Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Football preview
(08-14-2021 08:44 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(08-14-2021 08:15 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:27 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:17 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 08:54 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  What I'm hearing is that with a full off-season of non-restricted workouts and lifting, guys are stronger and quicker and that is showing in drills and in the full-pad practices they have had. Granted it's still early, but my source plays directly across from that D-line, and he says he can tell a difference from last season. 02-13-banana

I'm now at the stage (one week into fall practice) where press releases and bios mean little, I'd rather have a fly on the wall in CC's office or something like this...

No one knows this stuff better than coaches and players. Sounds good.

Yep. Thankfully three weeks from today is gameday (!!!) meaning we should get a depth chart in less than three weeks which should gives some some actual insight.

Speaking of depth chart, they did have one in the media guide. This obviously doesn't take into account fall practice, so when we get a week one depth chart that should show who has been improving. I don't think I can post a picture but you can find the media guide on the official EMU site. Here it is:

X: Knue-Dennis Smith
Z: Dummond-Small
H: Beydoun-I'Shawn Stewart
Y: Odukoya-Cannon
LT: Johnson-Kadri
LG: Sow-Douglas
C: Van Hoeven
RG: Donnellon-Howie
RT: Dooley-McAdams
QB: Hutchinson-Bryant
RB: Boone-Evans

END: Rush-Haney
NOSE: Scott-Michael Smith Jr.
DT: Merritt-Crawford
BULL: Ramirez-Stagner
MIKE: Speights-Jefferson
WILL: Myrick-Cameron
CB: Watson-McGee
CB: Shine-McNeal
DOG: LaFleur-Peavy
FREE: Vaden-Lee
ROVER: Bogan-Nowling

P: Julian-Heston or Ochsendorf or Tomasek
PK: Ryland-Luther or Gomez
LS: Bird-Zoglio or Scheidt
KO: Ryland or Julian or Gomez
KR: Beydoun or Drummond or Lee or Hamilton
PR: Drummond or Beydoun or McNeal or Hamilton
HOLDER: Julian-Heston or Ochsendorf

I'm not sure this is completely accurate. I asked Alex about this listing him at RG and Douglas at LG (Alex has been at LG each year) and he was surprised at that. He said that he has still been drilling at LG, and Dimitri has been drilling at RG. Even through this past week. So neither is getting reps at the position the media guide lists. My thought is someone was filling in the blanks on a position chart template and inadvertently switched them. This is probably 99% accurate, but not 100%.

Interesting, I thought I had remembered him being listed LG in the past but couldn't remember. I'm sure you are right and it was simply a typo.

Some other things that came to mind for me:

-Surprised not to see Korey Hernandez in the two-deep, he's played a lot the past few seasons.

-No Jarrett Paul (Rutgers transfer) on the two-deep.

-Thought we might see Huddleston on the two-deep, he seemed to get a lot of love from the scout team last year as a true-freshmen.

-Overall, the offense is about what you'd think it would be.
08-14-2021 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(08-14-2021 09:03 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:27 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:17 PM)emu steve Wrote:  I'm now at the stage (one week into fall practice) where press releases and bios mean little, I'd rather have a fly on the wall in CC's office or something like this...

No one knows this stuff better than coaches and players. Sounds good.

Yep. Thankfully three weeks from today is gameday (!!!) meaning we should get a depth chart in less than three weeks which should gives some some actual insight.

Speaking of depth chart, they did have one in the media guide. This obviously doesn't take into account fall practice, so when we get a week one depth chart that should show who has been improving. I don't think I can post a picture but you can find the media guide on the official EMU site. Here it is:

I'm not sure this is completely accurate. I asked Alex about this listing him at RG and Douglas at LG (Alex has been at LG each year) and he was surprised at that. He said that he has still been drilling at LG, and Dimitri has been drilling at RG. Even through this past week. So neither is getting reps at the position the media guide lists. My thought is someone was filling in the blanks on a position chart template and inadvertently switched them. This is probably 99% accurate, but not 100%.

Interesting, I thought I had remembered him being listed LG in the past but couldn't remember. I'm sure you are right and it was simply a typo.

-Surprised not to see Korey Hernandez in the two-deep, he's played a lot the past few seasons.

-Thought we might see Huddleston on the two-deep, he seemed to get a lot of love from the scout team last year as a true-freshmen.

You bring up a good point in general regarding transfers. Through Spring Ball and the spring scrimmage, the guys who were here were still learning the system. And some have arrived since Spring Ball, so there was no real sense of how they'll fit in. From what I'm hearing, in general, the transfers are impressing in Fall Camp.

Today is the first fall scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how they work out when the pads crack. I'm guessing that the first-week depth chart is going to have some noticeable differences when compared to this one that was put out for the MAC media day.
08-14-2021 10:01 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-14-2021 10:01 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:27 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Yep. Thankfully three weeks from today is gameday (!!!) meaning we should get a depth chart in less than three weeks which should gives some some actual insight.

You bring up a good point in general regarding transfers. Through Spring Ball and the spring scrimmage, the guys who were here were still learning the system. And some have arrived since Spring Ball, so there was no real sense of how they'll fit in. From what I'm hearing, in general, the transfers are impressing in Fall Camp.

Today is the first fall scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how they work out when the pads crack. I'm guessing that the first-week depth chart is going to have some noticeable differences when compared to this one that was put out for the MAC media day.

Well stated. 04-cheers

Talking about transfers/frosh before fall ball is almost complete speculation, i.e., reading press clippings.

We have now passed from the 'projection' stage to the 'assessment' stage. Staff will know who is faster (or slower), stronger (or weaker), etc. than what the scouting said. Scouting G5 talent isn't easy. Not going to be scouting players who run < 4.4. Someone who was supposedly 4.5 which might be fast enough might be really 4.6 and lack quickness for a deep threat WR.

Your statements about the transfers is the best info I've read on the 2021 recruits.

If those transfers can play, we have a very good football team. We had good talent and this is the icing on the cake.
08-14-2021 11:08 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

(08-14-2021 10:01 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(08-13-2021 12:27 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  Yep. Thankfully three weeks from today is gameday (!!!) meaning we should get a depth chart in less than three weeks which should gives some some actual insight.

That is why I was somewhat surprised about Paul, I thought he was one of the transfers who had been on campus for awhile. With the other "big time" transfers like Smith, Stewart and Hamilton being on there I figured he would be as well considering how much he played at Rutgers...not that the media guide depth chart means much.

On second thought...given the fact we know how much better of a team Eastern is than Rutgers I guess I shouldn't be surprised a guy from their program couldn't just jump into the two-deep here 03-wink
08-14-2021 02:59 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

It would be interesting to hear cidbearit’s analysis on the scrimmage this past Saturday…..

Here is a recap video, plus see the links for interviews for Coach Creighton and Coach Neathery:

https://emueagles.com/news/2021/8/14/foo...mmage.aspx

I wanted to share some player interviews off the Eagles website.
Brian Dooley, Mikey Haney, Manior, and Hrant Trueman:

https://emueagles.com/news/2021/8/13/fol...day-8.aspx
08-15-2021 06:21 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

(08-15-2021 06:21 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  It would be interesting to hear cidbearit’s analysis on the scrimmage this past Saturday…..

Here is a recap video, plus see the links for interviews for Coach Creighton and Coach Neathery:

https://emueagles.com/news/2021/8/14/foo...mmage.aspx

I wanted to share some player interviews off the Eagles website.
Brian Dooley, Mikey Haney, Manior, and Hrant Trueman:

https://emueagles.com/news/2021/8/13/fol...day-8.aspx

I don't have much specific detail on the scrimmage. What I do understand is that the run game is looking really good, and the defense is solid and did generate some legit take-aways. How will that translate to actual gamedays? Your guess is as good as mine.

Similar to NFL preseasons games, Fall Camp scrimmages see a lot of players rotating in and out, many of whom won't likely see much playtime during the regular season. The first few scrimmages are an opportunity for coaches to assess how players are developing across the board as much as they are to prep for the regular season. Both sides of the ball performed well (I wasn't there, so this is not a personal observation). Generally, I get the sense that this year overall will be much improved compared to last year's 2-4 season.

One nugget I got was that special teams receiving could be something to watch this year.
08-16-2021 12:12 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

CBS sports put out their first bowl projections. They have us in the Cure Bowl playing Western Kentucky.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...edictions/
08-20-2021 09:59 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Football preview
I tried to find some info on St. Francis but it's difficult. Less media coverage than EMU (didn't know that was possible) and slim pickins on their website.

They didn't play last year and were 6-6 in 2019. They did lose in OT to Central Connecticut in 2019. That's the same team that should've beat EMU.

Should be a good opener for EMU and I expect a nice win.

2 more weeks!
08-20-2021 10:19 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-20-2021 10:19 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  I tried to find some info on St. Francis but it's difficult. Less media coverage than EMU (didn't know that was possible) and slim pickins on their website.

They didn't play last year and were 6-6 in 2019. They did lose in OT to Central Connecticut in 2019. That's the same team that should've beat EMU.

Should be a good opener for EMU and I expect a nice win.

2 more weeks!

https://sfuathletics.com/news/2021/8/3/f...ction.aspx

"The Red Flash took the fifth spot in the NEC Preseason Coaches Poll. Sacred Heart was picked to finish first. The Pioneers won the NEC Championship in April beating Duquesne in overtime. The Dukes are ranked second in the poll."
08-20-2021 10:37 AM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

(08-20-2021 09:59 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  CBS sports put out their first bowl projections. They have us in the Cure Bowl playing Western Kentucky.

It's nice to see these preseason projections showing a little respect for Eastern. Although I'm not buying tickets to Orlando yet.
08-20-2021 10:50 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(08-20-2021 10:50 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 09:59 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  CBS sports put out their first bowl projections. They have us in the Cure Bowl playing Western Kentucky.

It's nice to see these preseason projections showing a little respect for Eastern. Although I'm not buying tickets to Orlando yet.

Maybe they will change the name fro the ,Cure Bowl to the Covid Bowl.
08-20-2021 01:55 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

ESPN did their bowl projections. They actually have two guys do them; one has us in the New Mexico Bowl on December 18th playing Wyoming, the other guy doesn't have us in a bowl.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ng-playoff
08-26-2021 02:09 PM
dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(08-26-2021 02:09 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  ESPN did their bowl projections. They actually have two guys do them; one has us in the New Mexico Bowl on December 18th playing Wyoming, the other guy doesn't have us in a bowl.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ng-playoff

I'd take the New Mexico Bowl. Just get in and win one. Build some momentum.
08-26-2021 02:14 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Football preview
Mask policy:
- Face masks will not be required but are strongly encouraged in outdoor public spaces (entry gates, concourse, seating bowl, etc.).
- Fans are required to wear a face covering when inside restrooms or the Convocation Center, regardless of vaccination status.
08-26-2021 04:30 PM
dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(08-26-2021 04:30 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Mask policy:
- Face masks will not be required but are strongly encouraged in outdoor public spaces (entry gates, concourse, seating bowl, etc.).
- Fans are required to wear a face covering when inside restrooms or the Convocation Center, regardless of vaccination status.

And if you've ever smelled a restroom at the convo you realize you're doing yourself a favor HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But seriously this is a very common sense policy and im happy the school announced it.
08-27-2021 06:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.