Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ahead of WAC expansion, Grand Canyon basketball sets model for sustained success
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
Ahead of WAC expansion, Grand Canyon basketball sets model for sustained success
Interesting look at the WAC through the lens of a journalist in Arizona... talks about the quality adds from Division II schools (Tarleton, Dixie & CBU), the commitment made by Grand Canyon to elevate its basketball program and how the realignment that took place will help the league.

Quote:PHOENIX — The Western Athletic Conference will tighten its borders along America’s Sun Belt. In January, the WAC announced that over the next two years, five schools will join the conference, upping the total of full members to 13.

Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin State join the WAC from the Southland Conference, while Southern Utah switches from the Big Sky Conference.

This move marks the end of an era that began in 2013, when seven schools joined the conference. Chicago State, Missouri-Kansas City, Grand Canyon and Utah Valley came into the fold. GCU and Utah Valley hail from states where the WAC had outposts at some point in its history, while UMKC and Chicago State stuck out like sore thumbs. The hope inside the conference was that the eventual next chapter of expansion would feature other Midwest schools to complement UMKC and Chicago State.

When that frontier never opened, the conference went to an already successful model for realignment and elevated high-performing Division II institutions. Currently, five WAC members used to compete at the DII, NAIA or junior college ranks.

Full Story
03-24-2021 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
RE: Ahead of WAC expansion, Grand Canyon basketball sets model for sustained success
Its the nicest Arizon State has ever been to GCU. I guess even they couldn't ignore GCU once they made the tourney.
03-24-2021 10:06 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: Ahead of WAC expansion, Grand Canyon basketball sets model for sustained success
(03-24-2021 10:06 AM)Todor Wrote:  Its the nicest Arizon State has ever been to GCU. I guess even they couldn't ignore GCU once they made the tourney.

Cronkite's students usually do a solid job as preparing journalists in covering sports and other topics. My wife regularly receives interview requests from Cronkite students related to her work in education advocacy across the state and always has high praise for their professionalism and quality of product. Maybe someone should start a GoFundMe for WAC "media" to take a class or two...
03-24-2021 12:07 PM
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU
I think anyone who’s followed the WAC and particularly us as fans of the WAC knew it was just a matter of time before GCU starts making leaps to the next level, talking about success, championships, etc. The commitment, facilities and fan support you all have is great. What I hate is when people bring up the “for-profit” issue when talking about GCU. Like no other college or basketball program is driven by profits. SEC, ACC, BIG10 and the rest are multimillion dollar businesses so they can miss me with the “for-profit” BS.
03-24-2021 12:28 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

Its a publicly traded company. When your stock ticker is literally LOPES, Its nothing like when non profits engage in the exact same activity.
03-24-2021 12:35 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I've been saying it for a while, with all the money GCU has been putting into the basketball program, the only reason GCU hadn't made a greater impact in the WAC thus far was their selection of Dan Majerle as their head coach. I understand he was a splash hire as GCU was trying to get its D1 legs under the program. But after year three of their probationary period, it was very apparent Thunder Dan wasn't going to take GCU to the promise land (the NCAA tournament) and the hopes of becoming the next Gonzaga. Like Menzies for NMSU, Majerle had his limitation as a head coach. Bryce Drew proved that almost immediately. Now, what will be interesting to see is if Drew can follow it up with an encore next season. Now with a real head coach, I expect GCU to be a major factor in the WAC; not just an also-ran.
03-24-2021 12:50 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
I think we can all agree there is a lot of mis-information regarding GCU as a for profit. I get it people love to hang on to something that they think gives GCU an advantage so they have an excuse to feel the way they feel.

GCU is NOT a "for profit". For profit and non profit are a tax filing status. The only entity that matters in this case is the IRS. The IRS considers GCU a Non Profit. The Arizona Department of Ed approved GCU as a Non Profit.

The only entity that considers GCU "for profit" is the United Stated Department of Education. The only impact that has is on Title IV funding. And to that, it's all about gainful employment, which GCU has never had a problem with.

All universities should be held to the gainful employment standards.

Grand Canyon University is not publicly traded, that is false. Grand Canyon Education is and they are an entirely different company who services other institutions including GCU.
03-24-2021 12:51 PM
Advertisement

wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
(03-24-2021 12:51 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  I think we can all agree there is a lot of mis-information regarding GCU as a for profit. I get it people love to hang on to something that they think gives GCU an advantage so they have an excuse to feel the way they feel.

GCU is NOT a "for profit". For profit and non profit are a tax filing status. The only entity that matters in this case is the IRS. The IRS considers GCU a Non Profit. The Arizona Department of Ed approved GCU as a Non Profit.

The only entity that considers GCU "for profit" is the United Stated Department of Education. The only impact that has is on Title IV funding. And to that, it's all about gainful employment, which GCU has never had a problem with.

Grand Canyon University is not publicly traded, that is false. Grand Canyon Education is and they are an entirely different company who services other institutions including GCU.

How dare you bring facts to this board disproving Todor... he knows all and can see the future.
03-24-2021 01:06 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2021 12:51 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  I think we can all agree there is a lot of mis-information regarding GCU as a for profit. I get it people love to hang on to something that they think gives GCU an advantage so they have an excuse to feel the way they feel.

I think its a disadvantage, not an advantage in any way. When Wall Street bought out the assets of the old Grand Canyon and got the accreditation and name, became a publicly traded corporation, the bad publicity and stigma of being for profit was no advantage at all.

Sure, its "Grand Canyon Education" that is the for profit part, not the University. Of course, Grand Canyon Education gets all of its revenue from students. The shell game fools no one.

I couldn't care less if GCU is for profit or not. But its dishonest to pretend its just like any other school. Are they paying you to correct people like they pay their "Havoc" leaders to cheer at games lol?

You say "GCU is NOT a "for profit", and shortly after say the Department of Education says you are. Which is it? Why did you take non profit out of your advertising if you are?

Do you work for them? I know some of the posters from GCU are posting as employees.

I believe I saw your ad for Havoc Leaders on Ziprecruiter.com. I guess that's like a flier on the bulletin board at a non profit school lol.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2021 01:22 PM by Todor.)
03-24-2021 01:13 PM
Advertisement

YesCubanB Offline
Special Teams

My opinion, and just MY opinion, if it’s a WAC school I’m in support of them. Idc about GCUs tax status, idc if they hire coordinators for their student section, and I wouldn’t care if NMSU did it either. In my eyes we’re all WAC schools, all mid majors and all at a disadvantage when it comes to competing with the ACCs of the world. I’ll take any advantage for any WAC school we can get. I’d rather have WAC schools with deep pockets than a broke school. We saw so much complaints about Chi St and the state of their athletic program. Now GCU is an issue because they spend too much money?
03-24-2021 02:52 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

No one said they spend too much money. Their spending is in line with the rest of the conference by and large. And being for profit doesn't mean that they are just rolling in money necessarily. I don't know how much rent they pay on their arena, but it looks nice enough and its definitely cheaper than having to build one of your own. Its working for them and as long as they pay their taxes it doesn't matter to me to their stock price is, if their investors are happy, or what the business section has to say about them.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2021 03:08 PM by Todor.)
03-24-2021 03:04 PM
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
We'll see if they can sustain the success like NMSU has since 2006/2007.
03-24-2021 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.