Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

men's basketball at ohio
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: men's basketball at ohio
Same crap. Get lead guys try and get there’s. Bad shots lazy D.
01-19-2021 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
This is garbage basketball. We're really complimenting our disorganized offense with no effort on defense.
01-19-2021 06:52 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Our 5th year senior is biggest culprit. Terrible body language when doesn’t get ball.
01-19-2021 06:54 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Our second half defensive is starting to become a big problem. Second straight game we gave up 26 in the first half and more than twice that in the second half.
01-19-2021 06:56 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Phew. Got a lot of things to work on. But a W is a W.
01-19-2021 07:04 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
We’re going nowhere.
01-19-2021 07:06 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I believe the phrase, according to Flash Brass, is....We ain’t going nowhere!!

Never apologize for victories.
01-19-2021 07:13 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

Of our 6 MAC games we've now given up 40+ in the second half 5 times and of those 2 were 50+. In the first halves we've given up 40+ just once, never given up 50+, and have held them under 30 four times. It's been a tale of two halves defensively so far. Seems like teams are making good adjustments to our defense at the half and we're struggling to adjust mid second. Need to work on that. But 4-2 in conference with close loses to a teamed tied for the #1 spot and the only team to beat that team is nothing to be ashamed of.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021 07:21 PM by anti-zip.)
01-19-2021 07:18 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-19-2021 07:18 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Of our 6 MAC games we've now given up 40+ in the second half 5 times and 50+ twice. Seems like teams are making good adjustments to our defense at the half and we're struggling to adjust mid second. Need to work on that. But 4-2 in conference with close loses to a teamed tied for the #1 spot and the only team to beat that team is nothing to be ashamed of.

No question the defense has to get its act together. It's there, as first half efforts show. Team has to start embracing "how" they win, defense, instead of outscoring folks.

As the season has already shown, can't let games come down to the last minute and think you're going to win them all.
01-19-2021 07:23 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

Unfortunately, or fortunately, teams blowing big leads in college basketball has become more and more common. Obviously the 3-point shot and shot clocks play a role. What other reasons there may be is above my pay grade. With Charlie Coles at Miami he took the air out of the ball too early and they'd lose momentum. But it happens very frequently. I remember a home game against BG in 2004 I think it was. KSU had a halftime lead of 20 or 22 and scored the first 2nd half basket then the wheels came off and they lost. At least they won today.
01-19-2021 07:32 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Ah yes. The old...tick tick...
Or. If you prefer...ticky tock...

Either way, I’m with Charlie.
01-19-2021 08:32 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

Charlie Coles was a great coach and a great guy, but all coaches sometimes make bad decisions. It goes with the territory. Using up the shot clock late in the game when you have a decent enough lead is great in theory. But too often I've seen teams turn it over (30 seconds is a long time to be passing the ball around) or, more often, not getting a good shot in the end. I believe you should keep doing what got you the lead in the first place, within reason.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021 08:59 PM by Muskrat.)
01-19-2021 08:52 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(01-19-2021 08:52 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Charlie Coles was a great coach and a great guy, but all coaches sometimes make bad decisions. It goes with the territory. Using up the shot clock late in the game when you have a decent enough lead is great in theory. But too often I've seen teams turn it over (30 seconds is a long time to be passing the ball around) or, more often, not getting a good shot in the end. I believe you should keep doing what got you the lead in the first place, within reason.

While Coles did milk the clock considerably, the true master of this was actually Dambrot. If he had a 2-possession lead at the 4-min timeout he'd milk the clock to the end before he shot it. If Akron missed and got the o-rebound, he'd milk the clock again. Say he scored this time and a 5-point lead was now eight.

Get a stop at the other end (now clock probably under 2-min) and get one more score, the game was over. You could tell this was practiced because he did it too many times.

Sendy does this, too, especially when he had a good scorer (Hall, ADR) on the block. ... The key is having patient guards that can attack the basket (Zabo/Booman) and make FTs.
01-19-2021 11:28 PM
Muskrat Online
1st String

Agree, Cleveland. Milking the clock is great as long as you have practiced it and get a good shot at the end.
01-20-2021 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.