ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PAGE THREE OF TODAY'S VP SORTS PAGE
ODUwildman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SCSU
RE: PAGE THREE OF TODAY'S VP SORTS PAGE
Coverage is based on flawed reader surveys that only ask specific questions to get a desired outcome of coverage. "It doesn't sell papers" is the driving force, but when you don't ask readers in the survey questions you don't want the answers to, you get what we have now (aside from the industry dying slowly for the last 15-20 years). The Pilot has also been very protective of negative things about ODU that those who had control wanted buried, especially before the merger. There's no passion for journalism there. I have some former colleagues still in the business who still do great work - but there isn't much of a bar set there anymore.

ODU deserved better coverage long before it deserved better coverage.
01-30-2021 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-30-2021 07:40 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  Mid major or not if I wanted to find out about uva or vt. That is fine. ODU should get more ink. I understand they have to cover other universities but you are a norfolk paper.

Actually they aren’t a Norfolk paper anymore. As I type this workers are turning the former Pilot headquarters building into Condos. Maybe you could say used to be a Norfolk paper.
02-01-2021 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bench jockey Online
1st String

I Root For: ODU
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/...the-throat

Want to really know what happened to Pilot and DP and others owned by Tribune Co., read this. Couple this with 15 or so years of buyouts, layoffs etc., and it's remarkable we have anything to read, written by anyone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app
02-01-2021 09:35 AM
bit_9 Offline

02-01-2021 10:22 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I don't know, and don't really care, what is "fair" to ODU in regards to how a private company covers them, but I will say that I think The Pilot is really taking an approach to redefining the niche for a local newspaper that is 180 degrees from what it seems would be most successful. Their focus on national news and politics, and lack of focus on local issues, sports, etc, seems to be the exact opposite of what would get readers. I can, and do, get my politically slanted national news from a dozen other places that are free. Why in the hell would I subscribe to a local paper to get that news from them unless they are doing something different. My recipe for what local newspapers can do to remain relevant would be the following:

1. Focus on local news that I can't get elsewhere.
2. Focus on local sports that I can't get elsewhere.
3. Spend some time on state news from a local perspective.
4. Spend some time on state/regional sports.
5. Cover national stories with zero bias. Just the facts. There is basically nowhere one can go to get this in our current climate. Be that place.
6. Offer editorials that cover both political sides of an issue. Literally two editorials, one on each side.
7. Cover local politics. Just the facts. It gets harder every election to make an educated selection in local elections. This should be considered a duty for the local newspaper.

If the local newspaper does all of those things, it is providing something that I cannot get elsewhere, and thereby provides value for me.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 10:24 AM by Monarchblue.)
02-01-2021 10:22 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(02-01-2021 10:22 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I don't know, and don't really care, what is "fair" to ODU in regards to how a private company covers them, but I will say that I think The Pilot is really taking an approach to redefining the niche for a local newspaper that is 180 degrees from what it seems would be most successful. Their focus on national news and politics, and lack of focus on local issues, sports, etc, seems to be the exact opposite of what would get readers. I can, and do, get my politically slanted national news from a dozen other places that are free. Why in the hell would I subscribe to a local paper to get that news from them unless they are doing something different. My recipe for what local newspapers can do to remain relevant would be the following:

1. Focus on local news that I can't get elsewhere.
2. Focus on local sports that I can't get elsewhere.
3. Spend some time on state news from a local perspective.
4. Spend some time on state/regional sports.
5. Cover national stories with zero bias. Just the facts. There is basically nowhere one can go to get this in our current climate. Be that place.
6. Offer editorials that cover both political sides of an issue. Literally two editorials, one on each side.
7. Cover local politics. Just the facts. It gets harder every election to make an educated selection in local elections. This should be considered a duty for the local newspaper.

If the local newspaper does all of those things, it is providing something that I cannot get elsewhere, and thereby provides value for me.

Agree and I'll add to this... would rather national news not be covered at all. Would like to see local news from the standpoint of investigative journalism. Just being a mouthpiece and getting a quote or statement from a politician, private organization such as the chamber of commerce, university administrator, or bureaucratic agency (be it a police department or a city's head of parks and rec or anything in between) doesn't cut it. Nobody looks into anything or asks tough questions related to anything local anymore.
02-01-2021 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.