Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 RECRUITING
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
2021 RECRUITING
Three Early signed recruits:

5-10 G. Sullinger from Columbus was a second team All-State. Because of his size the jury is out on his true ability to score at the D1 level.

6-6 Rollins from Chicago is somewhat of an enigma. His HS team - which by all accounts was loaded w/talent - was only allowed to play league games where it was a clear dominant power. It had no non-conference games and was not allowed in the state tournament. On top of that, Rollins was apparently injured to start the season.

It seems like he came off the bench, but still proved to be one of the teams leading scorers. There also seems to be a sense his 3-point shooting was greatly improved from the past. Still, based on level of competition, there are questions.

6-9 Hornbeak looks to be a project, albeit a promising one. He was 16-years-old when he committed, meaning a lot of room for growth/improvement. He's listed at 250-pounds, but seems to be losing weight. His HS team was not very good and his production was up and down. In a perfect world Hornbeak would be a redshirt, but rarely does a MM recruit with his size get that opportunity.

After that, verbal commits lists several HS/juco players being recruited by Kent, but there is no way of knowing how hard the staff is targeting one player or players over another.

As a casual fan, it seems Kent could use a quality/experienced 6-6 wing that can score, and a solid/sizable experienced post player who can defend and score at least enough to keep the opposition honest. Both seem to point to players either in the transfer portal and/or juco talent.
04-16-2021 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: 2021 RECRUITING
Probably a little early to speculate about redshirts, but mid majors used to red shirt guys a lot more before the grad transfer rule. The year you're saving could just be for someone else so why do it? It'll be interesting to see how the new rules affect that. Might bring back more redshirting of freshmen at mid majors.
04-16-2021 09:09 PM
luckyflash Online
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
Red shirting will be a thing of the past, unless injury or academics are involved. No way a kid sticks around for a year to watch and practice, when he can transfer at anytime.
04-17-2021 10:14 AM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(04-17-2021 10:14 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  Red shirting will be a thing of the past, unless injury or academics are involved. No way a kid sticks around for a year to watch and practice, when he can transfer at anytime.

You definitely could be right. I could also see where if a freshman doesn't look like he'll play a big role early on the coaches will believe they'll have an easier time convincing him to stay for year two if he's redshirted instead of riding the bench.
04-17-2021 11:14 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-17-2021 11:14 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(04-17-2021 10:14 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  Red shirting will be a thing of the past, unless injury or academics are involved. No way a kid sticks around for a year to watch and practice, when he can transfer at anytime.

You definitely could be right. I could also see where if a freshman doesn't look like he'll play a big role early on the coaches will believe they'll have an easier time convincing him to stay for year two if he's redshirted instead of riding the bench.

I agree with this, particularly if it was part of the pitch during the recruiting process. The key would be having a veteran coach in place with a proven winning record. And perhaps some former redshirts in from of him/them.

Currently, Hernandez and VCD seem to be the positive and negative to this argument. The plus is, with the 'free' year, VCD is a freshman again with some court experience.

Has anybody heard anything about off-season workouts/conditioning/open gyms.
04-17-2021 11:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.