That video is awesome!
04-06-2021 10:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NorthCoast Away
Your DEFINITIVE MAC source

I Root For: NIU/Equity/Beer
RE: 2021-22 Hoops Transfers and Recruiting
(04-06-2021 10:12 AM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU Recruiting Update:

Zion Russell - COMMITTED- 6’0” - PG - 2* recruit from National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, MD) - I believe he previously attended Hargrave Military Academy and I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’0” to 6’2” (he’s probably 5’11”...). I think before Hargrave, he played at Georgetown Prep. I take it he’s had his sights set on D-I basketball and he’s been jumping to the better opportunity to market himself each year. According to Prep Hoops, Russell is “an explosive scorer who can get going at any point within a game” and has the athletic ability to finish at the rim. I’m struggle a bit to find video of him from any season other than his sophomore year at Georgetown but from what I’ve watched, he’s super quick and can jump...like really jump. His videos obviously highlight him going to the rim, but there’s also a lot of really crafty passes, some outside shooting (he’s got almost a squared up and wide stance when he shoots) and a lot of defense with him both making steals (like straight up robbing opposing point guards somewhere between the top of the key and half court) and also blocking a bunch of shots (like jump shots...3 pointers and he’s blocking them). Kid is really athletic and quick and is creative going to the basket. He looks like he knows how to score and I hate to link a certain name to him but there are similarities with his height, athleticism and muscular build. He's not Kaleb Thornton. Thornton is skinny. This kid is probably the same height but muscular and more jumping ability. Honestly, the thought of Russell, Thornton, Cochran, and Hankerson harassing opposing guards is a very pleasing thought.

Russell has additional offers from Columbia, Boston University, and Bryant.

Unfortunately, Cochran isn't going to be in that mix anymore but I'm loving this guy and so far, I'm loving what Coach Burno has brought to the Huskies.

Yeah, 6’0” appears to be generous judging from that video. Won’t matter if he can ball. And it looks like he can ball.
04-06-2021 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NorthCoast Away
Your DEFINITIVE MAC source

I Root For: NIU/Equity/Beer
(04-06-2021 10:14 AM)Big Red Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 10:11 AM)NorthCoast Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 09:15 AM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  New commit! 6'0 PG Zion Russell

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zion-russell

https://twitter.com/zionrussell24/status...0725874693

Nice. Allow me to embed that for you.

That video is awesome!

Best part, ”For the next FOUR years...”

Let’s hope. #TransferPortalSucksExceptWhenItDoesnt
04-06-2021 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(04-06-2021 10:45 AM)NorthCoast Wrote:  

That video is awesome!

There’s a good video of him in this link when you click on the video tab: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zion-russell

Has some springs!!! He’s 6 ft at best though.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 11:23 AM by BDB5yp.)
04-06-2021 11:23 AM
Big Red Online
All American

I Root For: NIU
(04-06-2021 11:23 AM)BDB5yp Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 10:45 AM)NorthCoast Wrote:  

That video is awesome!

There’s a good video of him in this link when you click on the video tab: https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/zion-russell

Has some springs!!! He’s 6 ft at best though.

So was German and, while it's really unfair to compare him to a guy like Geno, there are A LOT of physical similarities between the two.
04-06-2021 11:36 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Zion Russell - COMMITTED- 6’0” - PG - 2* recruit from National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, MD) - I believe he previously attended Hargrave Military Academy and I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’0” to 6’2” (he’s probably 5’11”...). I think before Hargrave, he played at Georgetown Prep. I take it he’s had his sights set on D-I basketball and he’s been jumping to the better opportunity to market himself each year. According to Prep Hoops, Russell is “an explosive scorer who can get going at any point within a game” and has the athletic ability to finish at the rim. I’m struggle a bit to find video of him from any season other than his sophomore year at Georgetown but from what I’ve watched, he’s super quick and can jump...like really jump. His videos obviously highlight him going to the rim, but there’s also a lot of really crafty passes, some outside shooting (he’s got almost a squared up and wide stance when he shoots) and a lot of defense with him both making steals (like straight up robbing opposing point guards somewhere between the top of the key and half court) and also blocking a bunch of shots (like jump shots...3 pointers and he’s blocking them). Kid is really athletic and quick and is creative going to the basket. He looks like he knows how to score and I hate to link a certain name to him but there are similarities with his height, athleticism and muscular build. He's not Kaleb Thornton. Thornton is skinny. This kid is probably the same height but muscular and more jumping ability. Honestly, the thought of Russell, Thornton, Cochran, and Hankerson harassing opposing guards is a very pleasing thought.

Unfortunately, Cochran isn't going to be in that mix anymore but I'm loving this guy and so far, I'm loving what Coach Burno has brought to the Huskies.

Ohio fan here. My son played with Zion years ago on an AAU team coached by Zion's dad. I've been following him ever since then and the write-up above is accurate. He is explosive. He comes from a really good family. Played on and against some really good teams. If you saw the Showtime documentary about Prince George's County, MD "Basketball County: In the Water", that's where he is from. Another inch or two taller and he isn't playing in the MAC.
04-06-2021 01:04 PM
StevenNIU Offline
1st String

(04-06-2021 01:04 PM)OUVan Wrote:  

Ohio fan here. My son played with Zion years ago on an AAU team coached by Zion's dad. I've been following him ever since then and the write-up above is accurate. He is explosive. He comes from a really good family. Played on and against some really good teams. If you saw the Showtime documentary about Prince George's County, MD "Basketball County: In the Water", that's where he is from. Another inch or two taller and he isn't playing in the MAC.

Thank you for the personal insights on Zion. It is really amazing what Burno is doing so far.
04-06-2021 03:54 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

Coach B has gotten 2 recruits and 2 transfers from Div. 1 schools in the first 3 weeks on the job....with no assistant coaches to help out yet!
You have to wonder what Monty and his coaches were doing when in the past 3 or 4 years, high school recruits were sparse and your transfers came from Juco or Div 2 or 3 ranks.
I do feel Monty was trying hard to recruit, it just seemed he couldn't open any of the doors that were shut because of Patton.
Coach B definitely has some connections to open those doors and being connected to Donovan and the Hurleys doesn't hurt either.
Can't wait to see what he can do when he has a full staff.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 07:14 PM by Schaefer Beer.)
04-06-2021 07:13 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
[quote='Schaefer Beer' pid='17371790' dateline='1617754424']
Coach B has gotten 2 recruits and 2 transfers from Div. 1 schools in the first 3 weeks on the job....with no assistant coaches to help out yet!
You have to wonder what Monty and his coaches were doing when in the past 3 or 4 years, high school recruits were sparse and your transfers came from Juco or Div 2 or 3 ranks.
I do feel Monty was trying hard to recruit, it just seemed he couldn't open any of the doors that were shut because of Patton.
Coach B definitely has some connections to open those doors and being connected to Donovan and the Hurleys doesn't hurt either.
Can't wait to see what he can do when he has a full staff.h]

Maybe he has some assistants but they are waiting until he has a full staff to make the announcement. Otherwise it is strange there have been no staff announcements.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-06-2021 07:24 PM
Big Red Online
All American

MAC Transfer Update:

John Tenerowicz - Transferring from Ohio - Undecided on transfer destination - Junior - 6’1” - SG - 2* recruit from St. Ignatius HS (Cleveland, OH) - I believe John was a walk-on. He spent 3 seasons at Ohio and never really played much. Interestingly, this past year, being a short and weird year as it was, he played in more games (5) than he had in any previous season (4). With that said...John averaged 2.2 minutes and 0.4 ppg/0.2 rpg/0.2 apg/0.0 bpg/0.0 spg/0.2 TOpg/0.2 PFpg shooting 0% from the field (0 for 2) and 100% from the line (2 of 2). Coming out of HS, John didn’t receive any offers. He kind of sounds like the Ohio version of Brandon Danowski or Dan Filippone. I suppose every team needs a guy like that...which makes me realize. NIU doesn’t have one anymore because Danny Boy is shopping his wares on the transfer portal and, I hate to say it but, competition just got serious for him with Tenerowicz declaring himself available for the role of guy who grabs rebounds during warm-ups, is tasked with coming up with a silly dance move to show off during pre-game intros if the team makes it to the NCAA tournament, and providing a spark of excitement on the bench if he gets in a makes a shot. We all know that guy and apparently every program needs that guy. Coaches will always gush over them with praises citing their dedication to the program (whoops...kinda hard to sell that when you’re in the transfer portal) and their hard work in practice and in study tables.

Hey, if you read this far, thank you. What the hell was I supposed to write? I’m kinda committed at this point to including EVERYONE and that means I can’t ignore the Brandon Danowkis, the Dan Filippones and definitely not the John Tenerowiczezezesssss of the world.
04-08-2021 10:08 AM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

(04-08-2021 10:08 AM)Big Red Wrote:  MAC Transfer Update:

John Tenerowicz - Transferring from Ohio - Undecided on transfer destination - Junior - 6’1” - SG - 2* recruit from St. Ignatius HS (Cleveland, OH) - I believe John was a walk-on. He spent 3 seasons at Ohio and never really played much. Interestingly, this past year, being a short and weird year as it was, he played in more games (5) than he had in any previous season (4). With that said...John averaged 2.2 minutes and 0.4 ppg/0.2 rpg/0.2 apg/0.0 bpg/0.0 spg/0.2 TOpg/0.2 PFpg shooting 0% from the field (0 for 2) and 100% from the line (2 of 2). Coming out of HS, John didn’t receive any offers. He kind of sounds like the Ohio version of Brandon Danowski or Dan Filippone. I suppose every team needs a guy like that...which makes me realize. NIU doesn’t have one anymore because Danny Boy is shopping his wares on the transfer portal and, I hate to say it but, competition just got serious for him with Tenerowicz declaring himself available for the role of guy who grabs rebounds during warm-ups, is tasked with coming up with a silly dance move to show off during pre-game intros if the team makes it to the NCAA tournament, and providing a spark of excitement on the bench if he gets in a makes a shot. We all know that guy and apparently every program needs that guy. Coaches will always gush over them with praises citing their dedication to the program (whoops...kinda hard to sell that when you’re in the transfer portal) and their hard work in practice and in study tables.

Hey, if you read this far, thank you. What the hell was I supposed to write? I’m kinda committed at this point to including EVERYONE and that means I can’t ignore the Brandon Danowkis, the Dan Filippones and definitely not the John Tenerowiczezezesssss of the world.

Made for an entertaining read. Keep up the good work.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-08-2021 11:10 AM
Big Red Online
All American

MAC Transfer Update:

Marreon Jackson - Transferring from Toledo to Arizona State - Senior - 6’1” - PG - 2* recruit from Garfield Heights HS (Cleveland) - Jackson has played 4 seasons at Toledo. As a senior, Jackson played and started 30 games averaging 34.2 minutes and 18.1 ppg/6.1 rpg/5.9 apg/1.8 spg shooting 40.3% from the field (34.8% 3PT - 86 of 247) and 90.4% FT (103 of 114). Gran transfer, extra year of eligibility or whatever it is, this is still a huge loss for Toledo and it's looking very much like next year’s Toledo team will be dramatically different from the past couple of seasons. Coming out of HS, Jackson received additional offers from Buffalo, Robert Morris, and Cleveland State.
04-08-2021 04:58 PM
Big Red Online
All American

NIU Recruiting Update:

Chase McKey - 6’9” - PF - 2* recruit from The-Skill-Factory Prep (Woodstock, GA - previously attended Johns Creek HS in Johns Creek, GA) - McKey is tall and long but he’s quite athletic. He’s not overly explosive although he shows better ball handling skills than I initially thought. I’d like to see some more bulk (he basically built like Levi Bradley...maybe a tad thicker/more muscular, but not much) but I’m not sure he will. With that said, he is a post player. He plays around the rim and can do so either as a post player or by driving the lane. He can also finish with either hand. He uses his length well and couples that with good jumping ability. I didn’t see much of his jump shot but what I did see was a real high...like super high release at the top of his shot. This kid is 6’9” and holds the ball well above his head when he shoots from the outside. Maybe a bit too high and he’ll have to bring it down a bit, but I’d probably rather teach a kid to bring the ball down a bit as opposed to raising it.

Overall, I like this kids makeup, how he moves with the ball and how he finishes at the rim. I didn’t see any defense from him but he’s athletic enough and showed enough savvy I think he can play defense at the D-I level in the post. While it’d be nice for him to weigh a bit more, he’s stronger than he looks and could be a disruptive body inside.

Coming out of HS, McKey received additional offers from Old Dominion and Winthrop and coming out of prep school, he has received one other offer from Hampton. He’s obviously been noticed by a certain level of program in the southeast. NIU marks the first school to offer him a scholarship outside of that region. It could be quite the savvy move.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021 11:43 PM by Big Red.)
04-08-2021 05:20 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

(04-08-2021 05:20 PM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU Recruiting Update:

Chase McKey - 6’9” - PF - 2* recruit from The-Skill-Factory Prep (Woodstock, GA - previously attended Johns Creek HS in Johns Creek, GA) - McKey is tall and long but he’s quite athletic. He’s not overly explosive although he shows better ball handling skills than I initially thought. I’d like to see some more bulk (he basically built like Levi Bradley...maybe a tad thicker/more muscular, but not much) but I’m not sure he will. With that said, he is a post player. He plays around the rim and can do so either as a post player or by driving the lane. He can also finish with either hand. He uses his length well and couples that with good jumping ability. I didn’t see much of his jump shot but what I did see was a real high...like super high release at the top of his shot. This kid is 6’9” and holds the ball well above his head when he shoots from the outside. Maybe a bit too high and he’ll have to bring it down a bit, but I’d probably rather teach a kid to bring the ball down a bit as opposed to raising it.

Overall, I like this kids makeup, how he moves with the ball and how he finishes at the rim. I didn’t see any defense from him but he’s athletic enough and showed enough savvy I think he can play defense at the D-I level in the post. While it’d be nice for him to weigh a bit more, he’s stronger than he looks and could be a disruptive body inside.

Is this the steal that Burno alluded to in the podcast from Atlanta?

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-08-2021 08:02 PM
Big Red Online
All American

NIU Recruiting Update (Down the Road - 2022 Recruit):

Pierce Bazil - HS Junior (2022) - 6’3” - PG - 2* recruit from PHHoenix Prep (Phoenix - Lincoln Northeast HS - Lincoln, NE) - What I like about Bazil is he’s 100% not like the guys Burno has been recruiting so far. This guy is a bit of a lanky, if not slightly skinny 6’3” (maybe 6’2”) and is clearly pretty athletic but not in the explosive way. Like, and I have no idea, but I’d almost bet this kid is the QB on the football team and a pitcher on the baseball team. He just comes off as a kid who is a really good athlete at multiple things. As for his basketball skill, I guess he’s a PG. I think his skillset plays more into it. He can go to the rim but he seems more at home anywhere between a mid-range jumper to behind the arc. But almost everything he does is clever. And he is one of the slickest passers I’ve seen. Burno seems to be targeting guys who can pass and Bazil is no different and might be the best. He doesn’t shine with electric and athletic passes. His passes are smart and clever. He’s also got some really quick first moves which catches defenders off guard. He’s not overly fast and he’s an okay jumper (he can dunk pretty easily but it’s just your regular, run of the mill dunk), but he sees the floor and weaknesses in the defense and has the wherewithal to take advantage of those gaps.

I like this kid. He brings a different component than the guys we already have. Plus, I think he’ll develop as a legitimate outside threat and that will help the others who are more designed to go to the rim.

Bazil is only a junior so he hasn’t gotten a ton of attention yet. In addition to NIU, Bazil has received offers from Wayne State (Wayne, NE - D-II) and Colorado Christian (Lakewood, CO - D-II). I don’t think this kid is a D-II player. I’m pretty sure he can play D-I and I’m thinking Coach Burno may be the first of a few D-I offers this kid will get over the next year. I’m pretty hopefully being first may have a lasting impact on Bazil and it gives Burno a year to court this kid into the program.
04-08-2021 09:27 PM
Big Red Online
All American

(04-08-2021 08:02 PM)pantone1935 Wrote:  

I only watched about half of that interview during lunch today (gonna finish it in a bit). But, it could be and would be a fantastic grab for him.
04-08-2021 09:29 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(04-08-2021 09:29 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

I only watched about half of that interview during lunch today (gonna finish it in a bit). But, it could be and would be a fantastic grab for him.

Big Red, by any chance, do you know if McKey received any other Div. 1 offers? Or are we the first?
04-08-2021 10:45 PM
Big Red Online
All American

(04-08-2021 10:45 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

Big Red, by any chance, do you know if McKey received any other Div. 1 offers? Or are we the first?

Okay. Sorry about this. I first posted the write-up on him as an edit to the main part of the recruiting portion of this thread (the 2nd post on Page 1). Then when I copied and pasted it here as its own update, I didn't copy the whole thing. I'll add it to the one you quoted but I'll also add the omitted portion here.

Again...sorry about that. I just didn't drag the highlight far enough to cover the whole write up.

Quote:Coming out of HS, McKey received additional offers from Old Dominion and Winthrop and coming out of prep school, he has received one other offer from Hampton. He’s obviously been noticed by a certain level of program in the southeast. NIU marks the first school to offer him a scholarship outside of that region. It could be quite the savvy move.
04-08-2021 11:43 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(04-08-2021 11:43 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 10:45 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

Okay. Sorry about this. I first posted the write-up on him as an edit to the main part of the recruiting portion of this thread (the 2nd post on Page 1). Then when I copied and pasted it here as its own update, I didn't copy the whole thing. I'll add it to the one you quoted but I'll also add the omitted portion here.

Again...sorry about that. I just didn't drag the highlight far enough to cover the whole write up.

Quote:Coming out of HS, McKey received additional offers from Old Dominion and Winthrop and coming out of prep school, he has received one other offer from Hampton. He’s obviously been noticed by a certain level of program in the southeast. NIU marks the first school to offer him a scholarship outside of that region. It could be quite the savvy move.

BR, nothing for you to apologize for. The information that you provide is phenomenal and the time you sacrifice to provide us top notch analysis and research is very much appreciated.

John Tenerowizc's own Facebook page probably has less info about himself than what you provided us.
Keep up the great work!
04-09-2021 05:40 AM
Big Red Online
All American

NIU Transfer Update:

Darius Beane - Transferring from NIU - Undecided on transfer destination - Junior - 6’3” - PG/SG - 3* recruit from Carbondale HS (Carbondale, IL) - Darius started his career as a walk-on at SIU and then transferred to NIU where he played for 2 seasons. As a junior, Beane played in 17 games (12 starts) averaging 29.8 minutes and 9.7 ppg/4.5 rpg/2.2 apg/1.3 spg while shooting 34.8% from the field (22.6% 3PT - 7 of 31) and 65.3% FT (32 of 49). Darius is an interesting case. I don’t think we’ll ever know if he was on scholarship or not. He wasn’t as SIU which is why his transfer to NIU was so seamless and the fact that his dad was the assistant coach at both locations just muddies the understanding of the situation and makes what has happened today, almost a forgone conclusion. Darius saw his starting time decrease from what I think he and most people expected it to be but his minutes did continue to rise. He was a leader on a team that just never found an identity. I will say this, Darius was always willing to speak in the post-game press conferences and I always felt he was honest and I appreciated his maturity to do so. Darius also wore his heart on his sleeve which is tough to do in a season like this where he was also probably wondering if his dad would have a job come season’s end. I think this greatly affected his shooting as all of his shooting percentages dropped a lot compared to his first two years. Darius is a good kid and I wish him the best. I do wish he was sticking around but I kind of knew he wasn’t. I believe this also indicates the coaching staff is being finalized and that Anthony is not part of that group.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2021 01:31 PM by Big Red.)
04-09-2021 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.