ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC expansion and ODU
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: AAC expansion and ODU
We need to forget about the AAC and figure out how to make it work with App state, Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Marshall, WKU, JMU, Charlotte, UAB, MTSU, Ga State and Georgia Southern. I could make a decent argument for most of those schools having more success recently than ODU.
12-28-2020 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(12-28-2020 05:01 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  We need to forget about the AAC and figure out how to make it work with App state, Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Marshall, WKU, JMU, Charlotte, UAB, MTSU, Ga State and Georgia Southern. I could make a decent argument for most of those schools having more success recently than ODU.

In football there’s no question. Each of them have been better over the last 3 years.. In basketball, we should be at or near the top. Though as long as we are with WKU, UAB, Marshall, Liberty and GA St. There should be plenty of competition and no worse than where we currently are. I’d still prefer to tie our hopes to affiliations with Temple and ECU.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020 05:31 PM by monarx.)
12-28-2020 05:30 PM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
Hey, I'm stuck inside with covid and I thought about this long and hard. I wonder what would happen if aac split into 2 conferences, 2 all sports and 1 football. What if they went for football let's say San Diego st boise st byu Colorado st houston SMU Tulsa Tulane Memphis Cincinnati east carolina Florida schools temple navy odu and in non football have San Diego st byu boise st Colorado st houston SMU Tulsa Wichita st Gonzaga st Mary's or st louis in west Memphis Cincinnati Florida schools east carolina temple odu Dayton vcu tulane in east. Would that put them in the p5 category? I think so and in non football have 2 automatic bids. If not I like the sun belt/cusa split.just wondering?
12-28-2020 06:41 PM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(12-28-2020 06:41 PM)jaybird44 Wrote:  Hey, I'm stuck inside with covid and I thought about this long and hard. I wonder what would happen if aac split into 2 conferences, 2 all sports and 1 football. What if they went for football let's say San Diego st boise st byu Colorado st houston SMU Tulsa Tulane Memphis Cincinnati east carolina Florida schools temple navy odu and in non football have San Diego st byu boise st Colorado st houston SMU Tulsa Wichita st Gonzaga st Mary's or st louis in west Memphis Cincinnati Florida schools east carolina temple odu Dayton vcu tulane in east. Would that put them in the p5 category? I think so and in non football have 2 automatic bids. If not I like the sun belt/cusa split.just wondering?

Hope you get well soon! I have a few friends who have gotten it bad, one almost died, got put into a medically induced coma to allow his body to fight more effectively. Thankfully he recovered. I am up for anything that puts ODU sports in a better light. I always thought Jim Jarrett aimed low and while I think Wood is a slight improvement, (not much, but slightly) I still think he is aiming low in the direction of the program. I unfortunately do not see any urgency in conferences to make changes. If this covid shut down can't change things nothing will. I amend that, greed will change things so nothing will happen until the P5 break away from the NCAA. Then and only then will the rest of folks do something to try and position themselves in the strongest position, becasue their dreams of being in the ACC or B1G will be over.
12-29-2020 11:33 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

Dr Jarrat vs Wood Is a choice between “selective excellence” or “overall mediocrity”. I know when he was hired, the coaches liked Wood early on. It’d be interesting to know if that’s still the case. Us “hiring Wood away from WKU” is looking more and more like when “UNCW hires Barefoot away from ODU women’s hoops”. It would seem both saved face by getting hired away instead of fired away.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 11:41 AM by monarx.)
12-29-2020 11:41 AM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
Just had another thought, when the P5 split with the NCAA, I hope the NCAA places rules in place that will not allow P-5 schools to poach players from NCAA member schools. I think there needs to be some level of negative for not being part of the organization. And I do not think they can do things half way and have football be separate and the rest of sports be in the NCAA. You should be in or be out. I know I am living in a pipe dream but I am so tired of schools like ODU being crapped on while school like Alabama or Penn State skate by or just ignore the rules.
12-29-2020 11:49 AM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2020 11:49 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  Just had another thought, when the P5 split with the NCAA, I hope the NCAA places rules in place that will not allow P-5 schools to poach players from NCAA member schools. I think there needs to be some level of negative for not being part of the organization. And I do not think they can do things half way and have football be separate and the rest of sports be in the NCAA. You should be in or be out. I know I am living in a pipe dream but I am so tired of schools like ODU being crapped on while school like Alabama or Penn State skate by or just ignore the rules.

Never happen. You can’t tell a kid they can’t transfer somewhere. And if the P5s aren’t even part of the NCAA there is no reason for them to follow their rules at all. The NCAA could make a rule where if a kid transfers down from P5 to FBS they don’t have to sit out, but G5 to G5 you do. Point being if the Ps break away there will be no rules at all. They can do whatever they want. Buy players homes, pay their parents Or the players openly, signing bonuses, sponsorships whatever could all be on the table. The NCAA needs to hold on to amateurism and promoting student athleticism. Let’s the Ps deal with the headaches of smi-pro if they want.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 12:27 PM by monarx.)
12-29-2020 12:26 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-29-2020 11:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Dr Jarrat vs Wood Is a choice between “selective excellence” or “overall mediocrity”. I know when he was hired, the coaches liked Wood early on. It’d be interesting to know if that’s still the case. Us “hiring Wood away from WKU” is looking more and more like when “UNCW hires Barefoot away from ODU women’s hoops”. It would seem both saved face by getting hired away instead of fired away.

That's a disturbing simile.... but it may very well turn out to be accurate. 03-banghead
12-29-2020 01:04 PM
bluelight Offline
1st String

(12-29-2020 11:41 AM)monarx Wrote:  Dr Jarrat vs Wood Is a choice between “selective excellence” or “overall mediocrity”. I know when he was hired, the coaches liked Wood early on. It’d be interesting to know if that’s still the case. Us “hiring Wood away from WKU” is looking more and more like when “UNCW hires Barefoot away from ODU women’s hoops”. It would seem both saved face by getting hired away instead of fired away.

When all the teams in C-USA decided to play football except ODU, Wood needs to go! Remember states like Florida, Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina and others where hit hard from Covid19, but they still played football. Just think, if we played football we would make money on weekly TV games and Bowl revenues. Virginia is one of the lowest states for Covid-19, in the conference. Wood must go, we are losing too much money and he is making more than he deserves. Bring Benson back. A young man with young ideas. Still looking for PR on salary cuts in the athletic department. In looking at the basketball players we lose this year and next, that will leave very little. Then JJ can fulfill his contract and retire. Wood is not going to do anything, even we have a so so season. The high light film tells it all. We have lost the glory days.
12-29-2020 04:08 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-29-2020 04:08 PM)bluelight Wrote:  

When all the teams in C-USA decided to play football except ODU, Wood needs to go! Remember states like Florida, Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina and others where hit hard from Covid19, but they still played football. Just think, if we played football we would make money on weekly TV games and Bowl revenues. Virginia is one of the lowest states for Covid-19, in the conference. Wood must go, we are losing too much money and he is making more than he deserves. Bring Benson back. A young man with young ideas. Still looking for PR on salary cuts in the athletic department. In looking at the basketball players we lose this year and next, that will leave very little. Then JJ can fulfill his contract and retire. Wood is not going to do anything, even we have a so so season. The high light film tells it all. We have lost the glory days.

While I am not disagreeing with most of what you said, Wood did not make the decision not to play in a vacuum. The ultimate decider was pres. Broderick.
04-cheers
12-29-2020 04:59 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

You can really tell who knows about the inner workings at ODU and ODAF when they start sharing their opinions on Wood and Broderick, especially when it comes to the decision to not play.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 05:15 PM by Monarchist13.)
12-29-2020 05:14 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

(12-29-2020 05:14 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  You can really tell who knows about the inner workings at ODU and ODAF when they start sharing their opinions on Wood and Broderick, especially when it comes to the decision to not play.

FWIW, I admittedly don’t know Jack about the inner workings. I base my speculation by the results of our programs under each person.
12-29-2020 05:46 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

Blue light is an idiot. No credibility on any subject. Ignore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using CSNbbs mobile app
12-29-2020 06:08 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2020 06:08 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  Blue light is an idiot. No credibility on any subject. Ignore.

Thanks, Wood.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
12-29-2020 07:41 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(12-29-2020 05:46 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(12-29-2020 05:14 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  You can really tell who knows about the inner workings at ODU and ODAF when they start sharing their opinions on Wood and Broderick, especially when it comes to the decision to not play.

FWIW, I admittedly don’t know Jack about the inner workings. I base my speculation by the results of our programs under each person.

I would be interested to see results if Jarrett had been the AD during this era. He didn't want football, but was pushed by President Broderick and the entire BOV. If he came aboard as AD around when Wood did, and we don't add FB do we dedicate the same budgets towards basketballs (same as VCU)? If ODU would still have added FB, I don't believe Jarrett would have been any better in cultivating success in this athletic climate. I'm not leaning towards any pro-Jarrett/pro-Wood, but since the presence of female athletics in the national landscape from then/now, comparing program success under each person doesn't compare apples to apples.
12-30-2020 10:58 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-29-2020 04:59 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

While I am not disagreeing with most of what you said, Wood did not make the decision not to play in a vacuum. The ultimate decider was pres. Broderick.
04-cheers

Any evidence that Wood wanted to play and Broderick vetoed it? Given Broderick's retirement and the fan base turning on Wood, I would think that it'd be in their best interest to let Broderick fall on the sword with this one. I guess they'll wait until Broderick is off campus and Wood is on his knees in front of the new administration begging for his job before they unleash Baghdad Bob and throw Broderick under the bus.
12-30-2020 11:23 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I don't know about the inner workings, but help me understand why we are paying Wood so much money if he isn't making hard decisions.
12-30-2020 11:25 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(12-29-2020 07:41 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(12-29-2020 06:08 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  Blue light is an idiot. No credibility on any subject. Ignore.

Thanks, Wood.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I stand by my statement.
12-30-2020 01:22 PM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(12-30-2020 11:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(12-29-2020 04:59 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

04-cheers

Any evidence that Wood wanted to play and Broderick vetoed it? Given Broderick's retirement and the fan base turning on Wood, I would think that it'd be in their best interest to let Broderick fall on the sword with this one. I guess they'll wait until Broderick is off campus and Wood is on his knees in front of the new administration begging for his job before they unleash Baghdad Bob and throw Broderick under the bus.

By "fan base" you mean the 10 people, max, on here who crap on every coach, decision and anything else to do with ODU? You mean hardcore fans like you? . . . Only a fool would think that decisions of the magnitude of whether to have football or whether to play in a pandemic were made by one person and one person only. . . .Only a fool would think that a person hired by the university would write the kind of trash you'd like to read about ODU.
12-30-2020 01:26 PM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
Yea, I think I've missed any real evidence that the fan base has turned on Wood. I see the frequent writers on here trying to drum up anti-administration support but I also see ODU Athletics raising more money than it ever has year after year with an even larger $5m gift to fund the current pandemic year's scholarship bill. If that isn't evidence to the contrary, I'm following the wrong indicators here.

Or perhaps the real fans are here and fake fans just cut the checks.
12-30-2020 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.