Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Women's Tournament
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
NCAA Women's Tournament
A thread for discussion of the women's tournament.

Hey, for some schools who don't have teams in the men's tournament or who are UConn who have awesome women's teams, it's certainly a worthwhile point of discussion. My alma maters Illinois and Penn State didn't make the field so I'm not as big a fan of women's basketball as I should be (I do remember PSU making the women's Final Four one year).

The #1 seeds are Stanford, UConn, South Carolina, and NC State. Only Connecticut made the men's tournament. The #2 seeds are "Louisville (Alamo), Baylor (River Walk), Maryland (Hemisfair) and Texas A&M (Mercado)". The 1-2 pairings are UConn-Baylor, South Carolina-Maryland, NCState-Texas A&M, and Stanford-Louisville. Alamo and Hemisfair meet in the semifinals so that would be Stanford/Louisville vs. South Carolina/Maryland and UConn/Baylor and NC State/Texas A&M.

ACC - 8
SEC - 7
Big Ten - 7
Pac 12 - 6
Big 12 - 5

Full bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s....15.21.pdf
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021 07:31 PM by schmolik.)
03-15-2021 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: NCAA Women's Tournament
of course the big women's news today- Geno came down with COVID. Out the 1st weekend sounds like. The players could probably coach themselves the 1st game of the tournament in the 1/16 game vs High Point. Then Syracuse or South Dakota St in rd 2.
03-15-2021 07:33 PM
schmolik Offline

UConn hasn't won the NCAA Women's Tournament since 2016, by UConn standards that seems so long ago. ESPN.com named UConn freshman Paige Bueckers its player of the year.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...layer-year

I couldn't help noticing Oregon was a #6 seed. In women's basketball, no one was hurt by last season getting canceled more than Oregon. They had the player I knew about the most in Sabrina Ionescu.
03-15-2021 07:47 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Middle Tennessee State junior Anastasia Hayes — perhaps the nation's most versatile player — averaged 26.5 points, 5.6 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.8 steals. And she wasn't chosen to even the second-team All-America squad. No comment.

Middle Tennessee play Tennessee in round one. Could prove interesting.

Go, Blue Raiders.
03-15-2021 07:59 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-15-2021 07:47 PM)schmolik Wrote:  UConn hasn't won the NCAA Women's Tournament since 2016, by UConn standards that seems so long ago. ESPN.com named UConn freshman Paige Bueckers its player of the year.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...layer-year

I couldn't help noticing Oregon was a #6 seed. In women's basketball, no one was hurt by last season getting canceled more than Oregon. They had the player I knew about the most in Sabrina Ionescu.

yeah and she would have had quite the story obviously as she was real close with Kobe Bryant.
03-15-2021 08:01 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Some of the lower seeds were a joke. They gave Bradley an 11 seed, even though Bradley was only 17-11 on the season and had the gift of Missouri State (21-2, a 5 seed) dropping out of the MVC semis after Bradley had some Covid issues. Lehigh (10-5) was a 13 seed - they only played 5 different teams during the season (all of them from the lowly Patriot League). VCU was another joke of a seed at 13

MTSU got screwed. So did SFA in being seeded lower than Bradley. I'm sure there were other questionable seeds if I want to look deeper.
03-15-2021 08:33 PM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Big Sky Champ Idaho State got a 13-seed.

WAC Champ Utah Valley is a 16-seed,

Both Men's and Women's Tournaments the Big Sky Champ is seeded higher than the WAC :)
03-15-2021 08:43 PM
TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
I'm happy to see Lehigh receive a 13 seed. Although, I'm not sure it was warranted.

DePaul's late season collapse really cost them. They were safely in 3 weeks ago....
03-15-2021 09:10 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-15-2021 07:31 PM)schmolik Wrote:  A thread for discussion of the women's tournament.

Hey, for some schools who don't have teams in the men's tournament or who are UConn who have awesome women's teams, it's certainly a worthwhile point of discussion. My alma maters Illinois and Penn State didn't make the field so I'm not as big a fan of women's basketball as I should be (I do remember PSU making the women's Final Four one year).

The #1 seeds are Stanford, UConn, South Carolina, and NC State. Only Connecticut made the men's tournament. The #2 seeds are "Louisville (Alamo), Baylor (River Walk), Maryland (Hemisfair) and Texas A&M (Mercado)". The 1-2 pairings are UConn-Baylor, South Carolina-Maryland, NCState-Texas A&M, and Stanford-Louisville. Alamo and Hemisfair meet in the semifinals so that would be Stanford/Louisville vs. South Carolina/Maryland and UConn/Baylor and NC State/Texas A&M.

ACC - 8
SEC - 7
Big Ten - 7
Pac 12 - 6
Big 12 - 5

Full bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s....15.21.pdf

Not bad at all, and I see all of my favorite D1 teams are in the tourny!!! Woohoo!! I think my aoma mater Montevallo, made the D2 women's tourny

Edit: yes they did make it!!! Yay!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021 05:27 AM by DawgNBama.)
03-16-2021 05:22 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Even David St's team made the D2 tourny for women
03-16-2021 05:29 AM
schmolik Offline

Great start for UConn super freshman Paige Bueckers, she scored 24 points as UConn won easily.
03-22-2021 01:27 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

So far there haven't been the upsets on the women's side but two kind of big ones:

#4 Arkansas lost to #13 Wright State. It's significant because UConn lost just one game this year ... to Arkansas. That was a fluke as Arkansas was 19-8.

#5 Gonzaga lost to #12 Belmont. Yes, Gonzaga lost! OK, it was the women's team:) And hey, good for the Nashville women.

Normally the top four seeds in the women's side host the first two rounds so upsets in those rounds are rare. With all games in Texas in theory there should be a greater chance for upsets (also with fewer games played the NET data for the women should be just like the men, not as accurate). Still a few more 1st round games to play. Maybe the 2nd round is where we will see more upsets. #4 vs. #5 should be evenly matched but most often it's played on the #4's home court. This year the #5's should have more of a chance. Maybe the #6's might beat the #3's.
03-22-2021 07:33 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
#11 BYU beat #6 seed Rutgers. 2 seed A&M escaped over 15 seed Troy (which was an absolute joke of a seed - as I said earlier in this thread there were some teams that were seeded 11, 13, etc. that never, ever should have been that high - they were the true 15 or 16 seeds). Just to refresh your memory, I said VCU was a joke of a 13 seed. They lost 63-32 to Indiana. Bradley is down by 17 currently to an average Texas team. Lehigh lost by 24 to a West Virginia team which lost one of its best players to injury in the game.

If you look at ESPN's women's basketball section, there is an incredibly obvious over-and-back violation late in the game that A&M didn't get called for. It's tough to pull off the upset when the refs are that bad.

The 5-6 top teams will dominate things. The rest of it is just a crapshoot but the committee did a piss poor job of seeding the lower teams, and also gave way too much credit to the ACC (which had 8 of its 13 teams qualify and not one of them has been that impressive in the 1st round).

I still think Rice deserved an at-large bid, but I do realize MTSU didn't do much against Tennessee (even though they were tied at the half). But as I type this, they're closing in on destroying the lone remaining undefeated team in women's basketball. So they're having fun in the Women's NIT so no worries. They wouldn't have won an opening NCAA game anyway.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2021 09:26 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-22-2021 08:21 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(03-15-2021 08:43 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Big Sky Champ Idaho State got a 13-seed.

WAC Champ Utah Valley is a 16-seed,

Both Men's and Women's Tournaments the Big Sky Champ is seeded higher than the WAC :)

Same for the Big West men (UC Santa Barbara) and women (UC Davis) as both were #12 seeds.
03-22-2021 08:39 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Belmont women to roll to the Final Four?
03-23-2021 08:14 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
In fairness to VCU, they were only down five at halftime and 12 in the third quarter, then everything got horrific in the fourth. Not to say they deserved their seed, I didn’t get a chance to watch women’s basketball much this season, but at least for a while they were in it.
03-23-2021 09:37 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

Glad to see there is some discussion about the women's game here.

I won't lie that my main interest in the women's game is Paige Bueckers is blond. I know she's young enough to be my daughter but I find her cute. I will say she is probably the most talked about player in women's basketball this season although it's probably not because she's blond (although it won't hurt her popularity). Also after the disaster of the men's tournament for the most part, it's good to have another tournament to watch.

One of the biggest stories from the women's tournament before it started was the inequality between the men's tournament and women's tournament this year. They were able to compare it more right from the start with both conferences in bubble environments. Several coaches including UConn's Geno Auriemma and South Carolina's Dawn Staley (the 2017 national champions) were up in arms and rightfully so. The NCAA apologized for the differences.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...facilities

I purposely say "men's" basketball frequently at the board because saying basketball by itself and having it imply the men's game is disrespectful to the women (and I graduated from two schools with irrelevant women's programs right now and in Philly Villanova's women's team is respectable but is irrelevant compared to the men's program). But certainly there are schools where the women's team is far superior to the men's team, including at Connecticut (and the men's team has won four national championships since 1999 and made the NCAA Tournament this year). No doubt the men's tournament is more popular and makes more money but women's basketball has to be the most popular college women's sport in the country.

UConn was the team in 1995 that put the women's game on the map when Rebecca Lobo went undefeated and won the national championship. The next year she made the Olympics team and they made headlines, winning the gold medal. The following year, the WNBA was born. I've been to at least one WNBA game at Madison Square Garden before and I saw Connecticut play in the NCAA Tournament in Trenton. I remember seeing several Illinois women's games when I was a student (they sucked but the games were cheap). UConn hasn't won the national championship since 2016, they are the team women's basketball probably needs to put them back on the map, get a team the Northeast can get behind. Hopefully once the pandemic is behind us I can watch Paige when they come to Villanova or maybe the NCAA comes closer to Philly (or who knows, maybe I'd go up to Connecticut, it's not that far away).

I've plugged UConn to the ACC and with the story about the men's vs. women's tournament it further angers me that one of the best if not the best women's teams in the country has to settle for being in a "second tier" conference. The ACC in women's basketball had 8 teams in this years field including #1 seed NC State and #2 seed Louisville. The Big East had 2 teams, the only other team being #10 seed Marquette who lost in the first round. How can women's basketball grow when one of its best teams is basically a "mid major"? True, Gonzaga is "left out" in men's basketball. But should Connecticut really be left out? And it's not like their men's team is that bad.

After watching yesterday's UConn game, the ESPN announcers were plugging the upcoming Sweet 16 game and head to head matchup between Paige Bueckers and Iowa freshman Caitlin Clark, who is tied for the nation in points per game with 26.5.
03-24-2021 07:01 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
UC Santa Barbara's one shot at a national title was derailed by UConn in the Sweet 16 in 2004. Diana Taurasi saw to that. UC Santa Barbara played UConn closer than anybody else they faced in the NCAAs that year.
03-24-2021 10:01 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

It's been weird with women's hoops. Yeah had some big school teams.... But also had a lot of smaller programs doing exceptionally well historically.
03-24-2021 11:37 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-22-2021 08:21 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  #11 BYU beat #6 seed Rutgers. 2 seed A&M escaped over 15 seed Troy (which was an absolute joke of a seed - as I said earlier in this thread there were some teams that were seeded 11, 13, etc. that never, ever should have been that high - they were the true 15 or 16 seeds). Just to refresh your memory, I said VCU was a joke of a 13 seed. They lost 63-32 to Indiana. Bradley is down by 17 currently to an average Texas team. Lehigh lost by 24 to a West Virginia team which lost one of its best players to injury in the game.

If you look at ESPN's women's basketball section, there is an incredibly obvious over-and-back violation late in the game that A&M didn't get called for. It's tough to pull off the upset when the refs are that bad.

The 5-6 top teams will dominate things. The rest of it is just a crapshoot but the committee did a piss poor job of seeding the lower teams, and also gave way too much credit to the ACC (which had 8 of its 13 teams qualify and not one of them has been that impressive in the 1st round).

I still think Rice deserved an at-large bid, but I do realize MTSU didn't do much against Tennessee (even though they were tied at the half). But as I type this, they're closing in on destroying the lone remaining undefeated team in women's basketball. So they're having fun in the Women's NIT so no worries. They wouldn't have won an opening NCAA game anyway.

Looking at the WNIT bracket and very few P5s are there. Seems like anybody P5 with a winning record got in the WNCAA.

Semi-finals are Rice vs. Delaware and Ole Miss vs. Northern Iowa. As you said, Rice beat California Baptist who ended the season 26-1 (they weren't yet eligible for the NCAA as its their 3rd year in Division I). Rice is 21-4 and got snubbed by the NCAA because the lost CUSA finals.
03-24-2021 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.