Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Interesting info from Maxpreps... HS Rankings of Super Bowl rosters
Bookmark and Share
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Interesting info from Maxpreps... HS Rankings of Super Bowl rosters
... the HS ranking of every player in today’s Super Bowl. To say there were a few “misses” is an understatement. Also shows the value of hard work, persistence and self-belief.

After hearing of players leaving to increase their odds of making an NFL roster, it’s painfully apparent how little those rankings mean and how much hard work and persistence do.

Ranking services believed there were 397 QB’s better than Patrick Mahommes. Travis Kelce was ranked in the 1100’s and Tyreek Hill wasn’t ranked at all.

MaxPreps Super Bowl HS Rankings
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2021 11:05 AM by Marc Mensa.)
02-07-2021 10:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
RE: Interesting info from Maxpreps... HS Rankings of Super Bowl rosters
So are you for KC or the underdog?
02-07-2021 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-07-2021 10:47 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  ... the HS ranking of every player in today’s Super Bowl. To say there were a few “misses” is an understatement. Also shows the value of hard work, persistence and self-belief.

After hearing of players leaving to increase their odds of making an NFL roster, it’s painfully apparent how little those rankings mean and how much hard work and persistence do.

Ranking services believed there were 397 QB’s better than Patrick Mahommes. Travis Kelce was ranked in the 1100’s and Tyreek Hill wasn’t ranked at all.

For clarity...397 players better

22 Pro QBs that where better.

But yes...There are tons of guys who are missed. Some of it is improvement, some of it is being in the wrong system in HS...

Football isn't like basketball where your talent will shine no matter what.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2021 11:34 AM by macgar32.)
02-07-2021 11:33 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

(02-07-2021 11:33 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 10:47 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  ... the HS ranking of every player in today’s Super Bowl. To say there were a few “misses” is an understatement. Also shows the value of hard work, persistence and self-belief.

But yes...There are tons of guys who are missed. Some of it is improvement, some of it is being in the wrong system in HS...

Heart and determination are hard to measure, yet in the pros, it’s the key to making it to the 2nd contract.
02-07-2021 11:49 AM
Advertisement

Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
Nice find. I counted:

8 - 5 star
22 - 4 star
30 - 3 star
12 - 2 star
32 - NR (since 2000)
02-07-2021 11:55 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-07-2021 11:33 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

In high school and university. You can be the best wide receiver, but if your team has a bad offensive line and a bad quarterback, it won't matter.
02-07-2021 12:30 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

This thread is like the movie Groundhog Day. Every year somebody posts the statistics quoted and every year we go through the ratings discussion.

High school ratings are imperfect. Kids develop physically, emotionally and intellectually at different rates. Kids have opportunities in some places different from what other players might have. Some programs are run better or worse than some other programs. Some have coaches that get caught cheating or driving drunk or diddling the presidents’ daughter or or or or or. Athletics is no different from most things in life. It’s hard to develop and exact formula for success or show why two seemingly comparable people go different directions or why someone with all the breaks fail and someone with no advantages succeeds. Sometimes it is as simple as a poor kid with talent getting to a structured environment, with a conditioning program and for the first time in their lives a nutrition program to support their bodies to maximum potential.

But all said and done over time more 5 star players go to schools like Alabama and Schools like Alabama send a higher rate of players to the NFL than schools like Memphis. There are more 2* and unranked players overall in the NFL because there are a lot more 2* and unbanked players given chances at smaller lesser renowned schools. Sometimes a Miller proves hard hard hard work and heart and resilience is more important than rankings and there is a long list of 5 stars that don’t pan out.

So yea, interesting stats. And we love talking about our higher ranked class we just signed. And I would rather bet on developing 3-4 star players to success than than unranked and 2 star signees. But I get a special feeling for the underdog that makes it.
02-07-2021 01:57 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline

(02-07-2021 11:32 AM)Hernando Hills Tiger Wrote:  So are you for KC or the underdog?

I’m a Saints fan, so pulling for Tampa just isn’t going to happen.
02-07-2021 03:31 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
In the last NFL draft, two-thirds of the names called were 4 or 5 star recruits.

It just so happens that there are only about 300 consensus 4/5 stars in each class vs like 3500 total draft eligible players each year.
02-07-2021 05:27 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

(02-07-2021 05:27 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  In the last NFL draft, two-thirds of the names called were 4 or 5 star recruits.

It just so happens that there are only about 300 consensus 4/5 stars in each class vs like 3500 total draft eligible players each year.

Yet there are just as many undrafted guys on these two rosters as there are 4/5 star guys...
30% of the league is made up of undrafted players.
02-07-2021 06:15 PM
Advertisement

Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Fournette was rated number 1 running back.
02-07-2021 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2021 01:57 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  This thread is like the movie Groundhog Day. Every year somebody posts the statistics quoted and every year we go through the ratings discussion.

High school ratings are imperfect. Kids develop physically, emotionally and intellectually at different rates. Kids have opportunities in some places different from what other players might have. Some programs are run better or worse than some other programs. Some have coaches that get caught cheating or driving drunk or diddling the presidents’ daughter or or or or or. Athletics is no different from most things in life. It’s hard to develop and exact formula for success or show why two seemingly comparable people go different directions or why someone with all the breaks fail and someone with no advantages succeeds. Sometimes it is as simple as a poor kid with talent getting to a structured environment, with a conditioning program and for the first time in their lives a nutrition program to support their bodies to maximum potential.

But all said and done over time more 5 star players go to schools like Alabama and Schools like Alabama send a higher rate of players to the NFL than schools like Memphis. There are more 2* and unranked players overall in the NFL because there are a lot more 2* and unbanked players given chances at smaller lesser renowned schools. Sometimes a Miller proves hard hard hard work and heart and resilience is more important than rankings and there is a long list of 5 stars that don’t pan out.

So yea, interesting stats. And we love talking about our higher ranked class we just signed. And I would rather bet on developing 3-4 star players to success than than unranked and 2 star signees. But I get a special feeling for the underdog that makes it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-07-2021 09:27 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-07-2021 06:15 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(02-07-2021 05:27 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  In the last NFL draft, two-thirds of the names called were 4 or 5 star recruits.

Yet there are just as many undrafted guys on these two rosters as there are 4/5 star guys...
30% of the league is made up of undrafted players.

Okay?
02-07-2021 11:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.