Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: JMU hosting CAA MBB tourney
01-13-2021 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
Makes total sense for 2021. Any word yet if any fans will be permitted to attend?
01-13-2021 10:07 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I suspect they will operate similarly to how they have for JMU home games, depending on state restrictions.
01-13-2021 10:08 AM
Dukester Offline

(01-13-2021 10:07 AM)J.B. Wrote:  Makes total sense for 2021. Any word yet if any fans will be permitted to attend?

Where was it going to be?

That is certainly fun.

I'm guessing we will not know how many fans can attend until later in February.
01-13-2021 10:13 AM
jmudukes001 Offline
Special Teams

Yes, not a big surprise. I think a few of us predicted a couple weeks ago that this would happen when the A-10 said they may move theirs to Richmond.

The CAA tourney was supposed to be in DC.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021 10:48 AM by jmudukes001.)
01-13-2021 10:41 AM
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Yes!!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if somehow enough vaccines were distributed to get the attendance threshold higher than 250? Could be a perfect storm for JMU to steal the CAA auto bid and go dancing in the pandemic year.

Total attendance for the tourney has been terrible anyway since they moved it from Richmond 7 years ago.
Could this be a dry run for future CAA tourneys to be held at the #1 seed’s home? That is what lower conferences already do and the CAA fits right in.
Or maybe a rotation of the 4 newer CAA arenas that have the ability to host a tourney.
01-13-2021 11:28 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(01-13-2021 11:28 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Yes!!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if somehow enough vaccines were distributed to get the attendance threshold higher than 250? Could be a perfect storm for JMU to steal the CAA auto bid and go dancing in the pandemic year.

Total attendance for the tourney has been terrible anyway since they moved it from Richmond 7 years ago.
Could this be a dry run for future CAA tourneys to be held at the #1 seed’s home? That is what lower conferences already do and the CAA fits right in.
Or maybe a rotation of the 4 newer CAA arenas that have the ability to host a tourney.

I understand the move for this year, but after the pandemic, should keep holding the tournament at a neutral site. DC is a great central location, but the DC gym location for the event isn't great. I enjoyed Richmond, Baltimore and North Charleston where you could park at your hotel and walk everywhere. Most campuses would have serious parking issues if they hosted tournaments with fans.

There will never be another CAA tournament like the last few in Richmond when there were 5 VA schools in the league. One year one of the two quarterfinal sessions even sold out.
01-13-2021 11:35 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

Has the CAAT always been sponsored by Hercules Tires?
01-13-2021 12:01 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
JMU hosting CAA MBB tourney
Nah, for a while it was the Va College 529 plan. Va Lottery.

for a while it was something kind of silly that out of state schools made fun of, forgotten what now, maybe Virginia Agriculture or similar. Future farmers of Va maybe? FFV

Pretty big news to be hosting this tourney, hopefully they can pull it off without a bunch of hiccups.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021 12:13 PM by JMUDunk.)
01-13-2021 12:12 PM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2021 11:35 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 11:28 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Yes!!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if somehow enough vaccines were distributed to get the attendance threshold higher than 250? Could be a perfect storm for JMU to steal the CAA auto bid and go dancing in the pandemic year.

I understand the move for this year, but after the pandemic, should keep holding the tournament at a neutral site. DC is a great central location, but the DC gym location for the event isn't great. I enjoyed Richmond, Baltimore and North Charleston where you could park at your hotel and walk everywhere. Most campuses would have serious parking issues if they hosted tournaments with fans.

There will never be another CAA tournament like the last few in Richmond when there were 5 VA schools in the league. One year one of the two quarterfinal sessions even sold out.

The good ol days when the Richmond Mauseleum rocked the finals. For those not old enough to experience how exciting it was, Here's the complete championship game video from 94:
https://caasports.com/news/2020/6/24/caa...inion.aspx
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021 12:15 PM by olddawg.)
01-13-2021 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(01-13-2021 12:15 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

The good ol days when the Richmond Mauseleum rocked the finals. For those not old enough to experience how exciting it was, Here's the complete championship game video from 94:

He he - at 1:31:59 you can see "Soccerduke" (old board regular) hugging Lefty.
01-13-2021 01:19 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU

I was there and recall it being a crazy good game. JMU picked up around 5000 fans for a couple of hours (from VCU) The day before that I think I was a W&M fan for a couple of hours. The CAA used to have some great tournaments.
01-13-2021 01:30 PM
Dukester Offline

(01-13-2021 01:30 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  

I was there and recall it being a crazy good game. JMU picked up around 5000 fans for a couple of hours (from VCU) The day before that I think I was a W&M fan for a couple of hours. The CAA used to have some great tournaments.

Use to always purchase the full tournament ticket until we started bowing out early under Sherm. I know a lot of JMU fans enjoyed hanging out even if JMU got knocked out, but not me. I would watch on TV, but staying down there to watch others was not my thing.
01-13-2021 01:35 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I so much wish JMU played more games like that over the last 25 years
01-13-2021 01:50 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
The one annoying thing about the coliseum was that you couldn't bring your beer back to your seat. Then it was always a rush to hit the head and chug 2 beers and not miss the start of the second half.

The Culuko game is till the only time in my life that I got to "storm" the court. Also got to shake Lefty's hand. Still the most exciting game and finish that I have ever attended.
01-13-2021 03:42 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

The inside of the coliseum reminded me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It inside top looked like the bottom of a space ship.
01-13-2021 04:53 PM
purplesanman Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
(01-13-2021 03:42 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  The one annoying thing about the coliseum was that you couldn't bring your beer back to your seat. Then it was always a rush to hit the head and chug 2 beers and not miss the start of the second half.

The Culuko game is till the only time in my life that I got to "storm" the court. Also got to shake Lefty's hand. Still the most exciting game and finish that I have ever attended.
01-13-2021 06:03 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2021 03:42 PM)NC Tribe Wrote:  The one annoying thing about the coliseum was that you couldn't bring your beer back to your seat. Then it was always a rush to hit the head and chug 2 beers and not miss the start of the second half.

Come to think of it, that was the only time I’ve stormed a basketball court too. It was definitely justified considering the size of the comeback and the autobid that was at stake.
What a complete gut wrencher for ODU. 03-lmfao
01-13-2021 07:12 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol my only court storming was the Tuesday night (I think) before thanksgiving sometime between 04-06 when we beat VMI at the buzzer. (It was a one man court-storming)
01-13-2021 07:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.