Open TigerLinks

Nesbitt
Bookmark and Share
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Nesbitt
(04-02-2021 01:52 PM)Browning Hall Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 01:15 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  I know some of y’all won’t agree with this but this seems definitely like a direct shot at Penny’s abilities as a coach. I am really excited with Penny going forward and how ended this season, but I don’t know how you see this as anything else besides these guys don’t view Memphis/Penny as a good enough place for their basketball future.

How did you reach that conclusion? 1000 plus kids have entered the transfer portal and surely not all did so due to perceived coaching abilities. Why Penny?

I definitely could be wrong. I am wrong often in this life :)

With DJ and Boogie, who have such high aspirations of playing in the league, they must obviously think Penny cannot get them as far as they’d like, right? If they wholeheartedly believed in Penny and this program for their future, why leave after 2 years here and on the cusp of something great?
04-02-2021 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Clearly there was a non basketball problem with Nesbit, maybe it was that he was a high schooler on a college campus, think of all the trouble you got on your unsupervised visit to college- and that is for a weekend- this guy came here for a full semester, during COVID - if he were a regular student he would be lucky to survive that scene
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 02:18 PM by BinghamptonNed.)
04-02-2021 01:57 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

Nesbitt
(04-02-2021 01:57 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 01:15 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  I know some of y’all won’t agree with this but this seems definitely like a direct shot at Penny’s abilities as a coach. I am really excited with Penny going forward and how ended this season, but I don’t know how you see this as anything else besides these guys don’t view Memphis/Penny as a good enough place for their basketball future.

How did you reach that conclusion? 1000 plus kids have entered the transfer portal and surely not all did so due to perceived coaching abilities. Why Penny?

With DJ and Boogie, who have such high aspirations of playing in the league, they must obviously think Penny cannot get them as far as they’d like, right? If they wholeheartedly believed in Penny and this program for their future, why leave after 2 years here and on the cusp of something great?

Lol. “Penny can’t get them there.”

Did Finch get Penny to the league?? I think coaching matters, but DJ was given the keys to the car and ran it off the road early in the season. Penny as a player came in and tore it up from day one. You either have it in you or you don’t.
04-02-2021 02:02 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!

Here's the bottom line: They don't think like you...nor do their families. Memphis being on the cusp of something great wouldn't interest them as much.
04-02-2021 02:03 PM
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2021 02:02 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  

Lol. “Penny can’t get them there.”

Did Finch get Penny to the league?? I think coaching matters, but DJ was given the keys to the car and ran it off the road early in the season. Penny as a player came in and tore it up from day one. You either have it in you or you don’t.

I wasn’t saying I agree with this, but what I am saying is that maybe that’s how DJ and Boogie and maybe others feel. Penny cannot prepare me for the league like I want or how I thought he could.
04-02-2021 02:05 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2021 02:02 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  

Did Finch get Penny to the league??

No. Finch did not get Penny to the NBA. Penny was getting there no matter where he went to college. Just like 99% of all of the guys now playing in the NBA.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 02:07 PM by oruvoice.)
04-02-2021 02:07 PM
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

(04-02-2021 02:03 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

Here's the bottom line: They don't think like you...nor do their families. Memphis being on the cusp of something great wouldn't interest them as much.

I can understand that. But what that does mean is being on a team that could make a deep tourney run next season that creates more national exposure for them to shine. That’s why I think they’d care about being on the cusp of something great.
04-02-2021 02:08 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(04-02-2021 01:57 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  Clearly there was a non basketball problem with Nesbit, maybe it was that he was a high schooler on a college campus, think of all the trouble you got on your unsupervised visitors to college- and that is for a weekend- this guy came here for a full semester, during COVID - if he were a regular student he would be lucky to survive that scene

Dude was 19, not 16 or 17. He was the normal age of a college freshman
04-02-2021 02:08 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2021 02:08 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 01:57 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  Clearly there was a non basketball problem with Nesbit, maybe it was that he was a high schooler on a college campus, think of all the trouble you got on your unsupervised visitors to college- and that is for a weekend- this guy came here for a full semester, during COVID - if he were a regular student he would be lucky to survive that scene

It as his first time in college and it was the second semester of his Senior year no matter how old he was. I don’t have any inside information but I was a college freshman once and I can imagine the trouble I could have gotten in my senior year of high school if it were spent unsupervised ona college campus 5 hours away from home.
04-02-2021 02:22 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I would suggest this is less about Penny and more about kids in a candy store.
04-02-2021 02:24 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(04-02-2021 02:22 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 02:08 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  

It as his first time in college and it was the second semester of his Senior year no matter how old he was. I don’t have any inside information but I was a college freshman once and I can imagine the trouble I could have gotten in my senior year of high school if it were spent unsupervised ona college campus 5 hours away from home.

Of course.. but by that line of reason isnt every 18 year old freshman an unsupervised high schooler on a college campus?

They dont teach you something magical 2nd semester of high school as a senior.. point is, i wouldnt blame him graduating a semester early.
04-02-2021 02:26 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(04-02-2021 02:08 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  

I can understand that. But what that does mean is being on a team that could make a deep tourney run next season that creates more national exposure for them to shine. That’s why I think they’d care about being on the cusp of something great.

What point are you arguing? It sounds like you are not a fan of Penny, and you are using this Nesbitt leaving (plus the transfer portal thing) as bullet points for your Penny position.

In truth, you know nothing of the reasons Nesbitt is gone yet you are willing to chalk it up on the side of "Penny's fault" just sayin....Your position seemed to be solely based on an opinion already formed inside your noggin...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I can't wait to see who we bring in...Experience > Projects
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 02:30 PM by snowtiger.)
04-02-2021 02:26 PM
hartlessnhere Offline
Special Teams

I frankly don't know what happened. Sometimes you find that no matter how talented you are other things besides basketball get in the way and prevent relationships from prospering. IE: Immaturity, different philosophies on basketball, over-inflated egos, listening to the wrong people, character flaws, and sometimes just being uncoachable.

Penny will replace the talent that has left with better talent.
04-02-2021 02:27 PM
Radicalman7 Offline
2nd String

Deandre is not saying that, neither is, LQ or LN and those are the three you should be very concerned about. Those 3 choose to be elsewhere and we got legit problems.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 02:32 PM by Radicalman7.)
04-02-2021 02:31 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

The whole Penny can't get them there argument really falls apart when he got 2 players drafted in the 1st round last year
04-02-2021 02:43 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2021 02:43 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  The whole Penny can't get them there argument really falls apart when he got 2 players drafted in the 1st round last year

Excatly! I mean taking Precious from a nobody to the NBA was awesome!

And, the work he did with Wiseman was even greater than that. All the blood, sweat, and tears to develop James was remarkable.
04-02-2021 02:47 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

The Golden State Warriors announcers give Penny cred all the time when Wiseman does good things. And Wiseman does some really good things. Curry and Green are impressed...
04-02-2021 02:50 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(04-02-2021 02:47 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  
(04-02-2021 02:43 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  The whole Penny can't get them there argument really falls apart when he got 2 players drafted in the 1st round last year

Excatly! I mean taking Precious from a nobody to the NBA was awesome!

And, the work he did with Wiseman was even greater than that. All the blood, sweat, and tears to develop James was remarkable.

Wilfong!!
04-02-2021 02:52 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Nesbitt
(04-02-2021 02:08 PM)tharmon15 Wrote:  

They don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-02-2021 02:57 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

Nesbitt had a get out of jail free card he could play without consequences. He could simply give Memphis a try, no different than staying in HS another semester. It cost him nothing. He got to experience firsthand the atmosphere at Memphis, get to know the coaching staff, meet teammates, etc without losing his ability to change his mind & find another situation that might suit him better. So why not? He gets to choose again with more knowledge & without penalty for coming to Memphis. And he probably had not lost the idea that he is still destined for greatness.
04-02-2021 03:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.