Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Welcome Coach Roberts!
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
MyBB Welcome Coach Roberts!
I know it's been mentioned in other threads but now it is official. This is a great addition to the staff indeed. We have midwest connections now in addition to the south/southeast.

04-28-2021 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: Welcome Coach Roberts!
Quote:Mike Roberts has been named an assistant men's basketball coach at the University of Cincinnati, Head Coach Wes Miller announced Tuesday.

"I've known Mike Roberts for over 20 years and he was the first person I called when I was hired at UNCG," Coach Miller says. "For seven years we worked side by side and I'm confident in our ability to do that effectively at Cincinnati. We have different personalities and backgrounds in coaching, but we share the same values. He's an elite coach. He understands what it takes to improve – one day at a time. And most importantly, he genuinely cares for the young people he coaches."

Roberts comes to Cincinnati after spending the previous two seasons as an assistant coach at Indiana University working under Head Coach Archie Miller.

"I'm ecstatic about the opportunity to work with Wes Miller again and be a part of a storied UC program," Roberts says. "It took something special for me to leave my alma mater and I am forever grateful to Archie Miller, Mike Woodson and the entire Bloomington community. I look forward to hitting the ground running at UC and helping this program compete for championships."

Roberts has prior experience working under Miller from his eight-year stint at UNCG from 2011-19. He helped the Spartans reach the 20-win mark in each of his last three seasons, the first time in program history that feat had been achieved. The Spartans recorded an 80-26 overall mark from 2016-19 along with anNCAA Tournament appearance in 2018 and two National Invitational Tournament appearances in 2017 and 2019.

He also has previous coaching stops at Rice, California, and Texas Tech.

The Terre Haute, Indiana native was on the IU basketball roster from 2000-05, which appeared in three NCAA Tournaments - including a National Championship appearance in 2002.

Mike Roberts

04-28-2021 10:44 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Quote:Mike Roberts is leaving his alma mater to join back up with his last boss before Archie Miller.

According to a report by Jeff Goodman from Stadium, Roberts will join Wes Miller at Cincinnati as an assistant coach. Roberts had worked under Wes Miller for eight years as an associate head coach at North Carolina-Greensboro before joining Archie Miller’s staff at Indiana prior to the 2019-20 season. Indiana had announced that Roberts would be kept on by new head coach Mike Woodson as an assistant athletic director for basketball administration, an off-court position that would have put him under the authority of Thad Matta.

In each of Roberts’ last three years with Wes Miller at UNC-Greensboro, the program won at least 20 games. Miller was hired as the coach at Cincinnati on April 14, replacing John Brannen.

A Terre Haute, Ind. native, Roberts was recruited to Indiana by Bob Knight but never played for him. His career in Bloomington spanned from 2000 to 2005 and began just after Knight was fired. Roberts was a member of IU’s 2002 national finalist team.

The Daily Hoosier

04-28-2021 10:47 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Quote:Mike Roberts is heading back to the bench. The former Indiana assistant is joining Wes Miller's staff at Cincinnati, according to a tweet from the Stadium's Jeff Goodman.

Roberts, a former Indiana player who was hired by Archie Miller two years to be an assistant coach with the Hoosiers, was not retained by Mike Woodson went he replaced Miller last month. Roberts was asked by Indiana athletic director Scott Dolson to stay around during the transition after Miller was fired on March 15, and he did. After Woodson was hired, Roberts accepted the job of assistant athletic director for basketball administration.

But Roberts still wanted to coach, and when Wes Miller, who was hired two weeks ago at Cincinnati, offered a position back on the bench, Roberts couldn't say no. Roberts used to work for Miller at UNC-Greensboro.

Roberts played for Indiana from 2001-2005. Roberts was born in Terre Haute, Ind. and then later played high school basketball in Oregon. He returned to Indiana for college, and was a part of the Hoosiers’ 2002 national championship runner-up team that lost to Maryland in the title game.

Roberts spent time as an assistant coach at multiple schools, including eight successful seasons at UNC-Greensboro before returning to Indiana as an assistant coach.

After his playing career at Indiana, Roberts served as a graduate assistant coach under Bob Knight at Texas Tech for one year. He went on to coach as an assistant at Rice and California before landing at UNC-Greensboro under Miller.

Roberts and Miller had three straight 20 wins at Greensboro. The Spartans were the No. 1 overall seed in the NIT during the 2018-2019 season where they won 17 consecutive home games and 11 non-conference victories.

In 2019, Roberts returned to Indiana to be an assistant under Archie Miller, replacing Ed Schilling, who left the program that year.

When Woodson was hired, he retained assistant coach Kenya Hunter from Miller's staff, but Tom Ostrom was not. Roberts was helpful in the transition, but Woodson had other ideas for the openings.

He hired Dane Fife, a former Indiana player who had a great reputation as a 10-year assistant at Michigan State, and then hired Yasir Rosemond, a former Alabama assistant.

Sports Illustrated

04-28-2021 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.