Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tweet: Cincinnati and Brannen parting ways?
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: Tweet: Cincinnati and Brannen parting ways?
(03-26-2021 03:55 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  I’m not saying it isn’t possible with who is in the portal, and I’m not saying we don’t have advantages of brand name, facilities, and resources. But the guys we have been targeting and that have mutual interest will leave us in no better position this upcoming year than we were last year, and that’s not nearly good enough, for us or for this conference as a whole.

most of the transfers havent released their interests yet.. a few leaked it to twitter sources, that doesnt make it the whole.. it is to early to tell who will land with who

also you arent going to land all stars.. you need some bench/role guys aswell.. its okay if they all arent elite
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021 04:16 PM by pesik.)
03-26-2021 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoShox7 Online
1st String

I Root For: Shox
Tweet: Cincinnati and Brannen parting ways?
Parrish and Norlander podcast said Brannen under investigation. Current AD is not the one who hired him and the relationship is non existent and more than likely looking for at cause reason to fire him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
03-26-2021 05:43 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-26-2021 04:00 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 02:05 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Do most of you UC fans want him gone? I think so, but not sure.

I'm only speaking for myself.

I think Brannen is just in over-his-head at this level. I'm OK with "how" he was hired (this pisses off other people... It feels like he was hired quickly and out of convenience. Before UC, Brannen coached at NKU, who lent us their arena while 5/3 was being renovated.) He was successful at the D2 and Horizon level...what was "missing" was any coaching experience at a mid-major level. We hired Mick Cronin from Murray State in the OVC, for example. Brannen jumped from a low-level program to a high-level. To be honest, he came with a record of recent success AND existing recruiting connections locally: it was a "natural" hire at the time.

Brannen was also handed a rough hand to work with. Mick Cronin left a core of established players but not much else. He had seemingly slacked off on recruiting, and most of the "Mick" players didn't seem to mesh well with Brannen and they all pretty much left. Factor in the COVID mess and the "Portal"...none of which Brannen could do anything about...and that makes it hard for any coach. Brannen's father died this past year and that also had to hurt.

But Brannen has had NO HS recruits this year. Zip. Nada. None. Then the majority of his team opted out and/or left right after the season finished. I said at the time that it's not so much a "rebuild" now but an enema. Thank God, it wasn't worse: Brannen retained a core of 4 players but the rest of the program was going to have to be rebuilt from scratch anyway. For his part, Brannen doesn't seem to know "how" to act/react. During games, he's brooding and sulky; after the CCG blow-out against Houston, he stomped off the court before the game was even over and sat in the locker-room alone while his team shook hands and stayed on the court. The players who left the program seem to indicate that the main reason they left was "the coach," though specifics have been hard to come by. Brannen himself has been invisible in the wake of the departures; no reassuring comments, no "wishing the guys well," not even a "I'm looking forward to working with the guys who are returning." It's like BB season ended and Brannen left town like Ted Cruz going to Mexico in the wake of the Texas ice-storm...except Cruz quickly came back.

In the end, I think it's best if Brannen and UC each go their own way. I'd like to think that a smart coach would realize that the situation is untenable and negotiate a release...not a firing but a release...so that everyone could start fresh. Brannen could use a fresh start and I hope he gets one. UC needs a fresh start.

I wish Coach Brannen the best of luck...SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Not necessarily saying it is the point you're making, but the Horizon was a top-half league through most of the early-to-mid 2010's. They've been a bit down the last 3-4 years, but still pretty even with the OVC during the down period.
03-26-2021 07:04 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2021 02:13 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 02:05 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Do most of you UC fans want him gone? I think so, but not sure.

The ones that want him gone are certainly more vocal. The ones that continue to 'support' him tend to point to the difficult circumstances with covid, blah blah blah and think he's a great coach. How anyone could watch all of our terrible losses the past two season and arrive at the conclusion he is a great coach is beyond me. Add that to all the transfers and lack of incoming recruits (hey we beat out Elon for Bryson Spell!) and this is a no brainer to me...

Other than that one bcatblog guy, I haven't seen anyone on the Bearcats board touting Brannen as a great coach. Some of us (myself included) have taken a more cautious approach in comparison to the knee-jerk, sky-is-falling crowd. But even then, the ones who weren't calling for his firing a week ago were pretty lukewarm on him at best.

It's obvious he's gone now. The announcement will be made no later than this time next week, and I suspect we have a new coach announced shortly after. Honestly, I'm pretty indifferent to it. I just hope we don't rob Peter (i.e. using money earmarked for football upgrades) to pay Paul with his buyout, and announce a new coach ASAP so he can hit the transfer portal right away.
03-26-2021 07:09 PM
Lurkercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-26-2021 07:09 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  

The ones that want him gone are certainly more vocal. The ones that continue to 'support' him tend to point to the difficult circumstances with covid, blah blah blah and think he's a great coach. How anyone could watch all of our terrible losses the past two season and arrive at the conclusion he is a great coach is beyond me. Add that to all the transfers and lack of incoming recruits (hey we beat out Elon for Bryson Spell!) and this is a no brainer to me...

Other than that one bcatblog guy, I haven't seen anyone on the Bearcats board touting Brannen as a great coach. Some of us (myself included) have taken a more cautious approach in comparison to the knee-jerk, sky-is-falling crowd. But even then, the ones who weren't calling for his firing a week ago were pretty lukewarm on him at best.

It's obvious he's gone now. The announcement will be made no later than this time next week, and I suspect we have a new coach announced shortly after. Honestly, I'm pretty indifferent to it. I just hope we don't rob Peter (i.e. using money earmarked for football upgrades) to pay Paul with his buyout, and announce a new coach ASAP so he can hit the transfer portal right away.

UC is going to find a way to weasel out of paying John. Imagine being fick and being told there isn't enough money for your locker renovation, then a few weeks later they cough up a few mil to fire a guy lol
03-26-2021 08:04 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

Sorry. I see most of the Brannen is a great coach comments on 247.
03-26-2021 08:23 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-26-2021 08:04 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  

UC is going to find a way to weasel out of paying John. Imagine being fick and being told there isn't enough money for your locker renovation, then a few weeks later they cough up a few mil to fire a guy lol

Some may argue Brannen found a way to weasel out of his professional obligations that he was getting paid $1.5 million per year to perform at an acceptable level.

When CLF gets accused of mistreating players and pretty much treating everyone like the house help, get back to us.
03-28-2021 09:49 AM
Lurkercat Offline
1st String

(03-28-2021 09:49 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 08:04 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  

Some may argue Brannen found a way to weasel out of his professional obligations that he was getting paid $1.5 million per year to perform at an acceptable level.

When CLF gets accused of mistreating players and pretty much treating everyone like the house help, get back to us.

For the record I think brannen should be fired. No recruits, freshman class left, constantly strikes out in the portal - the program is worse off now than it was when he took over. It's an added bonus if the admin can keep 5 mil while firing him.

But theres no denying they're getting him on a ticky-tack technicality. i don't have the heart for that kind of stuff so it's a good thing I don't manage multimillion dollar organizations lol
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 09:56 AM by Lurkercat.)
03-28-2021 09:55 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Ticky tack or not, if he mistreated players and if he broke NCAA rules, he is going to be faced with a choice...accept a reduced buyout to resign or receive a letter stating the reasons for a for cause firing per his contract. If he wants to litigate, he is free to do so...discovery will be interesting and very public. He’ll be working as a NBA scout the rest of his days.

Same process Greg Marshall faced. He was smart enough to take the $$ and resign.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 10:28 AM by rath v2.0.)
03-28-2021 10:28 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I’d be surprised is Brannen is still UC’s coach in a week or two. Question now is who does UC hire?
03-28-2021 10:56 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Wild assed guess but I’d be surprised if UC really is pushing him out the door that they are not already working back channels for the replacement prior to the Final 4. Archie Miller makes some sense since he has obvious ties in the region, they can backload a contract to him while he gets paid $10.4 million over the next 3 years from IU...he also has high level recruits plus kids in the portal from IU he could go after on day 1.
03-28-2021 11:17 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(03-26-2021 02:23 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  .

Is this the most challenging time, to date, re. the MBB Head Coaches?

AAC schools with optimal/excellent Head Coach situations: 1

Houston

AAC schools with new or first-time Head Coaches: 4

Memphis - can they make their first NCAA under P.H. next season?

Wichita St - Does HC Brown have the skill set to take Shockers to NCAA?

Cincinnati - Brannen under fire, transfers departing

Temple - Still rebuilding,but expected to show some progress in 2021-22

AAC schools with HCs who are receiving heavy criticism on this board: 3

Cincy - Can Cincy reload? Will Brannen be back?

SMU - Rumblings afoot - the anti-"Jank" brigade agitating for change.

Tulsa - Critics of Haith become more vocal; last NCAA was in 2016.

Temple - Still rebuilding,but expected to show some progress in 2021-22 (a force of one?)

AAC schools that won less than half their games in 2020-21:

Tulsa 21-10; 11-12 (32-22 since 2018-19 season) 2021-22 outlook?

UCF 16-14; 11-12 (27-26 since 2018-19 season)

USF 14-17; 9-13 (23-30 since 2018-19 season)

Temple 14-17; 5-11 (19-28 since 2018-19 season)

Tulane 12-18; 10-13 (22-31 since 2018-19 season)

East Carolina 11-20; 8-11 (19-31 since 2018-19 season)

Possible NCAA teams: Houston, Memphis, Wichita State (?)

Possible NIT teams: Wichita St. & 4th place team (?)

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 03:38 PM by GoOwls111.)
03-28-2021 03:37 PM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2021 02:23 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  .

Is this the most challenging time, to date, re. the MBB Head Coaches?

AAC schools with optimal/excellent Head Coach situations: 1

Houston

AAC schools with[b] new or first-time Head Coaches: 4
[/b]
Memphis - can they make their first NCAA under P.H. next season?

Wichita St - Does HC Brown have the skill set to take Shockers to NCAA?

Cincinnati - Brannen under fire, transfers departing

Temple - Still rebuilding,but expected to show some progress in 2021-22

AAC schools with HCs who are receiving heavy criticism on this board: 3

Cincy - Can Cincy reload? Will Brannen be back?

SMU - Rumblings afoot - the anti-"Jank" brigade agitating for change.

Tulsa - Critics of Haith become more vocal; last NCAA was in 2016.

AAC schools that won less than half their games in 2020-21:

Tulsa 21-10; 11-12 (32-22 since 2018-19 season) 2021-22 outlook?

UCF 16-14; 11-12 (27-26 since 2018-19 season)

USF 14-17; 9-13 (23-30 since 2018-19 season)

Temple 14-17; 5-11 (19-28 since 2018-19 season)

Tulane 12-18; 10-13 (22-31 since 2018-19 season)

East Carolina 11-20; 8-11 (19-31 since 2018-19 season)

Possible NCAA teams: Houston, Memphis, Wichita State (?)

Possible NIT teams: Wichita St. & 4th place team (?)

How is Brannen a "new" coach?

He's been here two years. Lost double digits both years.
03-28-2021 08:29 PM
OptimisticCoach Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Myself
(03-26-2021 04:00 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

I'm only speaking for myself.

I think Brannen is just in over-his-head at this level. I'm OK with "how" he was hired (this pisses off other people... It feels like he was hired quickly and out of convenience. Before UC, Brannen coached at NKU, who lent us their arena while 5/3 was being renovated.) He was successful at the D2 and Horizon level...what was "missing" was any coaching experience at a mid-major level. We hired Mick Cronin from Murray State in the OVC, for example. Brannen jumped from a low-level program to a high-level. To be honest, he came with a record of recent success AND existing recruiting connections locally: it was a "natural" hire at the time.

Brannen was also handed a rough hand to work with. Mick Cronin left a core of established players but not much else. He had seemingly slacked off on recruiting, and most of the "Mick" players didn't seem to mesh well with Brannen and they all pretty much left. Factor in the COVID mess and the "Portal"...none of which Brannen could do anything about...and that makes it hard for any coach. Brannen's father died this past year and that also had to hurt.

But Brannen has had NO HS recruits this year. Zip. Nada. None. Then the majority of his team opted out and/or left right after the season finished. I said at the time that it's not so much a "rebuild" now but an enema. Thank God, it wasn't worse: Brannen retained a core of 4 players but the rest of the program was going to have to be rebuilt from scratch anyway. For his part, Brannen doesn't seem to know "how" to act/react. During games, he's brooding and sulky; after the CCG blow-out against Houston, he stomped off the court before the game was even over and sat in the locker-room alone while his team shook hands and stayed on the court. The players who left the program seem to indicate that the main reason they left was "the coach," though specifics have been hard to come by. Brannen himself has been invisible in the wake of the departures; no reassuring comments, no "wishing the guys well," not even a "I'm looking forward to working with the guys who are returning." It's like BB season ended and Brannen left town like Ted Cruz going to Mexico in the wake of the Texas ice-storm...except Cruz quickly came back.

In the end, I think it's best if Brannen and UC each go their own way. I'd like to think that a smart coach would realize that the situation is untenable and negotiate a release...not a firing but a release...so that everyone could start fresh. Brannen could use a fresh start and I hope he gets one. UC needs a fresh start.

I wish Coach Brannen the best of luck...SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Honestly, My opinion is that Brannen is an awkward hardworking knowledgeable human being who may not be so good with daily interactions with people. I also think he's not doing so well with COVID while simultaneously grieving the passing of his father (something people keep diminishing for some reason) and these things are exacerbating the annoying quirks in his personality. Could UC survive his struggles? sure. Should they have to? That up to the people to decide I guess. I'm not insensitive plus I'm more of a football fan anyways so I don't have much to say one way or the other. I do believe that he is more talented as a basketball coach than most give him credit for but, I also think he created a double edged sword for himself and the University. If he stays then the school is keeping a coach that can't coexist with players and if they get rid of him: The University isn't understanding and insensitive. The university has to dig up some dirt so that they can part ways without stirring up too much issues pertaining to the character of the school and how it treats its coaches.

My main red flag when it comes to Brannen is the fact he lost two S&C coaches in 2 years. There is something happening.
03-29-2021 08:29 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Watch him talk...rubs his face, mumbles like he hasn’t slept in days, hunched over like an angsty high school goth kid, looking anywhere but in the eyes of the person or people he’s talking to. His body language generally sucks. If this is how he communicates with the people around him in the program, none of this should be shocking. He’d do well to explore opportunities where he is not the face and voice of a program.
03-29-2021 08:35 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
im not sure he will be fired,
it is already confirmed there was no physical or emotional abuse by like 3 different media sources

according to those sources the players just felt they couldnt trust him anymore.. a team mostly freshman and sophomore, and didnt like how he handled certain things like covid
03-29-2021 09:00 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
It won’t be termed a firing. He’s done.
03-29-2021 09:04 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(03-29-2021 09:00 AM)pesik Wrote:  im not sure he will be fired,
it is already confirmed there was no physical or emotional abuse by like 3 different media sources

according to those sources the players just felt they couldnt trust him anymore.. a team mostly freshman and sophomore, and didnt like how he handled certain things like covid

They're digging up compliance stuff on him, specifically CARA (Countable Athletically Related Activities). Basically, he's getting Ollie'd. He gone.
03-29-2021 09:05 AM
stxrunner Offline
All American

His time in Cincy is definitely over. Just a matter of how much we will be paying him.
03-29-2021 09:19 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Yeah...he is almost certainly gone regardless.
03-29-2021 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.