Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

David St Rejoice, or Guess Who's WAC, WAC Again?
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
David St Rejoice, or Guess Who's WAC, WAC Again?
[Image: screenshot-twitter-com-2021-01-06-12-37-35.png]
01-06-2021 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: David St Rejoice, or Guess Who's WAC, WAC Again?
+2 for the thread title. DavidSt, as soon as you pop in here, I'll congratulate you with some points as well. Pretty cool to see the WAC coming back together.
01-06-2021 01:02 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Saying that the WAC is "back again" is a gross exaggeration.
01-06-2021 01:08 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(01-06-2021 01:02 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  +2 for the thread title. DavidSt, as soon as you pop in here, I'll congratulate you with some points as well. Pretty cool to see the WAC coming back together.

Check out this insane rambling from 2012
Georgetown
Villanova
VCU
Richmond
Gonzaga
And basically every other college were WAC “targets”

LMAO at Indiana State wanting FBS!

https://davids-davidsthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/
01-06-2021 01:13 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(01-06-2021 01:13 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(01-06-2021 01:02 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  +2 for the thread title. DavidSt, as soon as you pop in here, I'll congratulate you with some points as well. Pretty cool to see the WAC coming back together.

Check out this insane rambling from 2012
Georgetown
Villanova
VCU
Richmond
Gonzaga
And basically every other college were WAC “targets”

LMAO at Indiana State wanting FBS!

https://davids-davidsthoughts.blogspot.com/2012/

He listed dozens of schools. Marquette was not one of them. At least he was spot-on about that.
01-06-2021 01:16 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
So NM State remain FBS Indy and essentially hangs int he league hoping it someday achieves FBS status?
01-06-2021 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(01-06-2021 01:20 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  So NM State remain FBS Indy and essentially hangs int he league hoping it someday achieves FBS status?

A more realistic hope is that realignment among the power conferences in the next few years trickles down to an invite to a G conference.
01-06-2021 01:24 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(01-06-2021 01:20 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  So NM State remain FBS Indy and essentially hangs int he league hoping it someday achieves FBS status?

Right. Probably a decade away, at least
01-06-2021 01:24 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
So when is the announcement that Chicago St is getting kicked to the curb?
01-06-2021 02:03 PM
TexasTerror Offline
1st String

I Root For: SHSU
(01-06-2021 02:03 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  So when is the announcement that Chicago St is getting kicked to the curb?

Ashly Elam, a TV journalist in Beaumont, Texas (home to Lamar) indicated that the same sources who told him about the Jan. 14 press conference and WAC invitation for Lamar in recent weeks also told him Chicago State exit strategy will be announced before then.
01-06-2021 02:24 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

I don't think flying to South Dakota is what the Texas schools had in mind
01-06-2021 02:38 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

Augustana seems like a poor add geographically. Their vetting is probably a smoke screen or bluff.

If these WAC schools really want to be FBS by 2030 then what they are really hoping for is to get some Big Sky schools to flip.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021 02:54 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
01-06-2021 02:54 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(01-06-2021 02:38 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

I don't think flying to South Dakota is what the Texas schools had in mind

That is what I have been telling Matt about that West Texas A&M is what the Texas schools want. Augustana is another Houston Baptist and IWU that the Texas 4 wants to get away from.
01-06-2021 03:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

Updated post from one of the recently closed WAC threads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, full-on "believe every rumor" mode for 2022, with some additional conjecture of my own (* = FB only):

A-Sun (NFB)
East: FGCU, Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Liberty, North Florida, Stetson
West: Bellarmine, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, Lipscomb, North Alabama

Big Sky (FCS)
Cal Poly*, Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Portland State, Sacramento State, UC Davis*, Weber State

Big South (FCS)
FB North: Campbell, Eastern Kentucky*, Hampton, Monmouth*, NC A&T, Robert Morris*
FB South: Central Arkansas*, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Jacksonville State*, Kennesaw State*, North Alabama*
BB East: Campbell, Hampton, High Point, Longwood, NC A&T, Radford
BB West: Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Presbyterian, UNC Asheville, USC Upstate, Winthrop

MVC (NFB)
North: Bradley, Drake, Illinois State, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, Valparaiso
South: Belmont, Evansville, Indiana State, Missouri State, Murray State, Southern Illinois

MVFC (FCS)
Illinois State*, Indiana State*, Missouri State*, Murray State*, North Dakota*, North Dakota State*, Northern Iowa*, South Dakota*, South Dakota State*, Southern Illinois*, Youngstown State*

OVC (FCS)
FB: Austin Peay, Eastern Illinois, Southeast Missouri, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee-Martin, Western Illinois
NFB: Morehead State, SIU Edwardsville

Southland (FCS)
FB: Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, SE Louisiana
NFB: New Orleans, TAMU-Corpus Christi

Summit (NFB)
Denver, Kansas City, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Omaha, Oral Roberts, South Dakota, South Dakota State, St. Thomas

WAC (FCS)
FB: Abilene Christian, Dixie State, Lamar, Northern Colorado*, Sam Houston, Southern Utah, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton State, West Texas A&M(???)
BB East: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton State, UTRGV, West Texas A&M(???)
BB West: Cal Baptist, Dixie State, Grand Canyon, New Mexico State, Seattle, Southern Utah, Utah Valley

To D2 GLVC or NAIA Chicagoland: Chicago State
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2021 11:41 AM by Nerdlinger.)
01-06-2021 03:32 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
Gotta give credit to the WAC and its leadership. It's not long ago that a lot of folks here viewed the WAC as having one foot in the grave and referred to it as the conference of misfit toys. I'm particularly glad for NMSU which was the last school from the old FBS WAC left behind when everyone else bailed from 2010 to 2014 and has persevered through the difficult conference rebuilding process ever since.
01-06-2021 05:51 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

(01-06-2021 05:51 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Gotta give credit to the WAC and its leadership. It's not long ago that a lot of folks here viewed the WAC as having one foot in the grave and referred to it as the conference of misfit toys. I'm particularly glad for NMSU which was the last school from the old FBS WAC left behind when everyone else bailed from 2010 to 2014 and has persevered through the difficult conference rebuilding process ever since.

While it's an improvement to have schools wanting to leave current D1 conferences to join the WAC, I would not say the conference is dramatically improved by these additions. Also, regarding the appeal to the newcomers, it's not that the WAC is a destination conference, but rather one that is weak enough to be co-opted for their own purposes.
01-06-2021 05:55 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

I’m curious to see what the final pieces are that are yet to be set in place.

I imagine them at they’d strongly desire some Big Sky programs. I’m also curious what the Big Sky thinks of this. I mean SUU wasn’t exactly a Big Sky kingpin but now they and their D2 neighbor Dixie St are talking jumping to the next level. Is the Big Sky concerned that they could suffer additional defections?

I’m also wondering if SUU, Dixie St, Tarleton, SF Austin, SHSU, Lamar, and ACU all think they can pull off FBS in a decade or if it’s wishful thinking.
01-06-2021 06:32 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(01-06-2021 05:55 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(01-06-2021 05:51 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  Gotta give credit to the WAC and its leadership. It's not long ago that a lot of folks here viewed the WAC as having one foot in the grave and referred to it as the conference of misfit toys. I'm particularly glad for NMSU which was the last school from the old FBS WAC left behind when everyone else bailed from 2010 to 2014 and has persevered through the difficult conference rebuilding process ever since.

While it's an improvement to have schools wanting to leave current D1 conferences to join the WAC, I would not say the conference is dramatically improved by these additions. Also, regarding the appeal to the newcomers, it's not that the WAC is a destination conference, but rather one that is weak enough to be co-opted for their own purposes.

It depends on the comparison point. It's obviously a very dramatic improvement compared to the bad old days when the conference was desperate to add any D1 non-football school or D2 non-football move-up just to preserve the basketball auto bid. Back in 2012 no one would have dared dream of what we're seeing today. I joined the old WAC board in 1997 or 1998 (can't remember exactly) and in the context of the past 20+ years of WAC history what's happening right now is kind of amazing.
01-06-2021 06:48 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

Of course, just another school that needs to keep up with the Joneses to the detriment of their students, etc.
01-06-2021 06:54 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(01-06-2021 06:54 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

Of course, just another school that needs to keep up with the Joneses to the detriment of their students, etc.

We've always been FBS, so we are the Joneses in this situation fyi... Just sayin'. Riddle me this--- Who do you think pays the athletic bills in Las Cruces?
01-06-2021 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.