EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
RE: The “Measuring Stick”
(05-06-2021 05:12 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 04:54 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 02:59 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 11:54 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  Harkema should've a statue then 10 wins in 1987! A MAC championship and the only bowl win in E Michigan history! CC has to win 8 games with this current schedule! It's his 8th season as head coach, and returns 91 percent of his starters from last year! 20 out of 22! 6-6 would be a total failure! 3-1 OOC and A 3-5 MAC simply can't happen! 5-3 MAC record has to be the expectation period!

I don't know. Is Harkema in the EMU HOF?
Kidding me?????????

Harkema had a couple really nice seasons. No doubt. But his overall MAC record is far below .500 as his his overall record.

So he is HOF with the following record:

Eastern Michigan: 41–57–5 32–41–4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harkema
You know he inherited a team that set the record for the nation's longest losing streak and a program the MAC was hell bent on kicking out of the conference right? What he accomplished in 1987 was damn near a miracle.
Bob Wickersham, from 1986-1989! Harkema I would think, but I'm not sure we had the best 4 year stretch in E Michigan football history! In 1989, when I was a student we started 5-0-1! Imagine that now..........Some people on this board are saying A 6 or 7 win season, and a bowl game is acceptable! No way, not this upcoming season! 8-4 is what needs to be the expectation! Should be 3-1 starting MAC play...........
05-06-2021 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-06-2021 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 11:54 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  Harkema should've a statue then 10 wins in 1987! A MAC championship and the only bowl win in E Michigan history! CC has to win 8 games with this current schedule! It's his 8th season as head coach, and returns 91 percent of his starters from last year! 20 out of 22! 6-6 would be a total failure! 3-1 OOC and A 3-5 MAC simply can't happen! 5-3 MAC record has to be the expectation period!

I don't know. Is Harkema in the EMU HOF?
Kidding me?????????

Harkema had a couple really nice seasons. No doubt. But his overall MAC record is far below .500 as his his overall record.

You know he inherited a team that set the record for the nation's longest losing streak and a program the MAC was hell bent on kicking out of the conference right? What he accomplished in 1987 was damn near a miracle.

True. C.C. has accomplished a lot to get the program at where it is. The program he took over was in bad shape.

The program had been down a lot over the decades.
05-06-2021 06:12 PM
Bob Wickersham Online
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(05-06-2021 06:12 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  I don't know. Is Harkema in the EMU HOF?
Kidding me?????????

True. C.C. has accomplished a lot to get the program at where it is. The program he took over was in bad shape.

I think this will be CC's year. He has a chance to be a legend here, like Harkema.
05-06-2021 07:32 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(05-06-2021 07:32 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 02:59 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Kidding me?????????

I think this will be CC's year. He has a chance to be a legend here, like Harkema.

real cats and dogs living together situation here: I completely agree with BobW

context matters when it comes to this stuff. hark turned the program around and CC is turning it around. if CC quit today he'd be an EMU HOFer no question in my mind.
05-07-2021 06:56 AM
Bob Wickersham Online
Heisman

(05-07-2021 06:56 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 07:32 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 04:54 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Harkema had a couple really nice seasons. No doubt. But his overall MAC record is far below .500 as his his overall record.

real cats and dogs living together situation here: I completely agree with BobW

context matters when it comes to this stuff. hark turned the program around and CC is turning it around. if CC quit today he'd be an EMU HOFer no question in my mind.
He has some great signature wins. I think he needs that breakthrough signature season. This could/should be it. I'm excited for the season.
05-07-2021 07:57 AM
HuffyLegend Offline
Water Engineer

Very interesting thread. Two observations.

1. The 20 of 22 starters returning is being offered as a "he needs to win this year" piece of evidence. In theory that makes sense. But is it being overlooked that EVERYONE else is in this situation? The extra year being given to all the kids (Covid related) has made almost all rosters full of returners. In a separate thread you've debated the merits and realities of the transfer portal. It's full of power 5 kids looking for a home. Really hard to predict why they are leaving, and what they bring to your program (buyer beware?). The high number of returners & the explosive growth of the transfer portal will make this year harder to predict than any in recent memory. Or in other words, I'd hate to be the editor of Athlon's preview magazines, with my bonus package tied to prediction success rate.

2. Recruiting is a lot of it. CC$ does ALOT with what he brings in (and I'm not even going to go down on the road on what he does for these young men and their impact as men). The new facility makes it easier. But I don't know if any of us truly understand how hard it is to bring in guys to EMU. Or in other words, if it was easier to bring "dudes" into EMU, they would get them here. But FBS recruiting at this level is very much based on finding diamonds, and they are really hard to find. An example was the stud WR from FL. Great athlete, had all the measurables, got him on campus and worked him into the lineup. But wasn't mentally tough enough to finish. Had some of what you wanted, but not all. And the kids with "all" are rarer, and harder to find as well.

CC$ is who you want to coach your son. If the purpose of college athletics is the development of one piece of these kids lives, then keep him as long as you can.[/i]
05-08-2021 09:27 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

The “Measuring Stick”
Who are the two starters not returning? I know that Q Williams is one, but who is the other?
05-08-2021 12:14 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(05-08-2021 12:14 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Who are the two starters not returning? I know that Q Williams is one, but who is the other?
I'm assuming either Jeff Hubbard or Freddie Mcgee! Michael Smith is returning!
05-08-2021 03:28 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I believe we will win 6 or 7 games and qualify for a bowl game. Also season tickets, general fan interest, alumni interest and bringing former football alumni into the program have all increased under Creighton. As long as we win 6-7 games in football and attendance increases then creighton can coach here as long as he wants.

My thoughts on this season which are shared by several of you as follows:

1) We have 20 starters back but a) The offense could not run the ball consistently and b) our defense could not stop the run consistently! If you can’t run the ball and stop the run we will be mediocre at best.
2) A lot of teams are bringing starters back so we have no advantage.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2021 04:46 PM by Luckeyone.)
05-08-2021 04:13 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

We are 3rd in the MAC in returning production, so while there is more than average returning for each team we still have more than most MAC teams.

CMU and Ball State are the two with more.
05-08-2021 04:46 PM
Bob Wickersham Online
Heisman

(05-08-2021 04:13 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I believe we will win 6 or 7 games and qualify for a bowl game. Also season tickets, general fan interest, alumni interest and bringing former football alumni into the program have all increased under Creighton. As long as we win 6-7 games in football and attendance increases then creighton can coach here as long as he wants.

1) We have 20 starters back but a) The offense could not run the ball consistently and b) our defense could not stop the run consistently! If you can’t run the ball and stop the run we will be mediocre at best.
Luckey, do NOT underestimate of the value of returning the top QB in the MAC. I haven't been this excited about the upcoming football season in many years. I will be coming to a game this year.
05-11-2021 07:06 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2021 07:06 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(05-08-2021 04:13 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I believe we will win 6 or 7 games and qualify for a bowl game. Also season tickets, general fan interest, alumni interest and bringing former football alumni into the program have all increased under Creighton. As long as we win 6-7 games in football and attendance increases then creighton can coach here as long as he wants.

Luckey, do NOT underestimate of the value of returning the top QB in the MAC. I haven't been this excited about the upcoming football season in many years. I will be coming to a game this year.
Agree. If Hutchinson continues his progress he might be the best in the MAC. Not having Boone for 1/2 the season hurt the running game. If he's heathly plus an experienced Evans and others then the run game should be fine.
05-11-2021 07:19 AM
Bob Wickersham Online
Heisman

(05-11-2021 07:19 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Agree. If Hutchinson continues his progress he might be the best in the MAC. Not having Boone for 1/2 the season hurt the running game. If he's heathly plus an experienced Evans and others then the run game should be fine.
Spot on. 100%
05-11-2021 07:41 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-11-2021 07:41 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Spot on. 100%

Hutch has to stay healthy. Learn to slide my dude - he took some shots last year.
05-11-2021 07:49 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

And our running backs learn to hang on to the ball.
05-11-2021 07:57 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(05-11-2021 07:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

And our running backs learn to hang on to the ball.

we can survive fumbles - im not sure we can survive hutch getting his bell rung too hard
05-11-2021 08:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.