Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

All Things Realignment 2.0
Bookmark and Share
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: All Things Realignment 2.0
I'm no expert, but it seems logical that more people would be interested if everyone believed they had a reasonably fair shot.

12-22-2020 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(12-22-2020 12:16 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I'm no expert, but it seems logical that more people would be interested if everyone believed they had a reasonably fair shot.

I am a watching tv expert though and my observation is, the more games that are on, the more games I watch.

12-22-2020 12:20 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-22-2020 11:56 AM)skylinecat Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 11:41 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:47 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I was listening to a National podcast yesterday (Barton & Elliott) and they made the point that right now college football west of Texas is no relevant. This is because ESPN and the college football has concentrated so much into the southeast (plus Ohio State and Notre Dame). The last team west of Baton Rouge to win the NC was Texas in 2005.

In their opinion CFB needs to expand the playoff not because the 7th of 8th seeds will be capable of winning it all, but to keep interest across all time zones and to ensure there is a level of fairness. These are guys that did not believe in an 8 team playoff prior to this weekend.

https://mobile.twitter.com/247Sports/sta...0431310852

The bolded above is a great point. The powers in college football are short sighted. They think everyone wants to see Alabama vs. Notre Dame and Ohio State vs. Clemson every year, but in the long term, fans of everyone but a dozen or so teams are going to lose interest in the sport because there is nothing to play for.

I also think the talent would spread out a bit if there was a set system where we knew say 16 teams have a chance to win the CFP. It might not happen immediately, but even taking UC out of the equation a lot of kids that are going to clemson or alabama now and sitting 3rd on the depth chart for 3 years would rather go to a UNC or FSU and get into the playoff by their sophomore or junior season.

Without question. OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU and Oklahoma have put put together monster classes since the CFP began. It’s no coincidence. They have the best recruiting classes yet again.

Heck, when OSU won their national title back in 2002 a lot of those guys were only three and low four star recruits.

12-22-2020 12:23 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 09:47 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I was listening to a National podcast yesterday (Barton & Elliott) and they made the point that right now college football west of Texas is no relevant. This is because ESPN and the college football has concentrated so much into the southeast (plus Ohio State and Notre Dame). The last team west of Baton Rouge to win the NC was Texas in 2005.

In their opinion CFB needs to expand the playoff not because the 7th of 8th seeds will be capable of winning it all, but to keep interest across all time zones and to ensure there is a level of fairness. These are guys that did not believe in an 8 team playoff prior to this weekend.

https://mobile.twitter.com/247Sports/sta...0431310852

Joel Klatt is also now pushing for expansion, to 16 teams and he sites the reason as the health of the sport. With only 5-6 teams ever having a realistic shot it has resulted in even more concentration of the top players and he no longer believes that’s a healthy situation and more and more teams become irrelevant.

A 16 team playoff is the dream scenario where each conference champ gets in and 6 at large bids. I think when expansion comes we are going to get 8 to Star with, but ultimately everyone should be pushing for 16 as it’s the option that gives everyone a fair shot. I also think it would end up making College Football even more popular.

For what it’s worth, he was also against expansion in the past.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020 12:27 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
12-22-2020 12:24 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
He's right on with the comment re: health of the sport. If competitiveness of the teams in other conferences/etc is relevant, then ND should never get in either. They lose about every game they play a real power team. That Clemson win without their qb and 3 or 4 other starters was bogus and everybody knew it. Let some other teams take a crack at it, and the easy way to do it is expand the field. Nobody likes a sport where the underdog doesn't get a chance.

12-22-2020 01:20 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Harsin leaving BSU for Auburn means I'm rescinding everything I said about adding them to the conference 03-lmfao

12-22-2020 06:21 PM
The Big O Offline
Special Teams

He probably saw the writing on the wall with them having a slow decline.

12-22-2020 06:25 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 01:20 PM)dsquare Wrote:  He's right on with the comment re: health of the sport. If competitiveness of the teams in other conferences/etc is relevant, then ND should never get in either. They lose about every game they play a real power team. That Clemson win without their qb and 3 or 4 other starters was bogus and everybody knew it. Let some other teams take a crack at it, and the easy way to do it is expand the field. Nobody likes a sport where the underdog doesn't get a chance.

Absolutely! He doesn’t go into details from what I recall but a 16 Team Playoff with every Conference Champ getting an autobid with 6 at large bids would be perfect. I don’t see it happening, but that would be the best for the sport overall.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020 06:34 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
12-22-2020 06:32 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(12-22-2020 06:21 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Harsin leaving BSU for Auburn means I'm rescinding everything I said about adding them to the conference 03-lmfao

Yeah their time is done up there. They made the most of it though. So good for them.

12-22-2020 06:37 PM
BearcatMan Offline

Only thing with a 16 teamer that has all conference hcamps getting a bid, you've got to have some sort of "this tall to ride" benchmark for quality. Maybe if you have more than 3 losses you are ineligible for the playoff, regardless of being a conference champion, that way you don't have 6-6 MAC champ making it and bumping a good team out of an at-Large.

12-22-2020 06:38 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 06:21 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Harsin leaving BSU for Auburn means I'm rescinding everything I said about adding them to the conference 03-lmfao

Harsin has lost at least 2 games in every season at Boise and the highest he has has them ranked is #13. When he took over they were consistently getting into the top 10 every year. Personally, I’m not sold on him.

Now, who fills Boise? Would they consider someone like Marcus Freeman and would Freeman be interested?

12-22-2020 06:39 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(12-22-2020 06:39 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

Harsin has lost at least 2 games in every season at Boise and the highest he has has them ranked is #13. When he took over they were consistently getting into the top 10 every year. Personally, I’m not sold on him.

Now, who fills Boise? Would they consider someone like Marcus Freeman and would Freeman be interested?

That would be a TERRIBLE move for Freeman. Theyre an "offensive" program and all of his recruiting ties are Ohio/Midwest. I genuinely think Denbrock would be an interesting candidate though.

12-22-2020 06:41 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 06:38 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Only thing with a 16 teamer that has all conference hcamps getting a bid, you've got to have some sort of "this tall to ride" benchmark for quality. Maybe if you have more than 3 losses you are ineligible for the playoff, regardless of being a conference champion, that way you don't have 6-6 MAC champ making it and bumping a good team out of an at-Large.

With every champ in and 6 at large bids is there really any room for a team to complain that doesn’t make the cut?

I get your point, but whether it’s a 6-6 Mac champ or a 9-3 Mac champ they are going to get fed to the top team and have little chance to win.

12-22-2020 06:43 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 06:41 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

That would be a TERRIBLE move for Freeman. Theyre an "offensive" program and all of his recruiting ties are Ohio/Midwest. I genuinely think Denbrock would be an interesting candidate though.

I think it depends on how you look at it. For a first time HC that’s probably about the best job he could get.

Maybe I have too much confidence in Freeman, but I think he would be successful there. He would obviously have to rely on the right staff, but once he gets in the door he is going to be able to recruit anywhere and I’m not sure he is necessarily tied to the Midwest as much as Fick is. Offense/defense is less important than being a leader who people will follow. Luke is considered a defensive genius, but his most important attribute is that he is a natural leader who people seem to gravitate towards.

I hope you are right and neither side is interested. I don’t see his name being thrown by Boise fans and as I expected most don’t seem too upset Harsin is leaving.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020 07:03 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
12-22-2020 06:49 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
He was doing the Butch Jones World Tour. Started giving google eyes to Arizona.
Alabama fans are guffawing.

12-22-2020 07:18 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-22-2020 06:49 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

I think it depends on how you look at it. For a first time HC that’s probably about the best job he could get.

Maybe I have too much confidence in Freeman, but I think he would be successful there. He would obviously have to rely on the right staff, but once he gets in the door he is going to be able to recruit anywhere and I’m not sure he is necessarily tied to the Midwest as much as Fick is. Offense/defense is less important than being a leader who people will follow. Luke is considered a defensive genius, but his most important attribute is that he is a natural leader who people seem to gravitate towards.

I hope you are right and neither side is interested. I don’t see his name being thrown by Boise fans and as I expected most don’t seem too upset Harsin is leaving.

Looks like Oregon’s defensive coordinator is one of the top candidates. He is a former Boise player. Other names mostly western guys

12-22-2020 09:07 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(12-22-2020 09:07 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 06:49 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

Looks like Oregon’s defensive coordinator is one of the top candidates. He is a former Boise player. Other names mostly western guys

Yea, from the names I hear we are good, for now.

I was never that impressed with Harsin. He left Boise in significantly worse shape then he took over IMO. I think they could benefit from a new coach. Of course they have to make the right hire though.

12-22-2020 09:17 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

In terms of realignment, I hope we do land a Boise, BYU, SDSU group. I know we don’t need more travel expenses, but we need to do everything we can to improve our conference and that would make it significantly better. No idea if we can get ESPN to pay extra for adding teams, but it adds future value and helps legitimize us as leaps ahead of the G4 and close to the bottom P5 conferences.

12-22-2020 09:21 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(12-22-2020 09:21 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  In terms of realignment, I hope we do land a Boise, BYU, SDSU group. I know we don’t need more travel expenses, but we need to do everything we can to improve our conference and that would make it significantly better. No idea if we can get ESPN to pay extra for adding teams, but it adds future value and helps legitimize us as leaps ahead of the G4 and close to the bottom P5 conferences.

I agree, but it's only worth it if two things happen as a result: 1) ESPN adds money to our TV deal, and 2) we can convince Gonzaga to come along (hopefully balanced out in the east with Dayton or VCU)

I really think it's important to lift the basketball profile. Right now there's only 2-3 strong programs each year. We're in danger of becoming the C-USA circa 2005-2010. Adding 3-4 more strong programs (SDSU, Gonzaga, BYU, Dayton) would immediately move us past the PAC-12 and fix that.

If we don't get more money and still are mediocre at basketball, what's the point of going West?

12-23-2020 01:14 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(12-22-2020 06:43 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 06:38 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Only thing with a 16 teamer that has all conference hcamps getting a bid, you've got to have some sort of "this tall to ride" benchmark for quality. Maybe if you have more than 3 losses you are ineligible for the playoff, regardless of being a conference champion, that way you don't have 6-6 MAC champ making it and bumping a good team out of an at-Large.

With every champ in and 6 at large bids is there really any room for a team to complain that doesn’t make the cut?

I get your point, but whether it’s a 6-6 Mac champ or a 9-3 Mac champ they are going to get fed to the top team and have little chance to win.

Was going to post something similar. A "this tall to ride" benchmark just seems like an unnecessary can of worms to open. You win (your conference), you're in.

12-23-2020 03:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.