Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hayden Koval commits final year to Cincinnati
Bookmark and Share
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
RE: Hayden Koval commits final year to Cincinnati
(04-23-2021 07:56 AM)eroc Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 09:07 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 07:49 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I can see a Socon Championship in our future.

Good thing after Houston this conference is essentially no better.

Honest ask since i didn't watch the SoCon but how would Memphis and WSU fared in that league by your estimation?

Our top 4 would have been the best four teams in the SoCon. Their top 7 compare fairly evenly to to middle of our conference. Their bottom 3 are pretty comparable to our bottom 3. It's a quality mid major.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2021 08:16 AM by bearcatmark.)
04-23-2021 08:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I believe the top of the SoCon is comparable to upper half of the American. Generally their top 3 teams could probably finish 2-6 in the American.

The league is better then the MAC, IVY, and CAA which are all good mid-majors. The Missouri Valley and C-USA are good comparisons. Not at the level of Mountain West or A-10 but probably not that far off.

Generally the Horizon league is at the bottom third of all conferences. Basically the best of the low majors. The SoCon is usually at the top of mid-majors after all the power conference and high majors.

04-23-2021 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-22-2021 07:49 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I can see a Socon Championship in our future.

Not sure I agree with that take.

Houston's FF team didn't win the conference regular season race; WSU did and earned a bid too. And Memphis was playing their best basketball to close out the season and appeared pretty dominant in winning the NIT Championship. A (much needed) high profile year for American basketball when it was all said and done. I'm certain the Southern has never matched that level of achievement in conference history.

04-23-2021 08:21 AM
bearcatmark Online

(04-23-2021 08:21 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Not sure I agree with that take.

Houston's FF team didn't win the conference regular season race; WSU did and earned a bid too. And Memphis was playing their best basketball to close out the season and appeared pretty dominant in winning the NIT Championship. A (much needed) high profile year for American basketball when it was all said and done. I'm certain the Southern has never matched that level of achievement in conference history.

It's definitely an exaggeration. Their top teams are closer to our middle teams but it's still a solid conference.

04-23-2021 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
UC needs bodies and this addition is adequate. Frankly, I think the most valuable thing he can add is that he knows what's expected of him and can help the adjustment process for everybody else on the roster.

Still need more big guys.

04-23-2021 10:16 AM
bearcatmark Online

(04-23-2021 10:16 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  UC needs bodies and this addition is adequate. Frankly, I think the most valuable thing he can add is that he knows what's expected of him and can help the adjustment process for everybody else on the roster.

He's a 7 footer who can finish around the rim, make free throws, make jumpers and protect the rim. He's the definition of a need filler. He isn't a very good rebounder for his size, but neither was the guy he was replacing. Hopefully we find a couple other bigs, but this guy is ready to play and will help us a ton.

04-23-2021 10:20 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2021 10:16 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  UC needs bodies and this addition is adequate. Frankly, I think the most valuable thing he can add is that he knows what's expected of him and can help the adjustment process for everybody else on the roster.

Quality bigs are going to be hard to come by, unfortunately. If we have to take a flyer on someone who doesn't have high-major experience, I prefer it to be a one-year rental like Koval. I'd rather play small than reach for bigs (especially those we'd be stuck with for multiple seasons) who may or may not be capable of playing in the AAC. Baylor won it all with a starting lineup of 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, 6-5, and 6-10. I hope we do find one or two quality bigs, but if not, I'll take the best wings available over marginal bigs.

04-23-2021 10:21 AM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-22-2021 08:47 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  While Vogt wasn't really someone who "pushed around" people on the inside, he outweighs Koval by 40 pounds. This may be the main reason why this kids' just an ok rebounder for his height. Probably gets outmuscled a lot by thicker dudes. Season best was 8 rebounds in 1 game.

Vogt used to weight a lot more but he lost about 40 pounds in his senior season and was shoved aroiund a lot under the basket. Vogt was very ineffective underneath last season.

04-23-2021 10:23 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

To add to the above, Koval is a solid addition given our situation, his relationship with our coach/his system, and his skillset.

04-23-2021 10:23 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2021 10:23 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(04-22-2021 08:47 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  While Vogt wasn't really someone who "pushed around" people on the inside, he outweighs Koval by 40 pounds. This may be the main reason why this kids' just an ok rebounder for his height. Probably gets outmuscled a lot by thicker dudes. Season best was 8 rebounds in 1 game.

Vogt used to weight a lot more but he lost about 40 pounds in his senior season and was shoved aroiund a lot under the basket. Vogt was very ineffective underneath last season.

Yeah, unfortunately he lost a lot of his muscle mass after the shoulder injury. I'm guessing he wasn't able to lift much after that happened. If Vogt had stayed healthy both years, I think the narrative around him among our fanbase would be a lot different.

04-23-2021 10:25 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

7'1" and 220 lbs? Man, that makes me look like Chris Farley in comparison.

04-23-2021 11:21 AM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
We need a banger for sure. A guy that plays above his size. That's Cincinnati brand basketball.

Danny Fortson
Eric Martin
Bobby Brannen
Jason Maxiell
Eric Hicks
Gary Clark

Davenport is showing some potential.

04-23-2021 11:22 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(04-23-2021 11:22 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  We need a banger for sure. A guy that plays above his size. That's Cincinnati brand basketball.

Danny Fortson
Eric Martin
Bobby Brannen
Jason Maxiell
Eric Hicks
Gary Clark

Herb Jones has to be on that list.

04-23-2021 11:54 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(04-23-2021 11:54 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 11:22 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  We need a banger for sure. A guy that plays above his size. That's Cincinnati brand basketball.

Danny Fortson
Eric Martin
Bobby Brannen
Jason Maxiell
Eric Hicks
Gary Clark

Herb Jones has to be on that list.

Is there a Cedric Glover, Jr. somewhere in the high school ranks?

04-23-2021 11:57 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
alright, more people

04-23-2021 12:28 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

(04-22-2021 09:33 PM)BomberMan Wrote:  Decent pickup. He does need to learn to spell his new team name, however!

You mention that and instinctively I go back up to see how he’d spelled ‘Cincinnati’. Surprisingly got that one right.

04-23-2021 03:49 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

(04-23-2021 12:28 PM)Lush Wrote:  alright, more people

[Image: 236i2a.jpg]

04-24-2021 09:08 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(04-24-2021 09:08 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(04-23-2021 12:28 PM)Lush Wrote:  alright, more people

[Image: 236i2a.jpg]

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son.

04-24-2021 10:11 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Interesting wrinkle, but under the new transfer rules, Koval is going to have to obtain a waiver for him to be immediately eligible this season since he already transferred once under the Covid Waiver, and that transfer would also apply to the one-time transfer rule.

04-29-2021 08:08 AM
bearcatmark Online

(04-29-2021 08:08 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Interesting wrinkle, but under the new transfer rules, Koval is going to have to obtain a waiver for him to be immediately eligible this season since he already transferred once under the Covid Waiver, and that transfer would also apply to the one-time transfer rule.

Optimistic he'd get one, but that is a huge wrinkle because he's the only big on the damn roster.

04-29-2021 08:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.