Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN+ Now Has Over 12 million subscribers
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: ESPN+ Now Has Over 12 million subscribers

There will now be at least one ESPN+ exclusive NFL game, driving more people to the service. Not to mention Amazon is now getting the Thursday night package. This should pretty well be the final nail in the "Aresco screwed up by letting our games be on ESPN+" coffin.

And yes, I'm looking for any news I can find that detracts from the sh1t show that is USF basketball right now!

USFFan
03-19-2021 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
(03-19-2021 09:16 AM)usffan Wrote:  

There will now be at least one ESPN+ exclusive NFL game, driving more people to the service. Not to mention Amazon is now getting the Thursday night package. This should pretty well be the final nail in the "Aresco screwed up by letting our games be on ESPN+" coffin.

And yes, I'm looking for any news I can find that detracts from the sh1t show that is USF basketball right now!

USFFan

Cable will still have life for another 15 years. But expect a lot of these streaming services look at the Hulu Live TV and YouTube TV model. Right now, Disney is setup prime to be a cable TV provider and now are billing things like FX on Hulu and ESPN+ on Hulu. Disney has really played their cards well. DirecTV and Dish will be done though, the only thing that'll keep them in business is restaurants, bars and hotels.
03-19-2021 08:01 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I watch on the ESPN+ app on my computer or phone more than I watch ESPN on my Youtube TV. The amount of content for someone like me who likes American college sports AND soccer and cricket is amazing.
03-19-2021 08:53 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(03-19-2021 08:53 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I watch on the ESPN+ app on my computer or phone more than I watch ESPN on my Youtube TV. The amount of content for someone like me who likes American college sports AND soccer and cricket is amazing.

Yeah with the casting option it's the death of cable as we know it, though it may take some time. I have enjoyed the plus so far. Hell the nature boy special was worth a month's subscription by itself.
03-19-2021 10:09 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
Interesting Jon Wilner article today indicated that after all this time, the Pac-12 Network only has about 14.8 million subscribers nationwide. Worse yet, out of market subscribers are only paying 11 cents for the network. ESPN+ has almost that many subscribers after just a couple of years---and ESPN+ is getting about $5 a subscriber.
03-20-2021 12:12 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I follow UFC. ESPN+ is worth it just for that, too. Not to mention all the Memphis and AAC games.

I spent a lot of my adult life reading newspaper clippings my mom sent me about Memphis basketball and football. Bet you young'uns can't relate to that, lol.
03-20-2021 04:03 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2021 10:09 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 08:53 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I watch on the ESPN+ app on my computer or phone more than I watch ESPN on my Youtube TV. The amount of content for someone like me who likes American college sports AND soccer and cricket is amazing.

Yeah with the casting option it's the death of cable as we know it, though it may take some time. I have enjoyed the plus so far. Hell the nature boy special was worth a month's subscription by itself.

Not so fast. About 30% of the country still can't stream & won't be able too for the foreseeable future. Until non-metered broadband is universally accessable & available at a reasonable price, then cable (if available) or satellite will still be the go-to choice for that disadvantaged group.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 09:10 AM by Atlanta.)
03-20-2021 09:09 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2021 09:09 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

Not so fast. About 30% of the country still can't stream & won't be able too for the foreseeable future. Until non-metered broadband is universally accessable & available at a reasonable price, then cable (if available) or satellite will still be the go-to choice for that disadvantaged group.

You're looking at the old way of doing things. Already countries in Asia and Africa are skipping this step. Wireless and satellite will cover not just the US but the world with higher speeds than we currently have by the end of the decade.

Our technological ability is not only doubling ever three years or so, the reach of that technology is also doubling about every five years. Welcome to the new world, don't get comfortable the next one will be here tomorrow.
03-20-2021 09:19 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-20-2021 04:03 AM)TripleA Wrote:  I follow UFC. ESPN+ is worth it just for that, too.

Yes. I had never watched UFC, but got in to it last summer when for a while it was like the only sport that the virus hadn't shut down.

Now I'm in to it, and heck, I would pay $10 a month just for the free UFC fight-nights on ESPN+. Then it has a whole ton of other stuff too.

When ESPN+ launched almost three years ago, I swore I'd never get it. I have had it for over two years now and love it. Tremendous value, IMO.
03-22-2021 10:13 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
I might try ESPN + next fall for FB if you can subscribe on a monthly basis. I recently lost one of my free viewing options on my Amazon stick. 04-jawdrop 03-banghead 03-pissed 03-weeping 03-shhhh 04-cheers
03-31-2021 11:21 AM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I've found it to be well worth the cost (I have it as part of the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle).

Full disclosure, though, I've found one thing I don't like is that all streaming can lag a bit. For almost anything non-sports, this isn't a big deal. But in sports it can totally suck. For example, watching a football game and getting a text from somebody that says something like "HOLY SH*T!!!!!!" and on your TV it looks like a boring 2nd down play as the offense breaks the huddle only to find out that the running back gets stripped and a DL picks up the ball and rumbles in for a defensive TD like a minute later really blows. And it's not just that my internet sucks, I've known of others around the country who have experienced the same thing.

USFFan
03-31-2021 12:25 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2021 12:25 PM)usffan Wrote:  I've found it to be well worth the cost (I have it as part of the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle).

Full disclosure, though, I've found one thing I don't like is that all streaming can lag a bit. For almost anything non-sports, this isn't a big deal. But in sports it can totally suck. For example, watching a football game and getting a text from somebody that says something like "HOLY SH*T!!!!!!" and on your TV it looks like a boring 2nd down play as the offense breaks the huddle only to find out that the running back gets stripped and a DL picks up the ball and rumbles in for a defensive TD like a minute later really blows. And it's not just that my internet sucks, I've known of others around the country who have experienced the same thing.

USFFan

Yeah, sling has gone to a watch party type option for shows and I think you will see something similar from others. While it doesn't help much on a big stage if it's a small group of friends I think it will replace the texting. I have noticed it too, I am going to assume it is in the upload and download fluxes.
03-31-2021 01:34 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-31-2021 12:25 PM)usffan Wrote:  I've found it to be well worth the cost (I have it as part of the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle).

USFFan

lol...I have all 3 in that bundle....but Im paying separately. I know its a special kind of stupid to keep allowing that to continue....but I think I keep avoiding dealing with it cuz I know ts going to be a time consuming pain in the butt to get it sorted out.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021 01:59 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-31-2021 01:58 PM
MemphisTigerFreak Offline
Fear God, Not Man

I Root For: Memphis
(03-31-2021 01:58 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

USFFan

lol...I have all 3 in that bundle....but Im paying separately. I know its a special kind of stupid to keep allowing that to continue....but I think I keep avoiding dealing with it cuz I know ts going to be a time consuming pain in the butt to get it sorted out.

Can you not just cancel all of them and then subscribe to the bundle?
04-01-2021 11:13 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

USFFan

Yeah that's me too. I signed up for ESPN+ before Disney+ came out, but then I got the bundle, so I have some weird thing where Google Play charges me $5 for ESPN+ and then someone else charges me $6 for Disney+ and then I get a $2.99 tack on charge for Hulu a few days later or something to make it all add up to the bundle price of $12.99.

It's weird, but I don't mind because it all happens automatically.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021 09:05 AM by quo vadis.)
04-02-2021 09:05 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

USFFan

It shouldn't be, go to hulu and just add the bundle option. You may have to cancel two of them first but that isn't hard. Then they have an option that let's you select the bundle and whatever version of Hulu you want.
04-02-2021 09:37 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-02-2021 09:37 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

USFFan

It shouldn't be, go to hulu and just add the bundle option. You may have to cancel two of them first but that isn't hard. Then they have an option that let's you select the bundle and whatever version of Hulu you want.

Yeah, it is really easy. And for those of us who have Hulu w/Live TV, they have an option to add the ESPN+/Disney+ bundles for $8.99/month (saving like $3, but still).
04-02-2021 09:54 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Most are signing up as part of package deal. Actually want Hulu or Disney.
04-13-2021 08:53 AM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
04-29-2021 02:28 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-20-2021 09:19 AM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 09:09 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  

You're looking at the old way of doing things. Already countries in Asia and Africa are skipping this step. Wireless and satellite will cover not just the US but the world with higher speeds than we currently have by the end of the decade.

Our technological ability is not only doubling ever three years or so, the reach of that technology is also doubling about every five years. Welcome to the new world, don't get comfortable the next one will be here tomorrow.

Yeah pontificate all you want but the FCC maintains 25-30% of America cannot & will not access to internet capabilities to stream over the next decade. Doesn't make sense that providers will just ignore that market that cannot stream.
04-29-2021 08:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.