Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

University of Hartford considering dropping down from Division 1
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
University of Hartford considering dropping down from Division 1
https://www.wtnh.com/news/news-8-exclusi...c-program/

The President's quotes are pretty interesting, even after making the NCAA tournament it doesn't seem he's wildly pro athletics. It also seems like wtnh could use a new copy editor, there's a fair amount of typos, but that's neither here nor there.

“Obviously it has gotten out. The document you are holding is supposed to be confidential,” said university president Gregory Woodward.

News 8 asked Woodward about the study who said no decision has been made.

“Look at the University of Hartford, how many of our players go pro one or two a year that’s not our goal. We will do the right thing for this university and all of our 7,000 students,” said Woodward.

He said the school loses millions on athletics and that the NCAA tournament won’t change that

“Everyone thinks you make tournament, you hit the jackpot. We didn’t get a cent from the tournament and congratulations to our great kids but we are losing money doing this,” said Woodward. “I don’t think what the world understands is that everyone who plays Division One sports loses money, except for about 22 schools. There are about 350 schools in Division One, only 23 make money the rest of us lose.”
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 10:27 PM by TDenverFan.)
04-08-2021 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: University of Hartford considering dropping down from Division 1
Division I isn't for everyone. Looks like they (or at least their president) are not willing to commit to it. They paid a consultant to publish a report with one recommendation: drop to Division III.

They are a private school with 6500 students (4500 undergrads) and a $175M endowment. They play in the bottom rung of Division I, and made their first NCAA men's basketball tournament this year. They are the only private school in the America East conference. They sit in the middle of the conference footprint, and their teams can bus to every game.

Central Connecticut State is nearby, and would be a logical candidate to move over to America East.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 11:01 PM by johnintx.)
04-08-2021 10:57 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-08-2021 10:26 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  “Everyone thinks you make tournament, you hit the jackpot. We didn’t get a cent from the tournament...” said Woodward.

False.

"Units are awarded for each game played, minus the championship. A school can earn a maximum of five units for its conference in a single March Madness run. This year’s units carry a $337,141 annual value, according to the NCAA...Since units are paid out in annual distributions over a rolling six-year period, each one earned during the 2021 tournament will be worth a total of at least $1.68 million for the recipient conferences by the time it is fully paid out in 2027."

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college...234625231/
04-08-2021 11:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
The consulting firm is run by Jeff Hathaway. I remember when he headed the selection committee in 2012 — even as UConn AD, he was very pro-mid major in at-large selections. Iona was the last team in and Oral Roberts was the first team out (knocked out by a Sunday bidsteal).

He’s pretty objective. Not someone with a hidden agenda or an ax to grind.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 11:45 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
04-08-2021 11:44 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

The fact the feasibility study concludes moving to D3 rather than offering up ways to improve the bottom line (ie. dropping sports) and the university president is already making the rounds publicly means this could very well be close to a done deal.
04-09-2021 12:07 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Wonder how many other schools do decide to drop down Divisions?
04-09-2021 12:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(04-09-2021 12:17 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Wonder how many other schools do decide to drop down Divisions?

Okay Bizarro David St...bring back the real you.
04-09-2021 12:22 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2021 10:57 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Division I isn't for everyone. Looks like they (or at least their president) are not willing to commit to it. They paid a consultant to publish a report with one recommendation: drop to Division III.

They are a private school with 6500 students (4500 undergrads) and a $175M endowment. They play in the bottom rung of Division I, and made their first NCAA men's basketball tournament this year. They are the only private school in the America East conference. They sit in the middle of the conference footprint, and their teams can bus to every game.

Central Connecticut State is nearby, and would be a logical candidate to move over to America East.

CCSU to AEC and New Haven to NEC would have to be the odds-on favorite for ripple effect.
04-09-2021 12:30 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-08-2021 11:30 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 10:26 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  “Everyone thinks you make tournament, you hit the jackpot. We didn’t get a cent from the tournament...” said Woodward.

False.

"Units are awarded for each game played, minus the championship. A school can earn a maximum of five units for its conference in a single March Madness run. This year’s units carry a $337,141 annual value, according to the NCAA...Since units are paid out in annual distributions over a rolling six-year period, each one earned during the 2021 tournament will be worth a total of at least $1.68 million for the recipient conferences by the time it is fully paid out in 2027."

What he probably should have said is that Hartford didn't anything extra for being the conference's representative in the tournament. They get the same every year whether they are the champ or not. That amounts to roughly $180K a year (this year isn't representative of the norm due to last year's tourney being canceled).

While every D-I school gets this free money from the NCAA, it is dwarfed by the cost of participating at that level. As he said, just about every D-I school is losing money. What each has to decide is whether that's a good decision relative to the school's mission.
04-09-2021 06:47 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(04-09-2021 12:30 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 10:57 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Division I isn't for everyone. Looks like they (or at least their president) are not willing to commit to it. They paid a consultant to publish a report with one recommendation: drop to Division III.

CCSU to AEC and New Haven to NEC would have to be the odds-on favorite for ripple effect.

CCSU has football to worry about—is the CAA going to take their small time program? Is America East going to sever its relationship with CAA to start their own football conference?

Theoretically, you could do:

Maine
New Hampshire
Albany
Stony Brook
CCSU
Rhode Island*
Monmouth*
Robert Morris*

But those first 4 are probably much happier with their current arrangement.
04-09-2021 06:55 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(04-09-2021 12:30 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

That would be very nice and would give the AEast another reason to start football
04-09-2021 08:05 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(04-09-2021 12:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 12:17 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Wonder how many other schools do decide to drop down Divisions?

Naah, he's got a track record of a bunch of schools he thinks should move down, either shouldn't be Division I, shouldn't be FBS.

The DavidSt Constant isn't that everyone should move UP, it's that everyone should MOVE. Up, down, sideways, as long as they move.
04-09-2021 08:09 AM
johnbragg Online

False.

Right, but if America East splits the pot evenly, then Hartford doesn't make any money from making the tournament. SOMEBODY from AE is going to the Dance, so somebody is getting that credit, and Hartford gets the same share of the money.

Usually, Vermont wins the conference, collects one credit, Hartford gets 1/10 of that money. This year, Hartford went to the tournament, Hartford gets the same 1/10 of a tournament credit check as Maine, UMBC, UMass-Lowell, etc.
04-09-2021 08:12 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
(04-09-2021 06:47 AM)ken d Wrote:  

False.

What he probably should have said is that Hartford didn't anything extra for being the conference's representative in the tournament. They get the same every year whether they are the champ or not. That amounts to roughly $180K a year (this year isn't representative of the norm due to last year's tourney being canceled).

While every D-I school gets this free money from the NCAA, it is dwarfed by the cost of participating at that level. As he said, just about every D-I school is losing money. What each has to decide is whether that's a good decision relative to the school's mission.

Yeah, and I would assume he also feels they didn't get enough of a marketing/publicity bump from getting throttled in round 1 to justify it either. I'm sure most people have already forgotten they were even part of the tournament.

Overall, the president's statements are sorta odd, sending players to the pro leagues isn't the main justification for D1 sports, but his overall points are probably accurate. St a certain level, D1 sports are a marketing tool, could Hartford spend the 13 million a year they lose on sports elsewhere and see better results? D3 sports are much more revenue neutral. I'm sure something like the Liberty League would make a lot of sense to them.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021 08:17 AM by TDenverFan.)
04-09-2021 08:15 AM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(04-09-2021 08:09 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(04-09-2021 12:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  

Naah, he's got a track record of a bunch of schools he thinks should move down, either shouldn't be Division I, shouldn't be FBS.

The DavidSt Constant isn't that everyone should move UP, it's that everyone should MOVE. Up, down, sideways, as long as they move.

Ask him how he feels about Charlotte, Georgia State, and Coastal Carolina.
04-09-2021 08:21 AM
johnbragg Online

I'm not sure that CCSU has the prestige level that the America East schools seem to be looking for. 3 state flagships, 3 SUNY's, very respectable (US News top 200) little-brother public schools), 5 Carnegie R1s, 4 R2s.

I'm not sure that they're going to grab a school just because they have a vacancy in Connecticut.
04-09-2021 08:25 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2021 08:25 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

I'm not sure that CCSU has the prestige level that the America East schools seem to be looking for. 3 state flagships, 3 SUNY's, very respectable (US News top 200) little-brother public schools), 5 Carnegie R1s, 4 R2s.

I'm not sure that they're going to grab a school just because they have a vacancy in Connecticut.

CCSU is public and the only public school in the AEast pretty much any other Northeastern candidate would be private.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Merrimack and replace a private with a private
04-09-2021 09:18 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
AmEast voluntarily stayed at 9 schools for a while until they decided to add NJIT. If Hartford were to leave, CCSU is currently the only public school in their footprint that's in a less prestigious D1 conference (i.e., the NEC and arguably the MAAC), and their academics aren't up to par with AmEast. And there are maybe 3 schools that meet those same criteria but are instead private (LIU, Sacred Heart, and Quinnipiac). I don't know if there would be interest from either party in those cases. So I think the conference would sit at 9 schools again until an acceptable candidate arose.

PS: Speaking of acceptable candidates, there's just one D2 public school in the Northeast US that has a doctoral Carnegie rating (as all AmEast schools have): Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I've not heard a peep about them moving up.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021 09:36 AM by Nerdlinger.)
04-09-2021 09:25 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe AEast and Northeastern can work out a deal #fingerscrossed
04-09-2021 09:28 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(04-09-2021 09:28 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Maybe AEast and Northeastern can work out a deal #fingerscrossed

Does Northeastern want to return to a more regional conference?
04-09-2021 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.