ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where is Blaine?
NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
RE: Where is Blaine?
(04-10-2021 06:35 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  My perception of Purnell, and that's all it is, was that he enjoyed early success at Longwood? and ODU, but did not stay at either school long enough to build a real track record. Once he went to Dayton and Clemson, he failed to produce and was exposed.

He took Dayton to the NCAA, rebuilt that program. He did good things at Clemson, had them in upper tier of the ACC. So did produce. Probably could have stayed at Clemson for a long time , but Depaul threw big money at him, plus the lure of a big city was too much to turn down. DePaul, at that point, though, had too many liabilities to allow any coach to win there, and he resigned after that became obvious.
04-10-2021 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(04-10-2021 09:46 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  So the progression would have been. Radford, ODU, Dayton, Clemson to Depaul.

Yes sir that’s it.
04-10-2021 01:03 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(04-10-2021 06:35 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  My perception of Purnell, and that's all it is, was that he enjoyed early success at Longwood? and ODU, but did not stay at either school long enough to build a real track record. Once he went to Dayton and Clemson, he failed to produce and was exposed.

I would say he had Success at Radford, ODU and Dayton, but that he got out of Dayton before the wheels feel off for Clemson. He never really got Clemson off the ground, but it is Clemson basketball so most anything is an improvement. He went on to DePaul and I have no idea if he has been able to do anything to revive that program.
04-10-2021 02:07 PM
NC ODUFan Offline
Special Teams

(04-10-2021 02:07 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

I would say he had Success at Radford, ODU and Dayton, but that he got out of Dayton before the wheels feel off for Clemson. He never really got Clemson off the ground, but it is Clemson basketball so most anything is an improvement. He went on to DePaul and I have no idea if he has been able to do anything to revive that program.
See my previous post. He left DePaul about four years ago, no coaching gigs since then than I'm aware of.
04-10-2021 02:58 PM
mac Offline
All American

(04-10-2021 02:58 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  
(04-10-2021 02:07 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  

See my previous post. He left DePaul about four years ago, no coaching gigs since then than I'm aware of.

NC~Thanks for your posts former sports editor!!!

As for Purnell’s Clemson record.
10-18
16-16
19-15
25-11
24-10
23-9
21-11

138-90
04-11-2021 07:14 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Purnell leaving was a gut punch for me. He was someone I thought would stick around for a while and get some things done. I would see him in the neighborhood and he was always willing to talk. Said a couple times it was his dream job, and the family loved living on the water in OV. Actually kept the house for a several years after he left for greener pastures. Like they say 'The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. It's still just grass.'
04-11-2021 08:06 AM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Yea he definitely left for green, not sure it was the grass though. Comparing his bankroll with someone like BT or JJ, I'm guessing Ollie feels pretty ok about those last 3 decisions he made. That said, I also think ODU was heading for some really good days if he stayed and kept that VA recruiting momentum going.
04-11-2021 09:27 AM
mac Offline
All American

(04-11-2021 09:27 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Yea he definitely left for green, not sure it was the grass though. Comparing his bankroll with someone like BT or JJ, I'm guessing Ollie feels pretty ok about those last 3 decisions he made. That said, I also think ODU was heading for some really good days if he stayed and kept that VA recruiting momentum going.

I brought up Ollie to one of BT’s assistants once after DePaul let him go. He told me don’t worry about that, he’s sitting very pretty with a full bank account.

Guess if he wanted to still be coaching somewhere he would be at a ODU level school or whatnot . Has a great reputation.
04-11-2021 01:44 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Not entirely unheard of for a coach to leave a program on good terms and eventually make his way back, is it?

He used to own a place in OV.
04-11-2021 05:06 PM
Monarch Pride Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bleed Blue!
It’s time to let go of Blaine and the past. We need to move forward.
04-11-2021 07:20 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-11-2021 05:06 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  Not entirely unheard of for a coach to leave a program on good terms and eventually make his way back, is it?

He used to own a place in OV.

Thought that was Ollie. Maybe they both did. I know BT hung out at Chicks Beach a lot.
04-11-2021 09:37 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

I was refering to Ollie
04-12-2021 05:31 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-12-2021 05:31 AM)VB Monarch Wrote:  I was refering to Ollie

My bad. I would be curious as to how Ollie would do here at this stage. He obviously has had a stellar career, but had a rough go of it at DePaul. I hated to see him go to Dayton when he did. Felt like he really had a chance to take us places. I could understand leaving for a major conference team, but going to Dayton hurt.
04-12-2021 03:29 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Sorry all, I cut my teeth as an undergrad during Ollie's administration... Since all the threads are either Fire Blaine or Fire Jeff, I thought I'd ask how Coach Purnell was doing. Yes, he left me during the midpoint of my college career... and then Capel said that he and his wife would "never leave" norfolk to comfort our souls.
04-13-2021 01:17 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2021 07:20 PM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  It’s time to let go of Blaine and the past. We need to move forward.

I cant believe how absurd our fanbase can be, like jones and Taylor are the only options???

Talk about your stockholm syndrome good lord.
04-14-2021 11:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mac Offline
All American

(04-14-2021 11:26 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(04-11-2021 07:20 PM)Monarch Pride Wrote:  It’s time to let go of Blaine and the past. We need to move forward.

I cant believe how absurd our fanbase can be, like jones and Taylor are the only options???

First off, for me, I know BT will never be ODU’s coach again. I’m just pulling for him to do well. That guy was at rock bottom no question. To come back from something like that would he a huge success story and I’m pulling for him.

It sounds like due to money circumstances Jones will indeed be the ODU for at least a couple more years, if not longer. Don’t see that changing and I’m not gonna pull out my remaining hair because of that! It is what it is. Plus he has support from the board at ODU as far as I can tell, don’t see him going anywhere, in spite of the fact that 10 of the 20-30 people who post on this social media site complain everyday about the same thing.
04-15-2021 04:54 AM
ODUDon Offline
Special Teams

Really enjoyed the interview with BT. I and my special needs son got to meet him on several occasions and he always remembered his name and made a point to say hi. We saw him coming out of the locker room before the UVA game at the Richmond Coliseum and my son insisted on going down to say hi. We walked up to him and he stopped what he was doing and said hi to my son by name and told him he shaved his mustache off just for him. I doubt very many D1 coaches would do the same under the same circumstances.

I’m in the same camp a previous poster who said he should have been allowed to take time off to rehabilitate.
04-15-2021 03:15 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(04-15-2021 03:15 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  Really enjoyed the interview with BT. I and my special needs son got to meet him on several occasions and he always remembered his name and made a point to say hi. We saw him coming out of the locker room before the UVA game at the Richmond Coliseum and my son insisted on going down to say hi. We walked up to him and he stopped what he was doing and said hi to my son by name and told him he shaved his mustache off just for him. I doubt very many D1 coaches would do the same under the same circumstances.

I’m in the same camp a previous poster who said he should have been allowed to take time off to rehabilitate.

BT was a great guy and he did a lot great things here. There is no disputing that. But no school in the country would have allowed him to return after that.
04-15-2021 03:58 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(04-15-2021 04:54 AM)mac Wrote:  
(04-14-2021 11:26 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

First off, for me, I know BT will never be ODU’s coach again. I’m just pulling for him to do well. That guy was at rock bottom no question. To come back from something like that would he a huge success story and I’m pulling for him.

It sounds like due to money circumstances Jones will indeed be the ODU for at least a couple more years, if not longer. Don’t see that changing and I’m not gonna pull out my remaining hair because of that! It is what it is. Plus he has support from the board at ODU as far as I can tell, don’t see him going anywhere, in spite of the fact that 10 of the 20-30 people who post on this social media site complain everyday about the same thing.

You are probably right, if this mindless board likes JJ. Consider no resurrection of ODU in basketball for years to come. Again, thanks Wood for that 5 year extension. I was always taught you pay for what you get. Take a poll of ODU fans and see where the program is heading.
!
04-15-2021 04:59 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(04-15-2021 03:58 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(04-15-2021 03:15 PM)ODUDon Wrote:  Really enjoyed the interview with BT. I and my special needs son got to meet him on several occasions and he always remembered his name and made a point to say hi. We saw him coming out of the locker room before the UVA game at the Richmond Coliseum and my son insisted on going down to say hi. We walked up to him and he stopped what he was doing and said hi to my son by name and told him he shaved his mustache off just for him. I doubt very many D1 coaches would do the same under the same circumstances.

BT was a great guy and he did a lot great things here. There is no disputing that. But no school in the country would have allowed him to return after that.

Don't say no school...becasue there are tons of schools that have dubious coaches. Blaine was drunk, others just plain cheat and break the rules on a regular basis. They get a slap on the wrist and get hired by the next guy, who is suddenly surprised when they end up sanctioned by the NCAA. Yes Blaine embarrassed the university, and who knows, maybe that was the last straw in a long line of infractions, but seems like he has paid the piper and has gotten his life in order. I am not saying ODU should hire him, but I think if he wants to coach, someone should give him a shot.
04-15-2021 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.