Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

21-22 basketball.
Bookmark and Share
NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
21-22 basketball.
Where will we be picked to finish next year? Six weeks ago I would have been worried with Tyson leaving and Shaq in the portal but with Shaq pulling himself out of the portal and the transfer additions I think we're at the top or very near.

Replacing Tyson's points will not be a problem. In Tyreek (9.3ppg) we get a starter from a top team in a better conference. Pridgen 12ppg) is a proven scorer against CAA defense. Djogo (5ppg) against ACC competition should score more in our conference. Plus, with Doherty starting and E getting backup minutes his points have to improve.

This assumes Doherty's injury problems are behind us and that we don't lose one of our better guys to the portal. If one of the low minute guys decide to transfer that would probably just mean that we get another promising newcomer.
05-12-2021 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northeastern
RE: 21-22 basketball.
I was thinking about this over the past few weeks. You almost need a new set of rosters between departures, additions and players that have an extra year but don’t know if they will use it. My gut tells me we are right there. Some quick thoughts on the other teams and you guys can fill in some blanks I may be missing or where my pecking order, which is admittedly huge guesswork, is off

Upper Tier:
• NU: I think we did really well in the portal (at least as of today) both in terms of who we got and only losing one rotation player (knock on wood). We are deep, athletic, and have multiple options which will help us withstand injuries. We will have to hope Chris stays healthy and see how the point guard position shakes out but we are going to be tough for sure. And by month 5 (March), Coen will have them much better than month 1 I’m confident
• Elon: They will be very good I’d think. I know they lost Ndugba, the guard from Bryant who gave Tyson and others all sorts of trouble. They will also get a few guys back from injury and added a Missouri player who was a 4 star recruit
• JMU: I know they lost Lewis and Christmas at least but they were pretty athletic and scrappy. The article I linked at the bottom is very high on them

Next:
• Charleston: Tough to judge as they lost a ton (including Tucker and Galloway) when Grant went to BC but the new coach seems to have done a good job backfilling, at least according to that article. The new coach is from Winthrop and was a very good recruiter there
• Hofstra: Changed the coaching staff and lost Kante and (guessing) Jalen Ray

Unknown:
• Drexel: I haven’t heard about who they’ve added but I know Wynter and Bickerstaff are gone. Probably Butler as well so those are 3 big losses
• Delaware: I need to study who they have coming back. Allen, Anderson, Painter, and Ochefu (the main guys) were all seniors I know

Longer Way to Go:
• UNCW: They lost a lot and didn’t have much to begin with so that’s a good news/bad news situation. They did lose a lot of player-games to injury I know
• Towson: They are always a team that changes even in “normal” years
• W&M: They had a lot of holes to fill but have Kochera, who was the highly regarded freshman

http://makingthemadness.com/which-mid-ma...er-portal/
05-13-2021 03:37 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

[quote='NUFan35' pid='17423286' dateline='1620938227']

I think we did really well in the portal (at least as of today)

True. And maybe it's too early to predict how good we'll be until we know for sure who will be on the team.

When McClintock verballed we went one over the limit and my first thought because it happened so soon after Tyreek's verbal was that someone had poached Tyreek. I hope that's not the case but if it isn't then someone else is leaving.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2021 09:17 PM by NUGUY.)
05-13-2021 09:16 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Hmmmmm.........could Tareek be a second "bonus year" player? (Like Djogo) I didn't realize that he played at a JUCO .......State Fair Community College before UAB. If he used up one year of eligibility at SFCC and three at UAB then normally he would be done. If that is what's happening then we're not over the limit.
05-19-2021 04:02 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

Yes, he and Djogo are in the same situation. So the bonus year doesn't count against the 13? I didn't realize that but that would make the math work and allow us to keep all 15 (or replace if someone below leaves).

Do I have the remaining years of eligibility for each player correct below? Note that in my numbers below I am assuming no one is using the bonus year last year (other than Djogo and TSG). So for example, I have Shaq finishing this year.

G Tyreek Scott-Grayson (1)
G Shaq Walters (1)
F Jason Strong (1)
G Nikola Djogo (1)
C Greg Eboigbodin (1)

G Vito Cubrilo(2)
G Querin Emanga (2)
G Joe Pridgen (2)
F Chris Doherty (2)

PG Glen McClintock (3)
F Jahmyl Telfort (3)
F Coleman Stucke (3)
F Alex Nwagha (3)
C Connor Braun (3 - possible redshirt?)

G To Randriasalama (4)
05-19-2021 04:39 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Yes, when Covid hit the NCAA gave players an extra year. The seniors who decided to play an extra year couldn't count against the thirteen limit because some schools wouldn't have room for their incoming freshmen.

So, this is a possible answer. I'm a little surprised that we would fund two extra scholarships but in the past Coen has held onto a scholarship hoping for a late quality pickup and not used it. This happened last year when we went with only twelve scholarship players. Maybe Coen made the argument that it was payback time.

We'll know more in the coming weeks as we wait for paperwork to go through for Tyreek and Glen.

PS. Your numbers look right but Braun has already redshirted once already.
05-19-2021 09:34 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

Braun redshirted in 2019-20.
05-19-2021 09:49 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

35....... I see what you're thinking about Braun redshirting, though. We have a logjam at the 4/5 spots for this year. I could see them pitching a redshirt year to Nwagha. At least if the injury bug hits us again we're in better shape than the last few years.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021 10:55 PM by NUGUY.)
05-19-2021 10:52 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(05-19-2021 10:52 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  35....... I see what you're thinking about Braun redshirting, though. We have a logjam at the 4/5 spots for this year. I could see them pitching a redshirt year to Nwagha. At least if the injury bug hits us again we're in better shape than the last few years.

I can't see them redshirting Nwagha. He'll be more ready to contribute this season.

Maybe Randriasalama, not Nwagha.
05-19-2021 11:07 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

Hard to tell. Is Nwagha four or a five? If he's a five he's behind E and Doherty like last year. If he's a four he's behind Telfort and Pridgen. Going into the season we have three ballhandlers.....To and Glen are two point guards. Walters has filled in at the point. Do we want to be down to a point guard and a fill in if To is redshirted?
05-19-2021 11:40 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

TSG signed his paperwork today it looks like
05-20-2021 03:36 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

(05-20-2021 03:36 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  TSG signed his paperwork today it looks like

Yep. One more to go.
05-20-2021 05:30 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(05-19-2021 11:40 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Hard to tell. Is Nwagha four or a five? If he's a five he's behind E and Doherty like last year. If he's a four he's behind Telfort and Pridgen. Going into the season we have three ballhandlers.....To and Glen are two point guards. Walters has filled in at the point. Do we want to be down to a point guard and a fill in if To is redshirted?

Nwagha isn't going to basically sit out another season to redshirt. He'll transfer if that's the case.

He's not Braun athletically or talent-wise.

And who said Pridgen is a four? This roster has no set positions with the exception of Doherty and McClintock. Even Telfort is listed as a guard on the roster.

Position-less basketball is what it is today.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021 09:11 PM by geewizNU.)
05-20-2021 09:08 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(05-20-2021 09:08 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  
(05-19-2021 11:40 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  Hard to tell. Is Nwagha four or a five? If he's a five he's behind E and Doherty like last year. If he's a four he's behind Telfort and Pridgen. Going into the season we have three ballhandlers.....To and Glen are two point guards. Walters has filled in at the point. Do we want to be down to a point guard and a fill in if To is redshirted?

Nwagha isn't going to basically sit out another season to redshirt. He'll transfer if that's the case.

He's not Braun athletically or talent-wise.

And who said Pridgen is a four? This roster has no set positions with the exception of Doherty and McClintock. Even Telfort is listed as a guard on the roster.

Position-less basketball is what it is today.

I didn't say they should redshirt Nwagha and I didn't say he plays like Braun.

I also didn't tape any UNCW games because we didn' t play them this year but I did go to their message board and their consensus was that Pridgen is the protypical rebounding, inside playing four. His game is very similar to Telfort....or at least more like Telfort's than any other NU player.

Nwagha was all raw talent last year. If his game has improved a lot then his minutes will go up. The potential is there for him to be a really good rebounder and shot blocker but I don't see any evidence that he can be a future outside shooting three. But who knows at this point
05-20-2021 10:05 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

This is what you wrote. No?

"We have a logjam at the 4/5 spots for this year. I could see them pitching a redshirt year to Nwagha."

I know he doesn't play like Braun, so do you. But Nwagha isn't getting redshirted because he's raw.

Not on this roster IMO.

As far as Pridgen, you can see in the UNCW game videos he's not only a rebounder who only plays inside. He's way more diverse in his game than that. Inside players (which are few and far between now in college hoops) don't take guys off the dribble like Pridgen.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021 10:17 PM by geewizNU.)
05-20-2021 10:14 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(05-20-2021 10:14 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  This is what you wrote. No?

"We have a logjam at the 4/5 spots for this year. I could see them pitching a redshirt year to Nwagha."

I know he doesn't play like Braun, so do you. But Nwagha isn't getting redshirted because he's raw.

Not on this roster IMO.

As far as Pridgen, you can see in the UNCW game videos he's not only a rebounder who only plays inside. He's way more diverse in his game than that. Inside players (which are few and far between now in college hoops) don't take guys off the dribble like Pridgen.

Wiz.......WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Yes, I said I could see them dealing with the bigs logjam by pitching a redshirt year to Nwagha. Where did I say they should do that?

On Pridgen, his stats say he can rebound and he can score inside. He doesn't take many threes.

It sounds like your crystal ball is a lot clearer than mine.
05-20-2021 11:28 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

Greg Eboigboden is not listed on the 21-22 roster anymore.

I knew something was up because as soon as Tyreek Scott-Grayson was signed he was given #10... Eboigboden's number!

We move on...
07-13-2021 08:15 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I do remember that photo. I guess he just won't play anymore since he didn't enter the portal, at least as far as I know

I can't imagine we will sign someone else from the transfer portal now. Do you agree?
07-14-2021 12:08 PM
geewizNU Offline
All American

(07-14-2021 12:08 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  I do remember that photo. I guess he just won't play anymore since he didn't enter the portal, at least as far as I know

I can't imagine we will sign someone else from the transfer portal now. Do you agree?

Yeah, but it's not like they couldn't.
07-14-2021 03:34 PM
NUGUY Offline
1st String

(07-14-2021 12:08 PM)NUFan35 Wrote:  I do remember that photo. I guess he just won't play anymore since he didn't enter the portal, at least as far as I know

They were two over and now they are only one over.....but I agree, unless they have a chance to add a can't miss dream transfer.....probably not.
07-14-2021 08:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.