Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise St looking to move on from MWC
MAD MACGYVER Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Boise State
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC
Looks like Boise State was in talks with the AAC after all.

https://twitter.com/BJRains/status/1341134244161024000
12-21-2020 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Yup. Boise would be exactly what Im talking about. Thats a school that adds value on day one.
12-21-2020 05:21 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
Not surprisingly, the impasse is that Boise State wants full membership, but the AAC wants to offer them for football only, and that's a no-go for Boise because the Big West is not inviting Boise to (re)join the BW.

Quote:Emails between Boise State senior associate athletic director and football chief of staff Brad Larrondo and then-athletic director Curt Apsey in August and September show the athletic department worked behind the scenes on a potential move.

“Curt, I spent a little bit more time on Friday and over (the) weekend doing some additional research and calculating relating to the AAC,” Larrondo wrote on Sept. 28. “I know the option of FB and MBB/WBB only is not going to probably work and Big West is not an option either at this time, so we’re down to an all sports move or not moving.”

Apsey responded the next afternoon, writing to Larrondo, “Brad, at this point the AAC has told Dr. (Marlene) Tromp they are only interested in football. I would think that mindset would change if there were other schools in the West up for consideration which I think will eventually happen. Still talking to the president, the AAC and the Big West. Conversations are ongoing.”
12-21-2020 05:40 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(12-21-2020 05:40 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Not surprisingly, the impasse is that Boise State wants full membership, but the AAC wants to offer them for football only, and that's a no-go for Boise because the Big West is not inviting Boise to (re)join the BW.

Quote:Emails between Boise State senior associate athletic director and football chief of staff Brad Larrondo and then-athletic director Curt Apsey in August and September show the athletic department worked behind the scenes on a potential move.

“Curt, I spent a little bit more time on Friday and over (the) weekend doing some additional research and calculating relating to the AAC,” Larrondo wrote on Sept. 28. “I know the option of FB and MBB/WBB only is not going to probably work and Big West is not an option either at this time, so we’re down to an all sports move or not moving.”

Apsey responded the next afternoon, writing to Larrondo, “Brad, at this point the AAC has told Dr. (Marlene) Tromp they are only interested in football. I would think that mindset would change if there were other schools in the West up for consideration which I think will eventually happen. Still talking to the president, the AAC and the Big West. Conversations are ongoing.”

Simple solution. Have the AAC throw the Big West some annual basketball games and baseball games as long as Boise is in both leagues, and call it a day.

UCSB's 2020 men's soccer schedule originally had road games at SMU and USF on it, so it can be done for other sports too.
12-21-2020 05:47 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
"Conversations are ongoing". That's interesting. Would the AAC consider multiple western teams again? Would BYU be interested in joining BSU and SDSU?
12-21-2020 06:15 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Could we see the AAC attempt to add Boise, Air Force and Colorado State in all sports to go to 14 football and 14 basketball programs?

East Division

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane

West Division

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/Wichita
Air Force
Boise
Colorado State
12-21-2020 06:25 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(12-21-2020 06:25 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Could we see the AAC attempt to add Boise, Air Force and Colorado State in all sports to go to 14 football and 14 basketball programs?

East Division

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane

West Division

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/Wichita
Air Force
Boise
Colorado State

Dazzle— I’ve been a proponent of Boise St, BYU, and AFA as the Western expansion for a while.

Alternatively, you could stack on San Diego St and Fresno St for 16.
12-21-2020 06:51 PM
spenser Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-21-2020 06:25 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Could we see the AAC attempt to add Boise, Air Force and Colorado State in all sports to go to 14 football and 14 basketball programs?

East Division

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane

West Division

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/Wichita
Air Force
Boise
Colorado State

Would depend on if ESPN wants to foot the bill, those extra 2 teams drive the per team payout down a lot. Not only do they have to offset the TV payout, but also NCAA Basketball credits, and CFP distribution. Are Air Force and Colorado State/San Diego State worth about a combined 25million per year to control.
12-21-2020 06:53 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(12-21-2020 06:53 PM)spenser Wrote:  

East Division

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane

West Division

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/Wichita
Air Force
Boise
Colorado State

Would depend on if ESPN wants to foot the bill, those extra 2 teams drive the per team payout down a lot. Not only do they have to offset the TV payout, but also NCAA Basketball credits, and CFP distribution. Are Air Force and Colorado State/San Diego State worth about a combined 25million per year to control.

Maybe. If you take any of that group, the MWC’s media deal will be drastically reduced in the next go around. There is value in being THE tweener conference vs one of two.
12-21-2020 07:01 PM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BYU
(12-21-2020 06:15 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  "Conversations are ongoing". That's interesting. Would the AAC consider multiple western teams again? Would BYU be interested in joining BSU and SDSU?

I've heard no rumblings and the story published from the emails from Boise State certainly didn't make it sound like they had multiple teams lined up. Though a local media member did a twitter poll that was about 60% favorable to BYU joining the AAC along with Boise State, so there's that. 05-stirthepot
12-21-2020 07:09 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Boise couldn’t win the MWC this year. Sure you want them, fanbois? Is your head honcho going to allow the blue field??
12-21-2020 07:57 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-21-2020 05:47 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 05:40 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Not surprisingly, the impasse is that Boise State wants full membership, but the AAC wants to offer them for football only, and that's a no-go for Boise because the Big West is not inviting Boise to (re)join the BW.

Simple solution. Have the AAC throw the Big West some annual basketball games and baseball games as long as Boise is in both leagues, and call it a day.

UCSB's 2020 men's soccer schedule originally had road games at SMU and USF on it, so it can be done for other sports too.

What about the WAC? Sounds like its about to become far more stable conference than it has been in the past few years and it probably would be more than happy to take them. Seattle, NMSU, Grand Canyon University (Phoenix), Dixie St (Utah), Utah Valley---and likely 6 Texas schools coming on board when its all said and done. I suspect those Texas schools will be in another division so the Bronco's wont have to travel there much. The real key is the the league will finally have the kind of numbers that will make the WAC pretty stable.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2020 08:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-21-2020 08:40 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(12-21-2020 07:09 PM)f1do Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 06:15 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  "Conversations are ongoing". That's interesting. Would the AAC consider multiple western teams again? Would BYU be interested in joining BSU and SDSU?

I've heard no rumblings and the story published from the emails from Boise State certainly didn't make it sound like they had multiple teams lined up. Though a local media member did a twitter poll that was about 60% favorable to BYU joining the AAC along with Boise State, so there's that. 05-stirthepot

The BSU rep makes it sound as if they are still trying to work all angles. Probably talking to other MWC schools as well as BYU hoping to make a western AAC wing in order to get the all sports invite. Not a lot to this yet but hey, we've had very long threads on less smoke that this.
12-21-2020 08:45 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(12-21-2020 07:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Boise couldn’t win the MWC this year. Sure you want them, fanbois? Is your head honcho going to allow the blue field??

It's really funny. I understand why it is Boise and would cope just fine - but you have an AAU member in the natural AAC footprint that also does a REALLY GOOD job of being a team player (Rice)... ...and nothing on our end?
12-21-2020 08:56 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
“Brad, at this point the AAC has told Dr. (Marlene) Tromp they are only interested in football. I would think that mindset would change if there were other schools in the West up for consideration which I think will eventually happen. Still talking to the president, the AAC and the Big West. Conversations are ongoing.”

Seems like they believe that FB only would be temporary while they lobby BYU & SDSU to bring up a western wing and promote themselves to full membership. Everyone wins as long as ESPN is willing to pay for it. That'd be worthy of an autobid in the expanded CFP.

East:
UCF
Cincinnati
ECU
Temple
usf
Tulane
Memphis

West:
Houston
Navy / Wichita St
SMU
Tulsa
Boise
BYU
SDSU
12-21-2020 08:56 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-21-2020 08:40 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 05:47 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

What about the WAC? Sounds like its about to become far more stable conference than it has been in the past few years and it probably would be more than happy to take them. Seattle, NMSU, Grand Canyon University (Phoenix), Dixie St (Utah), Utah Valley---and likely 6 Texas schools coming on board when its all said and done. I suspect those Texas schools will be in another division so the Bronco's wont have to travel there much. The real key is the the league will finally have the kind of numbers that will make the WAC pretty stable.

If the AAC member schools thought that Boise State would be a gigantic benefit to them and their conference, they would have already offered full membership.

If Boise State was desperate to get out of the Mountain West, they would have dumped all of their other sports in any conference they could find, even the WAC.

But neither of those have happened, so it's likely that neither Boise nor the AAC members are dead-set on it. Maybe when all the ADs and school presidents take a hard look at their own interests and practical considerations, this one goes into the "Sounds nice, but" category rather than the "Must have" category.
12-21-2020 09:03 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I just don't see it. Maybe if BYU wants to join with Boise.

AAC has a gap over the CUSA/MAC/Sun Belt, but an unbeaten team from those conferences may still top their champ if they aren't unbeaten. Boise and BYU increase the chance of not being unbeaten. And it adds a lot of travel. They would have to have a big jump in strength to justify it.
12-21-2020 09:16 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(12-21-2020 06:51 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

East Division

Temple
ECU
UCF
USF
Cincinnati
Memphis
Tulane

West Division

Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Navy/Wichita
Air Force
Boise
Colorado State

Dazzle— I’ve been a proponent of Boise St, BYU, and AFA as the Western expansion for a while.

Alternatively, you could stack on San Diego St and Fresno St for 16.

I would be fine with that F-M.
12-21-2020 09:36 PM
bill dazzle Offline

(12-21-2020 07:57 PM)esayem Wrote:  Boise couldn’t win the MWC this year. Sure you want them, fanbois? Is your head honcho going to allow the blue field??

Hey, I'm Mr. Bill Dazz-Fanboi to you, esayem. Show your elder some respect.
12-21-2020 09:38 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
After Boise State backed out of the Indy Bowl, they can go to the Pac12.... Them and USC are a bunch of spoiled brats... lost all respect for USC and Boise St this bowl season both afraid of playing ARMY
12-21-2020 09:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.