Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chad Dollar to Cincinnati as Assistant Coach Confirmed by Chad Brendel at BCJ
Bookmark and Share
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: Chad Dollar to Cincinnati as Assistant Coach Confirmed by Chad Brendel at BCJ
(04-28-2021 05:27 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(04-28-2021 06:51 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I find it highly encouraging that we are stealing assistant coaches from Indiana and Georgia. At least on paper.

I’m curious how we got a guy to leave an SEC school? I know it’s not a basketball powerhouse, but any idea? Please post if it’s not inside information from bearcat journal. He must have some past relationship with Miller?

Big salary upgrade? Wasn’t Cameron dollar from California? Would love some contacts in California.

They Dollars are from Georgia though Cameron went to ucla.

Uc is a desirable job. It's an historic basketball with great facilities that coaches know you can succeed at.

04-28-2021 05:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Chad Dollar to Cincinnati as Assistant Coach Confirmed by Chad Brendel at BCJ
As much money as Georgia has, it's not like they were paying their basketball assistants crazy money. I saw an article from 2019 saying Dollar's annual salary was raised to $300,000. That's in line with the average salary we can afford to pay our assistants considering our $1.3 million staff budget. Even if you paid all 3 assistants $300,000 each, that would leave $400,000 for support staff. I'm guessing a good strength trainer will set you back about $100,000-$150,000, then you can have 3-5 ops guys making somewhere in the $50,000-$100,000 range.

04-28-2021 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hemond Offline
2nd String

I hope Dollar does a good job.

04-28-2021 09:56 PM
chicago bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-28-2021 09:56 PM)Hemond Wrote:  I hope Dollar does a good job.

I've noticed you're a man of many words.

04-28-2021 10:06 PM
ZCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(04-28-2021 05:41 PM)skyblade Wrote:  
(04-28-2021 05:27 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(04-28-2021 06:51 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I find it highly encouraging that we are stealing assistant coaches from Indiana and Georgia. At least on paper.

I’m curious how we got a guy to leave an SEC school? I know it’s not a basketball powerhouse, but any idea? Please post if it’s not inside information from bearcat journal. He must have some past relationship with Miller?

Big salary upgrade? Wasn’t Cameron dollar from California? Would love some contacts in California.

Go check out a georgia basketball forum. Word is that Tom Crean is fairly comparable in terms of likeability and relationship building to John Brannen. But Georgia doesn't want to pay his buyout and doesn't have the for cause route, so they are stuck with him another year.
Thanks!! Any future overall number one draft picks tired of him and want to enter the portal? hehe

04-28-2021 10:54 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(04-28-2021 07:59 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  As much money as Georgia has, it's not like they were paying their basketball assistants crazy money. I saw an article from 2019 saying Dollar's annual salary was raised to $300,000. That's in line with the average salary we can afford to pay our assistants considering our $1.3 million staff budget. Even if you paid all 3 assistants $300,000 each, that would leave $400,000 for support staff. I'm guessing a good strength trainer will set you back about $100,000-$150,000, then you can have 3-5 ops guys making somewhere in the $50,000-$100,000 range.

It's funny, for as well-funded as Georgia football is, they really penny-pinch when it comes to hoops. Last time I checked, Georgia's basketball budget is the 2nd-to-smallest in the SEC, just ahead of Mississippi State. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still larger than Cincinnati's budget but, still, not a ton of internal support despite the overall Athletic Department swimming in cash.

04-29-2021 08:07 AM
skylinecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-29-2021 08:07 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(04-28-2021 07:59 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  As much money as Georgia has, it's not like they were paying their basketball assistants crazy money. I saw an article from 2019 saying Dollar's annual salary was raised to $300,000. That's in line with the average salary we can afford to pay our assistants considering our $1.3 million staff budget. Even if you paid all 3 assistants $300,000 each, that would leave $400,000 for support staff. I'm guessing a good strength trainer will set you back about $100,000-$150,000, then you can have 3-5 ops guys making somewhere in the $50,000-$100,000 range.

It's funny, for as well-funded as Georgia football is, they really penny-pinch when it comes to hoops. Last time I checked, Georgia's basketball budget is the 2nd-to-smallest in the SEC, just ahead of Mississippi State. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still larger than Cincinnati's budget but, still, not a ton of internal support despite the overall Athletic Department swimming in cash.

Getting top 3 football recruiting classes isn't a cheap endeavor.

04-29-2021 08:12 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Crean is an interesting case. He was successful at Marquette and his Final Four probably drew the attention of Indiana. He was not successful in Bloomington by their fans' standards and in fact many fans loathed him in his final season. There are comparisons to be drawn with UC and Tubs perhaps?

So arguably, Georgia made a high profile hire who had peaked at Marquette and struggled at IU and I won't be surprised if he's gone a year from now. It's hard for us to imagine that SEC flagship state universities don't seem to care much about basketball at all but historically that's been the case. UK won a lot of those SEC championships earlier in its history when basketball was little more than an afterthought at many of those conference schools. That's changed a lot--but not entirely.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021 08:29 AM by OKIcat.)
04-29-2021 08:28 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

You seem less confident than other hires. Why only "hope"?

04-29-2021 08:35 AM
Hemond Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2021 08:35 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  

I don't know a lot about Dollar but I will learn more about him.

04-29-2021 09:38 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(04-29-2021 09:38 AM)Hemond Wrote:  
(04-29-2021 08:35 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  

I don't know a lot about Dollar but I will learn more about him.

Understood. Once you analyze his plays, I'm sure you'll let us know your thoughts.

04-29-2021 09:51 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2021 08:28 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Crean is an interesting case. He was successful at Marquette and his Final Four probably drew the attention of Indiana. He was not successful in Bloomington by their fans' standards and in fact many fans loathed him in his final season. There are comparisons to be drawn with UC and Tubs perhaps?

So arguably, Georgia made a high profile hire who had peaked at Marquette and struggled at IU and I won't be surprised if he's gone a year from now. It's hard for us to imagine that SEC flagship state universities don't seem to care much about basketball at all but historically that's been the case. UK won a lot of those SEC championships earlier in its history when basketball was little more than an afterthought at many of those conference schools. That's changed a lot--but not entirely.

I've always thought Crean was overrated as a coach. He got lucky with Dwayne Wade because he had academic issues that scared off the blue bloods, and he carried Marquette to the Final Four. Marquette was already a good program, and outside of that one season, Crean's performance was on par with most of the other guys who have coached there. Not saying Crean is a bum, but I wasn't shocked that he couldn't bring Indiana back to glory. He's solid, but not anywhere close to elite.

04-29-2021 10:30 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(04-29-2021 08:28 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

That's been the case historically, but SEC schools have really invested in basketball in the past decade or two.

In 2019, the SEC was 2nd in average basketball attendance. They had 5 of the top-20 paid coaches.

The lowest-paid coach in the SEC in 2021 (Alabama) would have been mid-pack in the PAC-12, Big East, or ACC.

And it's paid off. The SEC has tied with the ACC and Big 10 for most Final Fours since conference reallignment in 2013. They've averaged 7 NCAA bids the last 3 tournaments.

04-29-2021 01:14 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Used to be just Florida and Kentucky for a long time. Now they have some other guys making runs.

04-29-2021 01:36 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

Arkansas and Alabama are going to be really good for a while as long as a blue blood doesn't steal Musselman or Oats away. I would think Oats is the more attractive candidate due to his age. Vandy is trying, but who knows if Stackhouse will be able to pull it off. But yeah, the SEC has been hiring some big names in recent years. Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, and Bruce Pearl were all very established hires. Crean is a name, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think he's anything special as a head coach.

04-29-2021 01:48 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(04-29-2021 01:48 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Arkansas and Alabama are going to be really good for a while as long as a blue blood doesn't steal Musselman or Oats away. I would think Oats is the more attractive candidate due to his age. Vandy is trying, but who knows if Stackhouse will be able to pull it off. But yeah, the SEC has been hiring some big names in recent years. Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, and Bruce Pearl were all very established hires. Crean is a name, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think he's anything special as a head coach.

Arkansas thinks of themselves as a blue-blood in basketball.

And they have some evidence to back that up. They're top-15 in attendance every year. They're 29th in all-time wins, despite starting a team later (1924) than everyone else in the top-50. They have as many Final Fours (6) and tournament bids (33) as the Bearcats. They won a national title in 1994.

They're no Kentucky. But historically, they're right up there with Cincinnati, Georgetown, Arizona, etc. IMO they're the 2nd best program in the SEC (ahead of LSU and Florida).

04-29-2021 02:50 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2021 02:50 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(04-29-2021 01:48 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Arkansas and Alabama are going to be really good for a while as long as a blue blood doesn't steal Musselman or Oats away. I would think Oats is the more attractive candidate due to his age. Vandy is trying, but who knows if Stackhouse will be able to pull it off. But yeah, the SEC has been hiring some big names in recent years. Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, and Bruce Pearl were all very established hires. Crean is a name, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think he's anything special as a head coach.

Arkansas thinks of themselves as a blue-blood in basketball.

And they have some evidence to back that up. They're top-15 in attendance every year. They're 29th in all-time wins, despite starting a team later (1924) than everyone else in the top-50. They have as many Final Fours (6) and tournament bids (33) as the Bearcats. They won a national title in 1994.

They're no Kentucky. But historically, they're right up there with Cincinnati, Georgetown, Arizona, etc. IMO they're the 2nd best program in the SEC (ahead of LSU and Florida).

Oh yeah, I have a lot of respect for Arkansas. They're in that 2nd tier not far behind the blue bloods. But if Kentucky or Duke wanted him, I'm sure he would listen. I don't think he would be a target of either school though because he's already like 57. There are younger guys (like Oats) that they would pursue first, plus there's always the challenge of navigating the fanbase and donors who love having alumni in the mix.

04-29-2021 04:02 PM
eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Quote:Georgia basketball loses top recruiter Chad Dollar

| April 27, 2021
By Chip Towers, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATHENS — Georgia men’s basketball is losing one of its top recruiters to another team.

Chad Dollar, an Atlanta native and SEC coaching veteran, is leaving the Bulldogs to accept a position on the staff at Cincinnati under new head coach Wes Miller, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution confirmed. Dollar is credited for helping Georgia coach Tom Crean penetrate the complicated Atlanta AAU circuit for top recruits, including 2020 No. 1 NBA Draft pick Anthony Edwards.

The Dollars are known as one of the first families of Atlanta basketball. Dollar’s father, longtime Douglass High coach Don Dollar, was one of the pioneers of the AAU basketball movement in the city. Chad’s brother, Cameron, was a top prospect who won a national championship at UCLA in 1995 and is now an NBA assistant coach.

Chad Dollar, 49, worked at Auburn and LSU before coming to Georgia to join Crean’s staff three years ago. His loss means the Bulldogs no longer have a coach on staff with state ties. Look for that to be a priority as Crean seeks a replacement.

Meanwhile, Georgia finds itself in the throes of yet another rebuild heading into Crean’s fourth season. The Bulldogs have had five players from the 2020-21 team enter the transfer portal, including starters Sahvir Wheeler, Toumani Camara and Tye Fagan. So far, Georgia has replaced them with four transfers (and the Bulldogs have three signees so far in the 2021 recruiting class in 3-star prospects Tyrone Baker, Camron McDowell and Christian Wright.

Georgia played Cincinnati this past season and beat the Bearcats 83-68 Dec. 19 in Athens. That team was coached John Brannen, who was fired earlier this month amid an internal investigation. Miller was hired from UNC-Greensboro as Brannen’s replacement two weeks ago.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bulld...Y34GQIFVU/

05-10-2021 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.