Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's with Pippen and Hamilton
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
RE: What's with Pippen and Hamilton
Sorry - been on spring break and haven't been on here. Don't know much as I haven't inquired. Disappointing for sure.
03-11-2021 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GFlash68 Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Crappies
This is so hard to watch. Curious to find out the story. Right now I feel sorry for Rob because someone must have let him down.
03-11-2021 03:31 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Like Pippen?
03-11-2021 03:33 PM
pembroke1246 Offline
Water Engineer

According to the latest Record Courier article I could find (2017), Senderoff makes $385,000 a year + benefits + expense account to be a basketball coach.

I find it hard to feel sorry for him.
03-11-2021 04:04 PM
roundball4me Offline
Water Engineer

Feel sorry for him? Are the players ones he recruits? You should always have a back-up game plan when you have moody, unmotivated players who you build your game around and they don't show up for the team. This is not the first time we have had players create difficult situations for the rest of the team.
03-11-2021 04:11 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(03-11-2021 03:33 PM)cschierh Wrote:  Like Pippen?

It's amazing, at the mid-major level, what the impact of one player can make. Positive or negative. And this was negative. When guys had to step up in responsibility, they just weren't able. Not in a game like this.

Suddenly guys who were 3rd, 4th, 5th options just a few weeks ago are being asked to carry the team. This ain't Kentucky. Let's hope recruiting brings in a couple of front line guys.

Beck, Nuga and Hamilton (if they return), Jacobs, Gio and the Duquesne transfer should be top tier role players plus at least one stud (Nuga). Maybe one of the recruits fits in the mix quickly as well.

Sadly what the last game looked like is close to what many expected for the season. But the reload was better than one hoped for. Let's hope the staff can do it again.

Last 2 games aside ... THIS WAS A REALLY GOOD SEASON. I'll try to remember that.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2021 04:16 PM by cleveland.)
03-11-2021 04:13 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-11-2021 04:13 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(03-11-2021 03:33 PM)cschierh Wrote:  Like Pippen?

It's amazing, at the mid-major level, what the impact of one player can make. Positive or negative. And this was negative. When guys had to step up in responsibility, they just weren't able. Not in a game like this.

Suddenly guys who were 3rd, 4th, 5th options just a few weeks ago are being asked to carry the team. This ain't Kentucky. Let's hope recruiting brings in a couple of front line guys.

Beck, Nuga and Hamilton (if they return), Jacobs, Gio and the Duquesne transfer should be top tier role players plus at least one stud (Nuga). Maybe one of the recruits fits in the mix quickly as well.

Sadly what the last game looked like is close to what many expected for the season. But the reload was better than one hoped for. Let's hope the staff can do it again.

Last 2 games aside ... THIS WAS A REALLY GOOD SEASON. I'll try to remember that.

Good season but also kind of a typical one. I can’t forget that Ohio St. coach Eldon Miller. Give him a bunch of average BIG 10 players and he would get to the NCAA and win a couple of games. Then one year he had four future #1 NBA draft choices and made the NCAA and won one game. Same coach same result. Solid but couldn’t break through. Kinda of like old 9-3 Earle Bruce.
03-11-2021 04:32 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I don't know what to say. So I'll just quote a Dylan line from 55 years ago that expresses how I feel:

"Sometimes it gets so hard to care
It can’t be this way everywhere..."
03-11-2021 05:00 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
(03-11-2021 04:13 PM)cleveland Wrote:  THIS WAS A REALLY GOOD SEASON.

I know college basketball has changed over the last decade or so, but how on Gods green earth was this a “really good season”?

Swept by your rival, lost your last two games by a combined 36 points and had more humiliating off the court issues.

One NCAA tournament appearance since 2008. I’m ready for major changes.
03-11-2021 05:15 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-11-2021 05:15 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  

I know college basketball has changed over the last decade or so, but how on Gods green earth was this a “really good season”?

Swept by your rival, lost your last two games by a combined 36 points and had more humiliating off the court issues.

AMEN!!!!!
03-11-2021 05:52 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I agree, JimJoyce. It COULD have been a really good season, but for the reasons you mentioned and some others, I would say it was a "fair" season..
03-11-2021 05:54 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I don’t know about anyone else, but discipline issues on a college basketball team, something every team deals with, certainly doesn’t make me feel humiliated. I’m glad we have a coach who will prioritize good behavior no matter how good the player is. Screw up you sit. I’d hate to have a coach who tolerates it and lets it slide because he thinks it gives them a better chance to win. Long term that’s a losing approach.
Disappointing end to the season, but as soon as we lost Nuga, our championship chances were over. Hated to go out line we did, but we were going out sooner or later. We drew sooner this time.
03-11-2021 06:40 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(03-11-2021 04:11 PM)roundball4me Wrote:  Feel sorry for him? Are the players ones he recruits? You should always have a back-up game plan when you have moody, unmotivated players who you build your game around and they don't show up for the team. This is not the first time we have had players create difficult situations for the rest of the team.

Realistically Pippen and Nuga are our best players. No MAC team, in my lifetime, has had the depth to lose their top two players and take it in stride.
03-11-2021 07:05 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

In nearly 20 years of coaching I have never been so relieved to see a season end as I was this fall. All things Covid took a toll on everyone involved.
I hope that all members of the KSU Basketball Program find time to decompress, enjoy family and think back on the positive memories of this unique season.

Go Flashes!
03-11-2021 07:27 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(03-11-2021 05:52 PM)ksu315 Wrote:  
(03-11-2021 05:15 PM)JimJoyce Wrote:  

AMEN!!!!!

This was in relation to expectations at the beginning of the season.

Swept by Akron ... yes. But second game was w/out your top scorer (at that time) who was injured a game earlier and No. 3 scorer sitting out w/a back injury.

First game at their place came with practically no prep (they moved the game up from the end of the year, remember) and was a toss-up to the end.

Half empty is one NCAA since 2008 ... half full is one NCAA since 2017.

Yes, lost last 2 because alledged senior shows his selfishness and immaturity.

I follow this league avidly, not just one team, and know much more than I care to share about multiple programs. And none of this is unusual.

I'll end with this ... yes, KSU has had end-of-season issues recently. But I will also say - particularly with the consistent winning programs at the top of the league - they ALL have AT LEAST one such issue during the season as well, and quite often more.

There are multiple programs around the league that would love to have the issues Kent State (and Buffalo, and Akron, and Toledo, and Ohio etc) have. (anybody remember the Zips recent lockerroom incident)?

As a final note ... knowing what has been written about DP/Hamilton - as a KSU fan would you rather have had DP play the last two games or not?

If KSU had won the last two games w/DP - knowing what happened w/Hamilton - would you still be happy?

The right decision was made, everybody has to deal with it.
03-11-2021 07:41 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
(03-11-2021 06:40 PM)axeme Wrote:  I don’t know about anyone else, but discipline issues on a college basketball team, something every team deals with, certainly doesn’t make me feel humiliated. I’m glad we have a coach who will prioritize good behavior no matter how good the player is. Screw up you sit. I’d hate to have a coach who tolerates it and lets it slide because he thinks it gives them a better chance to win. Long term that’s a losing approach.
Disappointing end to the season, but as soon as we lost Nuga, our championship chances were over. Hated to go out line we did, but we were going out sooner or later. We drew sooner this time.

It is obvious that not everyone agrees with you, but I do. I am more a Sendy fan than ever.
03-11-2021 07:45 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
One comment I'll make about Pippen. I don't know the details of even if it was Sendy's choice to suspend him. But I have to believe him being punished regardless of it being tournament time makes it clear to the young guys what's expected of them.
03-11-2021 07:54 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

No doubt the issues Kent State has had with some players over the years is not restricted to Kent State. It is endemic in college basketball. Suspending Pippen was the right thing to do. And anyway, I doubt they would have beaten OU yesterday even with him. Losing Nuga was huge, I think Senderoff did about as well as could be expected of any coach in adjusting to that loss. With major changes in personnel every year in college basketball in recent years, college basketball is a different animal than it once was. Senderoff has done a great job of re-tooling every year to keep the program from having any sub-.500 seasons. I used to be a critic of Senderoff because the program isn't what it once was, but then I realized he is coaching in a different era.
03-12-2021 02:15 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(03-12-2021 02:15 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  No doubt the issues Kent State has had with some players over the years is not restricted to Kent State. It is endemic in college basketball. Suspending Pippen was the right thing to do. And anyway, I doubt they would have beaten OU yesterday even with him. Losing Nuga was huge, I think Senderoff did about as well as could be expected of any coach in adjusting to that loss. With major changes in personnel every year in college basketball in recent years, college basketball is a different animal than it once was. Senderoff has done a great job of re-tooling every year to keep the program from having any sub-.500 seasons. I used to be a critic of Senderoff because the program isn't what it once was, but then I realized he is coaching in a different era.

This is a bit off topic but ..... since it's established RS is an above average coach in this era of college basketball ... and the MAC as a league is not going to emphasize basketball ... and Kent (or any other MAC program) is going to emphasize basketball ... maybe a way to get ahead of the game is to invest in the coach. ... I'm not talking money (although that's part of it), I'm talking about incentives for playing X number of teams every year from Top 7 conferences ... incentives for beating any number of said teams ... then incentives for advancing to post season play ...

It's a back door way to improvement, IMO, but at least it's something. As you say, this is a different era. Being a consistent winner in a 1-bid league is not what it used to be.

Look at the Toledo head coach ... he's been around over 20 years at 2 different schools - a consistent winner - but has never sniffed the NCAA, has maybe 2 NITs and I'm guessing no more than 2-3 "quality P5" wins outside of the MAC. At UT has substationaly more resources than Kent.

That job ain't easy in the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2021 04:09 PM by cleveland.)
03-12-2021 04:08 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Do we still not know what caused the suspension?
03-12-2021 04:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.