ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northeastern @ ODU 12/20 2:00PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Northeastern @ ODU 12/20 2:00PM
(12-20-2020 07:59 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 07:37 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Yeah its weird. Much of the same team as last year but turnovers are way up.gotta figure that up. We cant turn it over and not shoot well

We shot 52 percent, which is the reason we won. Doesn’t get much better.

Yeah my point. We had to shot 52% to win. Thats not gonna happen often.
12-20-2020 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
I have a great appreciation for the work that Harry does, but sometimes I am baffled at the published product. The odusports.com write-up of the Northeastern game is the latest one. I found this to be very awkward:

Quote:Jones said sometimes basketball players are too smart for their own good, and that is the case with Ezikpe, who is not only thoughtful and sensitive, but also a caring person, Jones said.

"Sometimes players can be too smart, too much of a thinker, and I think that's the case for Kalu," Jones said. "He's got to trust he's a good player and he's got to let it go.

"Kalu is so nice. He's really a good person. Maybe he needs to play angry. He's a great player. The more we can get him to play at a higher level, the better we will be."

The lead-in to the quote was too similar to the quote itself. It was almost like reading the same thing twice. I don't think I have seen anything quite like that before.
12-21-2020 07:49 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

So we aren't turning it over as much as i thought on the year; its mainly been confined to the last 2 games. We are borderline top 50 in turnovers on the year 17%. Total number of turnovers are up but thats because we are playing faster this year with the highest tempo we've had since before 1997.

Offense is doing ok, one of our better offenses. Defense has been a trainwreck by our standards. We also aren't grabbing offensive rebounds like we have in the past. On a negative note, we aren't shooting well from 3. On a positive note, our 2 point offense is the best its ever been. We are way better at free throws than we've ever been.

Defensively, we are rebounding ok, but not too our high standards. 2 point defense is down and 2 point defense is way down. We have to get this figured out defensivley. Many of the same players as last year.
12-21-2020 09:50 AM
CalODUFan Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 09:50 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  So we aren't turning it over as much as i thought on the year; its mainly been confined to the last 2 games. We are borderline top 50 in turnovers on the year 17%. Total number of turnovers are up but thats because we are playing faster this year with the highest tempo we've had since before 1997.

Offense is doing ok, one of our better offenses. Defense has been a trainwreck by our standards. We also aren't grabbing offensive rebounds like we have in the past. On a negative note, we aren't shooting well from 3. On a positive note, our 2 point offense is the best its ever been. We are way better at free throws than we've ever been.

Defensively, we are rebounding ok, but not too our high standards. 2 point defense is down and 2 point defense is way down. We have to get this figured out defensivley. Many of the same players as last year.

No Denzel and No Carver and No Wade,
12-21-2020 10:13 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2020 10:13 AM)CalODUFan Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 09:50 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  So we aren't turning it over as much as i thought on the year; its mainly been confined to the last 2 games. We are borderline top 50 in turnovers on the year 17%. Total number of turnovers are up but thats because we are playing faster this year with the highest tempo we've had since before 1997.

No Denzel and No Carver and No Wade,

We haven't had Denzel in years :)

The loss of Carver is certainly felt. We didn't have Wade for a significant portion of last year. Having a worse defense than last year wouldn't be surprising but its way worse than what would reasonably be expected based on our track record.
12-21-2020 10:24 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Other team stats:

We have been below average in transition but very good in half court (surprising). We average .918 ppp in half court which is the top quarter of NCAA. Been good vs man and very good vs zone. Been among the best teams in the nation in isolations (wow?). Very good in pick and rolls. Below average on post ups. Joe Reece has done way better offensively than I expected and Curry way worse.

Defensively, transition defense has been average but poor in half court. Have played better in zone than in man. Based on possessions guarding their opponent, Trice and Hunter have been poor. Reece has been below average. Curry/Green have been average. Kalu/Oliver have been very good.

I think we give up some defense in favor of offense with Reece. It appears we need a better defensive performance from him.
12-21-2020 10:30 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 10:30 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Other team stats:

We have been below average in transition but very good in half court (surprising). We average .918 ppp in half court which is the top quarter of NCAA. Been good vs man and very good vs zone. Been among the best teams in the nation in isolations (wow?). Very good in pick and rolls. Below average on post ups. Joe Reece has done way better offensively than I expected and Curry way worse.

Defensively, transition defense has been average but poor in half court. Have played better in zone than in man. Based on possessions guarding their opponent, Trice and Hunter have been poor. Reece has been below average. Curry/Green have been average. Kalu/Oliver have been very good.

I think we give up some defense in favor of offense with Reece. It appears we need a better defensive performance from him.

Some of this makes no sense. Must be the small sample size.07-coffee3

I am with you on Reece. He has been more in control and is finishing much better than in the past. Still has the occasional gaff but overall is much improved. It seems like his confidence is way up. I’m not understanding how Oliver’s defense has been very good. Seems like he gets beat off the dribble way too many times. I think Green’s defense has been very good and he is usually guarding a better player. The performance in isolation is probably due to Curry.

Against NE I was surprised to see that we shot 52% and 40% from 3 but only scored 66. And that we played average defense at best but held them to 62. And they had way more possessions. To me that points to turnovers. I have seen this sloppy passing all year, not just the last 2 games. They need to stop trying to make the perfect pass. I hope Jones can get that in their head.
12-21-2020 11:32 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

Don't need stats, especially so many, to tell us what our eyes see when we are watching the games. At least those of us that understand the game don't.

Case in point - Yesterday Twardzik mentioned more than once how everybody EXCEPT Oliver was doing a good job in the half court defense, but Oliver was allowing his man to drive by him to the basket which was breaking down the defense. Seems that unlike your stats indicated, Oliver didn't rate "very good" yesterday in "guarding their opponent".

They're below average at post ups because they don't have good post up players - pretty simple to see. They're undersized and playing out of position at center. If they were posting up against 4's instead of 5's they would be much more effective.
12-21-2020 11:54 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 07:49 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  I have a great appreciation for the work that Harry does, but sometimes I am baffled at the published product. The odusports.com write-up of the Northeastern game is the latest one. I found this to be very awkward:

Quote:Jones said sometimes basketball players are too smart for their own good, and that is the case with Ezikpe, who is not only thoughtful and sensitive, but also a caring person, Jones said.

"Sometimes players can be too smart, too much of a thinker, and I think that's the case for Kalu," Jones said. "He's got to trust he's a good player and he's got to let it go.

"Kalu is so nice. He's really a good person. Maybe he needs to play angry. He's a great player. The more we can get him to play at a higher level, the better we will be."

The lead-in to the quote was too similar to the quote itself. It was almost like reading the same thing twice. I don't think I have seen anything quite like that before.

So when Kalu plays angry, he fouls less? OK, whatever. And he’s supposed to play less smart? I don’t know, I think he needs to think about some of those passes before he makes them.
12-21-2020 12:37 PM
CalODUFan Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 12:37 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 07:49 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  I have a great appreciation for the work that Harry does, but sometimes I am baffled at the published product. The odusports.com write-up of the Northeastern game is the latest one. I found this to be very awkward:

So when Kalu plays angry, he fouls less? OK, whatever. And he’s supposed to play less smart? I don’t know, I think he needs to think about some of those passes before he makes them.

We need a real rim protector. Jones should give Shanu some minutes and see what he can do.
12-21-2020 12:55 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2020 11:32 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

I am with you on Reece. He has been more in control and is finishing much better than in the past. Still has the occasional gaff but overall is much improved. It seems like his confidence is way up. I’m not understanding how Oliver’s defense has been very good. Seems like he gets beat off the dribble way too many times. I think Green’s defense has been very good and he is usually guarding a better player. The performance in isolation is probably due to Curry.

Against NE I was surprised to see that we shot 52% and 40% from 3 but only scored 66. And that we played average defense at best but held them to 62. And they had way more possessions. To me that points to turnovers. I have seen this sloppy passing all year, not just the last 2 games. They need to stop trying to make the perfect pass. I hope Jones can get that in their head.

Turnovers were the culprit vs. NE.

Oliver has given up .913 PPP vs. spot up shots. When guarding the P&R ball handeler, he's given up .778. Handoffs .143. He's only been in isolation 1 time and the shooter missed.

X has been ok in spot ups but has really struggled vs. the P&R ball handler (.85 ppp). Hasn't done great vs.jumpers 1.032 ppp and on catch and shoot possessions, he's been poor.
12-21-2020 01:10 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2020 12:55 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  

We need a real rim protector. Jones should give Shanu some minutes and see what he can do.

I can't see taking Trice or Ezikpe off the floor for Shanu.

But, our defense around the rim on non post ups has been extremely good. We are in the top 6% in non post up shots around the rim.

Jump Shots- 0.825 PPP Rank- 24% (below average).
Runners- 0.5 PPP Not enough of a sample (8 times)
Around Basket- 1.373 PPP- 94% (rated as excellent).
Post Ups- .80 PPP- 26% (rated as below average)

Nice to have a rim protector but Ezikpe has done very well in this regard and he's one of our best offensive players. He has done very well in post up defense.

Our defensive strugges really come down to transition and 3 point defense/ spot up shooting. While post ups havent been great, its such a small portion of the game (31 times this season), it's almost meaningless. I am surprised about the lack of transition defense, especially with us not doing well in offensive rebounding.
12-21-2020 01:17 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2020 01:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

But, our defense around the rim on non post ups has been extremely good. We are in the top 6% in non post up shots around the rim.

Nice to have a rim protector but Ezikpe has done very well in this regard and he's one of our best offensive players. He has done very well in post up defense.

Our defensive strugges really come down to transition and 3 point defense/ spot up shooting. While post ups havent been great, its such a small portion of the game (31 times this season), it's almost meaningless. I am surprised about the lack of transition defense, especially with us not doing well in offensive rebounding.

Our struggles across the board come down to two things and you haven't mentioned either of them in all of these stats you keep posting - recruiting and coaching. Or, you could say the two are joined at the hip and it's really just coaching.
12-21-2020 01:26 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2020 01:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

ODU's post ups haven't gone well because they don't have a good post up player, or at least they aren't playing him if they do have one. That's the reason they make it such a small portion of the game. Why do it if you don't have the personnel to do it very well?
12-21-2020 01:31 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Seemed clear the stats were for defense.

Kalu has post up 17 times and scored 16 points, which is very good. As a team, they have posted up 3 times and scored 23 points, which is around average.
12-21-2020 01:35 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2020 01:35 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Seemed clear the stats were for defense.

Kalu has post up 17 times and scored 16 points, which is very good. As a team, they have posted up 3 times and scored 23 points, which is around average.

Doesn't matter. Same players at each end of the court. Starting center Kalu posting up 17 times by your calculations in 5 games averages to just over 1 time per half. In other words, not worth mentioning.
12-21-2020 04:02 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

None of this makes sense. If Kalu posted up 17 times, then how have they posted up only 3 times as a team. Is Kalu not part of the team? And if your numbers for Kalu are right, that is 0.94 PPP, correct? Earlier you said defense around basket was 1.373 PPP which was 94% (excellent). So Kalu is lower than that but he is very good? And if we are ranked that high, what are the PPP for some of the poor teams around the basket?
12-21-2020 04:06 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2020 04:06 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

None of this makes sense. If Kalu posted up 17 times, then how have they posted up only 3 times as a team. Is Kalu not part of the team? And if your numbers for Kalu are right, that is 0.94 PPP, correct? Earlier you said defense around basket was 1.373 PPP which was 94% (excellent). So Kalu is lower than that but he is very good? And if we are ranked that high, what are the PPP for some of the poor teams around the basket?

should have said 31, not 3.

Defense around the basket is different than post ups. Post ups are low quality shots with PPP typically under 0.9. Shots around the basket are made at a very high clip overall as they include layups, dunks, putbacks, etc.
12-21-2020 04:12 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 01:10 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 11:32 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

Turnovers were the culprit vs. NE.

Oliver has given up .913 PPP vs. spot up shots. When guarding the P&R ball handeler, he's given up .778. Handoffs .143. He's only been in isolation 1 time and the shooter missed.

X has been ok in spot ups but has really struggled vs. the P&R ball handler (.85 ppp). Hasn't done great vs.jumpers 1.032 ppp and on catch and shoot possessions, he's been poor.

Is there a stat for how many times Oliver gets beat off the dribble regardless of the situation, whether it be isolation, P&R, or help? Because I don't always remember what situation it was but I see him get beat a lot.
12-21-2020 04:15 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(12-21-2020 04:12 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 04:06 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  

should have said 31, not 3.

Defense around the basket is different than post ups. Post ups are low quality shots with PPP typically under 0.9. Shots around the basket are made at a very high clip overall as they include layups, dunks, putbacks, etc.

Thanks, that does clear things up. For the record, I have no problem with Kalu on offense or defense except for his passing and affinity for stupid fouls. I think he holds his own against the big guys on defense.
12-21-2020 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.