Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Northeastern
Basketball Thoughts
In terms of the CAA next year, we will have to wait until the musical chairs finish in the transfer portal. When the buzzer sounded last week, I would have figured the top teams in the conference next year to be (in no order) NU, JMU, Hofstra and Elon. Not sure if I’m missing anyone

In terms of roster, I think we have 11 players now (- Walker, -Hadley, +To). I guess we have to swim in the transfer portal like everyone else. I agree with whoever said we need a Telfort clone. Obviously a point guard now. I worry about having no alpha on next year’s roster. Someone who can just take the ball and get a bucket when needed

I feel like some of you guys may know the inner workings of the program better than the average person. Do we have a transfer issue, is it just bad luck, or is it just a product of mid major basketball in the 2020’s? I know a few years ago Sean (pros) and Red (power 5) left. Last year, Tomas (role I think), Max (fell off planet Earth it seems – whatever did happen to him) and Myles (playing time) left. This year, Tyson (power 5 I’d guess) so far. I haven’t taken the time to look at our peers but know some have experienced similar losses (Delaware comes to mind) while others have not (Hofstra comes to mind). I don’t know the answer here but am curious what you folks think. Seems to me like bad luck, circumstances and maybe just a product of the times. It’s harder rooting for mid major teams now than before since you often miss out on seeing teams grow together. This one-time transfer rule is one I hope does not repeat

What do you think about Coen? He turns 60 this offseason I know. Do you think he’ll ever get a shot to coach a power 5 team (not sure if he’s even interested – just curious)?

Man, what a terrible job the CAA did this year. Did you see the stat that the CAA finished dead last by a huge margin and only had 56.7% of the games played? The next lowest was the A10 at 72.7%. Between that and the Flohoops feeds, it was a pretty tough year to be a fan
03-16-2021 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
RE: Basketball Thoughts
I don't think we have a "transfer issue." For one thing, for a bunch of years we were largely immune. I don't count Ty Groce. He was here for a week before he got homesick. There was a guard about eight or ten years ago....I forget his name.....he was super quick. His freshman year he had lots of breakaway fast breaks but he seemed to never make the layups. His minutes dropped and he left. I don't count guys who aren't getting the minutes. That just means that, for whatever reasons, coaches don't think you can contribute so a light should go on and you should leave.

The last few years we have not been immune but Myles and Hadley were "minutes" stories. Gresham saw Tyson coming in and probably knew that his starting point guard spot was at risk. (In hindsight he would have lost it.) Murphy was going to be a five for as long as he was at NU but if he was going to have ANY shot at pro hoops he had to show that he could get it done as a forward. I don't know what to think about Max and Occeus. They were more like basketball dropouts than transfers because didnt transfer anywhere.

Coen doesn't have the kind of personality that makes players think, "I can't play for this coach." He is the polar opposite of that.

This year is different. I also hope the suspension of the "sit out year" is a one year thing because we now know what WILL happen as opposed to what might happen. It's happening in all mid major conferences. A friend called me today to tell me that Tre Mitchell is in the portal. He's a UMASS player who is one of the best players in the A Ten. Someone is chirping in the ears of every good mid major player.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021 11:15 PM by NUGUY.)
03-16-2021 09:49 PM
geewizNU Online
All American

So I looked back at the players under Coen who have transferred to other programs.

This doesn't include 5th-year transfers (Gresham), a transfer who never played because of family hardship (Groce), or a player who left due to academics.

Erik Etherly F
Allen Aragbaye G
Alex Bates F
Ryan Pierson C/F
Derrico Peck G
CJ Hill G
Brandon Kmaga G
Derrick Cook G
Myles Franklin G
Tomas Murphy F
Tyson Walker G
J'Vonne Hadley G

Guards Alex Harris and G/F Mathiang Muo left because they failed to meet the academic requirements.

Now, this may seem like a long list, but right now the only player who left and flourished for another program was Erik Etherly.
Etherly transferred to Loyola (MD) and was a leading scorer one year for them. But they're in a lower mid-major program.

Tyson will no doubt be the biggest loss NU will have. I think Hadley can go somewhere and contribute too. If you want to throw in Kamga, okay fine. NU showed we didn't miss him.

For all of those players, 2 and maybe 3 of them can we say were losses to NU. So we don't have a "transfer issue".
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 08:18 PM by geewizNU.)
03-17-2021 08:14 PM
Advertisement

NUGUY Offline
1st String

I Root For: nu
(03-17-2021 08:14 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  So I looked back at the players under Coen who have transferred to other programs.

This doesn't include 5th-year transfers (Gresham), a transfer who never played because of family hardship (Groce), or a player who left due to academics.

Erik Etherly F
Allen Aragbaye G
Alex Bates F
Ryan Pierson C/F
Derrico Peck G
CJ Hill G
Brandon Kmaga G
Derrick Cook G
Myles Franklin G
Tomas Murphy F
Tyson Walker G
J'Vonne Hadley G

Guards Alex Harris and G/F Mathiang Muo left because they failed to meet the academic requirements.

Now, this may seem like a long list, but right now the only player who left and flourished for another program was Erik Etherly.
Etherly transferred to Loyola (MD) and was a leading scorer one year for them. But they're in a lower mid-major program.

Tyson will no doubt be the biggest loss NU will have. I think Hadley can go somewhere and contribute too. If you want to throw in Kamga, okay fine. NU showed we didn't miss him.

For all of those players, 2 and maybe 3 of them can we say were losses to NU. So we don't have a "transfer issue".

Pretty complete analysis. I don't even remember some of those guys!

Also agree with your bottom line. Aside from Tyson the guys who transfer don't make splashes at higher rated programs.
03-17-2021 09:56 PM
geewizNU Online
All American

(03-17-2021 09:56 PM)NUGUY Wrote:  
(03-17-2021 08:14 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  So I looked back at the players under Coen who have transferred to other programs.

Erik Etherly F
Allen Aragbaye G
Alex Bates F
Ryan Pierson C/F
Derrico Peck G
CJ Hill G
Brandon Kmaga G
Derrick Cook G
Myles Franklin G
Tomas Murphy F
Tyson Walker G
J'Vonne Hadley G

Etherly transferred to Loyola (MD) and was a leading scorer one year for them. But they're in a lower mid-major league.

Pretty complete analysis. I don't even remember some of those guys!

Also agree with your bottom line. Aside from Tyson the guys who transfer don't make splashes at higher rated programs.
03-17-2021 10:47 PM
NUFan35 Offline
2nd String

That was a good breakdown of the transfers. I'm glad you guys agree that it is less of an issue and more a result of luck, circumstances and the nature of the beast these days.

I also should have probably included the other side of the ledger. We've done very well with incoming transfers contributing
03-18-2021 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.