Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

W&M to A 10. Makes sense
Bookmark and Share
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: W&M to A 10. Makes sense
Probably makes more sense to look at mean or maybe even median spending over 10 years to understand temporary blips in accounting.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2021 08:44 AM by nogretheogre.)
04-20-2021 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billymac Offline
Heisman

We talked about this before. There was a big jump in spending for MBB, under Ms Huge. Before that we were not close to that number, traditionally in the bottom 3-4 teams of the CAA in spending. A very small snapshot can always give you a misreading of the situation. Hopefully, we will continue to more strongly allocate to the program going forward.
04-20-2021 08:46 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(04-20-2021 08:46 AM)billymac Wrote:  We talked about this before. There was a big jump in spending for MBB, under Ms Huge. Before that we were not close to that number, traditionally in the bottom 3-4 teams of the CAA in spending. A very small snapshot can always give you a misreading of the situation. Hopefully, we will continue to more strongly allocate to the program going forward.

Exactly and why I stated it how I did (I know paying 2 coaches has a major impact currently). For some perspective same list from data from 2016:

Dayton- 5.64M
VCU- 6.1M
Fordham- 4.44M
Richmond- 4.88M
George Mason- 3.52M
W&M- 2.07M
ODU- 3.63M
GW- 2.94M
Liberty- 2.86M
CofC- 2.42M
JMU- 2.91M

W&M was only ahead of Towson and Elon in spending. JMU was 2nd in the CAA then.
04-20-2021 11:06 AM
TribeDeac Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-18-2021 05:40 AM)Tribe757 Wrote:  I am curious why WM fans think the A10 is such a reach

Our oldest rival in in the conference. 2 recent CAA teams are in the conference

Have we sunken that low that we want to play in a conference w NO tv coverage

2 other state schools in the conference. Let me say that again. 2 basically spin offs of WM are in the conference. Same tax payers. Remember when Warner mandated that Va Texh be invited in the ACC

This should be doable. Anyone remember great VCU games w fans? We have watched ODU VCU GMU UR all make strides. Lets not wait firm JMU to leave and then hope we can get a home and home w CNU
05-08-2021 09:32 AM
TribeDeac Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
You have to be invited into new conferences. Davidson, Richmond, and VCU have advanced deep into the NCAA tournament multiple times in basketball. Hard to see what WM brings to the A10. Small TV market, recent history of athletic challenges, don't know what we have that is attractive.
05-08-2021 09:35 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Your administration is far more likely to want to move W&M to D-II than do what it takes to get you to the A-10. And this is transparent to anyone "in the know" when it comes to W&M's inner circle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one. You guys deserve better.
05-08-2021 10:23 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(05-08-2021 10:23 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Your administration is far more likely to want to move W&M to D-II than do what it takes to get you to the A-10. And this is transparent to anyone "in the know" when it comes to W&M's inner circle.

Anyone "in the know" knows that W&M makes athletic decisions based on its desire to maintain a Division I football program. Division II is the last place W&M would go; the Tribe would go Div. III before it would go Div. II.
05-08-2021 11:00 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(05-08-2021 10:23 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Your administration is far more likely to want to move W&M to D-II than do what it takes to get you to the A-10. And this is transparent to anyone "in the know" when it comes to W&M's inner circle.

President Rowe understands the benefit of supporting MBB and IMO is committed to providing the financial resources for W&M to be successful.

Thou mishandled badly by Huge, the decision to move past Shaver to Fischer showed the willingness to spend $$ on MBB based on the payout that Shaver got and the contract Fischer received. Regardless of your love for Tony, the message when this decision was done two years ago was MBB is the top priority of Tribe Athletics to be successful along with football.

We need to let the dust settle and give Fischer time to have his players and systems implemented. IMO, the College expectation is for MBB to play in the NCAA tourney multiple times as a CAA member, then this topic will be more timely in 3-5 years.
05-08-2021 11:06 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(05-08-2021 11:00 AM)Zorch Wrote:  

Anyone "in the know" knows that W&M makes athletic decisions based on its desire to maintain a Division I football program. Division II is the last place W&M would go; the Tribe would go Div. III before it would go Div. II.

Tell that to your administration. Just passing along what I've been told by trusted sources.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2021 05:35 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
05-08-2021 05:34 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2021 05:34 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-08-2021 11:00 AM)Zorch Wrote:  Anyone "in the know" knows that W&M makes athletic decisions based on its desire to maintain a Division I football program. Division II is the last place W&M would go; the Tribe would go Div. III before it would go Div. II.

Tell that to your administration. Just passing along what I've been told by trusted sources.

You would have had a better argument if you had said D-3. We do, at times, handle ourselves much like an ODAC program. However, D-2 is, well, crazy talk.

There are only two conferences in the region in D-II, the CIAA (Virginia State & Virginia Union, etc.) and the Mountain East (West Virginia schools, Fairmont State, Shepard College, etc.), which of those does your "trusted source" think we are going to join??

Sometimes you need to stop and consider who it is you are trusting...
05-08-2021 06:01 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(05-08-2021 06:01 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(05-08-2021 05:34 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-08-2021 11:00 AM)Zorch Wrote:  Anyone "in the know" knows that W&M makes athletic decisions based on its desire to maintain a Division I football program. Division II is the last place W&M would go; the Tribe would go Div. III before it would go Div. II.

You would have had a better argument if you had said D-3. We do, at times, handle ourselves much like an ODAC program. However, D-2 is, well, crazy talk.

There are only two conferences in the region in D-II, the CIAA (Virginia State & Virginia Union, etc.) and the Mountain East (West Virginia schools, Fairmont State, Shepard College, etc.), which of those does your "trusted source" think we are going to join??

Sometimes you need to stop and consider who it is you are trusting...

Oooh. I bet that left a mark.
05-09-2021 08:49 PM
TribeFan1983 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wm & Mary
La Salle is dropping baseball after this year. Is there any way the the Tribe could seize the opportunity and switch to the A10 at least in that sport? With a minor realignment, the A10 Baseball South then would include GWU, VCU, Richmond, Geo. Mason, W&M & Davidson.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2021 08:28 AM by TribeFan1983.)
05-10-2021 08:27 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(05-10-2021 08:27 AM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  La Salle is dropping baseball after this year. Is there any way the the Tribe could seize the opportunity and switch to the A10 at least in that sport? With a minor realignment, the A10 Baseball South then would include GWU, VCU, Richmond, Geo. Mason, W&M & Davidson.

If the CAA sponsors it, I believe we're required to compete in it. The only exception is for non scholarship versions (eg, Morehead State plays non scholarship football, so they compete in the Pioneer League, even though their primary conference, the OVC, also offers football)
05-10-2021 08:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.