Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jake Julien
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Jake Julien
Drafted at number 31 in the CFL draft by Ottawa. May join a long list of EMU players who had success in the CFL.
05-05-2021 05:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: Jake Julien
(05-05-2021 05:28 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Drafted at number 31 in the CFL draft by Ottawa. May join a long list of EMU players who had success in the CFL.

Here is the release from EMU:
https://emueagles.com/news/2021/5/4/foot...draft.aspx

'Despite being selected, all indications from Julien are that he will forgo the opportunity to play with the RedBlacks, and will instead return to Eastern Michigan for a fifth season in 2021. The return is possible due to the NCAA's extension of eligibility as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic.'

I'm not sure if Ottawa would retain his rights for next year or if he'd go back into the player pool.
05-05-2021 06:42 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Glad to have him back. He has improved every year.
05-05-2021 08:05 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Don't mean to be rude by why in hell would a punter be taken #31 overall in any football draft at any level???? Come on now. Dude isn't Ray Guy.
05-05-2021 02:39 PM
Advertisement

cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(05-05-2021 02:39 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Don't mean to be rude by why in hell would a punter be taken #31 overall in any football draft at any level???? Come on now. Dude isn't Ray Guy.

I have not watched much CFL football, but I would guess that with a 110-yard field, field position is a much bigger thing than it is in the NFL. Julien not only kicks the ball far, he also gets a considerable amount of hangtime, allowing the coverage squad to do its job more effectively. So I could see where a very good punter who would be passed over in the NFL might be valued quite highly in the CFL. To go #31...well that does seem high, but if he is considered one of the top punting prospects in the CFL draft, he just might go there.

[EDIT] doing a little more research, I see where there is the opportunity to score one point on a punt if one of two things happen: The kicking team misses a field goal or punts the football and the receiving team does not return the ball out of their end zone OR the kicking team misses a field goal or punts the football and the ball goes through the end zone and out of bounds without being touched. So in the CFL, a solid punter is also a potential scorer.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 03:17 PM by cidbearit.)
05-05-2021 03:05 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-05-2021 03:05 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(05-05-2021 02:39 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Don't mean to be rude by why in hell would a punter be taken #31 overall in any football draft at any level???? Come on now. Dude isn't Ray Guy.

I have not watched much CFL football, but I would guess that with a 110-yard field, field position is a much bigger thing than it is in the NFL. Julien not only kicks the ball far, he also gets a considerable amount of hangtime, allowing the coverage squad to do its job more effectively. So I could see where a very good punter who would be passed over in the NFL might be valued quite highly in the CFL. To go #31...well that does seem high, but if he is considered one of the top punting prospects in the CFL draft, he just might go there.

[EDIT] doing a little more research, I see where there is the opportunity to score one point on a punt if one of two things happen: The kicking team misses a field goal or punts the football and the receiving team does not return the ball out of their end zone OR the kicking team misses a field goal or punts the football and the ball goes through the end zone and out of bounds without being touched. So in the CFL, a solid punter is also a potential scorer.

he also can kick and is listed as K / P on the position guide. There are only 9 teams so he was a 4th round pick. Also the CFL has quota's for canadian born players so if youre canadian born youve got a better shot of making the roster.

If he wants it theres no way Sow isnt playing up there next year assuming he doesnt make the NFL.
05-05-2021 03:26 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC

I'm giving you an extra point (how appropriate?) and BobW, nada for these posts. Your kick went into the CFL end zone for a point. Bob's went into a NFL end zone for a touchback.

Sir, you are correct. In Canadian football there is a very deep end zone. I think the kicking you refer is called a rouge (or something like that. I'll look it up).

And yes, it is a good rule because a team can opt not to try a super long FG but punt it hopefully deep into the end zone and earn a point. A FG attempt which is into the end zone but wide if not run out is worth a point.

If NFL stadium had extra length, I would like to see the same rule.

I'm surprised BobW never watched any CFL FB when he lived in MI. I remember watching some games on what was CKLW (?). And yes, dad and I fought my mother and sister to watch Hockey Night in Canada before there was expansion.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2021 04:26 PM by emu steve.)
05-05-2021 03:55 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
P.S. This is a diagram of the CFL field. It is 110 yards long. Knew that. Has a 20 yard end zone. Knew that. Didn't remember that the goal posts are on the goal line.

A strong legged punter is a big + in CFL. All of the boring NFL touchbacks need to be run out or concede the rouge (one point).

And of course with the longer field, that gives the punter more turf to go for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CFL+fiel...0V537TDTFM
05-05-2021 05:32 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Jake's career at EMU is in Aaron Rogers words, a beautiful mystery.

I was at the spring game a few years ago sitting behind our successful punter, Austin
Barnes who took a grad transfer out of EMU. Ivan Oraha and Jake shared the newly available job and neither was very good for the next season. In fact our most effective punts came from Roback quick kicking on third downs. Jake was doing the rugby thing and was not terribly impressive. Then the next year Jake went conventional and became a really, really good punter. I'm intrigued, was it coaching or was it just Julien maturing? He is very good right now, I certainly hope he stays.
05-05-2021 06:13 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I had a job assignment in Winnipeg and the hotel I was staying at had season tickets on the 50 yard line and a block of 4. So my coworker and I would go to the games in their 30,000 seat stadium (say David Bowie there outdoors in 1983). Besides the kicking rule there are 3 downs and no fair catches. Due to the larger field if you are a lock down DB in the CFL you have a chance in the NFL with the narrower field. Defensive linemen and linebackers tend to be smaller and quicker than their American counterparts. The games were entertaining and the Molson's was great (not the watered down skunk water they call Molson's here). If Glass doesn't make the NFL he would be a great CFL QB.
05-05-2021 06:54 PM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-05-2021 06:54 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I had a job assignment in Winnipeg and the hotel I was staying at had season tickets on the 50 yard line and a block of 4. So my coworker and I would go to the games in their 30,000 seat stadium (say David Bowie there outdoors in 1983). Besides the kicking rule there are 3 downs and no fair catches. Due to the larger field if you are a lock down DB in the CFL you have a chance in the NFL with the narrower field. Defensive linemen and linebackers tend to be smaller and quicker than their American counterparts. The games were entertaining and the Molson's was great (not the watered down skunk water they call Molson's here). If Glass doesn't make the NFL he would be a great CFL QB.

the CFL is a watchable brand of football. lotta fun plays and every roster has one or two guys where you end up saying 'huh thats where Vernon Adams ended up' (montreal)
05-06-2021 06:32 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(05-05-2021 03:55 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I'm giving you an extra point (how appropriate?) and BobW, nada for these posts. Your kick went into the CFL end zone for a point. Bob's went into a NFL end zone for a touchback.

Sir, you are correct. In Canadian football there is a very deep end zone. I think the kicking you refer is called a rouge (or something like that. I'll look it up).

And yes, it is a good rule because a team can opt not to try a super long FG but punt it hopefully deep into the end zone and earn a point. A FG attempt which is into the end zone but wide if not run out is worth a point.

I'm surprised BobW never watched any CFL FB when he lived in MI. I remember watching some games on what was CKLW (?). And yes, dad and I fought my mother and sister to watch Hockey Night in Canada before there was expansion.
I guess the point is if he was that much of a weapon, wouldn't he at least expect to be in an NFL camp this summer?
05-06-2021 03:03 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(05-06-2021 03:03 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

I guess the point is if he was that much of a weapon, wouldn't he at least expect to be in an NFL camp this summer?

Since it appears he is hanging at EMU for a fifth year (according to EMU's release), my guess is he either has NFL aspirtations, or is not interested in going pro.
05-06-2021 03:53 PM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-06-2021 03:53 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  

Since it appears he is hanging at EMU for a fifth year (according to EMU's release), my guess is he either has NFL aspirtations, or is not interested in going pro.

Speaking of the CFL - Éric Deslauriers is the Director of Football Operations for the Montreal Allouettes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ric_Deslauriers
05-10-2021 03:13 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2021 03:13 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 03:53 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(05-05-2021 03:05 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  I have not watched much CFL football, but I would guess that with a 110-yard field, field position is a much bigger thing than it is in the NFL. Julien not only kicks the ball far, he also gets a considerable amount of hangtime, allowing the coverage squad to do its job more effectively. So I could see where a very good punter who would be passed over in the NFL might be valued quite highly in the CFL. To go #31...well that does seem high, but if he is considered one of the top punting prospects in the CFL draft, he just might go there.

Speaking of the CFL - Éric Deslauriers is the Director of Football Operations for the Montreal Allouettes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ric_Deslauriers
Hell of a receiver for Eastern. I really thought he'd have a career in the NFL.
05-11-2021 07:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.