Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NHL going back to ESPN- and new to Turner
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
NHL going back to ESPN- and new to Turner
at least for part of the contract...

will be so great to hear this music again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2021 10:19 AM by stever20.)
03-09-2021 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

RE: NHL going back to ESPN
03-10-2021 03:00 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Plenty of games left, including playoff games every year and the finals in alternating years, for a second national broadcaster, whether it's NBC or Fox or Turner.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/3103...tform-deal
Quote:ESPN and the NHL announced a seven-year deal on Wednesday, returning hockey to ESPN for the first time since 2004. Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.

The deal also includes opening-night games, the NHL All-Star Game and Skills Challenge and other special events. The NHL's out-of-market streaming package (NHL.TV) is also moving to ESPN+ as part of its subscription offerings.

Also note ESPN signaling that they want future rights deals with other sports leagues to include lots of games for streaming, like the claimed "1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+" in the NHL deal:

Quote:"This agreement clearly underscores The Walt Disney Company's leadership in the sports media landscape and serves as a blueprint for sports deals in the future," Jimmy Pitaro, the chairman of ESPN and sports content for Disney, said in a statement. "We know the power of the NHL and are thrilled to welcome it back as a significant new pillar across our platforms, and we look forward to connecting more deeply and directly with some of the sports world's most passionate fans."
03-10-2021 04:22 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
This will be interesting. ESPN has some guys who love the NHL but more who take a dump on the NHL any chance they get. The latter’s been a problem for 15+ years.

NHL on ESPN music is far better than NBC though. Hope they bring that back.
03-10-2021 07:22 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
How does ESPN manage NBA and NHL coverage? They didn't have NBA last time.

Also notes the use of ESPN+ .... this will be an interesting beast as to how they start playing games with their college sports coverage....
03-10-2021 09:06 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2021 09:06 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Also notes the use of ESPN+ .... this will be an interesting beast as to how they start playing games with their college sports coverage....

For sure. Disney is putting the Stanley Cup Finals on ABC in exchange for landing all those NHL games for ESPN+ and incentivizing puckheads to get ESPN+. They'll do something similar any time they can from now on.
03-10-2021 11:22 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

so old deal from NBC was 2 billion for 10 years or 200 million per

NHL deal is 2.8 billion for 7 years or 400 million per- and it only has about half the rights.

NHL going to get probably nearly triple what they used to get.
03-11-2021 12:19 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(03-11-2021 12:19 AM)stever20 Wrote:  so old deal from NBC was 2 billion for 10 years or 200 million per

NHL deal is 2.8 billion for 7 years or 400 million per- and it only has about half the rights.

NHL going to get probably nearly triple what they used to get.

If you have to prefer one, better more hockey and less basketball on TV at least when it comes to the pros. (College hockey is pretty good sometimes, though, yet too regional for most.)
03-15-2021 11:50 AM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
ESPN was crap to the NHL the last time they had a deal. They've always treated the NHL like a red-headed step child since I've been around.

I'm also annoyed the deal is split.
03-15-2021 06:28 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as a permanent shift in the NBA calendar. Let the NHL have June, the NBA can go into July or August.

The real question is, could the NBA strong-arm the IOC into putting basketball into the Winter Olympics?
03-16-2021 09:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2021 09:54 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as a permanent shift in the NBA calendar. Let the NHL have June, the NBA can go into July or August.

The real question is, could the NBA strong-arm the IOC into putting basketball into the Winter Olympics?

The NBA finals TV audience is 3 times the size of the audience of the NHL finals. But you think the NBA should delay its entire season by two months to accommodate the NHL, rather than the other way around. 01-wingedeagle
03-17-2021 01:37 AM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(03-17-2021 01:37 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-16-2021 09:54 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as a permanent shift in the NBA calendar. Let the NHL have June, the NBA can go into July or August.

The NBA finals TV audience is 3 times the size of the audience of the NHL finals. But you think the NBA should delay its entire season by two months to accommodate the NHL, rather than the other way around. 01-wingedeagle
The NBA has been tossing around a later start and finish for a while now to get into a less crowded part of the sports calendar. Because even if the NBA makes a lot of money, they always will take more.
03-20-2021 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2021 08:37 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(03-17-2021 01:37 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

The NBA has been tossing around a later start and finish for a while now to get into a less crowded part of the sports calendar. Because even if the NBA makes a lot of money, they always will take more.

Some fans have been tossing it around. But it's asinine. TV viewership in July and August is far lower than in other months. TV doesn't want the NBA finals or anyone else's finals then.

Either it's just a dumb idea from people who naively think TV viewership is the same all year round, or it's people with a hidden agenda who don't like the NBA and want them to hold their playoffs when the TV ratings would be lowest.
03-20-2021 08:44 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I'd prefer if NBA was more of a summer sport. More things to watch other then MLB.
03-23-2021 07:54 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

The remainder of the NHL on U.S. TV may be going to Fox and FS1.

Quote:Hockey Night in Canada reporter Chris Johnston, who was first to report that ESPN would acquire the NHL’s primary media rights package, said on-air Saturday that Fox Sports is now the frontrunner to acquire the league’s remaining media rights, ahead of incumbent NBC. That comes within days of WWE president Nick Khan saying that his organization — which has a relationship with NBC through USA Network — is operating under the “belief that NBC and the NHL are not going to continue to be in business together.” The Athletic reported earlier this week NBC was still the “betting favorite” to hold onto the “B” package.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/04...er-league/
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021 01:16 AM by Wedge.)
04-25-2021 01:16 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

I'll change the title on this to add Fox should this be happening.

Will the glowing puck return?
04-25-2021 10:46 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(04-25-2021 01:16 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The remainder of the NHL on U.S. TV may be going to Fox and FS1.

Quote:Hockey Night in Canada reporter Chris Johnston, who was first to report that ESPN would acquire the NHL’s primary media rights package, said on-air Saturday that Fox Sports is now the frontrunner to acquire the league’s remaining media rights, ahead of incumbent NBC. That comes within days of WWE president Nick Khan saying that his organization — which has a relationship with NBC through USA Network — is operating under the “belief that NBC and the NHL are not going to continue to be in business together.” The Athletic reported earlier this week NBC was still the “betting favorite” to hold onto the “B” package.

FOX is an interesting play, but it makes sense. FOX has very little during that time of year.

Even without the RSNs, FOX could dedicate a lot of airtime to the NHL because what else are they going to show?
04-25-2021 06:01 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-25-2021 06:01 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 01:16 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The remainder of the NHL on U.S. TV may be going to Fox and FS1.

FOX is an interesting play, but it makes sense. FOX has very little during that time of year.

Even without the RSNs, FOX could dedicate a lot of airtime to the NHL because what else are they going to show?

NHL rights do make a lot more sense for Fox than for NBC, now that NBC pulled the plug on NBCSN. After the college basketball regular season ends, FS1 has nothing live until college football starts, other than one MLB game per week.
04-25-2021 06:18 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(04-25-2021 06:18 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 06:01 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

NHL rights do make a lot more sense for Fox than for NBC, now that NBC pulled the plug on NBCSN. After the college basketball regular season ends, FS1 has nothing live until college football starts, other than one MLB game per week.

I think the new MLB deal for them which starts next year gets more games for FS1 but still.

does seem like FS1 might be going more pro sports and a bit away from college sports- will be interesting to watch for sure.
04-25-2021 08:36 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

hearing Turner/CBS might be also in the running for the 2nd ESPN piece. NBC has pulled out.

Imagine a Turner Inside the NHL show. Who plays Barkley?
04-26-2021 11:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.