three-ball.

Gonzaga is an excellent team, but not nearly as good as Baylor. For me, just watching the game and ignoring stats proved that.

Agree with your analysis as to why EMU should schedule good teams in non-conference play. .

I'm going to disagree with you, despite your detailed analysis.

I still maintain in sports esp. baseball and basketball, one game usually doesn't tell much. Sometimes not even three games.

Earlier this year the Detroit Tigers 'broomed' the New York Yankees. Does that mean that they are the better team? No. Why? the Yankees 'broomed' the Tigers by a combined scored of 18 - 4 earlier in the season.

I think the biggest mistake fans (or investors on Wall Street) make is to over analyze the obvious.

Look at the EMU series with WMU (BASEBALL). https://emueagles.com/sports/baseball/schedule What does one or two games tell me? Not much.

Getting back to hoops, this is why the NBA plays 7 game series. One game means little (actually 1/7th of what it proports to measure).
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021 06:16 AM by emu steve.)
06-16-2021 06:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
(06-16-2021 06:10 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 05:04 AM)Miggy Wrote:  If Baylor and Gonzaga played in a 3 or 5 game series it’s fairly clear from Baylor beating Gonzaga by 16-points, 86-70, (by 10-points in the first half; 6-points in the second half) in the Bational Clamoonship game that Gonzaga would likely have beaten Baylor in any series.

As Baylor had 11 more offensive rebounds and committed 6 less turnovers than Gonzaga. Such resulted in Baylor taking 18 more fga’s than Gonzaga did. Not likely that Gonzaga HC Few could make any significant adjustments that would change those numbers.

Moreover, Gonzaga shot as well as it could in the Baylor game. Gonzaga had no chance to beat Baylor as Baylor’s guards were to quick to the hoop, were excellent three-point shooters, and better defenders of the three-ball.

Gonzaga is an excellent team, but not nearly as good as Baylor. For me, just watching the game and ignoring stats proved that.

Agree with your analysis as to why EMU should schedule good teams in non-conference play. .

I'm going to disagree with you, despite your detailed analysis.

I still maintain in sports esp. baseball and basketball, one game usually doesn't tell much. Sometimes not even three games.

Earlier this year the Detroit Tigers 'broomed' the New York Yankees. Does that mean that they are the better team? No. Why? the Yankees 'broomed' the Tigers by a combined scored of 18 - 4 earlier in the season.

I think the biggest mistake fans (or investors on Wall Street) make is to over analyze the obvious.

Look at the EMU series with WMU (BASEBALL). https://emueagles.com/sports/baseball/schedule What does one or two games tell me? Not much.

Getting back to hoops, this is why the NBA plays 7 game series. One game means little (actually 1/7th of what it proports to measure).

Dead on Steve, Gonzaga might have beaten Baylor in a five or seven game series. Few would have made some adjustments to play an opponent heretofore that he had not encountered.

At the end of the day, however, NCAA MBB is a one and done proposition unlike the NBA. Gonzaga did not encounter a team with Baylor's guards until they reached the championship game. It was too late.

That is why you schedule OOC games aggressively!
06-16-2021 06:40 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

More data on what mid major OOC schedules look like a the revenue / expense factor.

https://d1docket.blogspot.com/2021/06/we...scape.html

To summarize, a lot of 60K+ games, 70K+ games, etc. all the way up to say 99K depending how 'generous' the host school is. Some host schools have more $ to spend than others (say HM offer more than MM).

So to extrapolate back to EMU. I'd guess we could (would have to) offer say 65K for a mid-major to visit and would ask for 75 - 99K for us to visit a high major school and less to visit a mid-major.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 09:18 AM by emu steve.)
06-18-2021 09:12 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
Believe EMU’s HC wants to schedule high-majors each season so that if EMU has a good record it may be invited to the NCAA tournament. He’s placing EMU in the position of being invited even if EMU does not win the MAC Tournament which is an automatic NCAA Tournament invite.

Playing high-majors also prepares EMU for MAC conference games, and helps recruitment. Money aspect probably of lesser concern.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2021 04:50 PM by Miggy.)
06-18-2021 11:17 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(06-18-2021 11:17 AM)Miggy Wrote:  Believe EMU’s HC wants to schedule high-majors each season so that if EMU has a good record it may be invited to the NCAA tournament. He’s placing EMU in the position of being invited even if EMU does win the MAC Tournament which is an automatic NCAA Tournament invite.

Playing high-majors also prepares EMU for MAC conference games, and helps recruitment. Money aspect probably of lesser concern.

To whom is the money aspect less of a concern the AD who gives the HC the budget or the HC who has to live within the AD's budget?
06-18-2021 12:20 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(06-18-2021 12:20 PM)emu79 Wrote:  [quote='Miggy' pid='17471494' dateline='1624033070']
Believe EMU’s HC wants to schedule high-majors each season so that if EMU has a good record it may be invited to the NCAA tournament. He’s placing EMU in the position of being invited even if EMU does win the MAC Tournament which is an automatic NCAA Tournament invite.

To whom is the money aspect less of a concern the AD who gives the HC the budget or the HC who has to live within the AD's budget?

Playing high-majors is more money.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021 02:01 PM by Miggy.)
06-18-2021 01:59 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(06-18-2021 01:59 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 12:20 PM)emu79 Wrote:  [quote='Miggy' pid='17471494' dateline='1624033070']
Believe EMU’s HC wants to schedule high-majors each season so that if EMU has a good record it may be invited to the NCAA tournament. He’s placing EMU in the position of being invited even if EMU does win the MAC Tournament which is an automatic NCAA Tournament invite.

NOT much.

If you look at what I posted, a mid-major may give EMU 65k for a road game guarantee. A HM may give say 90k.

There is a very distinct pattern in what MM pay MM and what HM pay MM.

Would the HC rather play a MM and get 65K and possibly win VS. 90K and a near certain loss?
06-18-2021 02:16 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(06-18-2021 02:16 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(06-18-2021 01:59 PM)Miggy Wrote:  

NOT much.

If you look at what I posted, a mid-major may give EMU 65k for a road game guarantee. A HM may give say 90k.

There is a very distinct pattern in what MM pay MM and what HM pay MM.

Would the HC rather play a MM and get 65K and possibly win VS. 90K and a near certain loss?

Yes, For EMU to be competitive in the MAC and attract good recruits next cycle, EMU must think long-term. Playing a high Div. 1 opponent and losing by less than 10-points, doesn’t mean EMU are losses. If EMU upsets one high-major on strengthens the bb program. Heath’s intent is to put EMU men’s bb on the bb map. What he’s doing is consistent with that. Glad he’s not a shrinking violet.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 07:15 AM by Miggy.)
06-18-2021 02:24 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

07-11-2021 08:46 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

So far we have been playing Valpo under Murphy N Kentucky isn't D1 I believe similar when we play Depaul W Illinois isnt a huge upgrade over other D1 teams we played under Murphy Depaul is a nice addition
07-11-2021 01:23 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
N Kentucky plays in the Horizon and has been D1 for a while. They won 20+ games the previous 4 pre-COVID seasons and have been a top 100 team and gone to the tourney over that time. Their arena is about the same size as the convo. They play EMU as part the Depaul MTE so it will be played at whichever school wants to pay for the home game.
07-11-2021 05:24 PM
KPJ Online
1st String

Northern Kentucky is a really solid Horizon League team.
07-11-2021 06:34 PM
KPJ Online
1st String

I still think a MAC vs Horizon league showcase in Detroit or Cleveland would be great.
07-11-2021 06:36 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-11-2021 05:24 PM)pono Wrote:  N Kentucky plays in the Horizon and has been D1 for a while. They won 20+ games the previous 4 pre-COVID seasons and have been a top 100 team and gone to the tourney over that time. Their arena is about the same size as the convo. They play EMU as part the Depaul MTE so it will be played at whichever school wants to pay for the home game.

Thanks. I am just wondering how many non D1 games EMU will be playing?
07-11-2021 06:51 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

How many Big Ten teams will EMU play?
07-11-2021 07:17 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-11-2021 07:17 PM)Miggy Wrote:  How many Big Ten teams will EMU play?

As many as the EMU football team does.
07-11-2021 10:06 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(07-11-2021 06:34 PM)KPJ Wrote:  Northern Kentucky is a really solid Horizon League team.

Yeah, don't underrate those 'directional' schools. 03-lmfao
07-11-2021 10:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

By the way under Murphy I can't remember a year where we played two B10 teams in a single year. I don't have any reasons why that was. In most recent years that one game has been at MSU. Given Heath and Izzo's relationship I wonder if we once again end up on MSU's schedule.
07-12-2021 03:39 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

EMU has been practicing 6-days per week. Nice that Randle is now in the fold. Still not clear if any freshman player will red-shirt.

With Luka S., Binelli (hope he’s fully healthy), and Okongo not joining the team till next semester, that’s when EMU’s internal competition should heat-up, and team will have more time to get to gel. Might take some time sort out some starters and rotation.

Believe EMU may still have option to add two transfers or freshmen recruits, as Binelli, Okongo, and Spottsville, don’t count against the 13-scholarship players allowed to be on the roster.

Posted under wrong thread.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 02:41 PM by Miggy.)
07-25-2021 07:30 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Borrowing from the Toledo board. But what EMU fans have complained about is not the AWAY schedule but the HOME schedule littered with essentially what used to be D3 schools. Essentially it looks like MAC basketball is dialing for dollars by playing body bag games on the road. And while the entire MAC has beefed up its talent pool and its good for exposure I wonder how many games the teams will actually win.

no new UT news but the MAC, and especially the new coaches, are really scheduling up. Barbee and CMU just added a neutral court game with Gonzaga and will play Depaul, the Zags and Xavier in the first 3 weeks of the season with more games still to schedule. NIU is either in need of cash or trying to make a statement. Burno has already scheduled games at Washington and Indiana to open the year with games at Marquette and Dayton in the first month. Buffalo just added an opening game at Michigan and a road trip to local rival and NCAA team St Bonaventure. I guess itʻs mostly the covid revenue loss hangover, but for all the MAC fans who complain about some teams packing the non-conf with weaklings this year is your redemption. MAC teams are hitting the road and playing power conference and name teams en masse. Hopefully, we can breakthrough with enough wins to break the 1 bid drought. The opportunity will be there.
07-29-2021 04:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.