Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Leading by example...
Bookmark and Share
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
RE: Leading by example...
(04-25-2021 03:15 PM)catcane Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 03:04 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Now way Collaros was better than Guidugi.

I never saw Greg Cook play, but Gino was the best QB I've seen us have here. I always kind've felt sorry for him because to be blunt and honest, at the time he could have done a lot better than us.

Collaros played on better teams, much like Dez right now. Hey, I don't need Dez to be John Elway, just win the games.

I did see Greg Cook play and there was a very good reason that he was chosen in the 1st round with the #5 draft pick.

Greg Cook without the injury or with today's shoulder surgery would be in Canton. He really was that good.

04-25-2021 06:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
+1 on Cook. I saw him play an exhibition game against KC in Jackson, Mississippi, in 1969, if memory serves. But that was then, and this is now. I'm pulling forr Des to have a healthy and productive year that propels back into the NY6.

04-26-2021 12:53 PM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Gino and his 21 Int’s in 2002, most maddening UC football team in the last 20 plus years. Team should have beaten Ohio State and WVU at home. Lost a close one to Miami. Choked away a rather infamous game at Hawaii. Was embarrassed by UNT in the bowl game.

In between all that they won their opener against TCU in miracle fashion. Won a conference championship. Won 7 games and extended UC bowl streak to 3.

It was a Rick Minter season.

04-26-2021 01:14 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I have been higher than many on Des on here. In sports there are players that can just. R described as “winners”. It might not be pretty, but they will find a way to win. I’d put Ben Mauk and Tony Pine in that category as well.

04-26-2021 01:34 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Probably not a fair comparison between Gino and Desmond due to a number of factors. That said, Rid is a combo platter QB that has contributed to a lot of winning in his time under center. He won't end up passing Gino in yards but he will go down as one of our best QB's overall. He also has a chance to go undefeated and winning a NY6 bowl. That is something no UC QB has done to my knowledge/recollection.

On another note, I think it's cool and a blessing to have Gino as the QB coach for Rid. Gino is the bridge between the older guard and the newer version of the program. I have a feeling there is no bigger supporter for Rid than Gino.

04-26-2021 02:00 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-26-2021 01:14 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Gino and his 21 Int’s in 2002, most maddening UC football team in the last 20 plus years. Team should have beaten Ohio State and WVU at home. Lost a close one to Miami. Choked away a rather infamous game at Hawaii. Was embarrassed by UNT in the bowl game.

In between all that they won their opener against TCU in miracle fashion. Won a conference championship. Won 7 games and extended UC bowl streak to 3.

Bolded, that says it all doesn't it? Rick did some fine work to keep UC competitive and earn some headliner wins. But in the end, just couldn't sustain any success.

His biggest would have, could have, should have moment was that loss to Ohio State @ PBS. It would have changed the narrative for UC in this state and denied OSU a national championship that year--both would have been historic.

Thankfully, UC football is in a much better place now than ever before.

04-26-2021 02:16 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Pinned tweet from Thamel who continues to show our program love...

04-26-2021 02:23 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

^^^^
From Thamel's article linked in the tweet above...

Quote:Fickell has had countless opportunities to leave for high-profile jobs, and he’s appreciative enough of Ridder sticking around for a last dance that he’s finding creative ways to be sure his quarterback keeps developing.

The staff encouraged a trip this spring to visit private quarterback coach Jordan Palmer in California to expand Ridder's horizons. Strength coach Brady Collins set a goal for Ridder to gain 10 more pounds to play at 225, a considerable jump from him arriving at 176 pounds and his lack of bulk earning him the nickname “Calvin Klein model.”

Offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock has focused on putting Ridder in “a position to be uncomfortable.” Ridder will also be sitting in on the coaching meetings on Sundays this fall to help him gain a different perspective. “Just so he understands kind of the what and whys of why we're attacking it,” quarterback coach and passing game coordinator Gino Guidugli said. “I think it'll help him down the road.”

NFL scouts want to see a more polished passer. When Guidugli broke down Ridder’s completion chart this offseason, he was under 50% on passes to his left. Ridder especially struggled with shorter balls in that direction, so they’ve worked on footwork to correct it. They also have put a premium on deep ball accuracy, as Guidugli noted some over-the-top misses on shots in games against Army, Austin Peay and South Florida. “If he hits some of those ones early in the season, he may be coming out this year in the draft instead of coming back,” Guidugli said.

The Bearcat offense should be loaded this year with Alabama transfer tailback Jerome Ford — “he’s going to be special,” Guidugli says — and two NFL-caliber tight ends in Leonard Taylor and Josh Whyle (six TDs), who reminds Denbrock of former Notre Dame star Tyler Eifert.

On Ridder’s trip to California to work out with Palmer, he got an education in stability, mobility and how the connectivity of the body can impact the throwing motion. A stiff ankle can impact the knee, which can have a kinetic impact on accuracy. “Really learning that throwing isn't just about arms and upper body, but it's about your full body and keeping everything in contact,” Ridder said.

Palmer came away impressed with Ridder’s talent, athleticism and the coaching he’d received from Guidugli, the only quarterback coach Ridder has had at UC who Palmer said he has a “ton of admiration for” as a teacher. It’s also not lost on Palmer that Ridder’s “all-ball” focus doesn’t stray outside football and family, as he’s already flashed the habits and mannerisms of a pro.

Ridder’s decision to return could pay big draft dividends, as Palmer forecasted that Ridder would have reached the top of the second tier in this draft — think the neighborhood of Kellen Mond, Kyle Trask and Davis Mills — had he declared and thrown in front of teams.

Ridder’s 30 wins put him in position to be one of the five winningest starting quarterbacks in the history of the sport. Kellen Moore at 50-3 and Colt McCoy at 45-8 are out of reach, but he could realistically pass Peyton Manning (39-6) or perhaps catch David Greene (42-10) and end up immortalized in elite company.

“He can significantly elevate his draft status for next year,” Palmer said. “There’s a chance he’s something like 43-5 and NFL people are saying, ‘Oh, this is one of the best college football players ever.’”

Rid - the future is now!

04-26-2021 02:31 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
Good article, with one glaring inaccuracy - Colt McCoy is absolutely within reach. Ridder is only 15 wins from him.

04-26-2021 03:00 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

01-ncaabbs

07-24-2021 10:07 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-24-2021 01:04 PM)cpawstoney Wrote:  -
(04-24-2021 11:51 AM)KenyonFartin Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 11:37 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  Damn Gino put up some yards.

He did have 1,556 career pass attempts, though.

Des has actually averaged (slightly) more yards per attempt.

I was at Nippert for the college careers of both Des and Gino. Without looking at the stats, Des is no where near the quality QB Gino was. I'd take Zach Collaros over both of them. For his three years starting, 2009-2011, he had 6276 passing yards with 803 rushing for a total of 7079 total yards. Zach also had Isaiah Pead who rushed for over 3,000 yards those three years. Collaros & Pead, a joy to watch.

Yeah, I love Gino, but he was a pure gun-slinger and sometimes threw when he shouldn't and sometimes threw into dangerous coverages and sometimes threw beyond his and/or his receiver's abilities. You rarely thought they were truly "out" of a game, but the offense was really monochromatic. (As evidenced by the last regular season game of Gino's career where he gashed his hand right before the Louisville game and couldn't play and we scored...7...points.)

Collaros was a much more balanced QB...he started out as a running QB and built his throwing set up over a couple of seasons. It did help that he (Collaros) wasn't thrown to the wolves right off the bat (he was part of that 5-starting QB season)...he got to sit and watch a senior Grutza and Pike...but Zach showed, IMO, a better sense of judgement of when to throw and when to run and when to just eat a busted play. And yeah...Zach had weapons around him that Gino never did. We could wonder what Gino could have done with receivers like Binns who just "came down with the ball." But the ground-threat of Pead and Collaros opened up stuff that really played to Zach's decision-making. I don't know if we ever had (maybe outside of Greg Cook) a QB who could read the field so well... (Maybe Mauk... He was a really talented guy who we didn't get enough time to see.)

I think the ultimate proof of Collaros' judgement and leadership was his career up in Canada. We (as Bearcat fans) sometimes miss that because it's not the NFL, but Zach had a GREAT career up in the Great White North. His name ought to be up on the "Ring of Red" here soon.

07-24-2021 10:25 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-26-2021 02:16 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-26-2021 01:14 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Gino and his 21 Int’s in 2002, most maddening UC football team in the last 20 plus years. Team should have beaten Ohio State and WVU at home. Lost a close one to Miami. Choked away a rather infamous game at Hawaii. Was embarrassed by UNT in the bowl game.

Bolded, that says it all doesn't it? Rick did some fine work to keep UC competitive and earn some headliner wins. But in the end, just couldn't sustain any success.

His biggest would have, could have, should have moment was that loss to Ohio State @ PBS. It would have changed the narrative for UC in this state and denied OSU a national championship that year--both would have been historic.

Minter reached his ceiling as a Head Coach here. I think...I hope...over time, most Bearcat fans will look at his 9 seasons with some thankfulness: he took the momentum established by Tim Murphy (who also is a mostly unsung hero who saved the program) and turned "winning" into an expectation, not an exception. But he reached his plateau as a head coach...not everyone is cut-out to be a Head Coach. Minter is a Defensive Coordinator. Period.

I thought Bob Goin did a good job handling the Minter dismissal. There was no drama. We were moving up to the Big East and Minter wasn't going to be the guy who could take us there. Minter did his job, he was a serviceable coach. He set the foundation Mark Dantonio would build off of.

When I lived down near Huntington, WV, Minter was the DC for Mark Snyder at Marshall. Mark Snyder, like Minter, is a DC (also from OSU) and not really cut-out to be a Head Coach. Snyder got canned after the regular season was over and Minter coached Marshall in their Bowl game...ironically in Detroit. The players really lobbied for Minter to get at least interviewed for the permanent position but the rumors were that Minter refused to be considered. I think Rick learned something from his time here and put it to good use in his later career. He's just not a major college HC... And that's good for him.

I never heard Minter say a bad thing about UC or his time here. He didn't throw a fit at his dismissal and he went on to do what he did best...coach Defense.

07-24-2021 10:38 AM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(07-24-2021 10:07 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
01-ncaabbs

Good guy (Ridder) get additional training from two more good guys (Mannings Bros.).

07-24-2021 10:40 AM
bearcat_df Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-24-2021 10:38 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Minter reached his ceiling as a Head Coach here. I think...I hope...over time, most Bearcat fans will look at his 9 seasons with some thankfulness: he took the momentum established by Tim Murphy (who also is a mostly unsung hero who saved the program) and turned "winning" into an expectation, not an exception. But he reached his plateau as a head coach...not everyone is cut-out to be a Head Coach. Minter is a Defensive Coordinator. Period.

I thought Bob Goin did a good job handling the Minter dismissal. There was no drama. We were moving up to the Big East and Minter wasn't going to be the guy who could take us there. Minter did his job, he was a serviceable coach. He set the foundation Mark Dantonio would build off of.

When I lived down near Huntington, WV, Minter was the DC for Mark Snyder at Marshall. Mark Snyder, like Minter, is a DC (also from OSU) and not really cut-out to be a Head Coach. Snyder got canned after the regular season was over and Minter coached Marshall in their Bowl game...ironically in Detroit. The players really lobbied for Minter to get at least interviewed for the permanent position but the rumors were that Minter refused to be considered. I think Rick learned something from his time here and put it to good use in his later career. He's just not a major college HC... And that's good for him.

I never heard Minter say a bad thing about UC or his time here. He didn't throw a fit at his dismissal and he went on to do what he did best...coach Defense.

Fully agree. One of the puzzles about Minter was that he was not able to keep assistant coaches. I don't know if it was his leadership style or the nature of his tenure - unlike Dantonio, Kelly and Jones, who were ambitious coaches looking to move up -- Minter for family reasons was content to stay at UC. (Fickell is an interesting mix - ambitious, but not eager to move to a "bigger" program; assistant coaches are confident to hitch their futures to his, and he likes Cincy for family reasons).

I'm curious how much of that turnover in assistant coaches played into what frustrated me the most about Minter's tenure - the preventable mistakes (penalties and turnovers) that led to the inconsistency in performance.

07-24-2021 11:25 AM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(07-24-2021 11:25 AM)bearcat_df Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 10:38 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Fully agree. One of the puzzles about Minter was that he was not able to keep assistant coaches. I don't know if it was his leadership style or the nature of his tenure - unlike Dantonio, Kelly and Jones, who were ambitious coaches looking to move up -- Minter for family reasons was content to stay at UC. (Fickell is an interesting mix - ambitious, but not eager to move to a "bigger" program; assistant coaches are confident to hitch their futures to his, and he likes Cincy for family reasons).

I'm curious how much of that turnover in assistant coaches played into what frustrated me the most about Minter's tenure - the preventable mistakes (penalties and turnovers) that led to the inconsistency in performance.

From what I have read/heard about Minter as HC...he went through Assistants fast because he was a micromanager and wouldn't let assistants have a say in decision making.

07-24-2021 11:33 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(07-24-2021 11:33 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  [
From what I have read/heard about Minter as HC...he went through Assistants fast because he was a micromanager and wouldn't let assistants have a say in decision making.

I've heard this too and I don't doubt it's a big part of it but his assistants also left for bigger and better jobs. I think Rick's best coaching attribute was identifying talented assistants.

07-24-2021 11:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(07-24-2021 11:37 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I've heard this too and I don't doubt it's a big part of it but his assistants also left for bigger and better jobs. I think Rick's best coaching attribute was identifying talented assistants.

I don't know if that's the case.

Here's a list of the first jobs the coordinators held after leaving UC:

Defensive Coordinators
Mike Cassity - 94 - DB coach at Wisconsin
Tim Rose - 95 - DC at Minnesota
Rex Ryan - 96,97 - DC at Oklahoma
Kim Dameron - 98 - DB coach with Toronto Argonauts
Rick Smith - 99,00 - DB/Recruiting coordinator at Kentucky
A. J. Christoff - 01, 02 - DC at Stanford

Offensive Coordinators:
Dana Bible - 94 - OC at Stanford
Greg Seamon - 95,96,97,98 - OC at Miami (OH)
Jimbo Fisher - 99 - OC at LSU
Joe Daniels - 00 - QB coach at Ohio State
Dave Baldwin - 01 - OC at Baylor

(the coordinators in 03 were fired along with Minter)

Of those 11, 5 are clear promotions (Ryan, Christoff, Bible, Jimbo, and Baldwin)

4 are debatable. Tim Rose is debatable because it was Minnesota head coach Jim Wacker's lame duck 5th year. Rose did get a DC job at BC the next year, but he left that job after 2 years and never coached in a power conference again.

Cassity, Smith, and Daniels are debatable. Is a position coach at Wisconsin or Ohio State a promotion? Is the recruiting coordinator/DB coach at UK a promotion? Cassity ended up being DC at Baylor and Oklahoma State for 4 years, but the other 2 never got a better job after leaving UC.

2 are clear demotions (Seamon and Dameron, OC at Miami and position coach in the CFL).

Also the 3 coordinators in 2003 never had a job better than coordinator at UC. Rusty Burns became OC at SMU and is now an analyst at TCU. Mark Criner became DC at MTSU and is now the LB coach at Southern Miss. Mike Kolakowski became DC at Youngstown State and is now co-DC at D-2 University of Findlay.

Minter had some home-run hires (Jimbo, Rex Ryan, 27-year-old Mike Tomlin as DB coach). But he also had some a lot of lousy hires whose careers went downhill after leaving UC.

07-26-2021 05:44 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(07-26-2021 05:44 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(07-24-2021 11:37 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

I don't know if that's the case.

Here's a list of the first jobs the coordinators held after leaving UC:

Defensive Coordinators
Mike Cassity - 94 - DB coach at Wisconsin
Tim Rose - 95 - DC at Minnesota
Rex Ryan - 96,97 - DC at Oklahoma
Kim Dameron - 98 - DB coach with Toronto Argonauts
Rick Smith - 99,00 - DB/Recruiting coordinator at Kentucky
A. J. Christoff - 01, 02 - DC at Stanford

Offensive Coordinators:
Dana Bible - 94 - OC at Stanford
Greg Seamon - 95,96,97,98 - OC at Miami (OH)
Jimbo Fisher - 99 - OC at LSU
Joe Daniels - 00 - QB coach at Ohio State
Dave Baldwin - 01 - OC at Baylor

(the coordinators in 03 were fired along with Minter)

Of those 11, 5 are clear promotions (Ryan, Christoff, Bible, Jimbo, and Baldwin)

4 are debatable. Tim Rose is debatable because it was Minnesota head coach Jim Wacker's lame duck 5th year. Rose did get a DC job at BC the next year, but he left that job after 2 years and never coached in a power conference again.

Cassity, Smith, and Daniels are debatable. Is a position coach at Wisconsin or Ohio State a promotion? Is the recruiting coordinator/DB coach at UK a promotion? Cassity ended up being DC at Baylor and Oklahoma State for 4 years, but the other 2 never got a better job after leaving UC.

2 are clear demotions (Seamon and Dameron, OC at Miami and position coach in the CFL).

Also the 3 coordinators in 2003 never had a job better than coordinator at UC. Rusty Burns became OC at SMU and is now an analyst at TCU. Mark Criner became DC at MTSU and is now the LB coach at Southern Miss. Mike Kolakowski became DC at Youngstown State and is now co-DC at D-2 University of Findlay.

Minter had some home-run hires (Jimbo, Rex Ryan, 27-year-old Mike Tomlin as DB coach). But he also had some a lot of lousy hires whose careers went downhill after leaving UC.
He had three assistant coaching hires that ended up with head coaching jobs in the NFL. He had another who has a college football championship as a head coach. I doubt many moderately success coaches at mediocre programs can say that.

07-26-2021 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.