UCONN how is the BE?
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
RE: UCONN how is the BE?
(02-21-2021 04:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 03:10 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 01:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 09:50 AM)esayem Wrote:  Apparently Indiana left all they had on the floor that night because they lost the very next game to Virginia. Was that the game Dakich guarded Jordan?

Yes, Virginia beat Indiana in a very close game in the next round. IIRC it was by a bucket or so.

Ironically, that Virginia team made the Final 4 the year after Ralph Sampson left. Kind of like Tennessee winning the national title in football the year after Peyton Manning left. They lost to a Phi Slamma Jamma Houston team by two points in overtime in the national semifinals. Othell Wilson, Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynice.

FWIW, Virginia had more talent than Indiana as well. Four players made it to the NBA compared to two off of that Indiana team, and the Virginia players played about a thousand more NBA games than the Indiana players did.

That was my final year at UVA. Had a lot of backcourt experience (Wilson, Carlisle and Ricky Stokes were 4th years); and the front court was young and talented (Polynice and Kenton Edelin).

We didn’t get much respect that year because the ACC was absolutely loaded. UNC was ranked first in the nation; Maryland was a top 10 team; Wake and Georgia Tech had top 20 teams; NC State was the defending national champion; and Duke was finally showing signs of what Coach K would build.

Yes, I remember UVA completely flying under the radar that year. Everyone assumed with Sampson gone the team would fall off greatly, and as you say the rest of the ACC was star-studded. But Virginia proved everyone wrong.

Kids around today cannot fathom what a long shadow Ralph Sampson cast over college basketball in the early 1980s. He was almost bigger than life, the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of college hoops. When Georgetown and Patrick Ewing played Sampson and Virginia in late 1982, the game drew a huge TV audience, and I felt like Ewing was a young kid who got schooled by a veteran NBA player.

The game made two covers of SI, before and after the game, at a time when one cover was the gold standard for sporting relevance, and I still remember the "Tower of Power" caption. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't deny it either. Sampson was The Man.

Sampson and Sam Bowie got a lot of love from SI...even when they were in high school. It was unusual to have thin 7+ footers who were athletic. Until the knee injuries in the pros, Sampson was special to watch play.
02-21-2021 05:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-21-2021 04:35 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 04:01 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 08:54 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 06:44 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Imagine being a Notre Dame fan in Baton Rouge for 36 years.... :)

I recall attending the ND vs LSU game in Tiger Stadium back in 1997. I'd only been in BR for two years and had never attended an LSU game. I wore a "loud" Notre Dame sweatshirt to the game (it was a cold November day) and it was basically me in a sea of purple and gold Tiger fans. Quite the lonely feeling, LOL.

Wow you rooted for ND over LSU? I Remember for years on this board you were always called out as an LSU corn dog fan by Big East Homer and Shere and others right? I remember because Big East homer and all his buddies on here joined in on insisting that I was you lol. They thought I was you in a bogus profile....And I started getting called an LSU fan too.
The memories...

Yep! I do have a soft-spot for LSU, I am a quasi-fan, as I live in Baton Rouge and my Niece went there when she was living with me, but I rooted for Notre Dame and always have when they play LSU. Ditto for USF, if we ever play LSU, LOL.

What ever happened to Homer anyway? Never see him anymore.

07-coffee3

Hahahahaha...yeah he was fun to banter with!
I get the quasi fan thing. I have a soft spot for Houston dating back to moving there in early 90’s. I’m also a quasi Sooner fan from my time in Oklahoma. Went to a lot of their games. I’m shocked Houston isn’t with the “P5” by now. Proud sports history across the board. I digress lol..
02-21-2021 05:33 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(02-21-2021 03:54 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 01:55 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 12:30 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 09:45 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-20-2021 04:03 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Daugherty was special...fundamentally sound (like Tim Duncan). The talent on those UNC teams was amazing. It’s hard to believe that he never won a championship, because those Tar Heels were always ranked at the top.

That's a great comparison there between Daugherty and Duncan. It's sad that Daugherty basically only had half of a career. He was still a 19/10 guy in the NBA when back issues forced a premature retirement after just eight seasons. Should have played in to the early 2000s.

Yes, while Dean won two national titles, he probably had the talent to win 10. He arguably coached more talent during his time than even John Wooden.

A decade after Daugherty, in the mid-1990s, he had players like Jerry Stackhouse, Rashad Wallace, Vince Carter, Jeff Macinnis and Antawn Jamison at his disposal. The talent stream was never-ending, but the titles were few and far between.

Agree. I hate to write too much positive about Dean Smith. Even when UVA or Maryland had a power team, the Tar Heels would win more than their fair share. Nevertheless...If the NCAA tournament would have changed from win-or-go-home to best-of-3/5, then Dean Smith teams probably would have won a half-dozen championships.

I believe that the back-up to Brad Daugherty was Warren Martin. A seven footer from Virginia that Terry Holland sought. Smith was just an amazing recruiter.

Yes, he recruited like Nick Saban does at Alabama. Just not with the same final-analysis results.

Just looking at Final 4s: Dean Smith had 11 eleven teams in the FF, and won it twice. Saban has placed 6 teams in the CFP Final 4, and won it 3 times.

There are so many variables that differentiate the sports, as you obviously know. Saban can recruit how many guys on scholarship? Vs. 15. There is a much larger margin for error in a 5 vs. 5 when compared to a 22+ vs. 22+.

Dean Smith wasn’t just a great recruiter, he was a great teacher and a builder of people. I honestly believe he retired when he did because he felt the game had passed him by. That said, he’s 10x the coach Roy Williams is (IMO), even with less titles.

Dean seemed to have a wonderful karma.

A few things of note from his Wiki page (you probably know this info esayem):

UNC student-athletes under Smith achieved a graduation rate of 96.6%

From MSN.com: He willed a $200 check to each of the roughly 180 former lettermen he coached during his 36 years at North Carolina, which included the message "Enjoy a dinner out compliments of Coach Dean Smith.” That's $36,000.

From Sports Illustrated: Smith was known for promoting desegregation. In 1964, Smith joined a local pastor and a black North Carolina theology student to integrate The Pines, a Chapel Hill restaurant. He also integrated the Tar Heels basketball team by recruiting Charlie Scott as the university's first black scholarship athlete.[5] In 1965, Smith helped Howard Lee, a black graduate student at North Carolina, purchase a home in an all-white neighborhood.[9] He opposed the Vietnam War and, in the early 1980s, famously recorded radio spots to promote a freeze on nuclear weapons. He has been a prominent opponent of the death penalty. In 1998, he appeared at a clemency hearing for a death-row inmate and pointed at then-Governor Jim Hunt: "You're a murderer. And I'm a murderer. The death penalty makes us all murderers." As head coach, he periodically held North Carolina basketball practices in North Carolina prisons.[50]
02-21-2021 08:59 PM
bill dazzle Online

(02-21-2021 05:16 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 04:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 03:10 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 01:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-21-2021 09:50 AM)esayem Wrote:  Apparently Indiana left all they had on the floor that night because they lost the very next game to Virginia. Was that the game Dakich guarded Jordan?

Yes, Virginia beat Indiana in a very close game in the next round. IIRC it was by a bucket or so.

Ironically, that Virginia team made the Final 4 the year after Ralph Sampson left. Kind of like Tennessee winning the national title in football the year after Peyton Manning left. They lost to a Phi Slamma Jamma Houston team by two points in overtime in the national semifinals. Othell Wilson, Rick Carlisle and Olden Polynice.

FWIW, Virginia had more talent than Indiana as well. Four players made it to the NBA compared to two off of that Indiana team, and the Virginia players played about a thousand more NBA games than the Indiana players did.

That was my final year at UVA. Had a lot of backcourt experience (Wilson, Carlisle and Ricky Stokes were 4th years); and the front court was young and talented (Polynice and Kenton Edelin).

We didn’t get much respect that year because the ACC was absolutely loaded. UNC was ranked first in the nation; Maryland was a top 10 team; Wake and Georgia Tech had top 20 teams; NC State was the defending national champion; and Duke was finally showing signs of what Coach K would build.

Yes, I remember UVA completely flying under the radar that year. Everyone assumed with Sampson gone the team would fall off greatly, and as you say the rest of the ACC was star-studded. But Virginia proved everyone wrong.

Kids around today cannot fathom what a long shadow Ralph Sampson cast over college basketball in the early 1980s. He was almost bigger than life, the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of college hoops. When Georgetown and Patrick Ewing played Sampson and Virginia in late 1982, the game drew a huge TV audience, and I felt like Ewing was a young kid who got schooled by a veteran NBA player.

The game made two covers of SI, before and after the game, at a time when one cover was the gold standard for sporting relevance, and I still remember the "Tower of Power" caption. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't deny it either. Sampson was The Man.

Sampson and Sam Bowie got a lot of love from SI...even when they were in high school. It was unusual to have thin 7+ footers who were athletic. Until the knee injuries in the pros, Sampson was special to watch play.

Sampson was outstanding when healthy. Amazing talent for his size.
02-21-2021 09:00 PM
bill dazzle Online

(02-21-2021 05:33 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 06:44 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Imagine being a Notre Dame fan in Baton Rouge for 36 years.... :)

I recall attending the ND vs LSU game in Tiger Stadium back in 1997. I'd only been in BR for two years and had never attended an LSU game. I wore a "loud" Notre Dame sweatshirt to the game (it was a cold November day) and it was basically me in a sea of purple and gold Tiger fans. Quite the lonely feeling, LOL.

Wow you rooted for ND over LSU? I Remember for years on this board you were always called out as an LSU corn dog fan by Big East Homer and Shere and others right? I remember because Big East homer and all his buddies on here joined in on insisting that I was you lol. They thought I was you in a bogus profile....And I started getting called an LSU fan too.
The memories...

Yep! I do have a soft-spot for LSU, I am a quasi-fan, as I live in Baton Rouge and my Niece went there when she was living with me, but I rooted for Notre Dame and always have when they play LSU. Ditto for USF, if we ever play LSU, LOL.

07-coffee3

Hahahahaha...yeah he was fun to banter with!
I get the quasi fan thing. I have a soft spot for Houston dating back to moving there in early 90’s. I’m also a quasi Sooner fan from my time in Oklahoma. Went to a lot of their games. I’m shocked Houston isn’t with the “P5” by now. Proud sports history across the board. I digress lol..

I get the feeling, BB777, there are a lot of posters who like multiple college sports programs but do not note this in their personal info.

I never knew anything but being a fan of multiple schools. Both my mother and father had connections to both Vanderbilt and Memphis, so by about 1970 when I was a young lad, I was a fan of both the Commodores and the Tigers. And then my father spent one week during each of six straight summers in Norman, Oklahoma, working on professional certificates for his job (he got all six, indeed). I actually went to Norman two summers with him. He got to know some OU professors and always kind of pulled for the Sooners, so we still do. By the mid-1980s, I had a become a Middle Tennessee State fan (I worked in the athletics department as a student) and then I moved to Chicago in the late 1980s and instantly because a DePaul fan. From that point — and due to family and personal considerations — it has snowballed for me. Lots of schools/teams I root for.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021 09:11 PM by bill dazzle.)
02-21-2021 09:10 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

The memories...

07-coffee3

I was at that 1997 game with my then ten year old son.

November 15, 1997, to be exact. It was a freezing cold, windy day in Baton Rouge.

The stadium was sold out but Notre Dame dominated LSU so completely that LSU fans began to leave around halftime.

By the fourth quarter, there were only about the 5,000 or so ND fans present inside Tiger Stadium, the LSU fans had mostly left by then.

The final score was only 24-6 but it felt like 54-6. LSU could not do anything that day.

Good times.
02-21-2021 10:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I remember a very close (I think) Notre Dame vs. LSU game from the 90’s where the ND QB was hurt taking a purposeful safety. Am I nuts?
02-22-2021 10:53 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(02-21-2021 10:35 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

The memories...

07-coffee3

I was at that 1997 game with my then ten year old son.

November 15, 1997, to be exact. It was a freezing cold, windy day in Baton Rouge.

The stadium was sold out but Notre Dame dominated LSU so completely that LSU fans began to leave around halftime.

By the fourth quarter, there were only about the 5,000 or so ND fans present inside Tiger Stadium, the LSU fans had mostly left by then.

The final score was only 24-6 but it felt like 54-6. LSU could not do anything that day.

Good times.

Yes, for one shining moment, Davie coached a game like we expected him to, LOL. Every unit played well.

IIRC, to this day it remains the only game in ND history where the Irish had no turnovers and no penalties.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 11:09 AM by quo vadis.)
02-22-2021 11:06 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(02-22-2021 10:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  I remember a very close (I think) Notre Dame vs. LSU game from the 90’s where the ND QB was hurt taking a purposeful safety. Am I nuts?

November 1998. Jarious Jackson was hurt on that last play at ND Stadium.

I and about 20 family members were at that game too. I was in that end zone.

ND won to go 9-1 but lost their starting QB on coaching (Bob Davie) stupidity and lost to Southern Cal the next week 10-0
02-22-2021 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(02-22-2021 04:01 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(02-22-2021 10:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  I remember a very close (I think) Notre Dame vs. LSU game from the 90’s where the ND QB was hurt taking a purposeful safety. Am I nuts?

ND won to go 9-1 but lost their starting QB on coaching (Bob Davie) stupidity and lost to Southern Cal the next week 10-0

Yeah! I remember that game.
02-22-2021 04:04 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

Yes, that one stupid play almost surely cost Notre Dame a BCS bowl bid in the first year of the BCS. Instead, the Irish ended up playing NC State or Georgia Tech or somebody in a nobody bowl.

The 1998 LSU game was a great game though. I was at a conference in Phoenix and remember watching it on my hotel TV.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 07:26 PM by quo vadis.)
02-22-2021 07:25 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(02-22-2021 07:25 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, that one stupid play almost surely cost Notre Dame a BCS bowl bid in the first year of the BCS. Instead, the Irish ended up playing NC State or Georgia Tech or somebody in a nobody bowl.

The 1998 LSU game was a great game though. I was at a conference in Phoenix and remember watching it on my hotel TV.

Probably the Gator Bowl when the ACC and the Big East had tie-ins.
02-22-2021 07:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.