Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball 21-22
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
RE: Basketball 21-22
I think all programs are more or less in the same boat, to one extent or another. Coaches will sink or swim, depending on how well they are able to adjust to the new reality and piece together a competitive squad each season with lots of new bodies. In the portal, there are lot more 2-star players than 3 and above combined. For the mid-majors it will mostly be replacing 2-star players with new ones. I'm confident that Senderoff can handle that task reasonably well.
06-13-2021 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Kent State is about to get hit with a discrimination lawsuit against them....for only hiring Kent State grads lol

Kevin Zabo is back as a GA joining Julian Sullinger, Randal Holt, and Jon Fleming as coaches that were former players.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2021 06:35 AM by thanksjim.)
06-14-2021 11:42 PM
GoKsuFlashes! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: kent state
took a walk around campus today (in town for a few days.) of course, I'm gonna stop-by memorial gym :) as luck would have it, bumped into coach Jon Fleming. He invited into the office :) super nice guy! I asked about out of conference schedule. said they've added Xavier :)

happy father's day everyone! go flashes! 04-rock04-rock

PS The campus looks great! :)
PS staying the KSU hotel (2nd time staying there.) love it!
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2021 09:45 PM by GoKsuFlashes!.)
06-20-2021 09:44 PM
Albert Flasher Online
2nd String

The '21-'22 roster is now posted on the KSU website. Have a full complement of 15 players. Will now be interesting to predict who will redshirt for the season.

#GoFlashes
06-21-2021 01:35 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(06-12-2021 09:26 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 09:22 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 02:34 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 06:52 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  There seems to be more positive vibes around this team than we've had for a few years. On paper this has to be our most experienced and talented roster in a while. We'll have 2 guys that were at least rotation players in the A10 (Johnson and Carry), one in the Atlantic (Hamilton), one from the Mountain West (Beck), one from the SEC (Garcia), and another non rotation player from the SEC (Odusipe).

I think it's safe to say that the loosening of transfer rules over the past few years has worked to our advantage so far. I feel like we have a coach that is very capable of adjusting to the new world and finding ways to make turn it into a positive for us.

Not to be a Debbie-downer but a 'rotational' player in all those conferences still equate to a MAC player at Kent. Rather have them than not, but while Beck and JHam in particular are vgood pieces, neither looks to be a 1st or 2nd team All-MAC player.

We'll see how the rest turn out.

The one clear POSITIVE is this team should have some experienced and talented depth that most MAC teams will clearly lack. If there is a home run player (Nuga???) in the bunch then Kent jumps from being a solid MAC threat to a true top contender.

Let's not forget, other MAC teams have been bringing in transfers, too.

If you notice I said they were "at least rotation players" at their previous school. I don't think anyone would consider Carry just a rotation player and Garcia and Beck have both proven to be capable of being pretty good mid major players.

As for the rest, every year we have several transfers in (usually from JUCOs) and on paper we think they seem like guys who could crack the rotation. Then every year one or two don't. The point I'm making is this year we won't have the same question marks about who belongs at the D1 level, because not of the team has already proven they do.

I think we're saying basically the same thing ... just different ways.

ASU men's basketball adds Toledo transfer Marreon Jackson, He was
MAC player of year I believe and put up
31 vs Kent one of the games. So big loss for them.
Bigger than us losing Nuga
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 03:28 PM by Older and Older.)
06-21-2021 03:27 PM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(06-12-2021 06:52 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  There seems to be more positive vibes around this team than we've had for a few years. On paper this has to be our most experienced and talented roster in a while. We'll have 2 guys that were at least rotation players in the A10 (Johnson and Carry), one in the Atlantic (Hamilton), one from the Mountain West (Beck), one from the SEC (Garcia), and another non rotation player from the SEC (Odusipe).

I think it's safe to say that the loosening of transfer rules over the past few years has worked to our advantage so far. I feel like we have a coach that is very capable of adjusting to the new world and finding ways to make turn it into a positive for us.

Not to be a Debbie-downer but a 'rotational' player in all those conferences still equate to a MAC player at Kent. Rather have them than not, but while Beck and JHam in particular are vgood pieces, neither looks to be a 1st or 2nd team All-MAC player.

The one clear POSITIVE is this team should have some experienced and talented depth that most MAC teams will clearly lack. If there is a home run player (Nuga???) in the bunch then Kent jumps from being a solid MAC threat to a true top contender.

If you notice I said they were "at least rotation players" at their previous school. I don't think anyone would consider Carry just a rotation player and Garcia and Beck have both proven to be capable of being pretty good mid major players.

As for the rest, every year we have several transfers in (usually from JUCOs) and on paper we think they seem like guys who could crack the rotation. Then every year one or two don't. The point I'm making is this year we won't have the same question marks about who belongs at the D1 level, because not of the team has already proven they do.

06-21-2021 04:20 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(06-21-2021 01:35 PM)Albert Flasher Wrote:  The '21-'22 roster is now posted on the KSU website. Have a full complement of 15 players. Will now be interesting to predict who will redshirt for the season.

#GoFlashes

I see Johnson is listed as a redshirt senior ... I thought he had 2 years? Doesn't he get to repeat his jr year (much like Jacobs). ... Now I see that Jacobs and Carry are both listed as seniors, too. Do these guys get the extra year or not???
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 05:24 PM by cleveland.)
06-21-2021 05:21 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Albert Flasher, I think red shirts are a thing of the past.

Cleveland, I'm pretty certain that everyone got an extra year of eligibility. I wouldn't put too much stock in what their class year is shown as on the roster.

What happened to Toledo will happen a lot now to mid-majors since everyone gets one "free pass".

I'm curious about James Jordan. To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't picked a new school. Under the special COVID-19 rules, KSU can keep him and have an another extra player on their roster. I wonder if Senderoff would allow him to stay, assuming Jordan would want to, or if they could even budget an extra scholarship?
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 06:21 PM by Muskrat.)
06-21-2021 06:12 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(06-21-2021 06:12 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Albert Flasher, I think red shirts are a thing of the past.

Cleveland, I'm pretty certain that everyone got an extra year of eligibility. I wouldn't put too much stock in what their class year is shown as on the roster.

What happened to Toledo will happen a lot now to mid-majors since everyone gets one "free pass".

I'm curious about James Jordan. To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't picked a new school. Under the special COVID-19 rules, KSU can keep him and have an another extra player on their roster. I wonder if Senderoff would allow him to stay, assuming Jordan would want to, or if they could even budget an extra scholarship?

Thanks ... that makes sense.

As for the extra roster spot, not sure Jordan fits with this bunch. At best he's the 5th guard behind GIO, Carry, Jacobs and Hernandez trying to fight off a pair of freshmen (Sullinger and Rollins). And While Garcia is listed as a guard, he seems more of a baseline guy to me. If not, that's another guy Jordan has to leapfrog for minutes.

I would find a way to take major advantage of the roster spot another way. Either find an 'elite' player who would take Kent to the OU/Buffalo level or higher this year ... or (my No. 1) ... find an elite player that has to sit for a year who can easily plug in for 2022-2023. Why next year? Because no matter how talented Kent might be this year, KSU would still most likely lag behind both in the 'chemistry' department. Intangible, yes, but key.

Considering the Kent backcourt collectively seems to be at least Top 3 caliber in the MAC this year and next chemistry would be no problem. This 'elite' guy would preferable be a baseline guy. Personally not particular, I'd take a stretch 4 or a quality post, as long as they were capable of lifting Kent to the top of the heap.

Since this team will likely spend much of the season getting the right chemistry, having a player in place and ready to plug in for JHam/Garcia/Beck next season would be a major plus.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2021 08:48 PM by cleveland.)
06-21-2021 08:34 PM
anti-zip Online
All American

I Root For: kent state!
I wouldn't focus much on the classes. My guess is they all automatically increment when the next year's roster is created. Pretty much every college's site is hosted by Sidearm sports so I imagine you can import players profiles from a different school without any manual data entry. With budget cuts my bet is whoever is in charge of updating the website has 100 other hats and no time to actually audit the roster (at least not 4 months before the season starts). So all the transfers were imported from their old school and their classes just auto-incremented and no one's looked at them yet.

I'd be shocked if Sidearm didn't have the ability for one school to import from another school's roster particularly in the transfer heavy era we're in. And if you don't believe me go check out Carry's profile from last year on Duquesne's Site vs ours. It's word for word the same. So unless our website manager copy/pasted from their site it was imported.
06-21-2021 09:49 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-21-2021 04:20 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  

Marreon Jackson graduated from Toledo as a senior last year. His plan was to go to the NBA but was not projected to get drafted and changed his mind to use the extra year at a power league to try and prove something to the scouts. Left Toledo on good terms as the staff wanted to build the team around Rian Rollins (MAC FOY) anyway, who should be better than Jackson eventually. Meanwhile, Jackson leaving gave UT room to add RayJ Dennis as a transfer. He was the starting pg at Boise St last year and is a high level pg with 3 years left who should complement Rollins well. On a side note, Toledo's other graduating senior Spencer Littleson has been generating some NBA buzz as a possible 2nd round pick.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2021 02:48 PM by pono.)
06-23-2021 02:48 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(06-23-2021 02:48 PM)pono Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 02:34 PM)cleveland Wrote:  Not to be a Debbie-downer but a 'rotational' player in all those conferences still equate to a MAC player at Kent. Rather have them than not, but while Beck and JHam in particular are vgood pieces, neither looks to be a 1st or 2nd team All-MAC player.

Marreon Jackson graduated from Toledo as a senior last year. His plan was to go to the NBA but was not projected to get drafted and changed his mind to use the extra year at a power league to try and prove something to the scouts. Left Toledo on good terms as the staff wanted to build the team around Rian Rollins (MAC FOY) anyway, who should be better than Jackson eventually. Meanwhile, Jackson leaving gave UT room to add RayJ Dennis as a transfer. He was the starting pg at Boise St last year and is a high level pg with 3 years left who should complement Rollins well. On a side note, Toledo's other graduating senior Spencer Littleson has been generating some NBA buzz as a possible 2nd round pick.

All of this makes sense to me ... what doesn't make sense, especially for these seniors who got the extra 'Covid Year' is why these guys jump to the power leagues hoping to improve their stock, when going to the G-League and getting paid seems to be the best way to kill two birds (getting paid, improving stock) with one stone.
06-23-2021 04:35 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-23-2021 04:35 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 09:22 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  If you notice I said they were "at least rotation players" at their previous school. I don't think anyone would consider Carry just a rotation player and Garcia and Beck have both proven to be capable of being pretty good mid major players.

All of this makes sense to me ... what doesn't make sense, especially for these seniors who got the extra 'Covid Year' is why these guys jump to the power leagues hoping to improve their stock, when going to the G-League and getting paid seems to be the best way to kill two birds (getting paid, improving stock) with one stone.

Playing in front of 10,000 fans at Arizona St with trips to all the big PAC12 arenas, plus new college girls, and a couple interesting classes thrown in seems a lot better than fighting for bench minutes on the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
06-25-2021 03:41 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-25-2021 03:41 AM)pono Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 09:26 PM)cleveland Wrote:  I think we're saying basically the same thing ... just different ways.

Playing in front of 10,000 fans at Arizona St with trips to all the big PAC12 arenas, plus new college girls, and a couple interesting classes thrown in seems a lot better than fighting for bench minutes on the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

What you said is true but it says basketball is far from his only incentive. Kind of reminds me of the person who won’t take a new job because their spouse doesn’t want to move. Could be true but just as likely a convenient excuse.
06-25-2021 05:44 AM
Older and Older Offline
Special Teams

(06-25-2021 05:44 AM)burden Wrote:  
(06-21-2021 04:20 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  ASU men's basketball adds Toledo transfer Marreon Jackson, He was

What you said is true but it says basketball is far from his only incentive. Kind of reminds me of the person who won’t take a new job because their spouse doesn’t want to move. Could be true but just as likely a convenient excuse.

You had me at “Interesting Classes”. And don’t forget ASU
in winter infinitely better than Fort Wayne anytime of the year .
06-25-2021 08:03 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-25-2021 08:03 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(06-23-2021 02:48 PM)pono Wrote:  Marreon Jackson graduated from Toledo as a senior last year. His plan was to go to the NBA but was not projected to get drafted and changed his mind to use the extra year at a power league to try and prove something to the scouts. Left Toledo on good terms as the staff wanted to build the team around Rian Rollins (MAC FOY) anyway, who should be better than Jackson eventually. Meanwhile, Jackson leaving gave UT room to add RayJ Dennis as a transfer. He was the starting pg at Boise St last year and is a high level pg with 3 years left who should complement Rollins well. On a side note, Toledo's other graduating senior Spencer Littleson has been generating some NBA buzz as a possible 2nd round pick.

I beg to differ! Fort Wayne in June is actually, occasionally, mildly pleasant. Tempe in June is an unbearable hellscape, unless, of course, you enjoy daily highs of 115°. Or if you don’t go outside in either place, it doesn’t really matter, in which case, yeah, go to Tempe.
06-26-2021 07:55 AM
GoKsuFlashes! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: kent state
Any news on the schedule?

Any news about how the new players look in the informal workouts?

it was soooooooooooo awesome being back on campus 2 weeks ago 04-cheers

had a cold brew with my 2 brothers on rooftop of water street tavern :)
07-01-2021 03:52 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(06-26-2021 07:55 AM)axeme Wrote:  
(06-25-2021 08:03 PM)Older and Older Wrote:  
(06-23-2021 04:35 PM)cleveland Wrote:  All of this makes sense to me ... what doesn't make sense, especially for these seniors who got the extra 'Covid Year' is why these guys jump to the power leagues hoping to improve their stock, when going to the G-League and getting paid seems to be the best way to kill two birds (getting paid, improving stock) with one stone.

I beg to differ! Fort Wayne in June is actually, occasionally, mildly pleasant. Tempe in June is an unbearable hellscape, unless, of course, you enjoy daily highs of 115°. Or if you don’t go outside in either place, it doesn’t really matter, in which case, yeah, go to Tempe.

It's a dry heat.
07-02-2021 09:03 PM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
(07-01-2021 03:52 PM)GoKsuFlashes! Wrote:  Any news on the schedule?

D1 Docket shows 3 games announced for Kent so far.

11/12 @ Xavier
12/5 vs. Towson
12/12 @ West Virginia

https://d1docket.blogspot.com/p/2021-22-...ckets.html
07-03-2021 08:44 AM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
We are playing in a tourney in Naples, FL in November. The teams slated to be there are:

KSU
Missouri St.
George Washington
Wright St.
Long Beach St.
James Madison
East Tenn St.
1 unknown team
07-03-2021 10:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.