Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reason CFB games are longer than NFL
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: Reason CFB games are longer than NFL
Agree that time for commercials needs to be cut. TV networks need to get creative. The younger generation is getting used to the idea that you can pay for add-free content through streaming services and I believe that day is coming for live sports too.

One idea that may be coming is that viewers can choose 2 different types of live viewing experiences. One where the viewer pays to watch a comercial free live game that has no delays for commercials. While somebody else can watch the same game for free but will miss a small amount of live plays while commercials are shown instead.
04-23-2021 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
Why does anything need to change as far as rule of play. If they could shorten or get rid of media timeouts, that would help. Whenever I saw the media guy walk out onto the field, my blood boils a little bit more.
04-24-2021 08:35 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-24-2021 08:35 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  Why does anything need to change as far as rule of play. If they could shorten or get rid of media timeouts, that would help. Whenever I saw the media guy walk out onto the field, my blood boils a little bit more.

You mean the guys who pay for it all?
04-26-2021 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Too many TV timeouts in CFB & NFL. My only gripe when I'm in attendance at football games. Seems like 5 minutes can go by w/ only 1 minute of play. & it's not even when a team is in the red-zone or an injury. It feels like it's 'just because'. People talk about speeding up MLB games, I get more annoyed at all the commercial breaks in football.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021 09:10 AM by Bronco'14.)
04-28-2021 09:08 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

Another reason CFB games are longer is because more scoring. That increases amount of stoppage time between plays too.

Seems like typical NFL game is 21-17 or something like that, when college has more blowouts & it seems rare when the winning team doesn't hit at least 40.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2021 09:13 AM by Bronco'14.)
04-28-2021 09:11 AM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(04-26-2021 07:00 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 08:35 AM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  Why does anything need to change as far as rule of play. If they could shorten or get rid of media timeouts, that would help. Whenever I saw the media guy walk out onto the field, my blood boils a little bit more.

You mean the guys who pay for it all?

People complain about CFP making too much money, yet when someone mentions shortening media timeouts, you want to defend them.

Which is it?
04-29-2021 09:37 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-28-2021 09:11 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Another reason CFB games are longer is because more scoring. That increases amount of stoppage time between plays too.

Seems like typical NFL game is 21-17 or something like that, when college has more blowouts & it seems rare when the winning team doesn't hit at least 40.

Bronco,

That is a good point. There is usually a TV timeout after the PAT or 2 point play. Scoring is up and more passes with incomplete passes is probably slowing it down.
Maybe they could show in game ads in part of screen - maybe like NASCAR? to keep the TV timeout on change of possession to a minimum.
04-29-2021 09:50 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

Breaks after scoring not much you can do b/c it gives teams time to rest if they had just got off the field.

But I've seen them have Injury Timeouts & then go right to a Media Timeout. It's absolutely ridiculous when that happens.

(04-29-2021 09:50 AM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  
(04-28-2021 09:11 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Another reason CFB games are longer is because more scoring. That increases amount of stoppage time between plays too.

Bronco,

That is a good point. There is usually a TV timeout after the PAT or 2 point play. Scoring is up and more passes with incomplete passes is probably slowing it down.
Maybe they could show in game ads in part of screen - maybe like NASCAR? to keep the TV timeout on change of possession to a minimum.

They're doing that during NHL games too. Great idea to do that during CFB (& NFL) games too. That'd help some for sure.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021 10:37 AM by Bronco'14.)
04-29-2021 10:32 AM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
Honestly, I'm annoyed to hear that it's that close between the two.

Unless it's the Super Bowl or something like Thanksgiving Day games, there's no reason NFL games should take as long as they do on a regular basis, as they literally are just playing a matchup between two teams who (outside of division matchups) only see each other every few years.

College games, on the other hand, include much more to the game than just what's happening on the field. There's pre-game traditions (campus walks & things like Howard's Rock or Chief Osceola), marching bands playing after each score & halftime, post game chants & fight songs, Homecoming & Senior Days, & other things unique to playing at the college level that honestly make longer games something I'd expect.
04-29-2021 12:12 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

I don't think the difference is scoring is that large. The NFL median points per team per game last season was 24.8. For teams in the SEC, the median points per team per game last season was 26.2, and in the Big 12 the median was 29.6.
04-29-2021 02:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.