Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New MBB Coaching Thread (Assistant Coach)
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: New MBB Coaching Thread (Assistant Coach)
I'd bet that we MAYBE get one assistant on staff who is an alum and the rest will be REALLY good from other areas.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 05:51 PM by KPJ.)
04-14-2021 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Heath also said he'd like to recruit locally. There is so much talent that can be molded here in Michigan. I hope he hits metro Detroit HARD and don't forget the suburbs. Let's get everyone involved: Detroit, Canton, Romulus, Plymouth, Birmingham, Clarkston, Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and of course, Des Moines.
04-14-2021 05:55 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(04-14-2021 05:47 PM)KPJ Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 04:59 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 02:42 PM)masttg Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 02:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  In a,radio interview it souneed like Heath knows the staff he wants to hire and is just going through the administrative process. I am thinking next week we will have an announcement of staff.

He mentioned Earl several times during the press conference....

It could be Cofield and Boykins here's the problem they don't have any recruiting connections either. Boykins at least might be familiar with NCAA recruiting rules. Not sure about Fred. Stan needs at least one experienced assistant on board is that Mondro or someone else he wants?

Not challenging you here, but genuinely curious. How do you know that neither have any recruiting connections?

One is,a NBA scout how many AAU or high school or junior colleges games do you think he attends and still do his current job? Ditto how much direct contact do you think a director of basketball operation has with recruits? So my question to you is what makes you think they do have recruiting connections or even have knowledge of NCAA regulations governing the same? Just curious.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021 07:21 PM by emu79.)
04-14-2021 07:20 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(04-14-2021 07:20 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 05:47 PM)KPJ Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 04:59 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 02:42 PM)masttg Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 02:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  In a,radio interview it souneed like Heath knows the staff he wants to hire and is just going through the administrative process. I am thinking next week we will have an announcement of staff.

He mentioned Earl several times during the press conference....

It could be Cofield and Boykins here's the problem they don't have any recruiting connections either. Boykins at least might be familiar with NCAA recruiting rules. Not sure about Fred. Stan needs at least one experienced assistant on board is that Mondro or someone else he wants?

Not challenging you here, but genuinely curious. How do you know that neither have any recruiting connections?

One is,a NBA scout how many AAU or high school or junior colleges games do you think he attends and still do his current job? Ditto how much direct contact do you think a director of basketball operation has with recruits? So my question to you is what makes you think they do have recruiting connections or even have knowledge of NCAA regulations governing the same? Just curious.

All fair questions. Basketball is a brotherhood. You don’t become a NBA scout without deep relationships that can open doors for you. I announce the Ypsilanti Community High School games and have seen Fred in attendance. So I know he makes it out to HS games. Plus the NBA has people watching these kids at a very young age. So I’m sure their are relationships that are built.
04-14-2021 08:15 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(04-14-2021 05:51 PM)KPJ Wrote:  I'd bet that we MAYBE get one assistant on staff who is an alum and the rest will be REALLY good from other areas.

I agree with your thoughts.

Heath has been in the business so long that he knows and has worked with coaches all over the eastern third of the country.

Most recently he has worked at BC, S. Fl and Arkansas. One could assume coaches from anywhere in the eastern time zone.

His best recent contacts seem to be New England (working at Boston College) and Florida from his time at S. Florida and Lakeland of the G-League.

As far as a recruiting coach, Wooten was working the N.E. Preps while Heath was at BC. Who knows????

As far as the assoc HC, I'd guess someone from the Midwest, New England or even FL.
04-17-2021 06:23 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(04-17-2021 06:23 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 05:51 PM)KPJ Wrote:  I'd bet that we MAYBE get one assistant on staff who is an alum and the rest will be REALLY good from other areas.

Heath has been in the business so long that he knows and has worked with coaches all over the eastern third of the country.

Most recently he has worked at BC, S. Fl and Arkansas. One could assume coaches from anywhere in the eastern time zone.

His best recent contacts seem to be New England (working at Boston College) and Florida from his time at S. Florida and Lakeland of the G-League.

As far as a recruiting coach, Wooten was working the N.E. Preps while Heath was at BC. Who knows????

As far as the assoc HC, I'd guess someone from the Midwest, New England or even FL.
Or...you could have pride in your alma mater.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/hubert-dav.../19628440/
04-17-2021 07:02 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-17-2021 07:02 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(04-17-2021 06:23 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Or...you could have pride in your alma mater.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/hubert-dav.../19628440/

Bob, our AD took our top talent from the EMU coach tree, Heath, and hired him.

Next up is the assoc HC. Does Neely, Boykins, etc. have the resume?

Do they have the resume for the next seat? (I think they do). I don't think anyone here wouldn't like to see Boykins on the bench. Neely too assuming he wants to give up the security he has at WSU.

Ch. Thomas would have to give up the security of working for Dambrot and take a pay cut to come home.

The big question is will Heath bring back Wooten. Folks here may remember that Wooten was a prep coach in N.Y. and Mass. while Heath was at BC. They have to know each other, etc. etc.

The way I see the dominos falling: HC (Heath), next assoc HC, next 'recruiting' coach, and then the third ass't coach.

I think Boykins, Neely, etc could be candidates for that third asst coach position.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2021 07:20 AM by emu steve.)
04-17-2021 07:15 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

In this unstable world, people are craving stability and familiarity. Woodson and Fife at Indiana, UNC's entire basketball operation, Juwann Howard at Michigan, etc. Basketball rosters are going to turnover yearly, the one thing that can remain constant is the coaching staff that can maintain the school's tradition and identity. Look for Heath to seize on this fact and bring at minimum, Neely or Boykins home.
04-17-2021 09:22 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I'm assuming that Coach Heath laid out his program plan to Wetherbee in the interview. Hiring a staff would have been primary in this endeavor and I am sure the AD gave him guidelines on the dollars available to do so.

Stan has been around long enough to know what he truly needs in assistants. I would love an alum, but when you hire a veteran coach, you stay out of his way and let him do the job.
04-17-2021 06:06 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I hope we get assistants named this week.
04-19-2021 06:05 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(04-17-2021 06:06 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I'm assuming that Coach Heath laid out his program plan to Wetherbee in the interview. Hiring a staff would have been primary in this endeavor and I am sure the AD gave him guidelines on the dollars available to do so.

Stan has been around long enough to know what he truly needs in assistants. I would love an alum, but when you hire a veteran coach, you stay out of his way and let him do the job.

I'd like to see him take a flyer on a young guy on the staff. Heath is experienced enough that he doesn't need a mentor. He can BE a mentor.
04-19-2021 08:33 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-19-2021 08:33 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-17-2021 06:06 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I'm assuming that Coach Heath laid out his program plan to Wetherbee in the interview. Hiring a staff would have been primary in this endeavor and I am sure the AD gave him guidelines on the dollars available to do so.

I'd like to see him take a flyer on a young guy on the staff. Heath is experienced enough that he doesn't need a mentor. He can BE a mentor.

The typical arrangement is HC, veteran for assoc HC, and perhaps younger coach and a coach who would be expected to be a good recruiter.

That is what we had: Murphy, Mondro (assoc hc), and then Mike Brown and Benny White.

As I understand it, Brown and White were the two recruiting coaches.

The HC is the 'closer' - he isn't the starter or long relief man, but closes the deal when the recruits are on campus and looking for a commit.

I would expect an assoc. HC this week.

Don't know how the decision making will be done on the other two coaches. Will the assoc HC be part of the decision making process? Does Heath want help because he (Heath) had been out of college ball for 4 years?

As far as H.S. and JUCO recruits, no one burned the scouting reports. Everything that Cline, Wooten, and Harvey did is available to Heath.

Heath can treat scouting reports like he treats resumes and applications for the open coaching positions. If Drew is still part of the team, he acts as a staff assistant who helps the HC with the type of work staff assistants do (they facilitate).
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 08:53 AM by emu steve.)
04-19-2021 08:51 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-19-2021 08:51 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

The typical arrangement is HC, veteran for assoc HC, and perhaps younger coach and a coach who would be expected to be a good recruiter.

That is what we had: Murphy, Mondro (assoc hc), and then Mike Brown and Benny White.

The HC is the 'closer' - he isn't the starter or long relief man, but closes the deal when the recruits are on campus and looking for a commit.

Don't know how the decision making will be done on the other two coaches. Will the assoc HC be part of the decision making process? Does Heath want help because he (Heath) had been out of college ball for 4 years?

As far as H.S. and JUCO recruits, no one burned the scouting reports. Everything that Cline, Wooten, and Harvey did is available to Heath.

Heath can treat scouting reports like he treats resumes and applications for the open coaching positions. If Drew is still part of the team, he acts as a staff assistant who helps the HC with the type of work staff assistants do (they facilitate).

they should hire bronk to asssit
04-19-2021 09:46 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-19-2021 09:46 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Are you serious? Why would Bronk do it?
04-19-2021 11:31 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-19-2021 11:31 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

similar money - gets his foot in the div I door
04-19-2021 12:04 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-19-2021 12:04 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 08:33 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  I'd like to see him take a flyer on a young guy on the staff. Heath is experienced enough that he doesn't need a mentor. He can BE a mentor.

Surely you mean MSU, not EMU.

Okay, I'll take the bait. Never move for similar money. The only way he would move D-I is assoc HC or HC and at say 150K as Assoc HD and maybe 250K or more as HC.

I don't know what a G-League HC makes, but I'd be shocked if Heath took a pay cut to come to EMU. My guess is that he got to come back home and a pay raise.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 01:40 PM by emu steve.)
04-19-2021 01:38 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

According to glass door Bronk makes about 80k without incentives as head coach at Ferris St
04-19-2021 01:44 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-19-2021 01:38 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 12:04 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 08:51 AM)emu steve Wrote:  The typical arrangement is HC, veteran for assoc HC, and perhaps younger coach and a coach who would be expected to be a good recruiter.

Surely you mean MSU, not EMU.

Okay, I'll take the bait. Never move for similar money. The only way he would move D-I is assoc HC or HC and at say 150K as Assoc HD and maybe 250K or more as HC.

I don't know what a G-League HC makes, but I'd be shocked if Heath took a pay cut to come to EMU. My guess is that he got to come back home and a pay raise.

we can agree to disagree about whether or not taking a lateral move money wise to better position yourself for a promotion down the line is a good or bad idea
04-19-2021 02:07 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-19-2021 01:44 PM)emu79 Wrote:  According to glass door Bronk makes about 80k without incentives as head coach at Ferris St

If I were he I'd want to move up but to a school which can pay more than we do.

Now, if this was the CMU board, and they could offer say 150K, let's have the discussion.

Moving from Ferris to CMU is an easy move.

I would also want to know if we wants to be in S.E. Michigan. He seems like a western Michigan guy all the way. McBain, Big Rapids, etc.
04-19-2021 02:13 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(04-19-2021 02:13 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 01:44 PM)emu79 Wrote:  According to glass door Bronk makes about 80k without incentives as head coach at Ferris St

If I were he I'd want to move up but to a school which can pay more than we do.

Now, if this was the CMU board, and they could offer say 150K, let's have the discussion.

Moving from Ferris to CMU is an easy move.

I would also want to know if we wants to be in S.E. Michigan. He seems like a western Michigan guy all the way. McBain, Big Rapids, etc.

It might be a good idea to snag a guy out of the HS ranks from SE michigan.
04-19-2021 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.