ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU @ feces
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU @ feces
When does Broderick's term officially end? After the Spring 2021 semester?
12-16-2020 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 09:00 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 08:36 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 08:13 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 10:20 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I don't buy that they can't afford to fire him. His buyout is not astronomical and you can negotiate to pay it over a period of time. Someone came up with $5 mil to keep our athletic admin from taking pay cuts, I am sure they can find the money to replace JJ. Beyond that, it is a move that will pay for itself if you hire the right guy and create some excitement around that program.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If season ticket holders sign a petition stating that they will not renew their tickets as long as JJ is coach then one of two things will happen. JJ gets fired OR banish the program. Would hate to see the latter happen but can't stand tp continue to watch what is happening to this program!

I thought it was embarrassing when Richmond pulled a similar stunt and it would be if ODU fans did so as well.

We are not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Doesn't mean its not legitimate for people to want change.

Our record says we are slightly ahead of W&M and Norfolk State and don't have the athletes to be competitive with higher level mid-majors (VCU may be better than expected) or lower level P5 schools (the #11 in the Big Ten prediction for Maryland is looking generous). Looking like we are a middle of the pack CUSA team, hopefully not worse than that, but no evidence we are any better than that.

Do you compare programs by win/loss record 5 games in?

Maryland has lost to 2 top 25 teams, why is #11 in the Big 10 generous?
12-16-2020 12:18 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 10:42 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  A petition may be embarrassing, but so is the state of our program. The state of our program is noticed on the national stage, and petition is mostly in house. If the choice is between keeping the status quo or creating a petition, I will take the latter option.

What ranking would you need us to be in order to not believe our program is embarrassing?
12-16-2020 12:20 PM
757ODU Offline
All American

(12-16-2020 12:20 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 10:42 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  A petition may be embarrassing, but so is the state of our program. The state of our program is noticed on the national stage, and petition is mostly in house. If the choice is between keeping the status quo or creating a petition, I will take the latter option.

What ranking would you need us to be in order to not believe our program is embarrassing?

Giles the program has gotten ugly over the past two years. You really had to consider how far off we are when you watched that ODU/VCU game. That woke me up.
12-16-2020 12:34 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 12:34 PM)757ODU Wrote:  

Giles the program has gotten ugly over the past two years. You really had to consider how far off we are when you watched that ODU/VCU game. That woke me up.

It was certainly ugly vs. VCU and all of last year. There is zero doubt about that.
12-16-2020 12:49 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(12-16-2020 12:49 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

It was certainly ugly vs. VCU and all of last year. There is zero doubt about that.

That's part of it. But most of us could handle a little downturn if we were rebuilding. However, this is a veteran team. What are we going to look like when we lose Curry and Trice next year? What star players do we have that we can develop and take their places?

That's why we need a change. Not just because of last year and this year, but because we don't have much hope for next year either.

I don't want to pile on Green, but what in the world has happened to him? He was so good as a sophomore, arguably the best player on the team down the stretch heading into the NCAAs. It's like he totally forgot how to play.
12-16-2020 02:08 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-16-2020 02:08 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

That's part of it. But most of us could handle a little downturn if we were rebuilding. However, this is a veteran team. What are we going to look like when we lose Curry and Trice next year? What star players do we have that we can develop and take their places?

That's why we need a change. Not just because of last year and this year, but because we don't have much hope for next year either.

I don't want to pile on Green, but what in the world has happened to him? He was so good as a sophomore, arguably the best player on the team down the stretch heading into the NCAAs. It's like he totally forgot how to play.

This year doesn’t count towards eligibility, so if they can afford to carry the added scholarships and those guys want to come back, they’ll be back.
12-16-2020 02:12 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't think this team ends up being bad. I think I predicted them around the 100 mark, which seems about right. VCU was certainly a heartbreaker but we have more games to judge where we are. We've won the games we should have and got blown out in the 2 games we should have lost. If this year ends up being like last year, I don't think anyone will want Jones back. I don't see that being the case but time will tell.

Hopefully O'Connel and Shanu develop this year. We'll also have another developmental year from Reece, Ezikpe, Oliver, and Hunter and 3 guards coming in. Im not saying next year will be great or not but the cupboard is not bare for Jones or any other potential coach. I don't see why next year will be a significantly worse team.

I wish I knew about Green. Doesn't seem like he can regain his confidence. Im not sure if its the yips or not but whatever he's doing with his feet on a his jumpshots (i don't remember that in his fresh/soph year but maybe it was there) doesn't seem to be working.
12-16-2020 02:17 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2020 02:12 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 12:20 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  What ranking would you need us to be in order to not believe our program is embarrassing?

This year doesn’t count towards eligibility, so if they can afford to carry the added scholarships and those guys want to come back, they’ll be back.

Thanks. Not sure if that's good or not. At least we won't be totally depleted.
12-16-2020 02:27 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-16-2020 02:27 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 02:12 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 12:34 PM)757ODU Wrote:  Giles the program has gotten ugly over the past two years. You really had to consider how far off we are when you watched that ODU/VCU game. That woke me up.

Thanks. Not sure if that's good or not. At least we won't be totally depleted.

Well, as we’ve seen with football, just because they can come back doesn’t mean we want them to (a lot of scholarships not being extended) or they want to (Keion transferring). So your point still stands, but if we can bring Curry back for another year, I’d gladly take it.
12-16-2020 04:35 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Id even roll out the red carpet for Curry.
12-16-2020 04:39 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I'm quite excited about Rahne's recruiting class. It's ODU's highest rated football class ever, surpassing only his first class last year.

Granted, they still have to perform on the field, but he's showing that it can be done. Would love to hear something like that from JJ.
12-16-2020 05:01 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

FWIW- we actually have an outstanding class coming in next year.

Assuming Trice does leave, he will be replaced by Stephan Morris. We also have 3 guards coming in, highlighted by Jadin Johnson, who is one of the best recruits we've had over the past decade.
12-16-2020 05:31 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(12-16-2020 05:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  FWIW- we actually have an outstanding class coming in next year.

Assuming Trice does leave, he will be replaced by Stephan Morris. We also have 3 guards coming in, highlighted by Jadin Johnson, who is one of the best recruits we've had over the past decade.

Refresh my memory, what are the details on Stephan Morris? I'm still trying to keep our incoming people straight.
12-16-2020 05:49 PM
RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

(12-16-2020 05:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  FWIW- we actually have an outstanding class coming in next year.

Heck Giles, we have heard ‘outstanding class’ coming in next year so many times, it has gotten to be a total joke. When the year arrives, they sit on the bench and never see the court. Then they transfer. Over and over, like a broken record. So, do tell, why would next year’s class be any better/different? To me, same coaching staff, same poor results....
12-16-2020 06:51 PM
Justice2318 Offline
Special Teams

Long should be able to play now with the blanket waiver the NCAA granted all D1 Athletes
12-16-2020 06:53 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 05:49 PM)Nukesquad Wrote:  

Refresh my memory, what are the details on Stephan Morris? I'm still trying to keep our incoming people straight.

6-8 or 6-9 big man from Kilgore. Will play 2 years.
12-16-2020 06:54 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Long is eligible immediately. Blanket waivers
12-16-2020 06:54 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2020 02:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 12:20 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  What ranking would you need us to be in order to not believe our program is embarrassing?

I don't think this team ends up being bad. I think I predicted them around the 100 mark, which seems about right. VCU was certainly a heartbreaker but we have more games to judge where we are. We've won the games we should have and got blown out in the 2 games we should have lostgot blown out in the 2 games we should have lost. If this year ends up being like last year, I don't think anyone will want Jones back. I don't see that being the case but time will tell.

Hopefully O'Connel and Shanu develop this year. We'll also have another developmental year from Reece, Ezikpe, Oliver, and Hunter and 3 guards coming in. Im not saying next year will be great or not but the cupboard is not bare for Jones or any other potential coach. I don't see why next year will be a significantly worse team.

I wish I knew about Green. Doesn't seem like he can regain his confidence. Im not sure if its the yips or not but whatever he's doing with his feet on a his jumpshots (i don't remember that in his fresh/soph year but maybe it was there) doesn't seem to be working.

You lost me at "got blown out in the 2 games we should have lost".

If ODU was where they should be with a veteran team like this, they should be a threat to win most any game, especially so against a rebuilding Maryland team and a rebuilding VCU team.

The time for making excuses or giving hopeful responses that maybe this player or that player will quickly improve has past. Players that sit the bench don't tend to improve. Players that didn't improve during the off season don't tend to improve during the season.

I agree with your statement that next season won't necessarily be worse. By the same token, this season won't necessarily be worse than last season either. Unfortunately, in both cases those statements aren't necessarily saying very much for the state of the teams.
12-16-2020 08:30 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 08:30 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 02:17 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 12:34 PM)757ODU Wrote:  Giles the program has gotten ugly over the past two years. You really had to consider how far off we are when you watched that ODU/VCU game. That woke me up.

I don't think this team ends up being bad. I think I predicted them around the 100 mark, which seems about right. VCU was certainly a heartbreaker but we have more games to judge where we are. We've won the games we should have and got blown out in the 2 games we should have lostgot blown out in the 2 games we should have lost. If this year ends up being like last year, I don't think anyone will want Jones back. I don't see that being the case but time will tell.

You lost me at "got blown out in the 2 games we should have lost".

If ODU was where they should be with a veteran team like this, they should be a threat to win most any game, especially so against a rebuilding Maryland team and a rebuilding VCU team.

The time for making excuses or giving hopeful responses that maybe this player or that player will quickly improve has past. Players that sit the bench don't tend to improve. Players that didn't improve during the off season don't tend to improve during the season.

I agree with your statement that next season won't necessarily be worse. By the same token, this season won't necessarily be worse than last season either. Unfortunately, in both cases those statements aren't necessarily saying very much for the state of the teams.

Agree. A veteran ODU team should be able to compete well with a down Maryland squad (and maybe win), and should certainly be expected to beat a VCU team full of freshman. Frankly, its embarrassing that we were expected to lose by 8 according to Vegas. No respect. And then to actually still get beat way worse.... obviously, Im still not over it.
12-16-2020 09:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.