jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
RE: ****** THE ULTIMATE OFFICIAL BOISE MEGA THREAD TO END ALL THREADS ******
(01-14-2021 04:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 02:09 AM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 07:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 07:46 PM)Aztec Since 88 Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 07:26 PM)Chappy Wrote:  If BYU is not interested but Boise and SDSU are, I wonder who the 3rd team would be (assuming the goal would be an even number).

UNLV fits the metro feel of most of the AAC.

Vegas is great for visiting fans, as it fairly easy to travel there. It is also great city to host conference tournaments in particularly hoops.

True, but other than being a good city---it has zero brand value for football. Remember---its about adding value. Id think the football brand of Air Force is probably the best fit if we are going to add 3--a nice book end for a conference with the name "American" that also has Navy as one of it most well known members. After that---the next best football brand from the MW would probably be Fresno St. I guess there are worse ideas than doubling up in a state like California.

It's Vegas! They just built a two billion dollar stadium that the Rebels will be calling home. If it was just Vegas then yeah I'd agree with you.

He's talking about a package deal. Boise-SDSU-BYU/Boise-SDSU-UNLV/

Don't get too hung up on yesterday. Think about tomorrow. Fresno? Have you ever been to Fresno? We're talking about now and in the future. Vegas and Memphis were the worst and second worst football programs in the US when Porter was the Memphis coach. Fact.

If Memphis could pull out of that then so could UNLV. Especially with a brand new multi-billion dollar state of the art stadium. Vegas is the sports and entertainment capital of the world. Would you rather have that or ECU and Tulsa? A bad Greenville team or a bad Las Vegas team? Which team has the higher ceiling? C'mon.

Lol...Honestly, I can’t think of a less important factor than it’s appeal as a travel destination.

The AAC is a made for tv league. It’s about brand, media value, and competitive value. There are 2 million people in Vegas and around 3 million in the whole state. Fresno only has about half a million people, but it’s in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley, which has about 4 million people and no pro sports. A second California school helps build interest in a state with 37 million people and gives you 6 extra potential late night starts per year—which has value to ESPN.

I get that UNLV could improve, but we are talking about trying to dominate the G5 slot. UNLV doesn’t do crap for that. Yeah, they are getting a new stadium—but they are also getting an 800 pound NFL gorilla that will suck most of the air out of the sports landscape in Vegas. UNLV barely gets support with no competition—what happens to their season ticket base when the NFL becomes an option for season tickets? That massive NFL stadium might not be the panacea you think it will be. UNLV has the real potential to end up facing what Tulane dealt with playing before small crowds in the Superdome. A small crowd in a massive stadium isn’t the best college football atmosphere.

Your opinion is well intentioned but short on facts. While there isn’t any pro sports in the SJV it doesn’t matter. Pro is king here. No one really cares all that much for college that isn’t eight Oregon or USC.

Fresno is a big city but an awful city with poor travel options. There isn’t **** there, it’s akin to being California’s Lubbock.
01-14-2021 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If we got Boise, San Diego State and UNLV, I'd want the basketball too... I mean I know the travel bill would increase but those are some nice basketball programs.
01-14-2021 09:55 AM
Merrick Offline
Asst. Coach

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-14-2021 09:55 AM)Chappy Wrote:  If we got Boise, San Diego State and UNLV, I'd want the basketball too... I mean I know the travel bill would increase but those are some nice basketball programs.

04-rock
01-14-2021 09:56 AM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(01-14-2021 09:55 AM)Chappy Wrote:  If we got Boise, San Diego State and UNLV, I'd want the basketball too... I mean I know the travel bill would increase but those are some nice basketball programs.

then you need BYU and Gonzaga. BYU can play partial conference schedule and be part of the bowl pool.
01-14-2021 10:24 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-14-2021 06:21 AM)jaredf29 Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 04:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 02:09 AM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 07:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 07:46 PM)Aztec Since 88 Wrote:  Vegas is great for visiting fans, as it fairly easy to travel there. It is also great city to host conference tournaments in particularly hoops.

True, but other than being a good city---it has zero brand value for football. Remember---its about adding value. Id think the football brand of Air Force is probably the best fit if we are going to add 3--a nice book end for a conference with the name "American" that also has Navy as one of it most well known members. After that---the next best football brand from the MW would probably be Fresno St. I guess there are worse ideas than doubling up in a state like California.

It's Vegas! They just built a two billion dollar stadium that the Rebels will be calling home. If it was just Vegas then yeah I'd agree with you.

He's talking about a package deal. Boise-SDSU-BYU/Boise-SDSU-UNLV/

Don't get too hung up on yesterday. Think about tomorrow. Fresno? Have you ever been to Fresno? We're talking about now and in the future. Vegas and Memphis were the worst and second worst football programs in the US when Porter was the Memphis coach. Fact.

If Memphis could pull out of that then so could UNLV. Especially with a brand new multi-billion dollar state of the art stadium. Vegas is the sports and entertainment capital of the world. Would you rather have that or ECU and Tulsa? A bad Greenville team or a bad Las Vegas team? Which team has the higher ceiling? C'mon.

Lol...Honestly, I can’t think of a less important factor than it’s appeal as a travel destination.

The AAC is a made for tv league. It’s about brand, media value, and competitive value. There are 2 million people in Vegas and around 3 million in the whole state. Fresno only has about half a million people, but it’s in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley, which has about 4 million people and no pro sports. A second California school helps build interest in a state with 37 million people and gives you 6 extra potential late night starts per year—which has value to ESPN.

I get that UNLV could improve, but we are talking about trying to dominate the G5 slot. UNLV doesn’t do crap for that. Yeah, they are getting a new stadium—but they are also getting an 800 pound NFL gorilla that will suck most of the air out of the sports landscape in Vegas. UNLV barely gets support with no competition—what happens to their season ticket base when the NFL becomes an option for season tickets? That massive NFL stadium might not be the panacea you think it will be. UNLV has the real potential to end up facing what Tulane dealt with playing before small crowds in the Superdome. A small crowd in a massive stadium isn’t the best college football atmosphere.

Your opinion is well intentioned but short on facts. While there isn’t any pro sports in the SJV it doesn’t matter. Pro is king here. No one really cares all that much for college that isn’t eight Oregon or USC.

Fresno is a big city but an awful city with poor travel options. There isn’t **** there, it’s akin to being California’s Lubbock.

I get that—but pro is King most EVERYWHERE. UNLV will be no different, likely more so with their own NFL team. As for Fresno being a poor destination—who cares? It’s a TV league. Treveling fans make up a minuscule part of crowds. We each rely on our own fans to fill stadiums and UNLV has none.

Fresno generally tends to field very competitive football teams winning the MW championship in 2012, 2013, and 2018. Frenso draws far more fans than UNLV—which is a decent proxy for relative interest in the two programs. Fresno sucked in 2019 (4-8) and still averaged over 31K a game in attendance. UNLV couldnt even break 20K in average attendance in 2019.

Bottom line is UNLV is the MW version UConn football....but without the fading P5 brand name. UNLV’s only value lies in basketball and we wouldn’t be getting that. UNLV does nothing to make the AAC more dominate with respect to the G5 slot—in fact, their crap football program would be an anchor dragging down our league performance relative to other leagues. From a performance standpoint, Literally any other team in the MW would make a better addition than UNLV.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 12:32 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-14-2021 11:53 AM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

01-14-2021 11:58 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-14-2021 11:58 AM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  

I’m fairly sure ESPN has already let it be known they would ante up 14 million a year for the two extra teams—-likely because they have substantial interest in adding 18 potential late night starts (including the MW’s most valuable property) at the budget price of 14 million, around 25% of what it would have cost to buy the whole league. Plus it makes their wholly owned property more attractive by giving it a unique identity in college football as the sports only nationwide football conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 12:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-14-2021 12:11 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

money is legit not our motive...(increase the payout per)

our benefit-- increasing reputation, stabilizing (currently unbalanaced), positioning ourselves for the playoff expansion

sdsu/boise benefit-- increase in payout, entering a league with a drastically better reputation, more access to the ny6, a league better positioned for the playoff expansion, east coast viewership
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 12:51 PM by pesik.)
01-14-2021 12:47 PM
DeeHee33 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF/Sycamores
(01-14-2021 12:11 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I’m fairly sure ESPN has already let it be known they would ante up 14 million a year for the two extra teams—-likely because they have substantial interest in adding 18 potential late night starts (including the MW’s most valuable property) at the budget price of 14 million, around 25% of what it would have cost to buy the whole league. Plus it makes their wholly owned property more attractive by giving it a unique identity in college football as the sports only nationwide football conference.

From just reading this board. It seems as if something involving conference changes is destined to happen. Plus, I haven't read anywhere that these rumors aren't true..
01-14-2021 12:53 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

(01-14-2021 11:53 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I get that—but pro is King most EVERYWHERE. UNLV will be no different, likely more so with their own NFL team. As for Fresno being a poor destination—who cares? It’s a TV league. Treveling fans make up a minuscule part of crowds. We each rely on our own fans to fill stadiums and UNLV has none.

Fresno generally tends to field very competitive football teams winning the MW championship in 2012, 2013, and 2018. Frenso draws far more fans than UNLV—which is a decent proxy for relative interest in the two programs. Fresno sucked in 2019 (4-8) and still averaged over 31K a game in attendance. UNLV couldnt even break 20K in average attendance in 2019.

Bottom line is UNLV is the MW version UConn football....but without the fading P5 brand name. UNLV’s only value lies in basketball and we wouldn’t be getting that. UNLV does nothing to make the AAC more dominate with respect to the G5 slot—in fact, their crap football program would be an anchor dragging down our league performance relative to other leagues. From a performance standpoint, Literally any other team in the MW would make a better addition than UNLV.

Pro is not king everywhere... Like Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina... okay, SEC country, lol.
01-14-2021 01:14 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
(01-14-2021 01:14 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 11:53 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I get that—but pro is King most EVERYWHERE. UNLV will be no different, likely more so with their own NFL team. As for Fresno being a poor destination—who cares? It’s a TV league. Treveling fans make up a minuscule part of crowds. We each rely on our own fans to fill stadiums and UNLV has none.

Pro is not king everywhere... Like Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina... okay, SEC country, lol.

Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbia, and Chapel Hill do not have pro teams. Compare USC to LA Rams, Stanford to the 49ers, Houston to the Texans, Miami to the Dolphins, Tulane to the Saints, Vanderbilt to the Titans, etc.
01-14-2021 01:31 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-14-2021 01:31 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 01:14 PM)Chappy Wrote:  

Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbia, and Chapel Hill do not have pro teams. Compare USC to LA Rams, Stanford to the 49ers, Houston to the Texans, Miami to the Dolphins, Tulane to the Saints, Vanderbilt to the Titans, etc.

In fact, theres not a pro football team in the entire state of Alabama--that likley adds to the SEC viewing strength in places like Birmingham (#1 college tv market). Here is the AC Nielsen year end report on sports for 2016. To get a good snapshot feel for the difference between the NFL and college football, check out the TV ratings viewership highlights time line for the NFL and college (page 10 for NFL and page 26 for college).

https://www.nielsen.com/wp-content/uploa...a-2016.pdf
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 02:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-14-2021 02:02 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(01-13-2021 03:46 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-13-2021 03:29 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  

He says that in passing, quite matter of factly. I'd be interested in how well sourced that factoid is because, while SDSU talks have been speculated, thats hardly proven fact in the public domain.

I think he is reaching with the SDSU talk. Sure the AAC was interested in SDSU when Boise was coming and then the BE split, so interest in SDSU was there as a formal acceptance, but has there been outreach from either side since 2012?
01-14-2021 02:34 PM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(01-14-2021 02:01 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Dennis Dodd discussing San Diego to the AAC talk.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-loose...-76232695/

1) Dodd said he's known about it for a month but couldnt get the doucments.

2) Football only

3) He thinks the strategy is to increase AAC value/destabilize the MW/make the AAC virtually the automatic winner of the G5 slot in a 5-1-2 eight team playoff.

4) Says the 3rd teams is a mystery. Has heard rumor that Army is 3rd team.

5) Doesnt think BYU will be involved.

6) Believes the AAC would largely monopolize the G5 spot in an 8 team playoff if they added Boise and SDSU--mainly because the AAC would probably have 4 or 5 top 25 teams every year. Says thats probably the driver for Aresco looking at this type of expansion.

7) Thinks Pac-12 is superior to AAC due to its TV deal and due to being a power conference---but he also thinks there isnt much difference between the two on the actual football field.

8) Says he thinks the players will get more rights and more input in college sports. One interesting thing he said---he thinks NIL may help teams avoid players sitting out in bowls because NIL buyers/advertisers will have playing in the bowls written into their endorsement contracts.

He didnt say this, its just my speculation----but if the MW is looking at losing 3 rather than just one---that might go a long way toward explaining why the remaining MW teams would have so suddenly softened their stance on ending Boise's special deal.

BYU is crazy for not looking at this as the last realistic slot in the CFP hunt. Plus LDS visibility in a ton of large markets. I don't have any idea what their strategic plan is other than Big 12 or Bust.
01-14-2021 02:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-14-2021 02:34 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  

He says that in passing, quite matter of factly. I'd be interested in how well sourced that factoid is because, while SDSU talks have been speculated, thats hardly proven fact in the public domain.

I think he is reaching with the SDSU talk. Sure the AAC was interested in SDSU when Boise was coming and then the BE split, so interest in SDSU was there as a formal acceptance, but has there been outreach from either side since 2012?

Apparently so. There are now multiple sources are now reporting Boise-SDSU discussions with the AAC. Dodd goes farther indicating he's heard that a 3rd "mystery" team is part of the potential move.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 02:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-14-2021 02:41 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

out of curiosity i went the sdsu forum to see the opinions on everything, and there is tons of misinformation there like crazy:

-- 1st the thread is called "the aac asking sdsu to join"-- when aresco has made it clear that anyone who wants to join the AAC has to reach out first ..most likely sdsu came to us to see the possibilities..it is not the aac trying to convince sdsu to join, but sdsu likely laying down the terms in which they'd feel comfortable jumping

-- someone said the aac buyouts almost took them out last time-- -sdsu didnt play a cent of buyout to the aac.. sdsu and the aac seperated on good terms, and we waived sdsu's buyout

-- numerous post about he mwc tv deal being better-- which is insane-- their tv deal is 3mil, the aac tv deal is 7mil, we have more guaranteed tv games ..and some of their lower end games will not be broadcast at all..(in basketball; boise vs sam houston wasnt broadcast at all, and boise vs weber state was on the mwc website only)..all aac games will be at minimum be on espn+

-- a post said we "lied to them" - that we tricked them into thinking we had members when we didnt..completely ignoring that all the moves reallignment moves happened AFTER they had joined...also that sdsu was vocally still supportive of the aac after those moves.. they even made a statement that they still wanted the aac after Boise left.. and left only because they said they couldn't find a travel partner
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021 03:07 PM by pesik.)
01-14-2021 03:06 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(01-14-2021 02:41 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-14-2021 02:34 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  

Apparently so. There are now multiple sources are now reporting Boise-SDSU discussions with the AAC. Dodd goes farther indicating he's heard that a 3rd "mystery" team is part of the potential move.

I don't doubt this has been ongoing for a long time. So why the leak now? Strategic to get BYU interested?
01-14-2021 03:07 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

either way it looks like both boise and sdsu fans want all sports ... atleast basketball in the aac ..likely so do their adminstration

and our adminstration wants football only...

id love to see the aac logistics on why we are against an all-sports move as on paper sdsu and boise would also strength our basketball league
01-14-2021 03:12 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I want UNLV for the blackjack, scotch, and hookers.
01-14-2021 03:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(01-14-2021 03:20 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  I want UNLV for the blackjack, scotch, and hookers.

[Image: raw]
01-14-2021 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.