Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So when is Gonzaga going to a real conference?
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
So when is Gonzaga going to a real conference?
It was obvious from both Final Four games that Gonzaga was bothered by the physical size and talent level of P5 teams.

So when are they going to a real conference for some better competition?

Candidates:
Mountain West
Would be welcomed with open arms as a non-football member, conference provides only a slight upgrade but they would have some real P5 competition.

Pac-12
The real upgrade, but its unlikely the PAC wants competition for WU and WSU media market-wise, and they'd have to find a 14th member for basketball (SDSU?)

Big East
This is, of course, where Gonzaga belongs with their other Catholic school peers. But the travel would just be too much - their closest team is Creighton. Would it be worth working out a travel schedule (a week on the road, a week off) that works for the students?

Reverse the Process: WCC brings in better schools
Would BYU consider joining the WCC? Unlikely, but a couple more decent teams would assist Gonzaga as well.

This loss has to sting, and despite recent statements, has to have Gonzaga thinking about how to make that next step.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 09:39 AM by jgkojak.)
04-06-2021 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: So when is Gonzaga going to a real conference?
Add USC to the WCC and its a "real" conference.

07-coffee3
04-06-2021 09:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
As shown by the tournament this year the PAC doesn't exactly "need" Gonzaga when you have both Oregon schools advancing deep into the tournament.

Gonzaga would not do as well in the PAC week in and out because of the talent level or be as important there.
04-06-2021 09:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(04-06-2021 09:38 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  It was obvious from both Final Four games that Gonzaga was bothered by the physical size and talent level of P5 teams.

So when are they going to a real conference for some better competition?

Candidates:
Mountain West
Would be welcomed with open arms as a non-football member, conference provides only a slight upgrade but they would have some real P5 competition.

Pac-12
The real upgrade, but its unlikely the PAC wants competition for WU and WSU media market-wise, and they'd have to find a 14th member for basketball (SDSU?)

Big East
This is, of course, where Gonzaga belongs with their other Catholic school peers. But the travel would just be too much - their closest team is Creighton. Would it be worth working out a travel schedule (a week on the road, a week off) that works for the students?

Reverse the Process: WCC brings in better schools
Would BYU consider joining the WCC? Unlikely, but a couple more decent teams would assist Gonzaga as well.

This loss has to sting, and despite recent statements, has to have Gonzaga thinking about how to make that next step.

BYU is in the WCC.
04-06-2021 09:47 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Look at who Gonzaga has beaten over the years. They will play anyone, anywhere. Yeah, some of their WCC games are cake walks. Every conference has them though.
04-06-2021 09:50 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(04-06-2021 09:40 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Add USC to the WCC and its a "real" conference.

07-coffee3

Thats a fun whatif. USC could easily survive as a football independent and being with Gonzaga and BYU would make not PAC life very bearable.
04-06-2021 09:50 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
First, the notion Gonzaga struggles with P5 talent needs to be tossed in the trash:
(04-06-2021 09:38 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  It was obvious from both Final Four games that Gonzaga was bothered by the physical size and talent level of P5 teams.

Gonzaga's P5 record: 9-1
Gonzaga's T25 record: 6-1 (5 double digit wins)

Cherry-picking to fit one's confirmation bias.

Second, it would be wise to know who's in the league you're deriding:
(04-06-2021 09:38 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  Reverse the Process: WCC brings in better schools

BYU has been a WCC member for a decade now.

Third, it would be prudent to research the leagues before calling the MWC a "real conference" and the WCC "not a real conference" -- that's an unwarranted, and frankly incorrect, cheapshot of the WCC:
(04-06-2021 09:38 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  So when are they going to a real conference for some better competition?

Candidates:
Mountain West

1) Gonzaga turned down the MWC.

2) NET since it's been put in place:
WCC - 8, 9, 8
MWC - 12, 10, 12

If you remove Gonzaga, WCC was better than MWC 2 of 3 years.

3) MWC is 0-4 in the NCAA with losses by 9, 12, 16, & 17 over the same timespan.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 10:51 AM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
04-06-2021 10:04 AM
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
Gonzaga this year was bothered by the physical size and talent level of P5 teams.*

*Except for USC, Creighton, UVA, Iowa, Kansas, Auburn, and Oklahoma, who they all beat by double digits
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 10:17 AM by TDenverFan.)
04-06-2021 10:16 AM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
If Gonzaga played in the PAC-12 they won't have gone undefeated, but they still would have been a 1 or 2 seed. Baylor was just too much for them last night, but Baylor was too much for pretty much everyone else this year as well.
04-06-2021 10:23 AM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
The WCC should let SDSU and Boise in since each would gladly park their olys and put FB in the AAC. Yes both are publics and the WCC is a private league, but the positives are hard to overlook.
04-06-2021 10:35 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
If you play and beat Iowa, Kansas, Virginia, Auburn, and West Virginia on the road or neutral site and play a similar non-conference annually, there's no need to leave your multiple bid conference.
04-06-2021 10:45 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2021 10:35 AM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  The WCC should let SDSU and Boise in since each would gladly park their olys and put FB in the AAC. Yes both are publics and the WCC is a private league, but the positives are hard to overlook.

The West would benefit from a Big East basketball focused conference where members would be free to do what they want with football.

If BYU wanted a new "project" that would be a fun one

Off the top of my head a 7 team core olympic sports conference could be formed pretty easily.
The no basketball auto bid for 8 years would be bearable with this group

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 10:49 AM by solohawks.)
04-06-2021 10:48 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(04-06-2021 10:48 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 10:35 AM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  The WCC should let SDSU and Boise in since each would gladly park their olys and put FB in the AAC. Yes both are publics and the WCC is a private league, but the positives are hard to overlook.

The West would benefit from a Big East basketball focused conference where members would be free to do what they want with football.

Off the top of my head a 7 team core olympic sports conference could be formed pretty easily.

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle

Seattle? Also Zags would never leave the WCC for this... I think the Zags would rather play in the Southland or the WAC before this makeshift idea.
04-06-2021 11:01 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2021 11:01 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle

Seattle? Also Zags would never leave the WCC for this... I think the Zags would rather play in the Southland or the WAC before this makeshift idea.

I needed a #7 and they were the most logical.

How is playing Seattle 2x any different than playing Portland 2x?

If Air Force would be willing to make the jump they would make sense too, as I'm sure the AAC would have no problem hosting them with Boise and SDSU. I just don't know if Air Force would want to leave the MWC for a tougher Olympic sports conference?
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 11:07 AM by solohawks.)
04-06-2021 11:02 AM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
(04-06-2021 11:02 AM)solohawks Wrote:  

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle

I think it's more recruiting and markets. Portland gives Gonzaga a new recruiting ground while neither is sharing the same market. While it makes sense adding Seattle and let's say Eastern Washington (was mentioned to potentially want to drop football) Gonzaga might not want to fight for any potential recruit from what it views a smaller brand.
04-06-2021 11:10 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle

Both schools aren't great at their marquee sport which is basketball.

NMSU is a solid program but it's tough to get to.

I'd sub almost any other western mid major in for Seattle.

I'd start with looking at schools that have been successful in their current league and has money.
04-06-2021 11:11 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-06-2021 11:11 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  

Gonzaga
St. Mary's
BYU
Boise
SDSU
NMSU
Seattle

Both schools aren't great at their marquee sport which is basketball.

NMSU is a solid program but it's tough to get to.

I'd sub almost any other western mid major in for Seattle.

I'd start with looking at schools that have been successful in their current league and has money.

GCU would make sense but they seems to have perception issues, fairly or unfairly, so I did not list them.

The easiest solution would be for the WCC to just add Boise.

Gonzaga could go Godfather on the WCC if they wanted to do so to help seal the deal
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 11:17 AM by solohawks.)
04-06-2021 11:14 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I think it’s silly that people project Gonzaga’s record but finale flop on its conference. That in a “real conference,” this team would have been better prepared for last night’s assault or humbled by a few losses with a tougher walk. Those people clearly don’t watch this sport.

I think it became obvious last night that Gonzaga wasn’t undone by its conference. It was undone because the other team’s coach did a far better job preparing Baylor for THIS game against THAT Gonzaga team. Whereas Gonzaga kinda tried to run on swagger over its offensive weapons.

Preparation was what undid Gonzaga. Not the WCC. It’s not like Baylor really ever saw an offense like that during its season...
04-06-2021 11:17 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Gonzaga is fine in the WCC and will continue to challenge for national titles. It's a major to high-major program that is now as stable and nationally influential as just about any other. True, the WCC is not a big-time league. But that will not prevent the Zags from one day winning it all.

I do agree, however, that Gonzaga likely needs more powerful and athletic interior players. The program seemingly has never offered a sufficient number of those type players most seasons.
04-06-2021 11:24 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Would be interesting to add SDSU and Boise to the WCC
04-06-2021 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.